Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I am at a deciding point now too and I'm leaning towards the new HTC10, a Samsung 7 Edge, or the LG G5. Granted, I am already on Android but I switched to that from WP 2 years ago and want desperately to jump back. If I get an Android phone again I imagine I will never go back to WP barring some miraculous turn around by MS, and I really don't see that happening by any stretch of the imagination.

If I knew a good WP that could run Continuum and with a 5+ inch screen or so was coming to Sprint I would wait. But even when great phones like the 950XL or HP Elite X3 are released they never make it to Sprint; or you have to spend $650 on an unlocked phone. And yes, I know I can save money by buying it unlocked but that is not how the overwhelming majority of cell phone buyers purchase phones, including me.

MS has had their market share drop by half the last year and MS's own lack of effort is the reason why. When you walk into a carrier store and can't even see or buy a WP then MS isn't even trying. MS needs to do whatever it needs to do to get WP in front of consumers. Saying WP is not their priority this year is absurdly confusing and frustrating to me. If it isn't now after their slide last year my impression is MS is abandoning WP; there really is no other logical reason for that statement.

So no decision to make if I don't have the option to even get it on my carrier.

anon(9668900)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
There's one feature of Windows Phone that isn't there on Android and iOS. This works with many apps. I'll give an example.

I wanted to scan a document today, and was feeling too lazy to walk down to the photocopier's, so I tapped CamScanner.

The screen said "Resuming..." and then back to Start.

I tapped CamScanner again.

The screen said "Loading..." and then back to Start.

There's no other phone with such a valuable tutorial on Deja Vu.

P.S. Both Office Lens and CamScanner (and many other apps) are still doing that, after a couple of soft-resets. I've already hard-reset my phone twice recently after upgrading to Windows 10 and having to get out of Insider Preview (Fast), so I can't do anything about that.

barnyr

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
@KSGx12
This feature is also available on Android Marshmallow. It works with RoboForm, CCH Mobile, a couple different mileage log apps to name a few. My kids also have this feature on their iphones with various games and school apps they try to open.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I am in the same position you were in. I have a 950XL and am being drawn back for the S7 Edge. I think the hardware in the 950 is great, but things are just a bit too clunky for me I think. The 2 things keeping me on WP are Cortana and Live Tiles, although I have seen in this thread I can do both on the S7. I think the other thing is the cost. I already shelled out $700 for the 950XL and the thought of doing it again is painful.

Cortana isn't half bad on Android...I use it in conjunction with Google Now.

Peter Zanutto GSC

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I have a question for those of you that have already made the switch to either iOS or Android (there seems to be quite a few). Why are you still hanging out in a forum for Windows Phone? I'm not asking this to be sarcastic or anything, I'm just truly curious because I can't imagine that if I moved on I would bother taking the time to still hang out here but maybe that's just me.

I come to this forum hoping to get some info on the latest workarounds, issues, or features since I'm in the Insider program but I constantly have to wade through pages and pages of complaints, whining, and general negativity to find anything useful. I'll admit that I don't get the almost morbid focus on the negative.

Kar98

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking at the Nexus 5X really hard right now after the latest built caused our 640s to enter an endless reboot cycle when there was no WiFi available.

I picked up a Alcatel OneTouch Fierce XL on Friday to replace my 640 that faceplanted and shattered the screen earlier that day. No ATT gophone 640 to be found. $99 for the Android version, in a Walmart StraightTalk box. Holy crap, there's APPS! And even the few apps that exist, by name anyway, for Windows Phone are 5,400% more functional on Android. So I ordered a pair Samsung Galaxies for me and the wife, and we're out. No more "soon!" when everything already exists, just not for Windows Phone users. I had the HP Jornada 540, a bunch of XDAs, the T-Mobile Wing (also a HTC), Lumia 521, 925, 635, 640, 1320 and now I'm just out because after over a decade of "soon! for sure the next time we reboot the entire ecosystem!" I just can't anymore. Done.

hereandthere21

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi Guys,
Been a long time Reader of WCentral and this is my first post on the Forum.

Have been a Nokia user since 2000, then in 2003 I got a HP Ipaq and so my Windows "mobile" adventure started.
I saw that HTC made a Windows phone and i jumped right on the bandwagon thinking this will be the future.
But no one at Microsoft at that time saw that Stylus is too cumbersome for everyday use.
After i saw that MS is going nowhere I ditched the HTC and got myself first iPhone.

I really liked iPhone with all it?s quirkiness at the beginning (using external GPS antenna to work with Navigon, no Bluetooth for transfering the files...) but after two costly repairs i decide to try the Android and so i got the Samsung S2.
Good phone, nice camera, but the updates at that time were iffy and phone got slower with every update.

I was looking at first Lumias but somehow wasn?t convinced by Nokia until 1520 came out.
I got the phone right after Launch and this phone i really liked. It was huge as a brick, it had a killer screen, super camera, battery could hold out for a while.
But the app part was starting to show ist ugly face. Coming from iOS and Android ecosystems i got used to some apps that were sorely missing on WP or had crappy WP Version - Twitter, Instagram and especially LinkedIn. Horrible app.

I started to promote WPhones to my family and friends, and so i managed to get 2 N520, a N521, a 1020 for my girl (great phone even today), 630 and couple of 640s.

And then last year on my flight to Malaysia my trusted N1520 got jibbed. All i had was my backup 520 running one of early builds of Insider W10 mobile.
This is when my hate for W10 started. The phone wasn?t bordeline unusable - it was unusable:
it would drop the wifi after 30 seconds, black start screen, lag, restarts.

After my trip i ordered the 640, a stop gap device - cause at that time there was nothing to replace the N1520.
Then after the first stable build of W10 1511 was up i loaded it and the phone was happily chugging along with the W10.
And then the Redstone update came.

This was the dealbreaker for me. I know you are going to say, ist a Insider build....
But how it f*** up my phone it?s on epic scale.

First my 128GB SD Card went straight away corrupt leaving me without 80% of the apps.
The phone would try to fix it but it would faily every time.
I can use the card without performing the scan but only after 2-3 minutes the Icons of the apps would appear.
Then it messed up Here Drive. It couldnt Launch. Nada. All my maps on the SD card were there but the W10 would try to upload them again every time i restarted the phone.
The phone restarted many times by itself.
The edge crashed 10-20 times a day.
Half of other apps were crashing - that worked before.
Camera app would take Picture and then i couldnt see the Picture.
Videos from whatsapp i couldnt play.
And on and on....

I just got tired of being a Microsoft Windows Mobile Guinea pig, trying to reason with myself, oh maybe in 6 months when Universal apps get here it will be roses.

It won?t.
Microsoft took a nice concept and then ran it to the ground 4 times.
With first Windows Phone, than WP 7/ 7.5, than 8 / 8.1 and now WP10.
Each time messing up Faithfull users and more importantly the developers.

Ist so simple.
You had a great phone Company - Nokia. You burned it to the ground.
All you need is couple of low/mid/high phones ranging from 4?? to 6?? and not 64 Versions of same crap that is 530/532/535/540/630/635/640/730/735
And then you have absolute gems in your Hands with N1020 and N1520 and you just blew it. I dont consider 950XL to be succesor to N1520.

And most important pay the freaking developers to develop for WP because no one is willing to develop for a platform that has 2% of the market!
At least for "necessary" apps like Facebook, Instagram, Linked, Snapchat...

I jumped the ship and bought LG G4.
Loaded up all the MS stuff - Outlook, Office apps, even my MS Band works flawlesly on Android. Outlook on Andorid is 10 times better than on WP. Skype just works and looks great on Android!

I was like WTF. For premium Microsoft Mobile experience i needed to get a freaking Android???

I still have 640 but ist unusable, so i will wait like with my N520 half or one year until stable Redstone W10 is out. Or maybe the MS will drop support for 640? They might ditch the WP10 all together.

Anyway long rant short, if you wanna stick with Microsoft ecosystem - just buy a descent Android.

Last edited:

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I have a question for those of you that have already made the switch to either iOS or Android (there seems to be quite a few). Why are you still hanging out in a forum for Windows Phone? I'm not asking this to be sarcastic or anything, I'm just truly curious because I can't imagine that if I moved on I would bother taking the time to still hang out here but maybe that's just me.

I come to this forum hoping to get some info on the latest workarounds, issues, or features since I'm in the Insider program but I constantly have to wade through pages and pages of complaints, whining, and general negativity to find anything useful. I'll admit that I don't get the almost morbid focus on the negative.

I was cuz we still own three WPs (Ativ S/L1020/L830) and was just waiting for something somewhere somehow someway, my 830 was my only hope yet there doesn't seem to be any end in sight and little in the way of handsets that get my blood flowin, 2017 is too much of a wait betting things will have changed or MS will even deliver... Today I decided to go all-in on the Android front and purchased a Galaxy S7 to compliment my G4 or the other way around, time to move on and forward.

Last edited:

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Just to be clear, MS doesn't care about us the 2%. If we left, again its a financial windfall as they lose $ on every Lumia sold, see Paul Thurrott. The worst executed software beta, aka W10 Mobile, is proof of this lack of concern for existing customers, and they are not too worried about gaining new customers presently either, evidenced by zero marketing for the "flagships" 950 and 950XL. Face it, you do not matter to MS.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I have a question for those of you that have already made the switch to either iOS or Android (there seems to be quite a few). Why are you still hanging out in a forum for Windows Phone? I'm not asking this to be sarcastic or anything, I'm just truly curious because I can't imagine that if I moved on I would bother taking the time to still hang out here but maybe that's just me..

There's many reasons. Maybe I just like tech? I hope for Windows Mobile to be great? Or at least improve enough for me to possibly return?

I can be disappointed in the state of things but still follow the forum and blog. I hope that my 640 will get the official update. I like the platform just not how it is right now.

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
You had a great phone Company - Nokia. You burned it to the ground.
All you need is couple of low/mid/high phones ranging from 4?? to 6?? and not 64 Versions of same crap that is 530/532/535/540/630/635/640/730/735
And then you have absolute gems in your Hands with N1020 and N1520 and you just blew it. I dont consider 950XL to be succesor to N1520.

Perfectly said. As a die hard fan of Nokia, it angers me what MS did to a great company. They used Nokia as a gunia pig and now say it's not their priority. After failed experiement of WP7, they did it again and are still doing it. They went from WP8 to 8.1 and now W10 to redstone just in 3 years, but nothings more than changing OS numbers. Now W10 has become almost skinned android wih limited functionality. What they brag is continum, which itself is imperfect, already invented by Nokia long ago. Just a fancy name, nothing more. No one is talking about basic features, system stability, better app experience (atleast for whatever are available). Then why did not they study android beforehand and made it similar from the start? Atleast similar to symbian.

Edge is a big joke. Most of the webpages open with some error or rendered incorectly. They already had IE which is far evolved, why did they not improved it with whatever they claim edge has? Why scratch completely it, start afreash every time and ruin everyhing? Now IE is not getting any better, edge is a crap, users are left with nothing. But Android is still with Chrome for so manny years and making it better bit by bit everyime. They need not invent new browser but changed whatever damn codes and it works great.

Same with OS, Android is Still Android with version they keep on improvising. But with MS everytime...start something new, experiment with itfor sometime, leave it die for something new again. It keeps on repeating. Ultimately users suffer. Worst part is, they never finish what they start. They leave it half baked.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

This site is called Windows central not Windows Phone Central. I may no longer use windows phone but I or my immediate family still have 3 laptops, 1 2 in 1, 1 desktop, Xbox One and 1 Band. My wife & I use Windows 10 at work & several MS apps.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
as someone who just left big red that maybe so. our old Verizon phones work on att but don't have the lte bands for att. you also can't just buy any phone put your sim in and have it work, Verizon has you on lockdown. there's a reason many oem's don't add cdma radios or are compatible with Verizon, Verizon wants to control everything with your phone.

Verizon phones are required to be unlocked and have some but not all LTE AT&T bands, but I really don't care, it works great for me & my needs. Plus LTE is not GSM & all carriers are moving to 100% LTE & VoLTE and will stop using their old GSM & CDMA networks & refarm them to LTE. http://gsacom.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/151013-Evolution_to_LTE_report.pdf

As I said before all carriers will be switching to VoLTE in the very near future and all phones will work where ever as the big 3 US carriers already have agreements in place. All Verizon phones from the past 1 1/2 years are VoLTE compatible and will work on AT&T & TMO & Sprints VoLTE networks.

I've said in other posts, it's just a damn phone not my identity, it's a communications tool made by a company that I have no personal stake in, zero. Nor any other company or service "winning or losing" & don't feel the need to put others down to make myself feel better about the *&$% phone, computer, gaming console, car or any other product I use. It's like people who when their favorite sports team wins, say "we won" like you had some part in the team actually winning..... If you like WP10 & it works for you, awesome, good for you, if it doesn't & android or IOS works for you awesome, good for you. I swear these boards are like high school boys ******* matches sometimes. The funny thing is, in the grand scheme of life, NO ONE CARES & none of this matters at all.....

Last edited:

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
The funny thing is, in the grand scheme of life, NO ONE CARES & none of this matters at all.....

In grand scheme of life, even us dont matter. So what, we should live a vegetative life?
Ofcourse all carriers will move towards VoLT. But it will take years for developing and undeveloped countries. While VoLT reches to every single corner of world, developed countries will have something new to brag about. Things keep changing. That does not mean there should not be such boards, no discussions, no arguments.

jurisraudulis

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
I'll just say this,if Microsoft doesn't fixes all the major bugs in W10 then i might leave Windows platform! Because from loving my phone i soon might start to hate it...

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Seems like Android offers all features of WP aka W10M. If I switch I gain a world of apps and features and lose live tiles? That's it ? What else does W10M offer over Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro