Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misayuki

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Re: Finally had enough and left the 950xl

This is something I've never understood about WP fans' claims to like to be different. I do realize that in certain cases there is something to be said for standing out from the crowd, but to me a choice of smartphone is not the place. There are no advantages in real everyday life. The issues are exactly what you've seen: smaller app supply, harder to find accessories such as cases and screen protectors, and less resources for help and replacement.

Having something different and unique is precisely why I am leaving the android world and looking at Windows Phone. In my circle, it's a mix of iPhone and android users and coming from WebOS and Blackberry 10, there is really nothing unique, interesting or otherwise appealing about android or IOS aside from a vast amount of apps.

I figured I'd give Windows a try. It's not about being advantageous. It's about wanting to step out this predefined box that so many people place themselves in. I love all technology so why would I, or for that matter, anyone want to limit themselves to having solely 2 choices in the world of mobile phones with IOS and Android? There is no competition really.

What I notice is that so many people are trying to stick to one ecosystem? Why?

I'm leaving Android as my smartphone, as soon as my Edge sells, but I am also going to remain within the system with my old Nexus 5 and I also am in the apple system my Mac and my Ipad.

In the end, it's not about being different entirely for me. It's a big plus. It's also about wanting to support evolution and diversity and not sticking to the same ol' same ol. Because that's not how technology evolves and that is precisely why we are left with the lack of choice we have today.

I'm looking to enhance my mobile experience. Not by trapping myself with Android and excluding all other choices but by realizing that on their own all 3 ecosystems are terrible and there is no one-size fits all for me and realizing you can use all 3 simultaneously.

In the end, we aren't helping anything except these companies get richer and we as consumers are killing competition by not wanting to be different but just accepting whatever.

Now my question is: What windows phone shall I buy?

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site

Now my question is: What windows phone shall I buy?
If you are low on budget or want to see if you actually like the platform before you check out the flagship phones, 640 or 640 XL is what you want.
If money is not a problem for you and you're YOLO type of person (investing a lot without knowing if you really like the platform) go for 950 or 950 XL.

For all people that just hate Windows Phone - I am not entirely sure why are you even here if you don't like Windows Phone and prefer iOS or Android over it. Anything said about UI is irrelevant, because everyone has his own taste. I prefer Windows platform over others, because for me (again, this is irrelevant) the UI is just the best. I do care about the app gap, but honestly, don't know on which Windows Phone did facebook not work for you, because for me it works without any problems. It is true that messenger app sucks, but it is still usable. I sort of understand your frustration if you can't live without snapchat or you need some serious apps for IT that are not available for Windows Phone.

P.S.: Sorry for not hating everything associated with MS.

BerryZerkov

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Yesterday I got a text message that a prescription was ready to pickup. On my PC I typed to Cortana to remind me to pick up the prescription when I left work. When I left work and drove down the block Cortana on my S7 Edge in my pocket said you have a reminder. I looked at my Pebble watch and saw the text portion of the reminder. At the drugstore I opened their app and the clerk scanned the bar code and got the prescription. I then signed for it on the phone with my finger. I then opened Samsung pay and took care of the bill. I want to be able to do that with my Windows Phone.
All of that will be coming to the Microsoft ecosystem.
Soon.
Really.
Bitter sarcasm aside, I'm very much in doubt on what to buy next.
Mum is up for a new phone, wants to be able to WA (has a Nokia dumb phone still).
Having a L630 less than 2 years old and being a member of the "Promises? What WP10 promises, you're SOL" team, I'm contemplating to buy 2 L650.
Or something Android equivalent even though that would be a new eco system for me.
Having adviced my dad to buy a Surface RT before, I wonder if going for a 650 will mean Mum will also be a member of the ****outofluck team in 18 months, might Redmond decide WP11x86 is the next best thing that will bring the future. Soon.
The app gap is not very relevant for my mum nor for me although it would be nice if MS apps were as nice on WP10 as on iOS or Android.
Simply not sure anymore if I can trust MS on the mobile market.

Kar98

May 29, 2014
Visit site

For all people that just hate Windows Phone - I am not entirely sure why are you even here if you don't like Windows Phone and prefer iOS or Android over it.

To annoy you personally. It's not that I just hate Windows Phone, I have one on my desk here, and another one in my desk at work. I gave MS all the chances, all the way back to Windows Pocket PC for Phones. And it's always been like, I can change baby, I promise, give me another chance, after the next reboot of the entire platform everything will be better, soon! I've been a staunch supporter of many brands and products, drove VWs for decades, used TomTom for navigation, stuck with Windows Phone for way too long, and the final straw was "eh, Immina go on a break to think about a few things, maybe next year I'll give it another shot, but you go and wait right here", i.e. here, have this barebones platform that has a few good points, and sit on it, it won't be our focus this year.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site

To annoy you personally. It's not that I just hate Windows Phone, I have one on my desk here, and another one in my desk at work. I gave MS all the chances, all the way back to Windows Pocket PC for Phones. And it's always been like, I can change baby, I promise, give me another chance, after the next reboot of the entire platform everything will be better, soon! I've been a staunch supporter of many brands and products, drove VWs for decades, used TomTom for navigation, stuck with Windows Phone for way too long, and the final straw was "eh, Immina go on a break to think about a few things, maybe next year I'll give it another shot, but you go and wait right here", i.e. here, have this barebones platform that has a few good points, and sit on it, it won't be our focus this year.

I am not entirely sure that I understand what is your point and how was this supposed to annoy me.

GusterBuster

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
If you are low on budget or want to see if you actually like the platform before you check out the flagship phones, 640 or 640 XL is what you want.
If money is not a problem for you and you're YOLO type of person (investing a lot without knowing if you really like the platform) go for 950 or 950 XL.

For all people that just hate Windows Phone - I am not entirely sure why are you even here if you don't like Windows Phone and prefer iOS or Android over it. Anything said about UI is irrelevant, because everyone has his own taste. I prefer Windows platform over others, because for me (again, this is irrelevant) the UI is just the best. I do care about the app gap, but honestly, don't know on which Windows Phone did facebook not work for you, because for me it works without any problems. It is true that messenger app sucks, but it is still usable. I sort of understand your frustration if you can't live without snapchat or you need some serious apps for IT that are not available for Windows Phone.

Don't kid yourself. FB on IOS and android is wayyyyyyy wayyyyyy wayyyy better than that useless one on WM. Seriously. I can also say that to other apps as well. I've had enough with 1520 and WM and switching to S7 was the best decision I made. I almost fooled myself into buying 950. ha!

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Depends how die-hard FB user are you and what do you need. For me it is just fine. It is interesting to see you here if Android is the platform you prefer.

Misayuki

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site

I feel like part of your thread has absolutely nothing to do with! E mate lol.

But I agree. I read about twenty pages of this thread and literally had to stop. The way people would make you think is thsdyt this is a bad platform. I went and brought a 640 for the time being and did the insider and the experience is pretty good thus far.

It see!s people just want to express negativity and you happen to have a bunch of people who do so together. Perhaps it is therapeutic? ☺

GusterBuster

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Depends how die-hard FB user are you and what do you need. For me it is just fine. It is interesting to see you here if Android is the platform you prefer.

Well, I just need something that you know... works. Newsfeed and videos that take forever to load are definitely a must have features on WM version of FB. lol.

I still use my 1520 from time to time to check for some insider updates. Me checking on this site is none of your business.

Darius Slepikas

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Your post only shows you want to justify your purchase of an Android phone, an expensive one. Think about that. Maybe not everything is right with your choice if you feel the need to justify it to other people by trying to prove Windows Phone is inferior to other mobile OS on a Windows site. No one cares about your choice or the reasons. Somehow only Android users have a strong need to prove their point in the choice of the "right" OS and hardware, whiles WP and iOS users just enjoy the experience and don't care about specs, sales results, benchmark and other sh.... Dear Android users, please break the habit of proving your point by badmouthing non-Android software/hardware options.

GusterBuster

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

I feel like part of your thread has absolutely nothing to do with! E mate lol.

But I agree. I read about twenty pages of this thread and literally had to stop. The way people would make you think is thsdyt this is a bad platform. I went and brought a 640 for the time being and did the insider and the experience is pretty good thus far.

It see!s people just want to express negativity and you happen to have a bunch of people who do so together. Perhaps it is therapeutic? ☺

Well duh. this thread is about switching platforms. I mean what are you expecting? Of course people will be posting here to express the reason for the change of hearts as well as to ventilate their frustration to the platform. Although some of posts here are a bit extreme, there are some that are valid that MSN should be taking notice of.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site

Well duh. this thread is about switching platforms. I mean what are you expecting? Of course people will be posting here to express the reason for the change of hearts as well as to ventilate their frustration to the platform. Although some of posts here are a bit extreme, there are some that are valid that MSN should be taking notice of.

Lol did you seriously just mention extremes? :evil:

Otherwise, Facebook app works fine for me, images and videos load without a problem.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
[NOTE]We respect all choices here and must uphold any members respectful participation no matter which platform.
There will be no tolerance for trashing or any insults directed against anyone for using or switching to an alternative.
1: Please stay on the topic at hand
2: Allow others to participate without having their personal choice degraded with unacceptable replies.[/NOTE]

my640

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
I just made the decision to drop WM for android. Last week Audible stopped working on my 640. As it turns out they have discontinued support for 8.1. AT&T has still not released 10 for my 640, and I am unable to download it via Windows Insider, because apparently it won't work if you are running 8.1 update 2. No Audible is a deal breaker for me. It's probable for the best, as I hate 10.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
My 735 doesn't show a timestamp on a message until it's been sent. So when I send a text (or a skype message), the appearance of a timestamp means it's been sent. I thought that's how it worked?
Not on mine it doesn't. It time stamps it as soon as I hit send, so there is no way to know. A minute or so later the time stamp will change to "Can't send message. Try again" if it bounces back. If you click and resend it, the time stamp will change again to reflect the new time you are sending it, so it won't give you any indication it's sent except for it not bouncing back at all or the person obviously replies in keeping with the message just sent.. Maybe the firmware on Verizon phones works differently to T-Mobile ones as I remember this problem on my Nokia 521 as well.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I just made the decision to drop WM for android. Last week Audible stopped working on my 640. As it turns out they have discontinued support for 8.1. AT&T has still not released 10 for my 640, and I am unable to download it via Windows Insider, because apparently it won't work if you are running 8.1 update 2. No Audible is a deal breaker for me. It's probable for the best, as I hate 10.
Audible works fine on my 8.1 phone. It is available for download in the store and was last updated April 14, 2016. I'm listening to it now.

Windows 8.1 mobile OS works fine.
I understand that Windows 10 Mobile, is improving and getting better. You purchased a lower priced lower spec'ed phone designed for Windows Phone 8.1 OS. I would be happy and enjoy it or spend some money and buy a newer phone with better spec's.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Audible works fine on my 8.1 phone. It is available for download in the store and was last updated April 14, 2016. I'm listening to it now.

Windows 8.1 mobile OS works fine.
I understand that Windows 10 Mobile, is improving and getting better. You purchased a lower priced lower spec'ed phone designed for Windows Phone 8.1 OS. I would be happy and enjoy it or spend some money and buy a newer phone with better spec's.

Tell me, what has MS released with 'better specs' that isn't a flagship last year? Maybe the 650, but I can't think of anything else that is in the same category, especially since MS themselves marketed the 640 and the XL of it as "Windows 10 ready when available". If it doesn't do well on what MS suggested/encouraged, what would be the point of the 'better phone'? From my understanding, the 640 has the same processor as the 830, 730/735 ?

cmucodemonkey

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I finally made the move. The app gap and severe lack of updates finally got me, but I do own my Lumia 735 outright so I'm planning on keeping it and keeping an eye on the forums for updates on Windows 10 Mobile. Maybe if Microsoft gets their act together I'll come back, but if not Android here I come!

azteca911

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I ordered a Nexus 6p this weekend. I love WP but there isn't anything out there right now to replace my dying 1520 that I want. I'll sit back, learn Android, and watch for the Surface phones next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720