Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I actually switched, got the Galaxy S7 Edge, and returned it. As polished as it has gotten, its still Android. Plus wifi was horrible. And the edges are a pain in the ***. Even with the patch they made it had to use with one hand. And I love WP. Went back to my Icon. My Icon is slowly dying, and downgrading to a 735 is a possibility, but the camera isn't all that great on it. I'm still debating what to do.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I actually switched, got the Galaxy S7 Edge, and returned it. As polished as it has gotten, its still Android. Plus wifi was horrible. And the edges are a pain in the ***. Even with the patch they made it had to use with one hand. And I love WP. Went back to my Icon. My Icon is slowly dying, and downgrading to a 735 is a possibility, but the camera isn't all that great on it. I'm still debating what to do.

It took me a month to get over what I called the "Android Stink"...still feels messy to me but I've gotten used to it and am living with it and making the best I can of it. Former ICON user here...

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It took me a month to get over what I called the "Android Stink"...still feels messy to me but I've gotten used to it and am living with it and making the best I can of it. Former ICON user here...

I too, am a ex Icon owner that has made the switch to a GS7. I can't stand the grid of icons so switched to a Windows launcher that makes me forget I'm using android and not miss using the icon.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I too, am a ex Icon owner that has made the switch to a GS7. I can't stand the grid of icons so switched to a Windows launcher that makes me forget I'm using android and not miss using the icon.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Good idea. I am a home screen user with widgets and app folders. Ugly yes but better than just app grids...and TouchWiz isn't as bad as it used to be. Would love to have a Nexus but I do like the benefits of being a Samsung owner too.

Misayuki

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Have you thought of just buying an icon from eBay to hold you off?

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I thought about it, but actually getting to use the apps from my local bank, news, son's school, daughters university, work, Colorado county, state & National parks quickly changed my mind. Plus, the GS7 is water resistant which is very useful when camping or hiking, it takes great pics & the battery lasts almost 1 1/2 days with my use where as my Icon would last only 1/2 to 3/4 of a day. I dealt with the hideous grid of icons & it just works for me right now. Not interested in switching carriers because Verizon gets fantastic coverage in the mountains thanks to their old outdated CDMA 3G network & my great data plan I have, 24 gigs for 5 lines for $65 / mo.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Been on android for the past 2 weeks (Moto X Pure -- VERY nice device) .... and --- I don't know. My dilemma seems to be that I like all of the mobile OS. Just windows UI is my favorite. I really can't choose between them all. I fire up my iPhone --- I'm happy, fire up my Moto X --- I'm happy, fire up my Windows device ... yep, happy camper ..... lordy lol :-/

fly_branch

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Thinking of making the switch to Android. Sending my fourth 950 back to At&t. Can't use Bluetooth and WiFi at the same time. The app gap is killing me too. I love the WP UI but I can't deal with the trials of Microsoft.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Been on android for the past 2 weeks (Moto X Pure -- VERY nice device) .... and --- I don't know. My dilemma seems to be that I like all of the mobile OS. Just windows UI is my favorite. I really can't choose between them all. I fire up my iPhone --- I'm happy, fire up my Moto X --- I'm happy, fire up my Windows device ... yep, happy camper ..... lordy lol :-/

Same here.
I agree I like all this stuff because when I was kid it was all science fiction.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Audible works fine on my 8.1 phone. It is available for download in the store and was last updated April 14, 2016. I'm listening to it now.

Windows 8.1 mobile OS works fine.
I understand that Windows 10 Mobile, is improving and getting better. You purchased a lower priced lower spec'ed phone designed for Windows Phone 8.1 OS. I would be happy and enjoy it or spend some money and buy a newer phone with better spec's.

Meanwhile, Microsoft decided to release a SnapDragon 212 powered phone in the year 2016 that cost even much more than the Xiaomi Note 3 which is powered by SD650, 3GM of ram, with Fingerprint sensor and metal build! Is Microsoft nuts?!

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
As polished as it has gotten, its still Android.

I guess you are just not into Android. And that 's fine. Nothing much to lose except that you are missing lots of games and apps. And if you are fine with that, sure. But it appears that you have gotten a lemon set with wifi issue. Why not exchange for another set and try? Also, perhaps you should have gotten the regular S7 instead of Edge instead? Didn't you try holding the phone before you made the purchase? Sounds to me is more like a user problem here.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Meanwhile, Microsoft decided to release a SnapDragon 212 powered phone in the year 2016 that cost even much more than the Xiaomi Note 3 which is powered by SD650, 3GM of ram, with Fingerprint sensor and metal build! Is Microsoft nuts?!

May I ask, what exactly you are talking about? Please "enlightened" us with some facts. I honestly can't make sense of it. Are you talking about the 10s of millions of less than smart phones Microsoft sold? So what is the point? Is it that some low spec'ed low cost phone, costs less in comparison to some other Microsoft low spec'ed phone?

I stick to the statement that I made. Audible works.

That was the point I was making, and you responded to.

Last edited:

Misayuki

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I guess you are just not into Android. And that 's fine. Nothing much to lose except that you are missing lots of games and apps. And if you are fine with that, sure. But it appears that you have gotten a lemon set with wifi issue. Why not exchange for another set and try? Also, perhaps you should have gotten the regular S7 instead of Edge instead? Didn't you try holding the phone before you made the purchase? Sounds to me is more like a user problem here.

You seem to be annoyed. Perhaps it os a user issue. Or perhaps it simply doesn't work for him or her. No need to tell them what you think they did wrong :)

Iam coming from android and couldn't be more happier with my 950 xl. With that said, I haven't dropped the platform entirely. I still use android in a secondary device as well as my ipad. So im not limiting myself or my choice. I think more users should do that instead of picking an allegiance to One and hating the others

Attic Muse

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
I think more users should do that instead of picking an allegiance to One and hating the others

While hating the others is definitely superfluous, I think a lot of people pick just one platform because that's what most companies make the most enticing option. You look at how nicely things flow when you have a MacBook, iPad and iPhone, or a Lumia, Surface and Windows PC, and it makes you want to unify rather than fragment your devices. And while it is ******* off so many people that Microsoft is supporting Android and iOS, even bringing over features like Cortana, I think it's really great that they're not forcing you to conform to one OS. I'll probably be jumping ship to a Nexus 6P in a few weeks, but I'm looking forward to knowing I'll still have Outlook, OneDrive, Cortana, Groove, etc.

Windows Mobile isn't dead, and I have faith that Satya has big plans for it, but I'm glad he also sees the big picture and realizes that to really achieve mobility with Windows they need to be on every platform, not just their own.

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Get Here maps. It is still supported on iOS / Android, unlike on Windows phone.
I know there are alternatives. However, for being a brand whose products "just work", Apple has some pretty crappy built-in apps. WP on the other hand is a lot easier to work with out of the box.

User problem it seems to be here.
(This was about keyboards.) User problem, really? That's a typical Apple answer. It is well known that WP has one of the best stock keyboards out there. Also it says a lot when a bunch of my anti-Microsoft friends just downloaded Word Flow for iOS today.

Well, you can always get MS Outlook if it is a more familiar product for you. And it is so much better than on the windows phone version. iOS apps are much much more polished.
Outlook for iOS/Android is blocked at my workplace (and many others). For reference: Outlook for iOS app "breaks" corporate security, developer says | ZDNet

I did use Outlook on iOS for my personal email and I have to disagree that it is better than the WP version. Yes, iOS apps "look" more polished but they lack functionality. Since iOS apps can have only one icon on the home screen, there's no way to get individual badges for different inboxes.

Google, Microsoft and Apple will encourage you to use cloud to share stuffs since it is already 2016.
Yes, but no. I shouldn't have to go through the cloud when I'm holding both phones in my hands. Actually Apple does let you share stuff through AirDrop but it only works if you're talking to another iDevice.

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

Last week, we had an e-waste recycling event at work, and I parted with - among other things - six cellphones, two cameras, two GPS receivers, two tape recorders, a video camera, three Pocket PCs (those were pretty hard to let go), a MiniDisc player, two CD players, and an AM/FM radio. Why? Because I realized that my $30 Lumia 640 replaces ALL of those things. Digging through a box of my old electronics and seeing what technology was like 10-15 years ago really put into perspective just how dumb these phone wars really are. The modern smartphone - no matter if it's Android, iOS, or Windows - is an amazing piece of technology! I mean, it wasn't really all that long ago that, when you went on vacation, you brought your camera, your video camera, your phone, your GPS, your mp3 player, and all of its little chargers, and you had to lug all that stuff around in a bag. Now you just bring ONE thing. Crazy.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

Thought about it. But the Icon (cant say all, but all the ones I had anyway) suffer from over heating batteries with rapid drain as they get older. That's pretty much where I'm at now. Would hate to buy one and it be the same.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

Every few years I give it a whirl, but always return it within 2 weeks. After I upgraded my Palm Pre (Sprint) to the Evo, I brought it back and got my HTC Arrive...first foray into Windows Phone. I just don't like the "bulkiness" of Android .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos