Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Ummmm, millions of people still use sms/mms. Not sure where your from, but here on the east coast of the USA, I have 500 + contacts in my phone and only 15 have downloaded Whatsapp....not one of them uses it. We all text. The only people using what's app ate bots and hookers...lol....and why does everything have to be "dead" with you? You seem like an angry dude.

In my experience, it seems like only people who text someone internationally have whatsapp. I don't have it, because everyone I wish to text lives in the US. I get whatsapp for sending pictures and videos though since there's no limit. General texting, nah.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
In my experience, it seems like only people who text someone internationally have whatsapp. I don't have it, because everyone I wish to text lives in the US. I get whatsapp for sending pictures and videos though since there's no limit. General texting, nah.

I see that, too. And it makes since. But for the general public I think it's unnecessary. I have it, and only 15 of my contacts have it, and none of us use it.

noperfectmobile

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
it was funny and I to totally get what he was saying and agree...lol. If you figure out what he was referring to then you'll see it that it has everything to do with this...lol. (hint: It was sarcastic metaphor)

Switching platforms | Thinking of leaving...comment here! - that was the headline.
I just wrote my comment.
Here in germany nobody uses sms anymore - and this is my point of view - maybe the sms vs. whatsapp example wasn't very well chosen...
Sarcastic metaphor - i could write one back in my language - would that be nice? No...

For me it is fact that MS is developing new stuff instead of repairing basic things - and that is the reason for me to quit waiting for another surprise in 2017.
Remember the headline... "Thinking of leaving...comment here!"

Right now their focus is PC, tablet, and most likely Xbox is a high priority.

In my opinion it is the wrong decision - decreasing sales - less acceptance - more and more developers quit developing for this platform.
And i hope it is ok for you when my opinion != your opinion

CherokeeTX

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
Well, for what it's worth I'm doing the exact opposite; I'm not leaving but joining the Windows ecosystem. I've been using Apple since the 3GS, including iPads, AppleTVs, and Macs but I really like where MS is headed. I believe they have the right idea in the 'one OS to rule them all' approach.

And I don't believe they are abandoning WM10, it is evolving. Soon, I think it will just be labelled as Windows 10. The mobile devices are powerful enough to run it for mid-level tasks. One could look no further then the HP Elite X3 due out this summer. That 'phone' could very well be the only computer a lot of people need. And there is no way HP puts in that much R&D into a product (including 30 Fortune 500 companies assisting with evaluation) without knowing the long-term plans for Windows.

Lastly, as one who loves the ability to receive and make phone calls, texts, and FaceTime whether I was on my iPhone, iPad, or Mac, I'm glad MS is including all these technologies in their OS.

gchandrujs

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
i am from normal family and struggled to buy the Windows phone initially. i had Samsung omnia W I8350 and then bought Lumia 920 and Lumia 640 xl for my family. Since no upgrade to Windows 10 provided for Lumia 920, i switched now to Android Honor 5x. One way i am missing my favorite windows. On the other side, the promise was not kept by Microsoft during the launch of Windows Phone 8 that upgrade will be available for all new hardware and now no upgrade to Windows 10 for Lumia 920. I was deeply upset and even wrote a email to Satya. But no response. :(

hvg86

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
After 10 years of windows products including the zune/zune HD/Windows phone 6/7/7.5/7.8/8/8.1 and windows 10 (multiple devices/ pro 2 and pro 3/band 1 and now band 2.
My updated windows 10 phone refused to sync with my new band 2. Finally lost it. Customer service online respectful but nosoution.
Gave up, got a nexus 6p yesterday. Never ever owned an android device, and band 2 works great.
Battery isn't really muc to write about, notifications hard to get used to, found myself missing the windows phone.
The I see my bank apps, working apps for my job (uptodate worked on windows, amion didn't exist), a camera that doesn't take ages to click, and finally a functional browser (to that hot mess that is edge) > couldn't be happier, will deal with the small negatives oandroid.
Till Microsoft gets its surface phone out soon, with quality apps, and that too on Verizon > I will slowly start to discard all the other devices when they are due for upgrades.
Rant over. Disappointed 10 years is a long time too keep waiting. Was really hopeful and support.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Battery isn't really muc to write about, notifications hard to get used to, found myself missing the windows phone

Just need some time to get used to and you will never look back again. Read that even with Surface phone, Microsoft will not be making it into a consumer phone. That means, apps will become lesser and lesser and eventually, only enterprises may use surface phones - a big MAY.

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I was typing a whole paragraph but noticed it didn't really help. So here's one line.
My heart died when L920 died.

Screw MS. This Win 10 thing was promised back in the WP7 days. Even Win 8. Finally W10 is here and 920 is left out? Whatever.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
My heart died when L920 died.
Screw MS..

"The emotional attachment is strong with this one, Obi-wan"

I felt like that with my 920 too. But, I put it on Insider and ran it for about 8 months - bugs, warts and all... Until I made sure it was user-friendly enough in a stable build, I sold it off to a eager buyer who provided it with care and love in a new home... Haha
Move on, it's a old device. Three years ago, it was a shinny flagship, pioneering and most innovative phone of the year.... 3 years ago.. time to move

My current 830 is doing quite well with the latest build... ain't jumping ship...

Phillip Tshabalala1

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
After getting my 1st smart phone, Sony Xperia X1 on contract, I became attached to Windows on phones. I skipped WP7 devices as it was a major step down from WM 6.5. After WP8 I moved from Android to WP8 after getting tired of regular late nights trying to get a smoother experience flashing latest ROM's. I stuck around for WM10, bought devices and got friends and family hooked. Unfortunately WM10 has me more frustrated every passing week with my browser and settings not working after the latest slow ring upgrade.

I'm walking away for now so I placed an order for a Huawei P8 on Orange as I signed a 2 year contract late last year. After reactivating my old Gmail account I discovered the Playstore is fully accessible in South Africa with music, movies and books being available for purchase in Rand's and local artist and writers much cheaper then retail outlets. That was a key motivator including the fact that all Microsoft apps are available on Android so I'll only miss the great tile look that I love.

Hopefully in 2 years I'll be back once the kinks are ironed as the Beta has been going on for so long. Exhausted but still have mad love for the ecosystem!!!

anon(5346951)

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
After getting my 1st smart phone, Sony Xperia X1 on contract, I became attached to Windows on phones. I skipped WP7 devices as it was a major step down from WM 6.5. After WP8 I moved from Android to WP8 after getting tired of regular late nights trying to get a smoother experience flashing latest ROM's. I stuck around for WM10, bought devices and got friends and family hooked. Unfortunately WM10 has me more frustrated every passing week with my browser and settings not working after the latest slow ring upgrade.

I'm walking away for now so I placed an order for a Huawei P8 on Orange as I signed a 2 year contract late last year. After reactivating my old Gmail account I discovered the Playstore is fully accessible in South Africa with music, movies and books being available for purchase in Rand's and local artist and writers much cheaper then retail outlets. That was a key motivator including the fact that all Microsoft apps are available on Android so I'll only miss the great tile look that I love.

Hopefully in 2 years I'll be back once the kinks are ironed as the Beta has been going on for so long. Exhausted but still have mad love for the ecosystem!!!

Why would you complain about beta software and then leave the platform because of it when you put yourself in the Insider slow ring!!!!

anon(5346951)

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Reasons why I’ll be staying on Windows 10 Mobile: :excited:

? One experience across all my devices – From my Band, Lumia, Surface, Asus Zen AIO, to my Xbox.

? Syncing all my stuff seamlessly - Mary Jo Foley has started using a Nexus and acknowledges complication with Android. Microsoft services are everywhere on other platforms but they're obviously not going to be as well implemented when they're third party apps.

? Live Tiles - I recently turned on the four columns feature and having everything glanceable, immediately accessible on one screen, personalised exactly how I want is awesome. I've used iOS and Android and neither comes close in terms of UI.

? Productivity - I'm 19 and would usually be in the category of having all the latest social apps and games. However, I'm trying to make it freelance with no uni education in business and as a singer. I don’t want more distractions and I appreciate the focus on productivity and the services that are available to me.

? Privacy concerns - There’s no argument that with Android you are completely prone to Google’s ad business. Microsoft collects telemetry, that you can turn off, to improve Windows as a service. It doesn't give out any data to support an ad business.

? Security concerns - There’s also no argument about which mobile OS is the most secure. iOS was at the top of the vulnerabilities list in 2015 and Android is renowned for being insecure.

? Update support – Windows 10 Mobile is the best on this front. I have an unlocked device that is getting updates nearly every two weeks. The Lumia 920 from 2012 has had update support for four years. Even with a Nexus you aren't getting support like that.

? Love the Lumia hardware – My Lumia 950 XL has literally everything. Top end specs, forward looking features, best in class camera and mics, and great versatility thanks to an exchangeable back, expandable storage, and removable battery.

? Being different – One of the reasons I first got a Lumia was because I like counter culture and being an underdog. Nearly everyone I know has an iPhone, Galaxy, or Nexus. No thanks.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, the things we do for what we want. But then what kind of life is it to not have what you want (at least to an extent)..?

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Lastly, as one who loves the ability to receive and make phone calls, texts, and FaceTime whether I was on my iPhone, iPad, or Mac, I'm glad MS is including all these technologies in their OS.

No offense, but i these are the things which you like from iPhone, why not just stay with iPhone until windows 10 mobile is much more mature, than make the jump? Why now when there are tons of bugs which waiting for MS to iron out? Moreover, you can leverage almost every MS services on iOS as well? I bet you may missed lots of first class apps when you make the jump to windows phone.

Madmumble

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Well here's the thing. I ran WP for over five years beginning with 7.5 and going all the way till W10M stabilized into a usable OS. Then I left. I'll tell you why. the only decent phones out in the market were way higher than what I was ready to put into a phone with no discernible features that would've worked for me. I don't need my phone's camera these days and continuum, as good as it is, is not my cup of tea. I got myself a OnePlus 2 and it works for me and then some. Why? Because all the good features from WP are there. I've got better apps for HERE, Office, Outlook, OneDrive and that keeps me sorted. I don't miss grove or edge or UCweb. I love the games and facts like apps here are really working and are not outdated. So yeah it's a win win for me.

I kept what mattered for me and got what I didn't have. Apps like citibank, nba, mozilla and a plethora of games are missing on WP or W10M whichever you wish to call it now.

Microsoft gave others what was exclusive for WP but nobody returned the favour. I do hope we get decent hardware from OEMs at a competitive price and some real boost in the inflow and app release timeframe. Till then I'll be on the outside looking in.

Ruster Kat

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Advice, anyone? I have finally decided to move on from my beloved Windows phone, for now at least. Currently I'm using a L920 on WP8.1 through AT&T. Man, it's going to be hard because I really love the OS!

I'm considering the iPhone 6s, but leaning heavily towards Android. I have had an HTC in the past, and I like the new HTC 10. I like that HTC has kept a light touch on Sense. Ditto for Moto X Pure. Don't like the looks of the 6P, but I'm considering it too - especially because of the patch support.

Don't see myself with a Samsung. Outside shot for 6s... but probably not. I want a bit more control than iOS gives. So my list is pretty much (in no order): HTC 10, Moto X Pure, Nexus 6P. Cost isn't really a concern, I don't like phone cases, and I wouldn't consider rooting any time soon - nothing's perfect, but I want it to work very well out of the box.

Anyone care to weigh in? Please don't say 650 or 950/XL or HP (et cetera), because I am firm in my decision to try something different until at least late 2017/2018. Thanks.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Advice, anyone? I have finally decided to move on from my beloved Windows phone, for now at least. Currently I'm using a L920 on WP8.1 through AT&T. Man, it's going to be hard because I really love the OS!

I'm considering the iPhone 6s, but leaning heavily towards Android. I have had an HTC in the past, and I like the new HTC 10. I like that HTC has kept a light touch on Sense. Ditto for Moto X Pure. Don't like the looks of the 6P, but I'm considering it too - especially because of the patch support.

Don't see myself with a Samsung. Outside shot for 6s... but probably not. I want a bit more control than iOS gives. So my list is pretty much (in no order): HTC 10, Moto X Pure, Nexus 6P. Cost isn't really a concern, I don't like phone cases, and I wouldn't consider rooting any time soon - nothing's perfect, but I want it to work very well out of the box.

Anyone care to weigh in? Please don't say 650 or 950/XL or HP (et cetera), because I am firm in my decision to try something different until at least late 2017/2018. Thanks.
I'd recommend the Nexus 6P. It is unlocked, so it can be used on any carrier's network. It also gets monthly updates directly from Google, and it will definitely get the Android N update. It has a great camera too, and it is currently on sale.

Ruster Kat

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! Funny thing is how people rip on the way the 950XL looks, but to me it is miles nicer looking than that freakish 'visor' thing on the 6P. Maybe I'll work on my case-a-phobia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel