Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Goodbye

Originally posted by xandros9
Originally Posted by jamshal kp
Very disappointed with Microsoft , Lumia 925 is not eligible for windows 10 update??? Can't believe that, it's time to bye bye Microsoft, planing to buy android

(fellow mods, I can't move this or anything because mobile but I still wanted to touch on it.)

Sorry to hear that, I was pretty ticked too.

But i need to warn you. Pick your android carefully. It would be best to get a Nexus device. Because depending on the phone you get, you may be saddled with less support than the 925 got.

I will have to concur with Xandros. I have been running an android tablet on L6 marshmallow. It's a nexus. The experience was awful, even on a tab with good specs! I just couldn't get past the lagg and glitching on Chrome! Needless to say, it went back. Win 10 just seemed less of an irritant doing basic stuff. I still needed a tablet so, despite my huge reservations, I got an iPad mini 3, and loved it!

With Android make sure you pick a good device. The best spec'd one you can afford, BUT, beware. It is not uncommon for some OEM's drop support way before MSFT do. So basically, you are left with the Nexus, which is one of the very few devices that actually have Long Term Support. How about a OnePlus? Great devices, and always a vanilla rom like the Nexus?

Best of luck in what ever you decide.

Chris Anderson11

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I tried android, note5 64 gb. Everyone told me about all the apps I was missing out on. However no one mentioned that if use a flashlight app or according to AT&T tech support any third party app your phone will have poor call quality/dropped calls. So what's the point I'm back on the trusty 1520 screw android. Ya they have more apps but you better not download them per AT&T.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Need official w10

In all honesty, I believe there wouldn't be any difference between what you can get on the Insider Preview and an "official" release, so it's worth a try.

I will have to concur with Xandros. I have been running an android tablet on L6 marshmallow. It's a nexus. The experience was awful, even on a tab with good specs! I just couldn't get past the lagg and glitching on Chrome! Needless to say, it went back. Win 10 just seemed less of an irritant doing basic stuff. I still needed a tablet so, despite my huge reservations, I got an iPad mini 3, and loved it!

With Android make sure you pick a good device. The best spec'd one you can afford, BUT, beware. It is not uncommon for some OEM's drop support way before MSFT do. So basically, you are left with the Nexus, which is one of the very few devices that actually have Long Term Support. How about a OnePlus? Great devices, and always a vanilla rom like the Nexus?

Best of luck in what ever you decide.

On the contrary, I've had decent-to-great performance with Android on both a Galaxy S II (Lollipop) and a Galaxy Alpha (Marshmallow) despite not having the latest nor greatest silicon onboard. (Snapdragon S3 in the case of the S II Skyrocket, Snapdragon 801 in the case of the Alpha.)

Their saving graces are custom ROM support, but since you aren't OK with the Windows Insider program, you'd be even less OK with those, since they're made by third-parties.

But regardless, I think you'll be OK, just get something from a company with a solid track record as I already said.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Need official w10

If you use Insider on the Release Ring, the same version is fetched as the recent public Upgrade received by these phones (10.0.10586.xxx): Phones Eligible for Windows 10 Mobile Official.

If your phone is not on the supported list, then 10586.xxx (Threshold) is the end of the line. You may as well use Insider and select Production to un-enroll your phone from Insider, but at least you have W10M. WaaS (Windows as a Service) will deliver future updates within Threshold to you without any Insider access required.

Check out this thread: Windows Insider Testing and You [Recommended Guidelines]

For right now, Windows Device Recovery Tool is only flashing 8.1 to models that did not launch with 10 so it is the way to revert if you don't care for W10M: How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I tried android, note5 64 gb. Everyone told me about all the apps I was missing out on. However no one mentioned that if use a flashlight app or according to AT&T tech support any third party app your phone will have poor call quality/dropped calls. So what's the point I'm back on the trusty 1520 screw android. Ya they have more apps but you better not download them per AT&T.
I've used an unlocked/unbranded Moto X Pure Edition on AT&T, and I haven't had any issues with dropped calls. I didn't expect any support from AT&T, since I didn't buy the device from them, but I haven't needed any support.

I've used Nokia (Symbian), BlackBerry, Windows Phone, and Android devices on AT&T. Whether I've used AT&T branded devices or not, I've never had issues with dropped calls, and I don't remember ever needing to contact AT&T for anything other than getting a new SIM (nano SIM instead of micro SIM for a new device).

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I agree with RumoredNow. I can understand looking for a reason not to like Android but being gullible shouldn't be one of them. That's like buying a car and being told by the dealership that putting CD's in the CD player will cause the motor to start misfiring.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Made the jump to android

The majority of smartphone users aren't geeks, they're likely to use their phone as it is with maybe a few minor tweaks. The presence or absence of "really good customization" makes no difference to these users. Many of my friends with iPhones don't even know that iOS supports third-party keyboards, they just live with the stock keyboard even though there are much better alternatives.

I disagree.I see Android users, especially those Samsung ones, knows how to customized their phones via different themes. Even XiaoMi phones promotes easy themes customization. They DO NOT need to be geeks in order to customize their phones. Now what do we have for WP when comes to customization? Nothing spectacular besides changing transparent wallpapers and tile sizes. As for your iPhone friends, perhaps they don't even need alternatives keyboards in the first place?? MS already delivering 3rd party keyboards to iPhone, so it is a matter of time iPhone users will try out 3rd party ones. However, where is the 3rd party keyboard alternatives for WP users? None.

The WP app gap is certainly a problem for many people, but a lot of it also comes down to brand image. I know several people who hardly use any apps yet would never try WP because of its poor reputation.

Brand image indeed. Why WP are receiving poor reputation? Because it is a windows phone! To them, what is windows phone? The phones are not even eye catching at all. Look at the flagships - 950 series. OMG...... Is really bad with the design. Look at G5, S7 edge, or even a budgeted XiaoMi Note 3, look so much better than the 950 flagships. Do you think consumers will even wanna try windows phone with such bad designs?

These aren't "feelings", they're objective statements based on my daily usage patterns. A quick glance (pun intended) tells me when my next meeting is, how many calls, emails and IMs I have received -- all without even pressing a button. Neither iOS nor Android comes close.

See? Again these are your personal likes and needs. Not everyone in this world want to have quick glance of when is the next meeting, missed calls, etc etc. Or even if they do, just tapping on the power button is not a huge chore at all. When attract them are the easy access upon waking up their phones. Finger print sensors on both Android and iPhone are just amazing. Windows Hello on the other hand is so slow and no apps leveraging the technology at all. Furthermore, G5 and S7 are now offering Always On displays too. Glance is no longer a perk on windows phone.

I understand this may not represent the general consumer, but there's certainly a market for users focused on productivity, and I'm happy that Microsoft is focusing their efforts on that segment.

Productivity? Sadly, most of the MS productivity apps are not even on par on the ones available on Android / iOS. Read about the latest SharePoint app? It is available on iOS first, then Android or windows phone. So much for being productive on windows phone. If one really needs to be productive, windows phone is never the ideal platform but Android. Why? For a start, USB OTG works on every Android handset, while only the latest windows phone flagships support OTG - not even a latest Lumia 650 because it does not support Continuum.

Chris Anderson11

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Ya I told them they can either send me a new phone not a (certified like new device) which apparently is different then a refurbished device or I'm taking my business some where else. I have 4 lines and have been with AT&T since the 90's. Anyway I agree the tech guy didn't relay want to help I told him what a load of crap a flashlight app can interfere with call quality. The current note 5 is the third one they have sent me. The last two only seem to Operate on edge which is odd I can take the sim out of the note put it in 1520 and be on 4g. Also there is a AT&T tower on one of our farms the note still only gets edge while standing under the tower.

groady-ho baluzy

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
Ya I told them they can either send me a new phone not a (certified like new device) which apparently is different then a refurbished device or I'm taking my business some where else. I have 4 lines and have been with AT&T since the 90's. Anyway I agree the tech guy didn't relay want to help I told him what a load of crap a flashlight app can interfere with call quality. The current note 5 is the third one they have sent me. The last two only seem to Operate on edge which is odd I can take the sim out of the note put it in 1520 and be on 4g. Also there is a AT&T tower on one of our farms the note still only gets edge while standing under the tower.

That sounds like a Samsung problem. My wife's new g5 has a flashlight built in. We are pretty rural and had far more dropped calls on Big Red than ATT.
As a matter of fact I can't wait to get my driod back, not that the 640 isn't cutting it, its that I miss my apps. I really.miss depositing checks without having to drive 25min to town.

groady-ho baluzy

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
My wife last night after idk 6 weeks?, with her lg g5 asked if she could use my spare 640. she said android was just too hard for her. She said everything was harder to do on it. She is now back using WP and she couldn't be happier. Facebook and everything else she uses works fine for her. I just wish I knew what to do with this g5, It's too late to give back to ATT. I guess one of these days we'll have to get her a 950xl, she sure wants one.

Last edited:

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My wife last night after idk 6 weeks?, with her lg g5 asked if she could use my spare 640. she said android was just too hard for her. She said everything was harder to do on it. She is now back using WP and she couldn't be happier. Facebook and everything else she uses works fine for her. I just wish I knew what to do with this g5, It's too late to give back to ATT. I guess one of these days we'll have to get her a 950xl, she sure wants one.

I've been on a Note 4 for a few months now and I agree. It's overly complicated, inconsistent and frequently lags/hands. Although I have come to love the app freedom. There are several things I have been able to to that I couldn't with my Lumia. The following are just a few things I use on a regular basis.

Use Torque with my car.
Easily Stream media to my xbox 1 (ironic)
Have a backup IR remote
Control a Roku and Fire TV
Cartwheel app for Target.
Mercedes app for my car
Use Android Auto

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Screw MS. This Win 10 thing was promised back in the WP7 days. Even Win 8. Finally W10 is here and 920 is left out? Whatever.

Lots of reason to leave MS/Windows phone, but the fact that a four year old phone isn't getting updated to Windows 10 isn't really one of them. Just my opinion.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Your wife need an iPhone..... just saying..... hahahahaha But then, if Facebook is all what she need, the Android version will be a much pleasant experience than the one on windows phone? Too slow and too much loading for almost every action on windows phone.

Snapperlicious

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm on day 11 of my switch to Android from WP. Went to an S7E (Exynos version) from a 1520 and a 1020 before that. So far my experience is mostly positive. What I found interesting is that I haven't experienced most of the things that many criticize Android for. That being a slow, laggy, and buggy experience. My experience has been quite the opposite. My S7E is very smooth, fast, and reliable. My 1520 with W10 has been, and continues to be, much more representative of what others say about Android in general. So far I've only encountered one issue related to the screen lock, and I have been able to mitigate it completely. That's a stark contrast from the number of issues that I continue to encounter on my 1520.

On the flip side, I do agree with some of the complicated comments. The Touch Wiz menu system is horrible, perhaps the worst I've encountered. I also think it has the steepest learning curve of the three OSs. Although after a week of use, I understand everything well and am able to get everything I want out of the phone. It just took me longer to get there than it did with the others.

I loved WP 8.1, and I really wanted to love W10. I can't help but feel continually let down by MS though. The upgrade to W10 would have been so much more positive if they could have built on everything good from WP 8.1 with the addition of UWP and some other new features. Instead, it is such a mixed bag. Some things don't work as well as they did before, other things are missing, and of course some things are better. It's a tough pill to ask users to swallow when you offer such a mixed bag, and then introduce all the issues and slowness on top of it all. My initial experience with the S7E is so positive that I am more than happy to use that until MS gets it all sorted out, assuming that ever happens.

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm on day 11 of my switch to Android from WP. Went to an S7E (Exynos version) from a 1520 and a 1020 before that. So far my experience is mostly positive.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm planning on picking up a S7E next month if everything goes according to plan, after 2 years with Windows Phone (now Lumia 630 on 8.1).

I was worried about the Android lag because my WP always felt fluid and has never slowed down but seems like Samsung have resolved Touchwiz/RAM management better than ever before.

I was considering getting a Huawei P9 or LG G5 and a cheap Windows 10 Lumia 550 for less than the price of the S7E but to be honest I don't know what I would actually still use the Lumia for? The S7E just has everything. Amazing design, apps, Waterproof, VR and best camera on the planet. Even The Verge (normally Apple biased) gave the S7 the highest mobile score of any device ever including iPhone.

I will still use WC to keep up with Windows 10 on my Laptop but this chapter in mobile is over. I think Microsoft are on the right track with Windows 10, Surface, Cortana & Cloud. Their plan is light years ahead of Apple. But they have messed up terribly with Mobile (and Xbox). I'll have a look at the landscape again in Q3 2017 but I'm done with Coming Soon TM for now.

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Made the jump to android

I disagree.I see Android users, especially those Samsung ones, knows how to customized their phones via different themes. Even XiaoMi phones promotes easy themes customization. They DO NOT need to be geeks in order to customize their phones. Now what do we have for WP when comes to customization? Nothing spectacular besides changing transparent wallpapers and tile sizes.
By that reasoning, nobody should be buying iPhones since they allow even less customization. But a lot of people do buy iPhones, which means a lot of people don't really care much about customization.

Brand image indeed. Why WP are receiving poor reputation? Because it is a windows phone! To them, what is windows phone? The phones are not even eye catching at all. Look at the flagships - 950 series. OMG...... Is really bad with the design. Look at G5, S7 edge, or even a budgeted XiaoMi Note 3, look so much better than the 950 flagships. Do you think consumers will even wanna try windows phone with such bad designs?
Android manufacturers have only recently focused on premium design and cleaner UIs. People were buying Androids before they had "eye catching" designs, so again design isn't the primary factor here. And the 950 looks very similar to the Nexus 5X, I don't see why either of those phones looks bad.

See? Again these are your personal likes and needs.
Yes, this thread is about why individual people are "thinking of leaving". I tried leaving several times and returned to WP, so I'm just posting my thoughts here.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The problem is people get emotionally attached to a communication device and it some how becomes parr of their identity. Their friends judge them on what freaking phone they use. Like it or not in the US having a iPhone still means you're part of the "cool" crowd. I had no problems switching, installing a launcher that took care of the hideous grid of icons & installed the apps I was not able to use that made my life easier. That's the whole point right? Using a tool that makes your everyday life a little easier. Windows Phone was actually doing the opposite for "me."

I mean what's the point of having a awesome phone, that you love, you think looks cool, your are 100% emotionally attached to the OS, if it is restrictive and a hindrance for the use it was made for?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos