Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Switching platforms | Thinking of leaving...comment here!

The problem is people get emotionally attached to a communication device and it some how becomes parr of their identity. Their friends judge them on what freaking phone they use. Like it or not in the US having a iPhone still means you're part of the "cool" crowd.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

This is so accurate. One of my friends made a joke about our other friend finally upgrading to iPhone.
Also when I turned off iMessage, one of my friends freaked out, joking about how we wouldn't have the same phone anymore. We both have the iPhone SE. Sad emoji with the tear and all.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'll use my profession as an example, in architecture all blueprints were hand drawn, then CAD became the norm. There were many architects that loved the way hand drawn plans looked and didn't want to switch to CAD for one reason or another, while the rest of the industry moved on to a tool that had clear benefits and made producing blueprints a lot easier, faster, etc. The architects that were emotionally attached to hand drawing had to make a choice, use a tool that was a hindrance, restrictive and inefficient but they loved or a tool that they didn't love but allowed them to be more efficient, produce blueprints faster and design better buildings. Guess what, no one hand draws blueprints anymore.

Why would I use a commincations tool a "phone" that hinders my communication, makes me a less efficient communicator and denies me the ability to make my life easier by installing apps that do so, just because I "love" the OS, especially when I can make a different device look & feel close to the OS I "love" and have all the benefits of the other OS/platform plus the apps from OS maker for the other OS/platform are better than on the OS I "love"?

Last edited:

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I'll use my profession as an example, in architecture all blueprints were hand drawn, then CAD became the norm. There were many architects that loved the way hand drawn plans looked and didn't want to switch to CAD for one reason or another, while the rest of the industry moved on to a tool that had clear benefits and made producing blueprints a lot easier, faster, etc. The architects that were emotionally attached to hand drawing had to make a choice, use a tool that was a hindrance, restrictive and inefficient but they loved or a tool that they didn't love but allowed them to be more efficient, produce blueprints faster and design better buildings. Guess what, no one hand draws blueprints anymore.

Why would I use a commincations tool a "phone" that hinders my communication, makes me a less efficient communicator and denies me the ability to make my life easier by installing apps that do so, just because I "love" the OS, especially when I can make a different device look & feel close to the OS I love and have all the benefits of the other OS/platform plus the OS makers apps for the other OS/platform are better than on the OS I "love"?

That's exactly my view as well. If I recall, Paul Thurrot said essentially the same thing.

I came back to Windows Phone twice because I really liked the OS and it's potential but each time but I find I end up staying with it for the wrong reasons.

I have had the same experience with Linux on the desktop. I enjoy hacking around with it (even have a Raspberry Pi) but I always ended up going back to Windows Desktop because in the end it just didn't have what I needed.

Sure I could probably force myself to get by in Linux desktop but why?

Of course I am still using Linux when I use my Android phone anyway.

I'm keeping my Lumia 640 though just in case things finally head in the right direction. Trying to be as much of an eternal optimist as I can :)

cmucodemonkey

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Goodbye

You could always install Win10 via the Windows Insider app....

I hear this argument a lot but it isn't always a good option, particularly if you use your phone daily. The builds available to insiders are not necessarily production ready, even if you are on the release preview ring. So if there are any bugs in those builds you are forced to take the good with the bad. Secondly, builds can be rather large and can potentially take a few hours to deploy to the device. Lastly, if you need to go back and forth between the current production code and the insider builds you have to do a rollback on your device, another action that could take some time.

I love the concept of insider builds, but they are really more for testing not production devices.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I hear this argument a lot but it isn't always a good option, particularly if you use your phone daily. The builds available to insiders are not necessarily production ready, even if you are on the release preview ring. So if there are any bugs in those builds you are forced to take the good with the bad. Secondly, builds can be rather large and can potentially take a few hours to deploy to the device. Lastly, if you need to go back and forth between the current production code and the insider builds you have to do a rollback on your device, another action that could take some time.

I love the concept of insider builds, but they are really more for testing not production devices.

There's fast ring, slow ring, and production ring which gives you the stable version that is used by all win10 devices out of the box. You should sign up and just use the production ring.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There's fast ring, slow ring, and production ring which gives you the stable version that is used by all win10 devices out of the box. You should sign up and just use the production ring.

There is Fast, Slow, Release and Production.

You cannot join Insider on the Production Ring. You won't even see it until you join one of the other Rings and accept an update.

You cannot get (or even see) Release Ring if you are on Fast or Slow right now. Fast and Slow are on Redstone builds and Release is on Threshold. You can't revert off Redstone unless you use WDRT.

If you are on any Ring and you go to Production that just stops future builds. It does not revert your device. You stay where you are until Official gets to a higher # and then you start picking up OTA Official updates.

Release Ring is on the current branch (TH2) at 10586.242. It does differ from Production (10586.218), but it is testing patches and bug fixes. However, when all the fixes are done for TH2 it will start to get Redstone builds when those near, or are at, RTM status so there is still risk. No one can really say when Release will move off Threshold and onto Redstone. Witness how many in the Slow Ring got caught on an overnight push to Redstone and they wanted to stay on Threshold 2...

At this time, Release is very stable. Legacy devices not getting Official W10M which can get on Release Ring should take advantage if their owners want W10M. Enroll in Insider. Choose Release. Accept the update(s) waiting. Choose Production to unenroll the device from Insider. Reset your device to make the smoothest transition. WaaS (Windows as a Service) will deliver any further Threshold updates to you without Insider being required.

Once Redstone builds hit Release Ring all legacy devices not receiving Official will probably be barred from any Insider updates and W10M access will likely be closed off to them in perpetuity.

Check out this thread: Windows Insider Testing and You [Recommended Guidelines]

For right now, Windows Device Recovery Tool is only flashing 8.1 to models that did not launch with 10 so it is the only way to revert if you don't care for W10M, no matter which Ring you are on: How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software?

Ruster Kat

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Went with the HTC 10 after all. First day on it. Really liking it, especially the hardware! I love my 920, but it is really nice to have apps and newer, speedier hardware! At first blush I have to say I do like the MS apps on W8.1 over their Android counterparts. Hoping for a MS comeback, but living in the present again after years in the cold.

leops1984

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
After about two and a half years of service it's time for me to upgrade from my Lumia 920. However... I'm not sure whether to stick around the Windows 10 Mobile ecosystem. I'm okay with Windows 10 Mobile right now, and but because I like to keep my devices for a long time (2-3 years) the uncertainty around Microsoft and mobile is... worrying.

Logically the 950 XL would be a good upgrade to my 920 - the only question is whether it'll be good for the timeframe I like to keep my devices. I'm not super-bothered by the app gap, although it does become an issue at times (usually in the occasional times I travel).

If I do jump to Android it'll be to something like the Nexus 6P, the Note 5, the Xperia Z5 Premium, or the Huawei P9.

I would prefer to stay on Windows 10 Mobile, but should I?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
After about two and a half years of service it's time for me to upgrade from my Lumia 920. However... I'm not sure whether to stick around the Windows 10 Mobile ecosystem. I'm okay with Windows 10 Mobile right now, and but because I like to keep my devices for a long time (2-3 years) the uncertainty around Microsoft and mobile is... worrying.

Logically the 950 XL would be a good upgrade to my 920 - the only question is whether it'll be good for the timeframe I like to keep my devices. I'm not super-bothered by the app gap, although it does become an issue at times (usually in the occasional times I travel).

If I do jump to Android it'll be to something like the Nexus 6P, the Note 5, the Xperia Z5 Premium, or the Huawei P9.

I would prefer to stay on Windows 10 Mobile, but should I?
Whether you want to stay with Windows 10 Mobile is up to you. Your best option is to get whatever device would best suit your needs now.

If you do get an Android device, I recommend the Nexus 6P, but none of the others. The Nexus devices get regular updates (every month) for several years. The other Android devices might not get timely (or any) updates.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I have agonized over this decision, to leave or stay. Microsoft flat pissed me off, first the Onedrive Data limit, then the mobile Windows 10 upgrade. I like 10 on my phone, I really do, I like Android to a point and they have some really nice phones, the 950's are just not a great looking device, great hardware, really good camera, but just kinda blah. The new crop of Android phones, Really nice, and Samsung, LG, HTC are on the top of my list. But, as great as they are it still boils down to Android and Windows, and app just really doesn't figure in for me, I have an Android tablet to play with, Trouble is Android is just so cluttered up and no live tiles ( I really like the live tiles ) I just know I would regret later down the road that I got the Android phone, I want my phone to be fast, uncomplicated and likeable, yes I said, likeable, I just have not really liked any Android phone I have ever owned or used and I always traded them off in the first year, I have had my HTC M8 Windows for 2 years. So, with all that being said, 950 here I come, get a good looking case, and I will be happy. I am with Windows phone to the bitter end, just took me a while to figure it out. So, whatever you decide, I hope it is the right decision for you, Good luck and enjoy.

leops1984

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Whether you want to stay with Windows 10 Mobile is up to you. Your best option is to get whatever device would best suit your needs now.

Truth be told what I'm really looking for is good reasons to stay - I like W10M as it is. I jumped on the platform with WP7 because I really do find the live tiles extremely useful, and I like the distinct look.

However, with everything happening (or not happening) around Microsoft and mobile, the question of viability is there for me... especially considering a lot of high-profile fans of WP/W10M have already jumped ship.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Truth be told what I'm really looking for is good reasons to stay - I like W10M as it is. I jumped on the platform with WP7 because I really do find the live tiles extremely useful, and I like the distinct look.

However, with everything happening (or not happening) around Microsoft and mobile, the question of viability is there for me... especially considering a lot of high-profile fans of WP/W10M have already jumped ship.

Who is considered high profile, out of curiosity? Just wondering.

mohit9206

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft really botched the entry level models. Lumia 520 was so successful. Look at lumia 550. Not even a fraction of the sales of the 520.Why? Well im sure everybody already knows the answer.
Same for high end phones like 950. I mean who in their right minds would buy 950 when you can better phones like G4,6P,etc for much cheaper. Only diehard Windows phone fans. Nobody else ofcourse.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft really botched the entry level models. Lumia 520 was so successful. Look at lumia 550. Not even a fraction of the sales of the 520.Why? Well im sure everybody already knows the answer.
Same for high end phones like 950. I mean who in their right minds would buy 950 when you can better phones like G4,6P,etc for much cheaper. Only diehard Windows phone fans. Nobody else ofcourse.
Not only that, they didn't capitalize on the momentum of the 520/521. Not all Windows Phone users crave a flagship. When it was about that time for the 520 owners to upgrade to something a little better, there wasn't anything. They really needed a Lumia 640 back then. I was one of those users. I ended up going to Android. I came back for the 640 as it was almost the perfect windows phone ie it seemed to fix all the faults of the 521 such as mediocre battery, poor sunlight viewable screen etc (for me anyway). Then Microsoft dropped the ball again by dumping Nokia and setting up a decline instead of continuing the upward trend of the 520 before it.

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Last Hold out

Well my family has officially switched from Windows phone that being my brother with a iPhone SE. It's sad really but the app gap got them especially my sister who switched first then my mum then my brother then me and now my other brother. But funny thing is that they all miss the tile interface and they still have the devices but use them as well music players. I promised them that things will get better but to no avail. Will still use Microsoft products but not mobile anymore.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android (from my Nexus 5x or LG V10)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Last Hold out

Microsoft makes great products for their services. I can see myself continuing to use their services. Even though I have an iPhone (SE too), and an Android (Nextbit Robin) that I am "trying" out, I am using mostly MS services through and through. I only use OneDrive, and Outlook (thank goodness for Paul Thurrott showing how I can sync just contacts and I don't have to use Gmail for my email). Never used iCloud, Google Drive (aside from the device backup thing), iPhone Mail app, and Google Photos.

Last edited:

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: Last Hold out

Microsoft makes great products for their services. I can see myself continuing to use their services. Even though I have an iPhone (SE too), and an Android (Nextbit Robin) that I am "trying" out, I am using mostly MS services through and through. I only use OneDrive, and Outlook (thank goodness for Paul Thurrott showing how I can sync just contacts and I don't have to use Gmail for my email). Never used iCloud, Google Drive (aside from the device backup thing), iPhone Mail app, and Google Photos.

Yes that's what we all did fortunately it was very simple.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android (from my Nexus 5x or LG V10)

Snapperlicious

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site

If you do get an Android device, I recommend the Nexus 6P, but none of the others. The Nexus devices get regular updates (every month) for several years. The other Android devices might not get timely (or any) updates.

This is true if that's what's most important to you. Probably not the best advice for anyone that puts the camera as their most important feature.

KCandSunshine13

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry, but between:
1.) the lack of Verizon support for Windows anything and
2.) the app gap / poor quality of the Universal apps on Win 10
together, they finally broke me. I caved and bit the poison fruit.

You see, I'm in a new town, with a new job. The new company - like my former job - issues any Verizon phone you want. I really liked the Samsung Galaxy Edge S7; it is just the right size in my hand. However, two different Verizon reps mentioned that the iPhone 6S+ has a better antenna. Since I'm now on the coast, I had noticed fewer bars on my old Lumia 735; therefore, a quality antenna was the deciding factor for me. As for apps, I'm staying with my credit union; however, there are no branches in this town. Therefore, I need the banking app - only offered for iOS and Androids. I will still continue to use OneDrive & OneNote (love OneNote!). The new job issues Windows laptops with Microsoft productivity suite on them. So, I will keep my ear to the ground for any breaking Windows 10 news (e.g. - a Surface phone perhaps?); however, I don't think I will be upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10 anytime soon since I no longer have a Windows phone.

Best,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven