Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snapperlicious

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
However, two different Verizon reps mentioned that the iPhone 6S+ has a better antenna. Since I'm now on the coast, I had noticed fewer bars on my old Lumia 735; therefore, a quality antenna was the deciding factor for me..

One thing people should know is the S7E reports fewer bars, but the antenna quality is not any more inferior than it is with the iPhone. I have the S7E, my wife has the iPhone 6+, same carrier, her phone typically reports one more bar, but the call quality, and data performance is all very similar between the two phones. I suspect those Verizon employees are basing that comment off of the visual indicator which is hardly scientific. There are plenty of other people reporting similar results over on Android Central. The S7E indicator is very conservative. It's been a bit of a mental adjustment, because there are times I get bluetooth notifications saying the signal level is poor, or see one bar, but I have yet to experience a single dropped call or poor voice/data quality in those situations.

SaitamaSan

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Thinking about moving back to Android...

Hi,

I've been a Windows Mobile Use for about 3 years now. Started with a Lumia 625 with Windows 8, upgraded it to 8.1, and now I have a Lumia 735 which I updated (via the update app) to Windows 10.

I was an android user before and decided to switch over when yet another android phone became too laggy to be of use...

Everybody kept complaining about the lack of apps in windows mobile, but for my daily needs it was more than OK, viewing and sending emails, browsing facebook, using FB messenger and whatsapp, and some light web browsing. All of these worked faster and cleaner than on Android, the battery life was great, the OS was VERY responsive and simple, I loved it. Still on the lack of apps I found that simply using the mobile versions on the browser worked better than most of the Android apps (at least at the time) so I was a happy customer.

Now on Windows 10 even my not very demanding daily tasks are becoming a hassle and making my user experience almost unbearable.

My issues:

I was amazed that a low end device like the Lumia 625 could run Windows 8.1 so smoothly, changing between apps was seamless, and nothing ever crashed. On windows 10 its much less responsive and I'm starting to see "Loading" screens when I change apps (one of the main reasons I stopped using Lagdroid). I am also experiencing some crashes from time to time. Still I can live with this, it runs well enough...

The battery on my 735 lasted about 2 days with W8.1 (yes, I'm not a heavy user), it dropped to about 1 day on W10. Still 1 day is sufficient, so I can also live with that...

The FB messenger app is now years behind the other mobile competition with some major flaws like not being able to flip the screen horizontally. W10 brought another major flaw of not allowing me to take a snap picture and send it through chat. I can use the camera and then send it via chat, so I can also live with that...

Now the deal-breaker for me the Outlook app and GMAIL integration. Here is where I draw the line. I use GMAIL as my main account, and get a few dozen emails a day (many work related) and send about the same amount. The app doesn't sync properly, doesn't notify me on the quick action bar or notification screen (although all those options are marked as yes). So I am missing important emails and that's very harmful in my line of business. Also some simple tasks have become impossible, I wanted to forward an email the other day and the app simply greyed out the send button (had to remove and re-add the account to make it work). Right now I wanted to view a .pdf file on an email and download it, and the app wouldn't allow me to do so for some reason..

I've searched the forum and I can't find a definite answer on this, so I'm asking, is it me? Are other people having the same issues? Is there a workaround or something? (especially regarding the GMAIL issue)

Thanks in advance for your help.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Thinking about moving back to Android...

To me, it sounds like you can lose anything by going back to Android for a bit. I don't feel like having so much care and desire to use a platform should hurt your bottom line.

As for a workaround, I have no idea.

Shan Ali Khan

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
i have shift to IOS , from lumia 535 and then iphone 5S
had 520 before that
I can say i only miss windows build news and new build in Windows phone 10
other then else all things are available in IOS , i will recommend all the users to switch and keep using outlook for even contacts etc until Windows 10 mobile get very mature that is not very long

rinosaur

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

Now the deal-breaker for me the Outlook app and GMAIL integration. Here is where I draw the line. I use GMAIL as my main account, and get a few dozen emails a day (many work related) and send about the same amount. The app doesn't sync properly, doesn't notify me on the quick action bar or notification screen (although all those options are marked as yes). So I am missing important emails and that's very harmful in my line of business. Also some simple tasks have become impossible, I wanted to forward an email the other day and the app simply greyed out the send button (had to remove and re-add the account to make it work). Right now I wanted to view a .pdf file on an email and download it, and the app wouldn't allow me to do so for some reason..

If WP is starting to impede your workplace productivity and effectiveness its time to switch asap. Of course you can have a tester phone you can stay up to date on WM10 with but for your daily you need iOS or Android.

Darkseider

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
On the flip side I have switched FROM Android to WP10 and a Lumia 950. I find it has better battery life than most Android devices which I have been using since the original HTC G1 up to my last which was a LG G4. The apps I need are there, WP10 is fast slick and stable and lastly continuum is now an everyday part of my usage.

SaitamaSan

May 13, 2016
Visit site

If WP is starting to impede your workplace productivity and effectiveness its time to switch asap. Of course you can have a tester phone you can stay up to date on WM10 with but for your daily you need iOS or Android.

Yes I am inclined to agree, but the purpose of my question was to find out if people are having the same issues as I am or not. Cause if not I can try some workarounds like a hard reset or something like that. The point is I really like WP and switching to Android would be my last resort....

quotethepigeon

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I just upgraded to a Huawei p9 android.... It's a great phone but not too fond of android if I'm honest. It's a bit messy.... However if simple things like Gmail syncing and Gmail actually working on the outlook app aren't sorted I'm forced to stay on android

peetypies

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I've had several Windows Phones starting with the Lumia 1020 finally ending up with a Lumia 930 which I quite liked apart from when I put an insider version of Windows 10 on it and expected it to melt it got so hot and drained the battery in about 3 hours!
My current bank doesn't have a Windows Phone App which is irritating, the apps that do exist seem to be "crippled" or at least a poor implementation of other OS's and everything that's advertised on TV is available in the Apple or Play Store but nothing for WP so I jumped ship
I've had a fruity phone for 6 months which I absolutely hated and then moved to Android which I don't really like either but they've both got the apps.
I'm coming back to Windows Phone with a 950XL and the continuum dock - I'm really hoping this is going to be a good phone now the OS has been through several updates.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I just upgraded to a Huawei p9 android.... It's a great phone but not too fond of android if I'm honest. It's a bit messy.... However if simple things like Gmail syncing and Gmail actually working on the outlook app aren't sorted I'm forced to stay on android

You should try another email service. It's good to have more than one. Certainly google doesn't want you to leave Gmail, android and it's data mining advertising company. It's goggle that is trapping you. Microsoft makes it's services available on other platforms.
Just offering another point of view.
Best Wishes

Callum_Smith

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Moving On

I don't want to be that guy, but after the last few weeks I'm afraid the issues with this phone have cracked me. I had edge crash at least half a dozen times today, phone rebooting twice and freezing when just watching YouTube.

I loved my Lumia 820, and never really ran into issues. However, windows 10 is troublesome on my 950 and as much as we all like to proclaim "there's no app gap" there really is. Sadly ill be trying the iPhone 7 a go once it releases, and saw much as I don't like apple, at least their ecosystem is stable and well sorted.

How have you guys felt lately?

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Moving On

I'm using an Icon with W10 Release Preview with no issues. The app gap is not that big a deal to me. My phone makes/receives calls; sends/receives text messages and can access the internet. It tracks my mileage; handles my checkbook entries and does the various jobs I need it to. I could care less if SnapChat, or the latest Vine app ever comes to the platform. I'm an adult. Life is too important to be worrying if the latest app is coming out for W10.

Callum_Smith

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

I find it disgusting that my band 2 is having trouble still syncing/ connecting. I can guarantee apple watch and iPhone would not have this problem.
Hell, my alarm only works occasionally, and it's lucky I have my band on and an alarm set. But, in order for the band alarm to work I have to desync from my phone so the phone doesn't cancel the band alarm

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

The 950 and XL does have it's fair share of issues which most older flagships don't. But they are good devices as well. You could very well move on to any other platform but did you try performing a hard reset on the 950 to start fresh? It does clean up majority of the issues that have been reported and provides a smooth experience overall.

Callum_Smith

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

Originally posted by pankaj981
The 950 and XL does have it's fair share of issues which most older flagships don't. But they are good devices as well. You could very well move on to any other platform but did you try performing a hard reset on the 950 to start fresh? It does clean up majority of the issues that have been reported and provides a smooth experience overall.

Hard reset every update, because just before every update in plagued with issues. I really wanted Microsoft to recover but unfortunately such an unsupported platform can only last so long. I mean, how many apple employees out google employees are working on ios and android? Microsoft can't even fix issues, let alone advance the os

MistrWashington

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I switched and I'm not disappointed.

I've been using my new gently used Nexus 5X for a week while on vacation. I have it running Android N Beta Preview 2. I have never owned an Android device and gave this model a try for a couple of reasons. First, my 950 on the latest Windows 10 Insider Fast Build was and is still buggy. Way buggy. Two, Android is finally starting to do some things with the OS that we're used to in Windows and I wanted to see if the grass is greener on the other side. It is and I'm happy. I could list all the reasons but they're numerous so here are the top two: the rear finger print reader and the speed. I'm happy to give more details and I still will be using my 950, but it might have seen the last of its full days use from me.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

ap0calypto

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site

I found a solution for my lumia 930. Instead of using it as a phone, now i use it only to update it. So it is in stock condition, waiting for update then hard reset xD

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site

Hard reset every update, because just before every update in plagued with issues. I really wanted Microsoft to recover but unfortunately such an unsupported platform can only last so long. I mean, how many apple employees out google employees are working on ios and android? Microsoft can't even fix issues, let alone advance the os

Why don't ypu use the WDRT and bring yoyr 950 to the latest released version. I found that doing this to my 950xl made it a lot more stable. I no longer do the Insider thing, just the released updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium