Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rinosaur

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Moving On

I find it disgusting that my band 2 is having trouble still syncing/ connecting. I can guarantee apple watch and iPhone would not have this problem.
Hell, my alarm only works occasionally, and it's lucky I have my band on and an alarm set. But, in order for the band alarm to work I have to desync from my phone so the phone doesn't cancel the band alarm

The Realarm app has worked best for me. It was quite a shocker when the stock alarm app started ringing at times it was NOT supposed to ring (ghost alarms). I too will probably move to iOS. I thought W10M on Release would work well on a designed-for-10 L950, but still its too much frustration on a daily basis.

Callum_Smith

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm disgusted that they released the 95's with 10. It should still in my opinion be in Beta. Hell, even trying this on edge froze and gave me keyboard issues

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Even though I like iOS a lot with my SE, I felt the urge to try the Nextbit Robin, because I have been lusting after it. I have been liking it a lot, and it has changed my views on Android. Dang. However, I'm torn and I wonder what anyone else here would do.

My issues with the Robin is with battery life and MMS. It only lasts for a day (literally) so I am charging it daily. It also has an issue with sending and receiving MMS while connected to WiFi. When WiFi is turned off, all my MMS are able to download, which is annoying.

My iPhone SE on the other hand has great battery life, it actually matches my 640 (a day and some) and it works just fine. The size is great, no issues. I also really like it, but it's kind of eh, not all that different.

The conflict I have is if I should return the Robin or not. I have been stalling on purchasing AppleCare+ for the SE because of my feelings (I still have time though). I enjoy that the Robin is different. So much. My brother says that it doesn't make sense to pay to be a beta tester and that I should just stick with what works (the SE), because I already have something that works. Thoughts?

This is surely not keeping me up at night or anything, but it's still valid. I really liked that Windows Phone/Mobile is perfectly in the middle. You can be different and still have something that works. In my case, if I do Android, I only want to use the Robin. I have no desire for any other devices, neither a desire to flash a ROM either.

Callum_Smith

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
So today my phone has chewed from 100% battery down to 7% in four hours. Id like to think its because of all the use but it cant be that, I check instagram 3 times and the rest of the time it was asleep in my pocket. I did a few restarts (well the phone did, because it crashes..). So I pulled the battery out, let it sit for a minute, and turned it back on. Now its doing what it does every time, tells me there were sim changes (there never are) and i need to restart. Every damn time i turn my phone on!

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
So today my phone has chewed from 100% battery down to 7% in four hours. Id like to think its because of all the use but it cant be that, I check instagram 3 times and the rest of the time it was asleep in my pocket. I did a few restarts (well the phone did, because it crashes..). So I pulled the battery out, let it sit for a minute, and turned it back on. Now its doing what it does every time, tells me there were sim changes (there never are) and i need to restart. Every damn time i turn my phone on!
Don't worry, the B Team will soon release a new build full of new bugs

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Wait, this is still with the 950?

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I just upgraded to a Huawei p9 android.... It's a great phone but not too fond of android if I'm honest. It's a bit messy.... However if simple things like Gmail syncing and Gmail actually working on the outlook app aren't sorted I'm forced to stay on android

I'm really curious when people say that Android is messy. In what kind of messiness is Android having? Icons, or the user experiences with apps? TBH, showing the WP tile screen to someone coming from Android / iOS can be a hell more messier to them. Perhaps your definition of "messy" is due to being unfamiliar with the new OS?

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

I don't want to be that guy, but after the last few weeks I'm afraid the issues with this phone have cracked me. I had edge crash at least half a dozen times today, phone rebooting twice and freezing when just watching YouTube.

I loved my Lumia 820, and never really ran into issues. However, windows 10 is troublesome on my 950 and as much as we all like to proclaim "there's no app gap" there really is. Sadly ill be trying the iPhone 7 a go once it releases, and saw much as I don't like apple, at least their ecosystem is stable and well sorted.

How have you guys felt lately?

I got the 950 on day one and I had tons of freezes and reboots until the first major update came out (.36 if I remember correctly). It still wasn't great after that, but eventually I did a hard reset around the time .218 came out and it's been great since then. No random reboots in the recent past, and as of .318 my battery life is also much better. I don't really have any major complaints right now.

In other news, today's Instagram update is great news for the ecosystem (even though I don't use the app myself). When was the last time we got a major app update right on the heels of iOS/Android? Facebook really seems to be investing in W10 and I'm hoping that others will follow suit.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Even though I like iOS a lot with my SE, I felt the urge to try the Nextbit Robin, because I have been lusting after it. I have been liking it a lot, and it has changed my views on Android. Dang. However, I'm torn and I wonder what anyone else here would do.

My issues with the Robin is with battery life and MMS. It only lasts for a day (literally) so I am charging it daily. It also has an issue with sending and receiving MMS while connected to WiFi. When WiFi is turned off, all my MMS are able to download, which is annoying.

My iPhone SE on the other hand has great battery life, it actually matches my 640 (a day and some) and it works just fine. The size is great, no issues. I also really like it, but it's kind of eh, not all that different.

The conflict I have is if I should return the Robin or not. I have been stalling on purchasing AppleCare+ for the SE because of my feelings (I still have time though). I enjoy that the Robin is different. So much. My brother says that it doesn't make sense to pay to be a beta tester and that I should just stick with what works (the SE), because I already have something that works. Thoughts?

This is surely not keeping me up at night or anything, but it's still valid. I really liked that Windows Phone/Mobile is perfectly in the middle. You can be different and still have something that works. In my case, if I do Android, I only want to use the Robin. I have no desire for any other devices, neither a desire to flash a ROM either.

After typing this, I'm still conflicted but I think I might return this. The Robin passed the work test, yes, but having to turn off WiFi at work means that I have edge speeds inside the building I actually work. Ugh. At the same time, I'm feeling like I don't want to give up. Geez, why is this so hard?

Edit: Found a workaround for this MMS issue that actually works, so I'm pretty sure that I will be keeping this phone.

Last edited:

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm really curious when people say that Android is messy. In what kind of messiness is Android having? Icons, or the user experiences with apps? TBH, showing the WP tile screen to someone coming from Android / iOS can be a hell more messier to them. Perhaps your definition of "messy" is due to being unfamiliar with the new OS?

I'm actually really curious too as to what people mean when they say Android is "messy". I see people mention that as a reason sometimes, and I'm genuinely curious.

I have an iOS-using friend who thinks that W10m is really messy when he checked out my 640 with .318. He mentioned how some of the icons were transparent while some were not, how there were huge icons and tiny icons on the same screen, and how the design was half Android-ish and half 8.1-ish. It's probably my fault. The way I like to set up my homescreen isn't visually attractive at all, but it's more organized and functional for me (folders on the right since I'm right-handed and large info tiles on the left).

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually really curious too as to what people mean when they say Android is "messy". I see people mention that as a reason sometimes, and I'm genuinely curious.

I have an iOS-using friend who thinks that W10m is really messy when he checked out my 640 with .318. He mentioned how some of the icons were transparent while some were not, how there were huge icons and tiny icons on the same screen, and how the design was half Android-ish and half 8.1-ish. It's probably my fault. The way I like to set up my homescreen isn't visually attractive at all, but it's more organized and functional for me (folders on the right since I'm right-handed and large info tiles on the left).
Could you please post a screenshot of your homescreen?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have an iOS-using friend who thinks that W10m is really messy when he checked out my 640 with .318.

Although I was used to Android instead of iOS, I thought the same thing about WP. It was very confusing and messy looking. However, as I became used to it, I no longer thought that. I am now very familiar with all three OS's, and I do not think any of them are messy or confusing.

From my experience, a user's perception of "messy" and "confusing" has less to do with objective viewpoints, and more to do with what the user is used to and likes.

SaitamaSan

May 13, 2016
Visit site

Well, I used android from 1.6 until 4.0, and am using Windows Phone from 8.0 till 10 (last 3 years). Also I had an iPhone as a company phone, so I've basically tried them all for size.

In my humble opinion, Windows Phone has the simplest and most effective UI. As I've said I only use a very limited number of apps (Facebook, FB messenger, Email, Whatsapp, Browser and few others), and in that regard WP gets everything nicely tucked in with the live tiles, it's fast and functional, and that's what I value the most.

I'm considering changing platforms only because of GMAIL sync issues on WP10 (if my email doesn't sync properly WP is no longer functional for me). One other thing I found very important is that at least in WP8.1 you would get a very unified user experience, It was working fine on my 625 and worked as well in my 735 as it did with my older phone (though the 735 is nicer looking, has a better camera, screen, etc.). In Android experiences may vary, what's great with a Galaxy S6 possibly isn't with a low end model... As for the iPhone the experience is also unified but the price tag is unacceptable to me... These are my 2 cents on it.

Brian Emmerling

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
In regards to looking messy.

The idea behind the smart tiles is windows mobile mantra that "content" is design; meaning get the users the information he/she wants as quick as you can, ie live tiles. For me the live tiles where never very up to date or timely, so i had to open the app anyway. I think the reason is, if a OS would allow that many apps running background tasks all the time, it would drain the battery too much.

Also, it is up to the developers to provide the icons. MS recommends providing an icon with a transparent background so that the user settings create the look and feel, however, they do not enforce it. If MS would enforce the transparent background on icons, that would be ggrreeeeeeeeeaaaaattttt.

groady-ho baluzy

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
I thought android was very messy at first, with settings all over the place and icons everywhere. Then I cleaned up my home screen and now it's neat as can be. I actually love it now. Widgets are decent but not great. In then end its still all the same, you have to open the icon/live tile to get anywhere or anything done.
I also find google on tap to be pretty good also.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I thought android was very messy at first, with settings all over the place and icons everywhere. Then I cleaned up my home screen and now it's neat as can be. I actually love it now. Widgets are decent but not great. In then end its still all the same, you have to open the icon/live tile to get anywhere or anything done.
I also find google on tap to be pretty good also.

I haven't used google on tap but I agree. I think the launcher can help too with this. I don't like how the Nextbit handles widgets so I'm just not using them. I only used them for weather anyway.

Last edited:

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Could you please post a screenshot of your homescreen?

Sure. Here's my homescreen as my friend saw it. I know, it's not very visually appealing, and I can see what my friend was talking about with the mix of differently-sized transparent/non-transparent icons. I've seen some very beautiful designs posted in this forum, and I suppose I could've mimicked some of them, but I find that the way my homescreen is organized really does work the best for me: large info tiles on the left, organized folders on the right. Or maybe it's just because I'm used to it; my Android homescreens are set up the same way: widgets on the left, folders on the right.

wp_ss_20160516_0001.jpg

SaitamaSan

May 13, 2016
Visit site

I got the 950 on day one and I had tons of freezes and reboots until the first major update came out (.36 if I remember correctly). It still wasn't great after that, but eventually I did a hard reset around the time .218 came out and it's been great since then. No random reboots in the recent past, and as of .318 my battery life is also much better. I don't really have any major complaints right now.

In other news, today's Instagram update is great news for the ecosystem (even though I don't use the app myself). When was the last time we got a major app update right on the heels of iOS/Android? Facebook really seems to be investing in W10 and I'm hoping that others will follow suit.

So a hard reset may solve some issues? I have a Lumia 735 that came with WP8.1 pre-installed, will a hard reset send me back to WP8.1? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077