Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricardo Gonzalez5

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
The question will be better if we could know why we are using windows phone, ...because we believe that windows is better than Apple and Android? because Cell are better or cheaper? or because it is a different system(OS) for people who do not like to handle different things? or because we do not know? For me because is very easy to use day a day, look so difference but nice, but this it enough for still use WP? ...

Sonu K

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Which Windows Phone did you have?

Which new phone are you getting?

I have a Lumia 630 dual sim.
I'm gonna buy a 'Xiaomi Redmi Note 3'. Hilarious part is Lumia 630 was launched for the same price of Redmi Note 3. And the difference in specs!!
Here is a small comparison . Click Here

And my second Android phone will be a Nokia. :)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking of dabbling in using my Windows phone (debating if I should use the old daily driver, the 640 or the media 435) for the weekend. I like how solid the iPhone SE has been but it's kind of boring. I'm sorry but ah. It has all of the apps, but I'll like to see how long I can last with doing the pinning thing. I can't get over how Windows Phone has a perfect balance of not being boring, but at the same time, not having to customize everything ever and find myself overwhelmed.

I'll probably try Insider too because 8.1 does not have the updates there...

ianberg

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I decided to leave WinPhone for Android... I've been on WP since WP7, having owned a Dell Venue Pro, then a L810, L925, L1520, and finally a L640. I've also had my wife along for the ride, she's had the HTC one (can't remember model #), L810, L925, L635 and L640. I wanted the platform to succeed... but it is dead.

The app gap is what mainly drove me to switch from WP to Android last year. I have not regretted it. My wife still uses her Lumia 520 running WP8.1 and likes it but she is uninterested in apps. She uses the Lumia just for calls, SMS and occasional photos as though it were just a feature phone. And I didn't throw my Lumia 710 away, it works fine as an MP3 player, radio and alarm clock for me.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The app gap is what mainly drove me to switch from WP to Android last year. I have not regretted it. My wife still uses her Lumia 520 running WP8.1 and likes it but she is uninterested in apps. She uses the Lumia just for calls, SMS and occasional photos as though it were just a feature phone. And I didn't throw my Lumia 710 away, it works fine as an MP3 player, radio and alarm clock for me.

So what exactly, are the new apps that you now use, and be honest, how often. It's okay to admit, that you were just thirsty to spend money and wanted to learn something new.
Just my thoughts.
Best Wishes.

Kevin Rush.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So what exactly, are the new apps that you now use, and be honest, how often. It's okay to admit, that you were just thirsty to spend money and wanted to learn something new.
Just my thoughts.
Best Wishes.

Kevin Rush.

I can tell what I couldn't use & now do use since switching from the ICON to a GS7.

2 banking apps(1 national bank & 1 local credit union,) my son's school app, my daughter's university app for parents, Super shuttle apps for checking in & making reservations, my county, state & national parks apps( I live in Colorado & use these a ton,) local news, my work apps for architecture, Samsung pay, Xfinity Go and Geico. Plus I now use a micro SD card & the Camera is better than the ICON & as good or better than the 950/950XL & it's water resistant up to 3 meters for 30 mins.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Switching platforms | Thinking of leaving...comment here!

Decided to do it even though I have work in the morning. ImageUploadedByWindows Central Forums1463717515.873534.jpg

I'm out of time to set stuff up but kind of excited

Edit: So it's the next day and I'm so glad it's dead at work since it's the end of the semester. I was doing that setup on my media 435 and it finished but I decided to bring my 640 too, so that I can set that up while here at work. Perfect environment to do so. Hoping that it would be all done with installing so that I can get my apps and my setup of the screen and everything. I bought the charger for the 640 too, so it is on! Still feeling excited, so excited that I forgot to put my jewelry on before leaving home :grin:

Last edited:

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I can tell what I couldn't use & now do use since switching from the ICON to a GS7.

2 banking apps(1 national bank & 1 local credit union,) my son's school app, my daughter's university app for parents, Super shuttle apps for checking in & making reservations, my county, state & national parks apps( I live in Colorado & use these a ton,) local news, my work apps for architecture, Samsung pay, Xfinity Go and Geico. Plus I now use a micro SD card & the Camera is better than the ICON & as good or better than the 950/950XL & it's water resistant up to 3 meters for 30 mins.

$792 at Verizon. Nice looking phone.

I can see the value of the Super shuttle apps for checking in & making reservations. Very handy on the go.

May I ask, what are your work apps for architecture?

Best Wishes

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
So I think it's been a month or so since I moved to ios. I don't really use the apps I thought I would, but I did download some dating apps, why not lol. But overall, I think the most convenient feature I like about my SE is the fingerprint reader. It's way faster than the iris scanner. Also the occasional use of Apple Pay. Another feature that I think suits my need is the Firefox. I'm a Firefox user so I like it how it just syncs to my phone. I know edge has this in WP, but I use Firefox 90% of the time when I'm on my desktop, and use Edge when I'm on my laptop. So am I coming back to WP? Maybe. Who knows what the rumored Surface Phone would have. Oh and I saw the iPhone 7 renders... Again nothing new with it. I'm curious to see what the new "Nokia" will produce and that may attract me to go back to Android again. Only time will tell...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So I think it's been a month or so since I moved to ios. I don't really use the apps I thought I would, but I did download some dating apps, why not lol. So am I coming back to WP? Maybe. Who knows what the rumored Surface Phone would have. Oh and I saw the iPhone 7 renders... Again nothing new with it. I'm curious to see what the new "Nokia" will produce and that may attract me to go back to Android again. Only time will tell...

I remember a post that you posted about going back to the 950 (or xl) a little while ago, and I agree with you on some of your points here. I also used some apps because they are there too. I realized that one of the apps I use is because of how youtube only allows background playback if you get YouTube Music, I think. I will also be looking at Nokia's offerings out of curiosity. Going to give WP a whirl for the weekend, and see how that goes for me.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I remember a post that you posted about going back to the 950 (or xl) a little while ago, and I agree with you on some of your points here. I also used some apps because they are there too. I realized that one of the apps I use is because of how youtube only allows background playback if you get YouTube Music, I think. I will also be looking at Nokia's offerings out of curiosity. Going to give WP a whirl for the weekend, and see how that goes for me.

I ended up selling it cos I am quite satisfied with the iPhone. However, i did buy a 1520 to satisfy that urge to use WM10. :)

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
$792 at Verizon. Nice looking phone.

I can see the value of the Super shuttle apps for checking in & making reservations. Very handy on the go.

May I ask, what are your work apps for architecture?

Best Wishes

Mine was only $672 the Edge is $795 & too big for me. Plus I got a free Samsung Gear 2 watch.

The apps I use for work are Autodesk A360 mobile & eBillity Time Tracker.

The parks apps are the other big ones I use for hiking & biking. Chimani, REI and The Pocket Ranger? Colorado State Parks Guide apps are awesome.

Park goers can access rich GPS features, such as:

• Advanced GPS Maps, which allow users to access trail data, record tracks from hikes, runs, or bike rides, and view elapsed time and distance traveled.
  • Easy-to-cache GPS Terrain Map tiles, which ensure that navigation remains possible in the event of lost mobile reception.
  • Photo waypoint feature allowing users to snap a photo and mark and record the coordinates of plant life, animal species or landscape views. Post or share these remarkable finds with family and friends with the click of a button.
  • Friend Finder feature that allows users to keep track of friends and family around the parks.
  • Built-in compass to help direct users through the parks.
  • Potentially life-saving Alert feature that supplies users' GPS coordinates to designated contacts in case of an emergency.
Pocket Ranger? technology also provides plenty of other standard features that make exploring the great outdoors a breeze, including:

• Thorough information on all State Parks including general policy, contact information, activities, trails, park maps and much more.
  • Detailed, cacheable maps of park facilities, trails and campgrounds.
  • Up-to-date news and information on park advisories and weather information.
  • Sharing features that allow users to share current positions, waypoints and recorded tracks via Facebook, Twitter, or email.
  • A Calendar of Events, updated in real time, listing all State Park events with the ability to filter by desired park. Users can also create their own schedule that can include any event from any park.
  • Access to online reservations that make it easy to secure overnight visits.
  • Plus so much more!

Last edited:

Vyenkatesh

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Constant phone heating and Glance screen details multiplication on screen is driving me crazy, Did Hard reset,visited service center a month back but issue keep popping up. Today again visited Microsoft Service Center... Guess what.. they are not Microsoft service center and now serving Lenovo and Motorola in Thane city. Service center in other areas in other part of Mumbai city are also changed their service owners or shutting down.
Microsoft priority Shop is also have deserted most of the time.
Time to shift now. iPhone SE or iPhone 6s. I am visiting Apple store today to check these phones and decide whether to keep Lumia 1520 after checking buyback price. Or else opt for Insiders preview on Lumia 1520 and go for iPhone.

Queen Kong1

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
The Word Flow keyboard on iphone is better than win 10 one. crazy. I'm on android 24/7 but checking in for the facebook app mobile then i may move i need it.

haree

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Just Saying good bye

hi
guys i gave my BLU win jrLTE to my sis inlaw i wasnt using it just got a good price on amazon got it and had it as a spare phone .My daily driver is an OPX
to put it to good use i gifted it to her .SO thanks for all ur support and info it was fun here and goodbye wishing u all good luck

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Just Saying good bye

hi
guys i gave my BLU win jrLTE to my sis inlaw i wasnt using it just got a good price on amazon got it and had it as a spare phone .My daily driver is an OPX
to put it to good use i gifted it to her .SO thanks for all ur support and info it was fun here and goodbye wishing u all good luck
Good luck with your new OnePlus X.

I hope your sister-in-law enjoys the BLU Win JR LTE. That's cool you provided it with a new home.

User_name_who

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi again. Been coming back reading this thread for a few days now. Posted why I'm leaving WP a few pages back. Just wanted to fill in some thoughts; When the Lumia 920 was released here (Sweden) I directly bought one. Although it was hard to find a store that had those in stock. There were no advertising or commercials about this flagship cellphone. In fact all WindowsPhones were situated in the far, dark corner of every shop or retailer I visited. The knowledge from salesmen wasn't better....."Say what?? You want a WP?? Lets see where we keep them and IF we have any of them in stock....." and it wasn't better when you asked them to startup the phone and/or promote the WP for you to buy it. Almost everybody knew nada. Well, so far I've had this Lumia 920, Lumia 735 and now a 650. All of them I've been forced to know everything I want/need by browsing the web, including if they were available in Sweden. The situation is exactly the same today....no wonder nobody is seen with a WP among friends/colleagues or in public. As I feel it , it's like MS don't give a sxxt about this business or their customers. Yes, they release a few new models now and then but it dont feel like a solid interest in this from MS. I really, really like the OS but I'm leaving because of what I written above and because of the app gap. How are Lumias or WP's marketed and advertised where YOU live? Very curious....

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So the weekend has come to a close for me.

To recap what that means for me, basically I had the idea of trying out my 640 on Insider for the weekend, and then I decided to do it after thinking about it.

I ended up doing it on my 435 and my 640 with the official production release for the latter, I messed up on the former first but eh, it is what it is. I thought that after this weekend, I would know for sure and have answers to if I can rock it with W10M or go back to the boring iPhone for the interim. Since I'm not sure, I will give this until Friday.

My general thoughts:
-Much better than the first time I tried Insider last year
-I like the aesthetics
-Why are pinned sites so ugly? On iPhone, at least the pinned site makes it like an icon.
-I keep forgetting that I have a phone with Glance so I keep waking up the screen to see if I have notifications. Old habits die hard?
-Having a phone that isn't as boring is pleasing me so far (green back power!)
-Outlook, and GroupMe look so good!
-We finally have a timer built in the system
-Battery life isn't as bad as I have read for some people. I charged yesterday evening (early) and I still haven't had to charge yet but will bring cable just in case to work tomorrow
-Fortunately, my book app works awesome in Edge, and there's some kind of thing that allowed me to install MLB At Bat app on my phone since I had it before so this is pleasing to me too
-I miss my social app, that is probably the one app that is bothering me the most
-The official Twitter app looks good, but trying Fenice right now
-For some reason, my 640 refused to connect to WiFi at church today, but it connected just fine on Friday so idk?
-The new Windows Central app is really nice but it's annoying when it comes to long threads, like this one, so I only use it for news. On that note, finally discovered the awesome of mTalk, I see why everyone talks about it all the time!
-Customization, omg I can customize all the way again!

Last edited:

haree

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Just Saying good bye

Good luck with your new OnePlus X.

I hope your sister-in-law enjoys the BLU Win JR LTE. That's cool you provided it with a new home.
ha ha thanks buddy the OPX isnt new i have had it for around 6 months its my daily use phone the BLU was just a spare phone and i wasnt using it so i thought giving it to her would put it to good use and shes happy with the new phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs