Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
My smartphone journey started with Windows Mobile 5 & 6.1 Samsung Blackjack & HTC Touch Pro 2, then went Android for several years on Nexus devices nexus One and Nexus 4. Came back to Windows phone 8.1 last year with a Lumia 640 LTE due to all the fragmentation in Android (Devices don't get the necessary security updates, look at the mess that stagefright has become no devices seem to be receiving the updates that fix it not even nexus devices), I'm not saying Windows Phone is better just that with 1% of the market you have a certain security through obscurity. I keep seeing full blown ransomeware on iOS (even devices fully up to date) and Android devices that cannot be update to whatever is deemed safe. The only Android vendor who supports their hardware for more than 1.5 years is Sony (Samsung supports flagship devices only for 2 years all other devices you are lucky to get 6 months). The other thing is the cost of a decent phone, the cheaper Android ones (under $200) generally have no support and don't get any OS updates. And Apple's thing seems to be not supporting iOS hardware more than 2 years old with new software. once again Microsoft isn't any better there but there are many under $100 devices, and if a $100 phone can last you over a year what is not to like?

Valid points, but some of them aren't correct. Last I checked, you can install iOS 9.3 (I think?) on the 4s.

ramyZgHR

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi again. Been coming back reading this thread for a few days now. Posted why I'm leaving WP a few pages back. Just wanted to fill in some thoughts; When the Lumia 920 was released here (Sweden) I directly bought one. Although it was hard to find a store that had those in stock. There were no advertising or commercials about this flagship cellphone. In fact all WindowsPhones were situated in the far, dark corner of every shop or retailer I visited. The knowledge from salesmen wasn't better....."Say what?? You want a WP?? Lets see where we keep them and IF we have any of them in stock....." and it wasn't better when you asked them to startup the phone and/or promote the WP for you to buy it. Almost everybody knew nada. Well, so far I've had this Lumia 920, Lumia 735 and now a 650. All of them I've been forced to know everything I want/need by browsing the web, including if they were available in Sweden. The situation is exactly the same today....no wonder nobody is seen with a WP among friends/colleagues or in public. As I feel it , it's like MS don't give a sxxt about this business or their customers. Yes, they release a few new models now and then but it dont feel like a solid interest in this from MS. I really, really like the OS but I'm leaving because of what I written above and because of the app gap. How are Lumias or WP's marketed and advertised where YOU live? Very curious....

I live in Croatia and there is no advertising of MS products at all here! Not talking just about phones, no advertising at all!
I understand that we're small market here, but still... If BMW can, I don't see the reason MS could not.
Still, there is decent offerings of MS phones via carriers. My first phone was HTC 8x, then L925, 930, 735, all bought at my carrier for reasonable prices.
About month ago I finally decided to quit the game and bought Z3c.
I'm sorry to leave, but got sick of "soon" and "app name" decided to leave the platform. MS ruined their mobile division by not doing anything. Bad menagement, I guess.
I hope that I'm wrong and that things will become better, but wouldn't hold my breath on that.
If something change in their approach on great platform I'll be back. :)

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
So at what point do you say "It's DEAD"? Seems like it's pretty clear it's dead to me.
Its NOT dead.

Its only just starting. And you really need to understand and be clear what your talking actually about.

Sure, if your talking about old Windows Phone 8.1 or Lumia as a market share then yes, its declining, dead even. But your looking backwards to the past. I understand your frustration with Microsoft, but this time really is different.

In 2016 were now talking about Windows 10. TEN!!!!! The Mobile version of the desktop that is now on over 300M+ desktops - that's 300,000,000+ in just two years. Windows 10 is HUGE - a smash hit.

How much have a percentage do you think Android Marshmallow is on? Less than 10%? You do also realise that iPhone sales and iPad sales are in decline according to Apple's own last two quarters. That's why looking back at what's currently popular is pointless.

There is no risk of Windows Mobile being killed off because its 99% of the desktop version anyway. With Universal Apps we are not waiting for developers to make phone only Apps. They will target the desktop users 300 HUNDRED MILLION SO FAR and make them universal to include phones. It's a win-win.

But I understand that for those of us here its been a long wait with little to show for. I've been angry too. But Microsoft are finally at the right place. By the time Surface Phone launches Windows 10 will have almost 500M installs. Even Snapchat would not be able to ignore that number.

Unfortunately for those of use who started on Windows Phone 7, 8 and Lumia's etc we've all been test mice. So yes, be angry but that doesn't mean that Windows 10 Mobile is dead. Its brand new with Microsoft's $100 Billion war chest behind it. Windows 10 Mobile is here to stay in the next mobile OS wars for sure.

anon(9573638)

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
So... back on OT (I thought this was meant to be a thread about leaving WP/W10M and the like as opposed to playing with your new L640 i.e. the posts above) - according to The Verge, Microsoft's mobile marketshare has now dipped to under 1%. That's REALLY really bad.

Apologists will make their comebacks with "oh but they're just chilling until next year". Yeah sorry, imagine if Apple or Google said that?

So at what point do you say "It's DEAD"? Seems like it's pretty clear it's dead to me.

That <1% is sales. Marketshare is 2.4-ish%.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Windows Phone Is Basically Dead, Gartner Says | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

I think they shouldn't have released a phone with a Alpha O/s for $900 bit cheeky! Apple/ Android would never do that.......plus the no Apps!! most ppl I know have jumped ship now anyhow. Smartest thing to do now is let Android run on all the lumias hehhehe. If you buy a phone you want it to run work not be buggy for a whole year!!! OR MORE

From what I see of this, Blackberry is the one that is truly dead. Windows phone is on it's way there...but to be fair, there has been a huge gap in releases, and general availability. Hopefully it will just appear to be that way for now.

As for me, I'm back in the wings of watching from afar.

Jordan Griesshaber

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I miss my Lumia 1020, I miss the fantastic WM8.1 OS (not joking) and wonderful Cortana. But lack of Apps finally made me buy a Nexus 6. Android 6.0.1 is not perfect, but with WM10 dead and the industry has clearly moved on, everyone clinging to WM10 are just deniers...its sad. If microsoft had gotten the iOS app converter going like 2 years ago, I would have held on...

TommyDeca

May 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm switching platforms, but actually from iOS to Windows 10 Mobile. Guess I just wanted to try something new, and ordered a new Lumia 950 on Friday on a specal offer that includes a Lumia 650 for free. I know you have had a 950XL / 950 offer in the US, but the 950/650 is the best offer I have seen here in Norway.

I will get it delivered later today, cant wait to do the switch :)

Mindi B

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Here's the full memo "released" today for your psychoanalytical pleasure:

Team,

Last week we announced the sale of our feature phone business. Today I want to share that we are taking the additional step of streamlining our smartphone hardware business, and we anticipate this will impact up to 1,850 jobs worldwide, up to 1,350 of which are in Finland. These changes are incredibly difficult because of the impact on good people who have contributed greatly to Microsoft. Speaking on behalf of Satya and the entire Senior Leadership Team, we are committed to help each individual impacted with our support, resources, and respect.

For context, Windows 10 recently crossed 300 million monthly active devices, our Surface and Xbox customer satisfaction is at record levels, and HoloLens enthusiasts are developing incredible new experiences. Yet our phone success has been limited to companies valuing our commitment to security, manageability, and Continuum, and with consumers who value the same. Thus, we need to be more focused in our phone hardware efforts.

With this focus, our Windows strategy remains unchanged:

1. Universal apps. We have built an amazing platform, with a rich innovation roadmap ahead. Expanding the devices we reach and the capabilities for developers is our top priority.

2. We always take care of our customers, Windows phones are no exception. We will continue to update and support our current Lumia and OEM partner phones, and develop great new devices.

3. We remain steadfast in our pursuit of innovation across our Windows devices and our services to create new and delightful experiences. Our best work for customers comes from our device, platform, and service combination.

At the same time, our company will be pragmatic and embrace other mobile platforms with our productivity services, device management services, and development tools -- regardless of a person's phone choice, we want everyone to be able to experience what Microsoft has to offer them.

With that all said... I used the words "be more focused" above. This in fact describes what we are doing (we're scaling back, but we're not out!), but at the same time I don't love it because it lacks the emotional impact of this decision. When I look back on our journey in mobility, we've done hard work and had great ideas, but have not always had the alignment needed across the company to make an impact. At the same time, Ars Technica recently published a long story documenting our journey to create the universal platform for our developers. The story shows the real challenges we faced, and the grit required to get it done. The story closes with this:

"And as long as it has taken the company, Microsoft has still arguably achieved something that its competitors have not... It took more than two decades to get there, but Microsoft still somehow got there first."

For me, that's what focus can deliver for us, and now we get to build on that foundation to build amazing products.

Terry

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Here's the full memo "released" today for your psychoanalytical pleasure:

Team,

Last week we announced the sale of our feature phone business. Today I want to share that we are taking the additional step of streamlining our smartphone hardware business, and we anticipate this will impact up to 1,850 jobs worldwide, up to 1,350 of which are in Finland. These changes are incredibly difficult because of the impact on good people who have contributed greatly to Microsoft. Speaking on behalf of Satya and the entire Senior Leadership Team, we are committed to help each individual impacted with our support, resources, and respect.

For context, Windows 10 recently crossed 300 million monthly active devices, our Surface and Xbox customer satisfaction is at record levels, and HoloLens enthusiasts are developing incredible new experiences. Yet our phone success has been limited to companies valuing our commitment to security, manageability, and Continuum, and with consumers who value the same. Thus, we need to be more focused in our phone hardware efforts.

With this focus, our Windows strategy remains unchanged:

1. Universal apps. We have built an amazing platform, with a rich innovation roadmap ahead. Expanding the devices we reach and the capabilities for developers is our top priority.

2. We always take care of our customers, Windows phones are no exception. We will continue to update and support our current Lumia and OEM partner phones, and develop great new devices.

3. We remain steadfast in our pursuit of innovation across our Windows devices and our services to create new and delightful experiences. Our best work for customers comes from our device, platform, and service combination.

At the same time, our company will be pragmatic and embrace other mobile platforms with our productivity services, device management services, and development tools -- regardless of a person's phone choice, we want everyone to be able to experience what Microsoft has to offer them.

With that all said... I used the words "be more focused" above. This in fact describes what we are doing (we're scaling back, but we're not out!), but at the same time I don't love it because it lacks the emotional impact of this decision. When I look back on our journey in mobility, we've done hard work and had great ideas, but have not always had the alignment needed across the company to make an impact. At the same time, Ars Technica recently published a long story documenting our journey to create the universal platform for our developers. The story shows the real challenges we faced, and the grit required to get it done. The story closes with this:

"And as long as it has taken the company, Microsoft has still arguably achieved something that its competitors have not... It took more than two decades to get there, but Microsoft still somehow got there first."

For me, that's what focus can deliver for us, and now we get to build on that foundation to build amazing products.

Terry

Indeed.... The next thing we know is that Terry quits too. LOL!

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone Is Basically Dead, Gartner Says | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

I think they shouldn't have released a phone with a Alpha O/s for $900 bit cheeky! Apple/ Android would never do that.......plus the no Apps!! most ppl I know have jumped ship now anyhow. Smartest thing to do now is let Android run on all the lumias hehhehe. If you buy a phone you want it to run work not be buggy for a whole year!!! OR MORE

Fans will disagree (not me). They will tell you that they can survive without much apps, not using Facebook, Snapchat, UWP is the way to go, blah blah blah...... How I wish to see their faces when Microsoft throws in the towel for windows phone one fine day.

Zimmermann

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Re: W10M Official Release Build 10586.318 Issues

Just for fun I came back on this forum today. I ditched my Lumia 930 and bought myself an iPhone 6s. God how happy I am. It works, has no battery issues, movies work, apps work, no sudden reboots... You know what, the only reason I miss my Lumia is that it is somewhat boring. Nothing ever goes wrong...

infosage

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Satya Nadella was named Microsoft CEO February 2014. What was the Microsoft Mobile world like before he started? Well here's an article to remind everyone from January 2014: Kantar data shows Windows Phone holding 10% sale share in EU5

Basically, Nadella has crushed Microsoft Mobile with bad strategic and tactical decisions. He thought he could drop Windows Mobile OS and devices, but deliver services on Android and iOS that people would use. He was completely and utterly wrong. People are strongly biased to use the services native to OS.

Nadella's complete failure on "Mobile First":
Microsoft?s Office Being Dominated by Google Productivity Apps on Mobile? - WinBuzzer

So not only did Nadella kill Microsoft Mobile OS and devices, his strategy is killing Microsoft in Mobile services too.

PC's continue to be on the decline, while the area Nadella abandoned (phones) are on still on the rise. Phones are the consumer IT of the present and future. Running to the Enterprise will only protect him until the new Android/Google users become decision makers in companies. Once that generation is in control of the enterprise decisions, Microsoft will be done.

In other words, if leaders of a company use Android phones, Chrome, Gmail, Google, etc. for their personal devices, they will be strongly biased to chose Google services and products (stuff they are comfortable with) for the Enterprises they run. IBM already learned this lesson decision makers chose Microsoft products (stuff they used at home), but Microsoft (and specifically Nadella) didn't learn from IBM's painful decline from relevance.

Look, everyone loved Nadella when he started, but every new CEO gets a honeymoon period, and that takes the stocks to unreasonable heights based on speculation of future greatness. Remember when Mayer took over at Yahoo? However, it is clear to see that Nadella has already made too many mistakes. The stock is starting to slide, Nadella abandoned Mobile, while PC's decline. How long before Google fans become enterprise decision makers, and Microsoft fails in Cloud and Enterprise too? It will take 5-10 years for Microsoft to recover from his 2 year term, and that would be if they fired him today.

fares bouhafs

May 25, 2016
Visit site
i think if u r an app lover so u should try to pick an android device(not all of as can buy an iphone:) but if u like me just want basic apps windows phone is a great choice.

Lloyd_S

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I've been on Windows Phone since the WP7 days and really love the platform, but I have also had a second device running Android (HTC M8) for the past two years as well. Windows 10 Mobile is probably the best OS I've used over the years and I love it....but.....

Lately my Lumia 950 is becoming unreliable. I was using Fast Ring for awhile but reinstalled the OS to get to production as after about 2 weeks of use I would have issues. I am currently running 10586.318, for the third time. Wait, did I say third time? Yep! I have had to reinstall the OS twice using the Device Recovery Tool because after 2 or so weeks of normal use the device starts acting up again.

Usually apps start crashing for no reason. Data signals drop or disappear for no reason in high-signal areas. Bluetooth connections to automobile or headsets take longer to connect even after being paired for some time, or even don't connect at all. The device locks up/freezes and soft-resets or battery removal is needed to get the device running. GPS signals don't connect. eBooks in Audible skip. Multiple restarts are needed during the day to "reset" everything and 50% of the time my SD Card isn't recognized on the restart and I need to wait for the phone to scan it to load my apps. Outlook email sync to Exchange doesn't always happen to the set sync schedule. Cortana is dead....period. Useless. Quiet hours work sometimes and to get them to return I have to change the times. And the list goes on...

Sad things is all this is corrected when I reinstall the OS, but I don't want to keep reinstalling every 2 or 3 weeks. A person shouldn't have to do this, ever. Because of this I am thinking of using Android full time and getting the S7 Edge.

I love W10M, I really do, but I don't like an unreliable experience. I love the L950 and especially it's camera, but I don't love not knowing if the phone will work or if I'll get my email. I am absolutely in love with the W10M email app and how email looks exactly as it does on my PC....but again that love can only go so far when emails aren't coming in. And the app gap does bother me some as I have to tether my Android phone to my L950 to do online banking, expense reports, or use it at home to control TV, stereo, and cable box. The only device my L950 will connect to is my Xbox One, but guess what, Android does that too....

You make it tough to love you W10M and even harder to not stray.... I want to love you, but I want to be loved back.

Last edited:

Ricardo Gonzalez5

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't know about manufacturing hardware just look the evidenced with "nokia", which does very well is software, Windows 10 and universal platform is a Hit, today is difficult to understand but when everything is more connected, to have just one platform for to do all things, like work or school or fun, will be WIN for Microsoft that envisioned this strategy. Windows 10 Phone needs to adapt its operating system at least one cell of each representative brand, for example if samsung do a new S8 need to come out in Android version and Windows version at the same time and also with a lo t other different brands, is the only way for win more market (windows phone) also Microsoft need to focus on making a single unique phone by brand Microsoft and need to be, the most beautiful, the fastest, the most innovative cell phone (Surface phone with intel core M), if not only continue to make software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo