Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: W10M Official Release Build 10586.318 Issues

I ditched my Lumia 930 and bought myself an iPhone 6s. God how happy I am. It works, has no battery issues, movies work, apps work, no sudden reboots... You know what, the only reason I miss my Lumia is that it is somewhat boring. Nothing ever goes wrong...
This is my issue. I like that things work the way they should almost all of the time, but it's also boring. I was very disappointed that Cortana on W10M crashes on song discovery. That was one of my favorite things about her in 8.1.

eddydu

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I had a 1520 for a while and switched to a note 4. Apps even the microsoft ones run better on android, and windows phone 10 is still kinda a mess in my opinion, but it needs to have more of the apps android and IOS have

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I have Lumia 822s that are over 3 years old. Not gonna waste money on new Lumias and just not ready to switch. We're hoping these will hold on until the Surface Phone comes out. Come next spring, we're either going to have Surface Phones or iPhones.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I have Lumia 822s that are over 3 years old. Not gonna waste money on new Lumias and just not ready to switch. We're hoping these will hold on until the Surface Phone comes out. Come next spring, we're either going to have Surface Phones or iPhones.

Our family has two 822. They are great phones and meet our needs and more.
I was liking your comment, up until the zinger at the very end. There may be other choices.
Best wishes.

Last edited:

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Our family has two 822. They are great phones and meet our needs and more.
I was liking your comment, up until the zinger at the very end. There may be other choices.
Best wishes.
We used to have Android phones (Samsung Fascinates), until Google decided to screw Microsoft's customers by breaking Exchange ActiveSync. We turned our back on them, and I'd never go back to Android unless I could do it without any Google services. Like a Cyanogen/Microsoft phone with access to apps outside of Google Play. I'd hop on that.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
We used to have Android phones (Samsung Fascinates), until Google decided to screw Microsoft's customers by breaking Exchange ActiveSync. We turned our back on them, and I'd never go back to Android unless I could do it without any Google services. Like a Cyanogen/Microsoft phone with access to apps outside of Google Play. I'd hop on that.

Well, if you are not a fan of Google services, it doesn't even matter to you if Google broke ActiveSync or not, right? Since you are not a fan of Android, just stay with windows phone and MS services will do fine. On the other hand, I get to enjoy MS services along with Google services on both Android as well as on iOS. I'm not sure about you, but I will rather turn my back on windows phone than suffering on this dying platform just because Google broke Exchange ActiveSync. To me, all that matters is for the platform to serve me well, I don't care whether it is Apple, Google or Microsoft.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Well, if you are not a fan of Google services, it doesn't even matter to you if Google broke ActiveSync or not, right? Since you are not a fan of Android, just stay with windows phone and MS services will do fine. On the other hand, I get to enjoy MS services along with Google services on both Android as well as on iOS. I'm not sure about you, but I will rather turn my back on windows phone than suffering on this dying platform just because Google broke Exchange ActiveSync. To me, all that matters is for the platform to serve me well, I don't care whether it is Apple, Google or Microsoft.

Re: "Chmun77":
Respectfully, I think you should re-read the many many past / previous post comments. You may have misunderstood / confused "Talldog" and other comments.

Or not? Just saying, people make choices for their own reasons.

Best Wishes, it's all good.

Last edited:

Mindi B

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Indeed.... The next thing we know is that Terry quits too. LOL!

He'll be back in 2017 as a "rebooted version" lol

I miss my Lumia 1020, I miss the fantastic WM8.1 OS (not joking) and wonderful Cortana. But lack of Apps finally made me buy a Nexus 6. Android 6.0.1 is not perfect, but with WM10 dead and the industry has clearly moved on, everyone clinging to WM10 are just deniers...its sad. If microsoft had gotten the iOS app converter going like 2 years ago, I would have held on...

I used to practically gasp everytime I pulled my Lumia 1520 to use it. Half the time I'd be distracted by the phone and the OS versus actually USING it lol. I miss those days :(

Honestly you're better off moving on. The Surface phone will suffer from the same issues that Windows mobile's ecosystem currently does, which is, THERE IS NO ECOSYSTEM. Furthermore, the OS will still be unstable. let's be honest, this is MS here, the OS isn't going to be stable in a years time.

Choose Android or iOS, and enjoy spending money on something which works.

Its NOT dead.

Its only just starting. And you really need to understand and be clear what your talking actually about.

Blah blah, garbage garbage ....

You realise you've replied with a typical ****** rant that does nothing than try to psychoanalyse a grain of sand on a beach? That almost put me to sleep like one of the 8-part essays entitled "Why Windows Phone isn't dead".

I don't like pulling this card, but I've been working in telcommunications engineering for 15 years now - YOU need to take a good hard look at what's going on in the mobile technology sphere OUTSIDE of Microsoft. THAT is where the market is thriving, THAT is where the demand is, and THAT is where the technologies are being utilised in every day life.

Your post is a razor sharp mirror image of MS's own approach to mobile which has landed them in the very situation they're in.

Last edited:

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Well, if you are not a fan of Google services, it doesn't even matter to you if Google broke ActiveSync or not, right?
Actually, it did. We were Gmail and Android users when we switched from iPad the original Surface Pro and discovered that we were hosed because Google decided to put its feud with MS ahead of the needs of its customers. We ended up moving from Gmail to Outlook and from Android to Windows Phone. If we have to switch again, it will be to IOS.

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Honestly you're better off moving on. The Surface phone will suffer from the same issues that Windows mobile's ecosystem currently does, which is, THERE IS NO ECOSYSTEM. Furthermore, the OS will still be unstable. let's be honest, this is MS here, the OS isn't going to be stable in a years time.

Choose Android or iOS, and enjoy spending money on something which works.
You may be right, but we're in no rush. We're big fans of Surface (having gone from Surface Pro to SP3 to Surface Book) and by the time the Surface Phone comes out, we should have a pretty good idea of where universal apps are going.

Pratham Sarwate

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Long time Windows and Lumia supporter here.
Currently on my 5th Lumia phone (710->520->925->730->640).
Got a lot of people (at least 15) to buy a Lumia too, only 2 of which remain.

With a rather sad heart, I ordered my Moto G Plus today. It'll arrive tomorrow.
Things have changed a lot since I joined the Windows community back in 2012.
It not just the apps (which are a big cause, still). It's also the general state of the platform and how Microsoft is switching it's focus.
I wish them all the best in their endeavours in the enterprise sector.
But, I clearly see no presence of Windows 10 Mobile in the consumer space anywhere in the near future. Microsoft is making no phones. OEMs are not picking up the baton either.

Besides, regardless of how much I've loved Windows (Phone, mostly), I have to admit that the competitors have taken the clear lead. There's no future now.
And even though the Live Tiles are probably the best home interface there is, the rest of the OS requires a lot of work to use. It is not stable either.

My main reason for finally switching is that I want to focus on working now. I want a for that works for me, not one that needs me to make it work.
It was a hard call, but I had to take it.

Android is really smooth since Marshmallow came out. The app support for it isn't going anywhere. It feels like a safer place to be.

I'll still be watching the Windows space, although with much lesser enthusiasm than I did before. Maybe I'll be back some day.

Cheers! :)

Mindi B

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
You may be right, but we're in no rush. We're big fans of Surface (having gone from Surface Pro to SP3 to Surface Book) and by the time the Surface Phone comes out, we should have a pretty good idea of where universal apps are going.

I think I speak for many here when I say: "let's hope it's somewhere".

MS have an excellent vision for mobile. But we need to see them put it into action. Sadly, it doesn't appear like that's ever going to happen. People only have a certain amount of patience, and as market stats clearly show, that time has come and gone...

EDIT / slight tangent: I was going to grab a SP4, but for the price I found a better bang for buck in a Dell XPS 13. Windows 10 on this thing is an absolute DREAM.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Trying out the Sony Xperia Z3 and it is awesome how you can set Cortana as default for home search.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
OK, I did it, my LG5 will be here in a few days. It was one of the hardest tech decisions I have ever made, I love Windows 10 on my PC, but 10 mobile is a mess, some of is great but in general it is a mess. When the actual phone feature does not work right they have a problem. From Lackluster phones to the buggy software, with lots of promises of something better on the way, well Microsoft is good at promises, from unlimited storage on Onedrive to all older Windows phones will be upgraded to Windows 10 and now they are not even going to build Lumias anymore. But they hint at a Surface phone and I'm sure it will have a Surface price tag. I'm going to miss it, but the Lifeboats are launching and I'm getting on one.

xxpatrioticxx

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Jumped ship today

Unfortunately, today was both a day of improvement and loss for me.

My switch to the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge today was not started by the layoffs, the cuts, the lack of support, etc., but rather my Lumia 1520 having some serious battery issues with Win10 Mobile. However, when weighing my options, I found myself having one that I felt was needed at this point in time.

I've only owned two smartphones in my life, both of them being Windows Phone. I've always loved the community, compassion, and enthusiasm behind it, but I simply don't know if it's there anymore. I love Windows Phone and always will. I've had a lot of memories with it that I won't forget. I don't blame Microsoft or anyone else specifically for my switch, but I knew it had to be done at some point sooner or later.

f63442d4c3b917e7e87cfdadafff7ce1.gif

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Jumped ship today

You aren't left with much of a choice. Microsoft says they are putting phones on standby until 2017 so what do you do in the meantime? I don't expect MS thinks we'll all be Hachiko and wait until them to return. If they have a product we want, we'll buy then.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Actually, it did. We were Gmail and Android users when we switched from iPad the original Surface Pro and discovered that we were hosed because Google decided to put its feud with MS ahead of the needs of its customers. We ended up moving from Gmail to Outlook and from Android to Windows Phone. If we have to switch again, it will be to IOS.

Now this really puzzled me. Since you were GMail and Android to begin with, why switched over to Outlook and Windows phone? When you switched out of a platform and its services, I'm not sure if it is logical to expect the same kind of service levels from a rival platform. I may have misunderstood what you meant, but not every company will play nice like Microsoft who even make apps on other platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre