Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: "Chmun77":
Respectfully, I think you should re-read the many many past / previous post comments. You may have misunderstood / confused "Talldog" and other comments.

Or not? Just saying, people make choices for their own reasons.

Best Wishes, it's all good.

I don't think I have misunderstood Talldog comments. Please refer to his above replies. Peace.

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Now this really puzzled me. Since you were GMail and Android to begin with, why switched over to Outlook and Windows phone? When you switched out of a platform and its services, I'm not sure if it is logical to expect the same kind of service levels from a rival platform. I may have misunderstood what you meant, but not every company will play nice like Microsoft who even make apps on other platforms.
This isn't a case of not having "the same kind of service levels". Google deliberately shut down an existing service so that MS customers could no longer dynamically sync their Gmail accounts with Windows devices such as Windows Phone and Surface Pro. In hindsight, it seems obvious that the point was to force people to choose between Gmail and Windows Phone. The strategy clearly worked, but they screwed over a lot of people, including me. Not the kind of behavior you'd expect from a company that likes to pretend that they're morally superior (aka "don't be evil").

Here's some history from the Windows Central archives: Google drops Exchange ActiveSync. What does it mean for Windows Phone? [Updated] | Windows Central

Azza156

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Things here in australia are a bit different but still declining (we had 10% here, now 5%). but the 1 key difference we have, telstra our largest carrier is now run by Stephen Elop (you know the former ceo of nokia/microsoft oy) so he puts the 950 front and centre with the iphone and sumsungs. https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones?ti=TR:TR:feb16:personalicon:mobileslanding:link

I dunno if this will save winmo10 here in oz but i'm planing on moving onto a iphone se next week mainly for work since its smaller. but i'll keep my 950 to see how things are progressing over the next year.

leops1984

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
My first smartphone was a Lumia 800, and my second was a Lumia 920. I really wish the third could have been a 950 XL, but... I couldn't make that jump.

I love Live Tiles as a design concept - it's really what brought me to Windows Phone in the first place. WP8.1 was a truly exquisite piece of design and usability.

However... there's just so much uncertainty surrounding the platform. I buy my phones upfront and unlocked, and I try to keep my devices for as long as I can. Maybe UWP will turn out to be something great, but right now... it's not there. I need something for the now, and much as I find the Android UI lacking, it's really the only way I can be sure of getting a reasonably well-supported platform for the next 2-3 years. Windows 10 Mobile right now is simply too much of a work in progress for me to bet on.

On the hardware side, I also loved the Nokia DNA. The 920 still feels special in a way that other devices of its era simply don't today. But that DNA is unfortunately dead, and with it went that special flavor that the Lumias had, vibrant colors and all. It's a pity.

I wish Microsoft well, and I'll keep using their online services on my HTC 10. (I do wish Cortana was available in my country, though.) Maybe I can return to whatever the Microsoft mobile platform is a few years from now, but until then... it'll be Android and HTC for me.

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
My first smartphone was a Lumia 800, and my second was a Lumia 920. I really wish the third could have been a 950 XL, but... I couldn't make that jump.

I love Live Tiles as a design concept - it's really what brought me to Windows Phone in the first place. WP8.1 was a truly exquisite piece of design and usability.

However... there's just so much uncertainty surrounding the platform. I buy my phones upfront and unlocked, and I try to keep my devices for as long as I can. Maybe UWP will turn out to be something great, but right now... it's not there. I need something for the now, and much as I find the Android UI lacking, it's really the only way I can be sure of getting a reasonably well-supported platform for the next 2-3 years. Windows 10 Mobile right now is simply too much of a work in progress for me to bet on.

On the hardware side, I also loved the Nokia DNA. The 920 still feels special in a way that other devices of its era simply don't today. But that DNA is unfortunately dead, and with it went that special flavor that the Lumias had, vibrant colors and all. It's a pity.

I wish Microsoft well, and I'll keep using their online services on my HTC 10. (I do wish Cortana was available in my country, though.) Maybe I can return to whatever the Microsoft mobile platform is a few years from now, but until then... it'll be Android and HTC for me.

While I respect your opinion, I don't see OS support a concern at all. Yes there is uncertainty with Microsoft's mobile hardware, but for software and OS there is zero risk. Windows 10 has been a huge hit (300M+ installs) and the mobile version (worth Universal App support) is already done as far as development.

Also HP would not be launching their enterprise Elite X3 if there was any risk that Windows mobile support could be cancelled. They are the largest Windows Enterprise partner with multi-billion clients and so powerful they are the sole reason we are getting a finger print scanner.

I would say there is actually more risks of HTC not being able to support future Android updates. That is a company that truly is in problems financially (although I hope their Vive VR handset can save them). So I appreciate your reasoning but I disagree with your HTC examples but hope you enjoy your handset.

Attic Muse

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
But they hint at a Surface phone and I'm sure it will have a Surface price tag.

I think this is a point that a lot of people don't seem to consider, either because they just didn't think of it or they're being wilfully blind and wishful. Reminds me of when I worked at Best Buy and would have people come in, tell me they wanted a laptop with an i7, 16 GB of RAM, dedicated GPU, touchscreen, 1 TB hard drive, etc. but for a few hundred dollars and I'd just say, "That doesn't exist." Top specs are also going to mean top prices.

On the topic, as someone else mentioned, I just don't feel confident enough in the platform to "invest" by buying another Windows phone right now. I like Microsoft, I like what they're trying to do and I think they have a good shot at getting there. But it's going to take time and a bit of luck, and so I'll keep an eye on the platform but I'm probably jumping to the Nexus 6P at the first sale I find.

melhiore

May 5, 2015
Visit site
Am I the only one here thinking that getting 950XL is a great choice??

I use Nexus 6P, I am using Google services for last few years however my phone usage is very simple: calendar, email, basic browsing and news. I am REALLY thinking of getting 950XL and migrating my stuff away from Google. App gap does not exist for me. Of all Android apps I did not find maybe two that I can live without on Windows Mobile platform. Microsoft already expressed commitment to Windows Mobile so we seem to be safe here. So why not to get 950XL??

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Right, well, I'm off. I'm putting my W10m Lumia 640 in a drawer somewhere. I got a Moto X Play and I'm going back on Android. I sadly don't think I will look back on Windows Mobile, ever. The feeling I get is that MS wants to go back to the Windows Mobile days before the iPhone, and that's ok. I'm throwing in the towel.

I may roam around here once in a while. But I won't be as active.

Cheers!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Right, well, I'm off. I'm putting my W10m Lumia 640 in a drawer somewhere. I got a Moto X Play and I'm going back on Android. I sadly don't think I will look back on Windows Mobile, ever. The feeling I get is that MS wants to go back to the Windows Mobile days before the iPhone, and that's ok. I'm throwing in the towel.

I may roam around here once in a while. But I won't be as active.

Cheers!
How about joining our sister site Android Central? It's a great community, and a lot of folks from Windows Central are also at Android Central.

Dillan K

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I went with Android. It feels a bit like Windows 7 on a phone. It's what Microsoft should have built, if they were on the ball. It's excellent. It's made me a Google fan, not just a user. That, after being a staunch Microsoft supporter for the past 25 years. I still have plenty of Microsoft in my life, and that won't change. I cannot see myself without a Windows based computer, but my phone will always be Android, and my favourite browser is certainly Chrome.

Being on Android doesn't mean you have to leave Microsoft behind, though. Onedrive, Outlook, Word, Excel, MSN Money, MSN Weather, Skype, they're all there on my phone. Microsoft has seen the writing on the wall, and they've been aggressively pumping out excellent Android apps. I have a bit of a split personality. I use many of Google's competing services as well. To be truthful, most of my life now flows through Google's world (by choice), but I maintain a parallel existence in the Microsoft world as well; Android lets me do that. That is possibly Android's greatest advantage: freedom. Google never tells you that you have to use their services (except, maybe to activate your phone!). You can decide what you want. There is a lot of choice too!

Google's world integrates very easily with Microsoft. On the desktop, you can use Google's apps through Chrome--most of them through any browser. If you don't want to use Google's apps, Microsoft's apps integrate very well into Android. It's a great fit, no matter how you look at it.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Am I the only one here thinking that getting 950XL is a great choice??

I use Nexus 6P, I am using Google services for last few years however my phone usage is very simple: calendar, email, basic browsing and news. I am REALLY thinking of getting 950XL and migrating my stuff away from Google. App gap does not exist for me. Of all Android apps I did not find maybe two that I can live without on Windows Mobile platform. Microsoft already expressed commitment to Windows Mobile so we seem to be safe here. So why not to get 950XL??
It sounds like the 950xl would work just fine for you. Everyone is different.

My needs aren't too much, but not having the one app that helps you get through the week just feels like punishment, especially if I have the option to actually have it elsewhere.
iOS is solid, but not having some level of customization makes it kind of boring for me. I'm aware that I can jailbreak but I'll rather not. As a result, I'm dabbling in Insider AND Android, until I find something that gives me a happy medium of battery life, and customization.

SirNic

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: Phone Suggestion

Windows phones are trash, won't play most type of videos, not even Windows videos, lack of Apps I had a Samsung Ativ Windows mobile swapped it for an Android Samsung S6 Edge, the latter is in a different league, Windows mobile like their Windows RT tablets, becoming obsolete.:winktongue:

Azza156

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
As a 950 owner myself I'll say it will work fine for you, there are still plenty of apps left but the reason I'm thinking of leaving is I believe these apps over time will be abandoned as winmo10's market share continues to free fall. if you stick with microsofts stuff you should be fine for now, none of us here can 100% say ms will continue to support it for the next few years but who knows. I keep getting flash backs to when I owned a surface 2 (windows rt).

But if you do end up getting one definitely get a continuem dock. Its probably 1 of the best single reasons to invest in a lumia these days.

Even with all the doom and gloom there are some apps be continually updated like for example. whatsapp, facebook, instagram, audible, twitter, messenger & some pretty decent 3rd party choices like mytube, casts (podcasts), foobar2000, proshot & perfect weather universal. the key here to picking safe apps is going only for UWP apps that have a desktop version since there unlikely to be abandoned. anyway hope that helps :).

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm really liking android presently. I have indeed ordered a Sony Z3 to fiddle with. I'm also enjoying that Moto X Pure Edition. Heck even Cortana isn't all that bad on android but in my opinion still works best on Windows at the moment.

I'm thoroughly enjoying all 3 mobile systems. I'm staying away from Win10M for a spell but I still like 8.1 on my Windows devices. :smile:

kesken

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I used windows 10M for a good few months. Enjoyed the improved functionality. It just wasn't as stable as I liked. Not the OS itself, but the apps used on it. Was really looking forward for something to replace my old but still going strong(!) Lumia 920. After hearing that It would not (understood but still disappointed) be supported in public win 10 M releases, I decided to move to android. Reverted my phone to 8.1 recently and wow, 8.1 is the most elegant OS, but the newer hardware and features from Microsoft in my opinion, doesn't add too much for my use. The 920 was such a well rounded phone and I'm a sucker for aesthetics. The htc 10 seems like a logical step up for me and I love an underdog. I'll keep this 920 till it dies and I still use Microsoft services , but Microsoft apps are very good(better?) on android so it shouldn't be too painful. Love this community though. I encouraged so many people to use windows phone and this site to guide them. Android has improved a lot since I last used it and I'm eager to jump in again, but I'll be observing... and waiting... for Microsoft to convince me to return. So I'm gone until 2017 and the Surface phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre