Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Had to drop back in to say that I HATE handling email on my Android phone.

With WP, I had 3 tiles. One for work email. One for several combined personal email accounts. One for my business.

I don't know how to do that with Android... or if it's even possible. Right now I'm using three separate email apps, and they all work a little differently so it's irritating.
This is the app I'm using for email. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kman.AquaMail.UnlockerMarket
I like it because it works well for any type of account, it is very secure since nothing is stored on an external server, and it has extensive customizations including fonts/colors/html signatures.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Can it make three separate icons on the home screen?
I don't think so. It is very similar to Outlook, the desktop client in Office not the app. That's why I like it. I don't use webmail on desktop. I use Outlook.

Another feature it supports is in-line images, not just attachments.

It is also possible to reply in-line if someone say asks several questions. Answers could be directly beneath each question in a different color font.

It has the ability to customize times for light and dark themes and weekend settings, so you don't get bothered by work emails when you're not working.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't think so. It is very similar to Outlook, the desktop client in Office not the app. That's why I like it. I don't use webmail on desktop. I use Outlook.

Another feature it supports is in-line images, not just attachments.

It is also possible to reply in-line if someone say asks several questions. Answers could be directly beneath each question in a different color font.

It has the ability to customize times for light and dark themes and weekend settings, so you don't get bothered by work emails when you're not working.

Unfortunately, I'm one of those people that actually does want to get bothered by work emails when working.

I just want to be able to check it separately quickly instead of having to filter it.

The cool thing about WP was that I had different tiles set up so that if I wanted to check my work email I could do that instantly. Then if I want to check my business, I could do that too. Then my personal.

I'm surprised that this isn't something easily available with Android.

VigneshB

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
A small workaround in Android is if you use the stock Email app, you can create separate widgets for separate email accounts. Though I find Windows Phone/Mobile's implementation much more flexible.

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
A small workaround in Android is if you use the stock Email app, you can create separate widgets for separate email accounts. Though I find Windows Phone/Mobile's implementation much more flexible.

That's what I do on my GS7. I added all of my accounts (Gmail, Outlook, two Yahoos, and work (Exchange) account) to the default email app. Then I just add the widgets for each account to the homescreens. I personally find the widgets more useful than Live Tiles because in the widgets I can scroll through the list of emails, whereas Live Tiles only display the latest one. The downside to the email widgets on the GS7 is that it's impossible to put more than two of the email widgets on a page (possible with a custom launcher maybe), even when I set the grid to 5x5, whereas on my L640, I can see all five email Live Tiles in one shot without swiping up and down.

One of my GS7's homescreen page with email widgets:
redacted.jpg

Last edited:

VigneshB

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
The downside to the email widgets on the GS7 is that it's impossible to put more than two widgets on a page (possible with a custom launcher maybe), even when I set the grid to 5x5, whereas on my L640, I can see all five email Live Tiles in one shot without swiping up and down.
If I remember correctly it was possible to add more than 2 widgets on my S5. Probably they removed that now. On my S3 it was possible to add widgets on the lockscreen, but it was removed in future iterations.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Even though I'm happy with my 1520.3, I'm strongly looking at the upcoming Note 7 Edge. I miss some of the apps available. Also with MS flooding iOS and Android with good versions of their MS Apps, I may be okay. However the HP Elite X3 and Surface Phone make me want to stay. I know they are premium devices, so I accept the premium prices (as with the Note 7 also) that will come along with them as long as they fit my needs and desires.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

That may work.

It looks ugly as sin... but it may work. :grin:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Even though I'm happy with my 1520.3, I'm strongly looking at the upcoming Note 7 Edge. I miss some of the apps available. Also with MS flooding iOS and Android with good versions of their MS Apps, I may be okay. However the HP Elite X3 and Surface Phone make me want to stay. I know they are premium devices, so I accept the premium prices (as with the Note 7 also) that will come along with them as long as they fit my needs and desires.

Is it going to be called the Note 7? I thought that Note was one number behind the others.

Or are they pulling a Windows 10 thing, where they skip a number?

Seymour Butzz

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: Why does MS make things so difficult?

I am back, and it s sucks. Three phones later and going to android for the first time. I just reviewed the 950Hence leaving windows mobile forever.

humanhowever

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi!

I currently own a Lumia 1020. Ordered the beautiful Lumia 950 XL. And it arrived a few days ago. After using it, I decided I was going to send it back and get an android phone. Don't get me wrong, I love Windows, and would have stayed. But as I previously posted, the lack of apps (yes, it does exist) and on android things just work. I work in a hospital and there are many apps I wish I could get on windows but I can't. For example the BNF, or a guide to haematological disorders (and the list is endless).

I ordered a cheap ?40 android phone from a Chinese manufacturer. And I found everything I needed. What was even more ironic, was that my Microsoft band worked flawlessly with the android phone and it never did so with my Lumia 1020. And finally I could add my friends to snapchat. It may seem like a minor thing but I think a phone should not be what one wants but one needs. I want Windows, but need android. If I could do the same on Windows that I could do on Android, I'd come back in a flash.

There are certain things I'll miss too. For instance, live tiles. I love the way the information is just there. It's so convenient. The functionality of outlook. The integration of skype and onedrive. And even certain apps. Like MyTube. I have not yet found a similar app that is as powerful and easy to use as MyTube (I still use it on my laptop). Or Traktr, a series tracking app. Those are 2 apps I use the most and I will sorely miss them.

It's been a great time with you Windows Phone. May we meet again. As for now. Good bye.

finalrelief

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I am also going to be picking up a Note 7 when it comes out... I cannot ignore the features/specs. My Lumia Icon is 2.5 years old now and it's time for an update. If the Surface Phone comes out and it's a must have for me, i'll sell my Note 7 next April. If it's not real or it's not a game changer like i'm hoping then i'll keep the note 7.

I am not abandoning windows phone, I will keep my lumia icon and continue to use it as a w10m test device. I am also receiving an iPhone for work so I will be utilizing all three main OS's... I'll see what I favor. I've used android/iOS before and I keep coming back to Windows Phone but we'll see.

initram5

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I bought S7 edge and keep the 930 as backup. The Android is way better than I expected and instead of love tile i use widgets. Aesthetically different but wouldn't say worse or better.

psyhound

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Well, it looks like I'll be leaving the platform, too. I'm selling my 640 and getting a new phone on Monday as I got a great offer from my carrier.
I'll be renewing the contract almost a year earlier, getting additional 3GB of data for free as long as I'm on their network and they are giving me Huawei P9 Lite dirty cheap. :D

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Well, it looks like I'll be leaving the platform, too. I'm selling my 640 and getting a new phone on Monday as I got a great offer from my carrier.
I'll be renewing the contract almost a year earlier, getting additional 3GB of data for free as long as I'm on their network and they are giving me Huawei P9 Lite dirty cheap. :D

Let us know what you think of the P9 Lite, seems to be a solid phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte