Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Also it's interesting after getting an iPhone,I have so much time just using the phone itself,as opposed to constantly looking for fixes and workarounds and new builds, hoping for a feature that has been around for years on other OS. Damn MS and Lumia really are a joke when you have this perspective.

Seriously! Preach. Sometimes you get tired of workarounds and you just want something that would work. I do miss the Windows Central app but eh, I'm glad that the forums app is there.
It's trippy.

I just got my 5x yesterday...and I now feel the need to amend some of my previous statements about Android. I found it annoying originally that you couldn't go into silent, it has to be vibrate. With round 2, I learned that this is device dependent for sure. Also figured out to stop the double email notifications, so that's out too. As for the battery life, I have tried some tweaks, and we'll see how this goes.

ramyZgHR

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Seriously! Preach. Sometimes you get tired of workarounds and you just want something that would work. I do miss the Windows Central app but eh, I'm glad that the forums app is there.
It's trippy.

I just got my 5x yesterday...and I now feel the need to amend some of my previous statements about Android. I found it annoying originally that you couldn't go into silent, it has to be vibrate. With round 2, I learned that this is device dependent for sure. Also figured out to stop the double email notifications, so that's out too. As for the battery life, I have tried some tweaks, and we'll see how this goes.

Here's link for Windows Central app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wpcentral.app

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

CountStyrofoam

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Re: My WP / Lumia 950 Death Rattle

I am on 10.0.10586.420. Formatted after installation, too. Definitely waiting to see what happens after this new massive update, but, for the first time, I am STRONGLY considering putting it to bed.

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: My WP / Lumia 950 Death Rattle

I would say that the current build of WP10 is a B effort and I can;t accept that anymore. After this Anniversary Update, if it is anything less than a A-Game, I am almost positive that I will leave the platform behind.

It's unfortunate that it has taken MS this long to bring WP10 to the same level of polish as WP8, but I have to say that recent Redstone builds have been surprisingly good (considering that 14295 was a disaster just a couple of months ago). I'm getting better battery life than 10586, seeing fewer loading/resuming screens, and Windows Hello is finally quick enough for daily use.

However all of this does not fix the app gap, which is what keeps most potential customers away from the platform.

I'm worried that if I switch to an iPhone, the compatibility with my PC will be an issue. I know it has Groove and OneDrive, but are there any power-W10 / iPhone users out there? What're your experiences like?

What kind of compatibility are you looking for? Basic file transfer works out-of-the-box with Windows 10 and a ton of MS apps are available on iOS but some things such as Cortana integration are crippled due to iOS limitations.

fx747

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
My 2 cents: planned to get 950XL but just bought Note 4 to wait and see where MS is going with W10M.

As far I feel great relief getting rid of this "Resuming..." feature in W10M/WP81. Hope this will get significantly fixed with latest statements saying that UWP apps can run in background with less limitations.

I like the stylus in my Note 4. Hope to see it in Surface Phone ;-). Of course you can live without it, but it's very handy toy, really useful for some tasks like editing photos etc.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
There is one particular app (for me) that keeps me going back and forth between iOS and Android. The app Slacker Radio. I'm a premium subscriber. Yes it's available for Windows Mobile. However, on Windows Mobile it does not give me the option for audio streaming quality. On both iOS and Android there is the option to stream at 64 KBPS, 128 KBPS, and 320 KBPS. I choose 320 KBPS. Audio quality is outstanding streaming via Bluetooth in my car. I'm in my car a lot and I use this app. When I use my Windows phone(s) there is a profound difference in audio quality and this bugs me now lol.

I'm guessing the default in the Windows Mobile app is 64 KBPS.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
There is one particular app (for me) that keeps me going back and forth between iOS and Android. The app Slacker Radio. I'm a premium subscriber. Yes it's available for Windows Mobile. However, on Windows Mobile it does not give me the option for audio streaming quality. On both iOS and Android there is the option to stream at 64 KBPS, 128 KBPS, and 320 KBPS. I choose 320 KBPS. Audio quality is outstanding streaming via Bluetooth in my car. I'm in my car a lot and I use this app. When I use my Windows phone(s) there is a profound difference in audio quality and this bugs me now lol.

I'm guessing the default in the Windows Mobile app is 64 KBPS.
That sounds like it's enough for a reason to move around, especially since you are paying and you found what else is possible with this app. That's a serious bummer though. I kind of feel similarly about the MLB At Bat app. Even though it works on Windows Mobile, not being able to see the whole notification during a baseball game, bugs me.

Like you, I'm also going back and forth between iOS and Android. I had one guess why (aside from finding tech to be interesting) but I think it goes deeper. I didn't realize how much I care about simplicity and customization until I stopped using a Windows phone as my daily driver. Windows Mobile has/had a way of satisfying both at once. You have the option to use a full screen background and tiles or you can use tiles with accent color, or tiles with an image in them. 3 choices is great. I just thought that is the way it is until I branched out.

iOS offers simplicity, which is great. I do like that, but it comes at the cost of customization aside from a case. Without a case, my SE looks like everyone else who has a SE, just change the color 3 times. Welp.

Android on the other hand, offers customization, which can be overwhelming at times. The other day, I spent 6 hours (broken up into 2 days) customizing my 5x, which I may or may not keep. However, it feels hard to find a way to have it offer simplicity but I still try.

I never thought that it could be so hard to find a balance outside of Windows Mobile. I'm hoping that the Robin will do it for me.

John Christopoulos

May 9, 2014
Visit site
How are Lumias or WP's marketed and advertised where YOU live? Very curious....
What? Windows phone? (at this point the salesman could not choke his smile, ironic one.) Well, let me show you all the new Androids and the iPhone.
WP is difficult to use. No apps.We have them showcased but am not sure why. Nobody buys thrm...
And when I talk about live tiles, integration , lagless use, etc. they say Android is too!!! Location, Greece!

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, I finally left. I flirted with it with a K7 a few months ago but last night I took the plunge on the HTC 10. Why I chose the HTC 10:

• Phone had to be "flagship" level
  • Size. I originally wanted to go with the Nexus 6P, but after having used the Lumia 640 for the past week (instead of my 950XL) I realized I like the smaller form factor better. The 950XL was just too big, and the 6P was even taller (although a little less wide).
  • Android: I wanted as close to stock Android as I could get. I considered the Galaxy S7, I watched my wife use the Samsung UI (TouchWiz, I think?) and I didn't like it at all.
  • A pretty good (doesn't have to be amazing) camera. The reviews of the camera on the HTC 10 are that it's good, not great. I would have preferred it to be a little better, but I think it'll be good enough. The HTC One M8 (had the Windows version) camera scared me a little bit (even with the "ultrapixel" that 4MB camera was awful), but HTC has improved the camera since then. Supposedly the latest firmware update helped a bit, too.
  • I wanted to split the payments on T-Mobile. Since I couldn't sell my 950XL (see the marketplace! :wink:) for as much as I wanted, that became the best way for me to go.

I wish the battery life on the HTC 10 was as good as the battery life is supposed to be on the 6P, but having used a 950XL, battery life obviously isn't a huge concern. :wink:

I still think that Windows mobile has the best UI, but I just got tired of not having the apps. Maybe, someday, if the UWP strategy works and apps come to the MS mobile platform I'll jump back. That said, in my limited, recent experience with Android on the K7 and setting up the HTC 10 last night, Android has improved. I wish I could kill the stupid "Lookout" app that T-Mobile has preinstalled, but I've minimized it's presence on the phone.

Things I like about Android already:
  • The fingerprint reader. Windows Hello worked great for me, even with my glasses on, but the fingerprint reader is still more natural. Plus, I can set up to four fingerprints to use to unlock it. Left thumb, right thumb are set up. I can add my index fingers, too.
  • The ability to set a bluetooth device as a trusted device and not require unlocking when my phone is paired to that device. I noticed you can do that with locations as well, which will be great when I'm at home. Haven't decided if I'll set the office up as a trusted location.
  • The ability to make an SD card a part of the phone internal storage so it sees everything as one big drive. I haven't done this, but I may. Still trying to figure out the pros and cons.
  • Of course, have to say the apps. Specifically:
    • Beyond the Whiteboard for recording my CrossFit workouts.
    • The YouVersion bible app is more full featured in that you can download different versions for offline reading and it includes red letter text.
    • Pocket Casts seems a little more full featured.
    • Waze which actually gets updated.
    • I'm sure there are other apps that I can't think of right now, or that I'll discover that I couldn't get on Windows or are more full featured on Android.
    • On the plus side for Windows mobile:
      • A week ago I would have said Facebook, but the new FB beta app seems pretty good on Windows.
      • I will miss the recent updates to Groove music (the insider version) on Windows mobile. The UI in Android needs work although I thought I remembered reading something that it will be getting updated soon.

I've still got my 640 and I may jump back to it every now and then just to see what's up!

If you read this far, thanks for reading!

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Have you checked out the OnePlus 3? It's kind of tempting for me. Undecided.
I have heard a lot about it and it sounds really nice. It would also be my ideal device, I'm just one of the oddballs that stop at 5.2" for screen sizes. I wish it was smaller. (I know this is amusing because the Robin is 5.2" but that's my limit)

Last edited:

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I have heard a lot about it and it sounds really nice. It would also be my ideal device, I'm just one of the oddballs that stop at 5.2" for screen sizes. I wish it was smaller. (I know this is amusing because the Robin is 5.2" but that's my limit)
I know what you mean. This Xperia Z3 is a 5.2 and it's ideal for me. The Moto X Pure is 5.7 and yes it's very nice but many times I think it's just a wee bit too big for me sometimes. Although I'm curious what the Idol Pro 4 will be like. It's reported to be 5.5 .... I'll see.

J Dubbs

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
After using android for the last 3 weeks I have to admit windows seems a whole lot better now :wink:
Last time I used android was 2.2.2 Froyo, I liked it because it was simple, very stabile, and did everything I needed with no muss or fuss. Android 6.0 couldn't be farther from that. And I thought windows was bad :winktongue:

If there's still windows phones 3-4 years down the road I might come back....if I'm not hooked on iPhones by then lol

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I stopped at my local T-Mobile store today just to see what they had new and saw a couple of Android phones which might be possible future upgrades to my LG K7 only because I am looking for something that's still inexpensive but with a better camera, but noticed they are 5.3 and 5.5 inch respectively.

It seems every time a new phone is released, the screen increases in size with respect to the previous generation. I'm all for a reasonably larger screen but at this rate I soon won't be able to get a phone under a 6 inch screen size! Both my 640 and K7 are 5 inch screens and I like the size but as I posted before this is already becoming an awkward size especially as I tend to carry mine on my belt. I never put phones in my pocket as I just know I'll end up cracking the screen sitting down wrong one day regardless of which pocket I use :eck:

I guess if they start approaching 7 inches I'll just have to use a Satchel instead :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb