Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricardocr

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I am just waiting for my current contract to expire, I've been a faithful user since my omnia II, I really want to love the platform, but after having to soft reset my 830 12 times today I am ready to jump, I may get the S7 edge or the P9, wait a couple years as to see if MS finally put its act together, but hey, I also want a smartwatch that I can actually brag about and the band is just not that, so I may not come back

murtaza_p

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
while i thought i could go i could never leave
Lumia 610>> Lumia 720>> Lumia 1020>> Lumia 1520>> and now Lumia 930
i realized the love hate relationships with these phones and made peace with the fact that i just couldn't use them as my daily driver due to certain missing apps and the windows 10 os just not being production ready . while the Lumia 930 is still with me as my work phone the samsung galaxy s7 Edge is my daily driver.
mind you i still spend half my day on my 930 as i just love the simplicity of Windows 10.

Queen Kong1

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Ive been on Android now 5months, most apps add free, so i pay for them . Have it nice and no lag or anything on lolipop, I tried 10 other day omg my eyes my eyes!!!!!!! Screamed Beta!!!! people got tired of a 1/2 baked product . Now i am waiting for the exciting ALLO app from google that shall be fun. I noticed apps get updated regular on Android also, Windows well..once every 6months.. I was glad to see Facebook though but its still beta also.....:unhappysweat:... I also hate 10 on the computer to be fair..Win 7 for me its just easy and works, how i want my devices to be.

Drazd

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
My story of using WP\WM is long. At 2000s i used some phones with javamobile-apps and i liked it. When iPhone had released - i really don't liked it. It has less functionality, than my old Sony Erricsonn w530i with a lot of apps. When first android phone had released - i don't liked it too.

At 2011 my friend comes from europe with first Windows Phone on HTC HD7 - i used it 5 minutes and really loved it! It was that i really want! That year i bought first WP in Russia - HTC Mozart. I was very love it! Windows Phone 7.5 was awesome!

After i broked it - i bought Lumia 720, it was so cool too with WP 8. After my cellular module die, i decide to bye Lumia 630. It wasnt so good as 720, because it very important for me to have good camera. But i liked it to.

Last summer i broke it... Windows Phone 10 not realesed yet, and i don't wants to bye other cheap windows phone. A lot of my friends told me to buy some Android Phone. So i did that - i bought ASUS ZenFone 450. At frist time i liked that a lot! Good processor (Intel), many games run fast, it was nice for gaming... but, i'm not playing games a lot. I need phone for working. WP was perfect for this, but andoid for me was like hell! It wasn't lot of apps that i need preinstalled to phone, like at WP, i was must to install it manually. A lot of apps with phone are undeleteble. To delete this phone i must to root it, must to do a lot of work, but i don't have time for this! I bought phone, give money for this - and must do some work? I don't like this.

After Lumia 950 released in Russia - I bouhgt it at first day. It pretty nice phone, i like it. Some of functions are copyed from android. Some functions don't released like i want. Continuum have some problems (for example - no sound on TV with 720p resolution), some Microsoft apps don't work at Continuum. My headset does not work on my Lumia 950 (but it works on my old phones, and other headphones works with my phones).

WM10 really most interesting and in the same time most worst version at this time. But as i understood - I'm like only this phone. So I wait for summer update to see how it will be.

This time i have full Microsoft stack (WM10, Surface RT, PC with W10, XBox), but if it will be worst at next updates... I will be move to Apple, i think.

skrzypol

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Hello,
My adventure with WindowsPhone began in 2009. Windows 7 / 7.5 / 8 and now 10 Windows Mobile. Initially I only used the phone company working on W7. Privately I used the HTC OneX. More frequent use of the W7 prompted me to change phone company to newer solution, which was the Lumia 920. Privately used the Xperia Z2. Existing phones running on Adroid not disappointed me - I was pleased with the work on these devices, however, in December 2015 decided to change the Lumia 950 XL. The initial system errors were compensated by the technical parameters of the phone:
- USB 3 C
- Amazing camera
- Removable battery
- Iris scanner
- Efficiency
- Module Continum
- 5.7 "QHD

Unfortunately, the errors corrected in my opinion, quite slowly. The phone continues to heat up very quickly and strongly - particularly when using the browser Edge when reviewing images. Camera (application) can automatically turn off or very long record video. Automatically restarts the phone problems with the dictionary or lack Groove Pass in my region (Poland is a country where W10M May one of the highest rates of sales and use, so I do not know what is the reason for such restrictions ...). Battery life is approximately 6-14 hours - at the time I use:
- Music - Deezer Offline 1.5 hours
- Skype - 3-4 hours
- The remaining time is synchronized in the background Mail, FB, Twitter, LinkedIn
Unfortunately, stopping the development of applications for W10M or further updates by the company is a big problem. I tried to replace the existing applications used on the Android Store Microsoft. I resisted for a long time but .... These are shortcomings that can not be replaced or found alternative. Eg. The application to comics, sleep as android, Deezer for Android works better than W10M (established development version of the new Deezer - but it is a very unfinished).

Plans to move to Note7 / HTC10 / HuwaiMate8-9P / Nexus6p of HTC10 / ASUS ZenFone Delux - suits me Asus ZenFone Delux or Note7 - the others are alternatives. What we are headed:
- Battery life
- The camera
- Diagonal 5.5 "- 5.7"

I am waiting for an update that should occur during the holiday season - if not improve battery life and heat up your phone this change is rather uncertain.

What do you think of my election to Asus?

el5egundo

May 10, 2016
Visit site
No chance. Win 10 mobile is like a relaxing with cherry 🍒 compared to pushy and annoying android os. Don't even think about IPhone and that closed Apple architecture. Use L950 as a main daily businesses and private phone and don't care about Snapchat. All the rest is here, clean and fluid as one android phone will never be.

GMC262

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
"Use L950 as a main daily businesses and private phone and don't care about Snapchat. All the rest is here, clean and fluid as one android phone will never be."

In my real world experience with the S7 series, it holds it's own pretty well against the 950 series-just as seen in the video. Granted, many report that the Snapdragon S7s are a tad less snappy than those with the Exynos chip. I've been using Windows phones since 2010.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcDXf_Y7qUs

JetFixxxer

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I keep reading that the next windows phones are aimed towards business. What does this mean in the app department? Amazon dropping Window Mobile support, my bank, my insurance company all don't support Windows phone, but support Android and iOS. The little hope that I have for my Icon seems to be fading with every passing day. Then being on Verizon it's really not looking good.

realitydroid

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
The Straw That Broke the Camel's Back

Hello all!

I realize that I've not been a very frequent user of these forums since I first started using Windows Phone (starting with my HTC 8XT 2 years ago). That being said I have indeed been very supportive of the Window Phone platform during the past 2 years, until now.

After much time to think about it, today I finally decided to let go of my Lumia 640 and replace it with a cheaper Samsung Galaxy Amp 2 at the cricket store. And I have a few reasons why, which I will get into in just a moment. First, I want to explain that this is not meant to belittle Microsoft, the Windows mobile platform, or anyone who uses the platform. I have every intent for this post to be a constructive way for people to vent and express their likings and dislikings of Windows 10 Mobile.

Now, on to my reasons for leaving the platform (not necessarily the community):

1) I'm really tired of having an outdated Facebook and Messenger app. Every time someone "reacted" to one of my posts, I would get the notification, but wouldn't be able to see the reaction on my phone. On top of that, I was also unable to "react" to other posts. This is on the Windows 10 Mobile app, FYI.

The app was also slow as a dog. Every time I wanted to load something, I'd be sitting there wasting my time for a picture to load. Half the time, the picture wouldn't even load, leaving just a blank post with comments. The other half, the picture would load, and then the app would crash, which leads me onto my next point.

2) Windows 10 Mobile is crash happy. This is the biggest reason why I'm moving on. I realize that the "official" OTA version of Windows 10 isn't available yet on my Lumia 640. AT&T has yet to even make much mention of releasing the update. As such, I went the Windows Insider route, and was able to install a recent "stable" build.

After the installation, all of my apps seemed to work alright. However, a few days into it, I started to notice that all of my apps would crash, and would do so quite frequently.

3) I can no longer find Here Drive in the Windows store. This was my favorite GPS app, as it had turn by turn navigation, and allowed me to download maps (for free) of my entire state for offline use.

While the new Maps app does allow for map downloading and turn by turn navigation, I was always unable to get a route started unless I was connected to the internet via WiFi or LTE. This is infuriating for me as I do sometimes find myself in areas with no cell coverage.

The nice thing about Maps though is that, when it does work, it tells you what side of the street your destination is on.

4) It's been 2 years, and I have yet to see the Windows store improve its app selection. All I see are just third rate apps that try to mimick a certain service, or even act as a third party app for a well known service. For instance, I want to watch YouTube. While, I love MetroTube and MyTube, they sometimes break when Google upgrades things to the YouTube API. Also, my grandfather (on my dad's side), who I hardly see, asked me to add him on SnapChat. Problem is that, there is no official SnapChat app for Windows, nor can I find a third party one.

If Microsoft is willing to fix these issues, and there is a positive improvement in the app selection, I may consider returning to the platform. Until then, Windows 10 Mobile has not been a positive experience for me, and I'm tired of waiting for things to get better.

What about you all? What do you like, or dislike, about Windows?

Pan0s

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
I' ve been using Windows Phone since October 2010 (and Windows Mobile since 2005). I started with the HTC HD 7 and continued with Lumia 920 and then Lumia 930. Today my Windows Phone/Windows Mobile era is over. I' ve ordered the OnePlus 3, which will arrive today. I hope it was the right choice, but there are far to many apps which I need and cannot use with WP. I love(d) the OS and the Insider program, but it' s time to go on. To be honest I'm having mixed feelings. Perhaps I will return to WP when or if the "surface phone" appears some day.

Darron Smith1

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
About a year ago, I wrote a post here explaining why I left iOS and became a Windows Phone owner. It was because of my brother's Lumia 900. I joined the WP ranks in 2012 with a Lumia 920. In the years since, we have been Windows Evangelists...Cheerleaders and remained steadfast fans. Through the app gap, we were comfortable in the knowledge that we didn't need all of the apps the other platforms had; that there were good substitutes to get us though, and that if there wasn't, we didn't need those apps anyway. Kind of like when less attractive people are the ones that say beauty is on the inside, or the people with no money are the ones that say you don't need money to be happy (which can be true, but you get the point).

As the years ticked by, we were hit over and over with disappointing headlines of this company, or that company, dropping support for Windows Phone. For every three that left the platform, there seemed to be one that would jump onboard, which kept the hope alive, albeit barely. Just give it more time, we thought, and everything would be great. The next round of phones will turn things around! I'm a regular listener of Windows Weekly with Leo Laporte, Paul Thurrott and Mary Jo Foley. I've listened each week with excitement and anticipation for whatever was new and exciting in the world of Windows Phone. As market share dropped steadily to 1%; as Mary Jo switched to an Android device, and hearing Paul continue his ever-sarcastic remarks I've always hated (and now know that he was just giving a weekly dose of reality), I knew I had to switch. It's not going to get better anytime soon.

There's so much more I want to say, but I'll get to the point. I never thought I'd say this, but Windows Phone has ultimately been a disappointment. This may be due to Microsoft, the developers, or a combination of both. There are great things about the platform, but ultimately, they are overshadowed by broken promises and unrealized potential. I was faced with either going back to iOS, or trying out Android for the first time.

I chose to go with a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. I. Love. This. Phone! (My brother ended up going with a Nexus 6P). My brother put it best when he said that going from Windows Phone to Android is like going from living in black and white, to living in color. I now have an app for my credit union, my actual job, my bank, my dating app (Don't judge! ;)), among others. Google maps, and turn by turn is the best! "Okay Google" tops Cortana and the quality of the apps that ARE available on Windows Phone (Words With Friends, Ruzzle, Facebook, One Note, Word, WhatsApp, etc...) are FAR superior on my S7! This is pretty much what owners of iOS and Android devices have been saying for years, but I always thought they were just being haters and trolls or something.

Would I ever come back to Windows Phone? I might, but the phone would have to really be something special, and I can't help thinking that by the time WP gets to that point, Android (and probably iOS) will be even MORE far ahead! Anyway, this is my li'l journey...

Gunbust3r

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Gonna ride it out on my Lumia 640, not because I feel good about the OS. It's hard to leave a $30 phone. Anyone want to give me a free Samsung edge 7?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Gonna ride it out on my Lumia 640, not because I feel good about the OS. It's hard to leave a $30 phone. Anyone want to give me a free Samsung edge 7?

Haha. I still have mine. Every now and then, I put my sim in it to try out the new updates. I really like it and I plan to keep it. It's just not going to be a daily driver for me at its current state.

srujanmishra

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: The Straw That Broke the Camel's Back

You can download official Facebook beta and Messenger beta apps by switching the region in your phone to Germany. Enjoy!

anon(5571020)

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
au revoir Windows Phone

Well, its finally happened.

After 16 years on Microsoft's mobile O/S, from Pocket PC 2000 thru, Windows Mobile (all incarnations) and the abomination that was Phone 7, to Phone 8, 8.1 and now 10, I have finally admitted defeat.

Sadly, I've lost faith in MS and Mobile and it just isn't working for me. Windows mobile was ahead of the rest, even if it wasn't polished and did everything and more that any competitors brought to the table, but since Windows Phone, apart from the awesomeness of the UI, it's always been slightly behind and I'm enough of suffering the mess (skype on Windows Phone 7 anyone?) and being an apologist. The reason it doesn't have market share is that its just not good enough to compete. There, I said it.

I'll miss the IU and some apps (6tag especially - it's the best Insta client on any platform imo)

I hope MS gets their act together, I really do. I don't think they will, but I hope they do.

Still have my Win10 Surface Pro 3 of course (and plenty other MS o/s devices) so still hanging around here.

MQU

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
World sluggish os is window 10. animations are all everywhere and you can not turn them off. I wish 😞 someone in Microsoft should notice this .Simple task are really time consuming. Hate this sluggish os now.

GMC262

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
First week back with WP after more than a year on iOS and then Android. iPhone 6 Plus -> iPhone 6S Plus -> Galaxy S7 -> Galaxy S7 Edge

Could not be happier to have WP back in my hands with the 950 XL. It is certainly not the best looking device but its just the overall UI for me. iOS is just plain boring to me and cookie cutter. Android was great at first and without fail, despite various different launchers, apps, keyboards, etc the phone just slows down. Email takes forever to load, the keyboard has a delay to appear, battery life just terrible.

There are some apps I will miss, but for the most part it can all be done in the browser. Just thought I would throw in my two cents and maybe save some people some money if you really love the UI on WP.

Your experience with the S7 series isn't typical. Not just speaking from personal experience but the phones have a nearly 5 star rating on At&T, T-Mobile and Verizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett