Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Adios Windows 10 IP'ers!

your experience isn't the norm nor the exception. I've just read another forum post by someone comparing an android device and windows device and he definitely found the windows phone better, especially in some of the areas where you found the other way around

wizbit

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

They'll be back. My wife has an Android and I'm having to constantly try to fix it. I'm an IT manager and have used them all. I've had people complain about Windows on their phone and wanted Android. A year later, when the contract is due for renewal, wanting to switch back.

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site

Smiggy,
Please report back your experience after some months with this phone. We would like to hear how you have been with your decision after some months.

By the way, you said you think Nougat would be great. Do you think when will your phone get Nougat?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

Bought myself a Sony Experia Z3 Compact (always loved the old sony ericsson walkman phones) to do a comparison of Android 6 and Windows 10.
What I found has really amazed me and also got me stumped too. More a platform comparison before people state the obvious regarding hardware specs. The phone cost me the same as I paid for my 640 as a point of comparison!
You state that it's not a "spec" comparison, but you made a few errors I'd like to point out. The cost of the phone aside, there are VAST differences in the specs. If you got them for the same price, then you bought the 640 new when it first came out (paid too much) and picked up the Sony on a real deal after it has been on the market for a long time. That's the way all phone products work with every brand. They are more expensive when they first come out, and the price drops later.

A more accurate comparison between the platforms would be between a Lumia 930 or 1520 and the Sony Experia Z3. If you aren't matching hardware, you can't accurately compare the platform on how "speedy" it works, as you made those comparisons yourself.

For example, 'Hey Cortana' isn't available for my Lumia 640 but 'Ok Google' is available across the board and boy its good too!
The reason for this is that both Hey Cortana and OK Google BOTH require a chipset that has passive listening capabilities. The Lumia 640 is running on an Snapdragon 400 chipset which does NOT have passive listening. The Sony has the Snapdragon 801, which has it. It is also a beast on processing power, which will leave the 400 in its dust for running apps even with the same memory on the phone. The 1520 has Hey Cortana and uses the Snapdragon 800 chipset. Go figure. You can get one around $200 right now if you look in the right places.

Cortana of late on IP and Production release has been poor, can't understand me, can't dial or text over bluetooth when driving and didn't MicroSoft pioneer the whole digital assistant gimmick anyway?
Yeah, that was irritating for a while for me as well. However, latest Redstone release has fixed those issues and Cortana works better than before. Getting great response now.

Google Chrome is like lightening, Edge on it's own platform is pants! I know its new but seriously, it's like driving out of the garage in a shiny all new Model T Ford!
Yeah, right. This has nothing to do with a Chrome and Edge comparison. It's all about CPU speed you're dealing with here. On exactly the same spec'd devices, Edge will outperform Chrome.

Word and Excel on Android are fantastic, yes I know some will say it's down to fact that 640 only has 1GB RAM and Z3 has 2GB but there are other subtle differences too.
To say they are fantastic on Android and say the difference may be because of the RAM difference? Yeah, you're talking about performance again. It's the CPU speed, not the amount of RAM. Sorry.

The problem here is that you're comparing apples and oranges (OEM references not intended here). And I'm not talking the OS.
1. You want to talk about how one has features another doesn't have (passive listening), but that's not in the OS, it's in the chipset, and you bought a higher end chipset for the Android comparison.
2. You want to talk about how much faster apps are on the Android phone, but again, that's not the OS, it's the chipset.

You're entire logic is flawed. If you want a real comparison, put up a 1520 with the latest 14383 Redstone release, and then come back and talk. Until then, I call BS.

Smiggyy

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site

What the hell did you have for breakfast?
My logic isn't flawed, its based on years of using one platform and comparing the changes I observed?
I notice you've cherry picked all the things you can criticise?
I know that spec is the issue in cases and as for how much I paid for th 640 when it came out may have something to do with the country I live in compared to yours, not that I got ripped off?
If you're such a ****** then please explain my comment on why so many app producers are avoiding producing apps on the W10M platform when windows is so widely used in the business community, in that case?
Something I OBSERVED when frequenting the app store on Android (not mentioned in your critique)?
The FB issue, not mentioned by you, but again, an observation?

Like I said I'm just one person who has acquired, as you state, a higher spec'd phone than the one I was using for windows but I wasn't expecting the 'differences' I experienced. Store layout, amount of available apps, for example major banks that dont have a presence in W10M apps store? Simple GEM breakdown app. Battery drain issue, no mention again but then again why would you, not a point of criticism.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think Windows Mobile days are numbered, if only by the consumer base migrating to the Android/IOS platforms. There aren't enough vendors willing to produce handsets with this OS onboard, again there must be a reason for this and again, like the app store issue, I don't know the reason.
As for the last line of your reply "I call BS" then I think your title of "Retired Senior Ambassador" blatantly wasn't gained in the field of diplomacy.
Are you a Yank by any chance?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

As for the last line of your reply "I call BS" then I think your title of "Retired Senior Ambassador" blatantly wasn't gained in the field of diplomacy.

rhapdog served quite honorably as a Senior Ambassador and has helped literally thousands of users with his guides and advice. He was super active in the SA role and remains always ready to help and very up to date on his knowledge and research.

I don't think his well earned custom title needs to be called into question, sir. I take offence at your statement, though he probably will not. He's a most affable man.

mgd 57

May 18, 2016
Visit site
I have to agree here albeit reluctantly, Windows is on very shaky ground, I've been a fan of both windows and android for many years since the HTC hd2 on Windows 6.5, undoubtedly one of the best or the best handset ever produced, I have the latest HTC on android now along side my favorite Lumia 1520 which I find so hard to put down and as a matter of interest it does acquire admiring looks and the occasional "do you mind me asking what is that phone"from jo public. However, let's look at this sensibly, if this were apple, (I'm no fan) or android, it would come together in no time, yes there may be a few glitches but ironed out in in a few days or hours, before anyone jumps to defend ms, think carefully, there has never been a bad build on android. Yes, this is new but no, really it's not, It's an update of a current system which threorically shouldn't be difficult with the skillset that they have to get it right, or have all the brains left MS? I digress. They have less than 1% of the current mobile market and falling, now we have buy one get one free with their flagship phone. In my local 02 store, in the last 12 months they have sold 5 units, 3 came back with major faults and were not replaced like for like. Poor marketing and products equals demise and termination. Simple. If this were apple, and the only real clever thing about them is their marketing, It's blindingly brilliant for such cheaply produced products, have you ever tried to listen to someone on an iPhone? Pillow case springs to mind. I rest my case, it should primarily be a good phone.
So in summary, those if us who remain and have stuck with this almost painful mess of a system which should and could be brilliant are left wondering what next!! We get on every update.. "we have fixed this that and the other, but what really happens is what we forgot to tell you this that and the other is now broken. One step away from the final anniversary build???? I dread to see what comes out.

Last edited:

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

What the hell did you have for breakfast?
How the hell is that relevant?

I notice you've cherry picked all the things you can criticise?
Maybe because he agreed with your other points and didn't feel it necessitated replying with "I agree" to those points?

I know that spec is the issue in cases and as for how much I paid for th 640 when it came out may have something to do with the country I live in compared to yours, not that I got ripped off?
Well, gsmareana.com lists the 640 in "price group" 4 (190 EUR), whereas the Xperia Z3 Compact is in price group 7 (390 EUR), so there is a huge difference in price even when new. I would say that given that the phones are about 6 months in age difference (based on release dates) that if you paid the same for both, you probably overpaid. Heck, the Lumia $640 is now going for $30 in the U.S. - if you can find one. For the phone you get for that $30, that's a pretty good value.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think Windows Mobile days are numbered, if only by the consumer base migrating to the Android/IOS platforms.
That's hardly going out on a limb - people have been saying it for a long time. Now, MS has said they intend to stay in the game - even if shifting focus - and only time will tell if they truly stay in or completely exit.

Are you a Yank by any chance?
Cute. How is that relevant? Going to over-generalize that Yanks aren't good at diplomacy? Seems to me that you aren't very diplomatic either by generalizing and stereotyping all Yanks. I'd say a lack of diplomacy applies to your opening retort of "What the hell did you have for breakfast?" as well.

Oh, and *I* cherry picked what I responded to simply because I'm a Yank and I can do whatever the hell I want. :grincry:

I think your post might have been a little more well received if you had said something, heck, anything, nice towards Windows mobile. Because it does have it's good points. Instead, it came across as completely one-side and nothing but bashing - even with your disclaimer that you wanted Android to come up lame in comparison.

One more thing: I say all this as someone that has left Windows mobile myself. I hated doing it, too. The *only* thing that is keeping me away from Windows mobile is the lack and quality of apps. I fthe apps come to Windows mobile, I'll be back. The Android UI/UX is a mess - even on my HTC 10 which is not too far from stock Android. I love the customization abilities in Android but there is zero consistency across apps. But, the apps are there, and apps are what rule mobile.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Too lazy to quote but preach @jballard

I was in a store tonight and I almost bought this just because it said Windows phones.

However, I do agree with him. Can't say that I wouldn't be back, just hoping for app improvements on W10M

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Attachments

• 673.jpg
    673.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 60

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I was in a store tonight and I almost bought this just because it said Windows phones.

Yes, it's really kind of neat when I see a "designed for Windows Phone" or "Download from Windows Phone Store" icon somewhere on a package or billboard since they're such a rarity. This is from the back of my sd card's package:

20160708_181608_b.jpg

ricardocr

May 20, 2015
Visit site
So I got a S7 edge and I like it, especially the fact that all the apps are there and that Skype finally works properly, no more looking at a empty group chat window since rarely loaded the messages in WM, but I have to say that the twitter app for WM10 is much better, at android it chooses for you the first tweets in the same way as Facebook and there is no way to look at the tweets in chronological order

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
There really are other options if you use your phone as, well, a phone. It's not all about Snapchat or Instagram. When did MMS go out of vogue? I don't have a Twitter account because if I'm going to be limited to 140 characters, I'll stick with SMS and its 160 character limit. If a certain app is not available, I use a web browser. It all sounds ridiculous but except for the excellent cameras on modern smartphones, there are ways to simplify our lives without getting an aneurysm like some people here.

Chill people, it's JUST a phone.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
There really are other options if you use your phone as, well, a phone. It's not all about Snapchat or Instagram. When did MMS go out of vogue? I don't have a Twitter account because if I'm going to be limited to 140 characters, I'll stick with SMS and its 160 character limit. If a certain app is not available, I use a web browser. It all sounds ridiculous but except for the excellent cameras on modern smartphones, there are ways to simplify our lives without getting an aneurysm like some people here.

Chill people, it's JUST a phone.
You have a great point. I think it just depends on what people prefer for a phone. For me, I have multiple reasons why I use Twitter, but my friend thinks the same as you though.

For me, I am not able to watch all of the baseball games I want to so having push notifications and video of excellent performances is great. Not having that to me makes me wonder why do I have a smartphone then? Having different ways to communicate is great imo.

I think all of this really goes back to the individual. We don't know how the other person's life is. We don't know if the poster has a loved one in another country, with spotty internet, or they live somewhere far from the bank and don't own/lease a car but they get paper checks every week.

People who have friends already who happen to share their interests are lucky ones. My friends only share my music tastes, which is awesome, but I'm also into other stuff that I want to talk and have discussions about.

Edit: That aside, I did want to post that I'm missing how well iOS links with Microsoft stuff. Android is pretty decent but sometimes it acts funny. Like 2 days ago, a relative called me and I saved her number through Outlook. I'm pretty sure that I remember doing this. Today, the number is not saved, and I was confused about that. When I did it on my iPhone though, the change was instant, my Android even synced at the very time I saved that contact.
Why is this?

Edit 2: I keep editing but if anything, thanks for making me think. I opened this thread (as usual) but I was curious what you was going to say here.

Last edited:

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Edit: That aside, I did want to post that I'm missing how well iOS links with Microsoft stuff. Android is pretty decent but sometimes it acts funny. Like 2 days ago, a relative called me and I saved her number through Outlook. I'm pretty sure that I remember doing this. Today, the number is not saved, and I was confused about that. When I did it on my iPhone though, the change was instant, my Android even synced at the very time I saved that contact.
Why is this?

I wish I knew why but I agree with you. Syncing is decent on Android but seems more efficient for some things on iOS. I prefer Cortana on Android over iOS also (not that that needed to be posted because it has nothing to do with your inquiry) :-/ .

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I wish I knew why but I agree with you. Syncing is decent on Android but seems more efficient for some things on iOS. I prefer Cortana on Android over iOS also (not that that needed to be posted because it has nothing to do with your inquiry) :-/ .
It's alright, apparently Cortana is going to be great on Android (at least with Windows 10), but I agree with you about it being better. I think that is probably one of the different ones.

That aside, I think I get why you said that you're liking Android more than iOS, I think I'm finding myself leaning towards that.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Here's an example I've experienced using Cortana on Android vs. Win10m on my 830.

Ask Cortana to remind me to start the dishwasher at 9pm.

When that time comes I get a spoken audible from Cortana from my Android, "You have a new reminder" and at the same time I get a notification on my Windows 10 desktop without fail.

If I initiate the reminder via my Win10m 830 ... when the time comes I get an audible sound (not spoken) from my phone ... and many times I get no reminder of the event on my desktop. When I do get the audible reminder on both, I'll tap 'Complete' on my phone but the notification in the lower right on my desktop stays whereas if I tap 'Complete' on my Android (and even iOS) the desktop notification immediately goes away. Not a big deal I suppose but it bugs me anyway lol.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
People who have friends already who happen to share their interests are lucky ones. My friends only share my music tastes, which is awesome, but I'm also into other stuff that I want to talk and have discussions about.
Don't get wrong, that's all cool to share with friends. But doesn't a group text convey the same message to the same people?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Don't get wrong, that's all cool to share with friends. But doesn't a group text convey the same message to the same people?

Fair point, but MMS sucks when it comes to picture quality. It goes down a lot. Using GroupMe, for example is easier. We like GroupMe for quick messages, announcements and sharing pictures. Sometimes it's not really necessary to have a continuous group chain. Like one of my friends asked for prayer for a job interview. The whole "praying for you" messages over and over with notifications is just annoying. With GroupMe, you can reply or just like the post to acknowledge it.

Additionally, there are weirdos like me who change devices and have text messages between all of them. I like that GroupMe allows that to be consistent. Certain things, like confirmation if we are meeting somewhere or something very soon, we do over MMS though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro