Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It's been a whole day and some, and I'm finally done installing all of the updates for this HTC One A9. I think the seller I got it from, got it last year so I had to install so many.

First impressions:
-The size feels great for me. It somehow feels smaller than the Lumia 640 I have.
-I got it in the red color. So nice, made the right choice with this color.
-Whoa the HTC Sense and the Nexus version of Android couldn't be more different. I like the differences though.
-Having to decrypt my phone after a restart is something I don't like.
-Omg I really like the cameras. Much better than the Robin's.
-The HTC keyboard is okay, but I changed it out because I need my swipe.
-Battery life seems to be okay, but too early to tell.
-Big fan of having DTTW again on a phone.
-I don't like that I don't have the option to uninstall Facebook, Messenger, News Republic and some other apps but thankfully I can hide them, which kind of helps.

Last edited:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Are you saying parts used by Xiaomi ( Snapdragon processor, Sony camera...etc) are not the same with other OEM?

Xiaomi is able to sell cheaper because of their sales strategies (razor thin profit margin, no physical store and so on)

you have a point there - no physical stores -but what about repairs? How does that work?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Wow... seems like we have a environmentalist here.....

I'm not sure if there are any environmental effects directly linked to cheaper hardware, but for sure, manufacturing mobile phones nowadays are so much cost effective as compared to the old times. Furthermore, phone bodies are now made from recycled materials collected from all over the world.

The world is doom anyway and people are being killed for nothing without having any chips, regardless we are mining or not. We are the parasites on this Earth, and like it or not, a "reboot" of this world is on its way. Everyone has to die evetually. So, stop worrying too much and enjoy the technologies we have today. For a start, pick up a Xiaomi Note 3 and you will see it is a much better world outside windows phones. :)

I really don't want to use any android device, regardless of how cheap it is or how highly specd it is. I even doubt that model or company is available in my country. :cool:
The equivalent of cheap high specd phones do exist here such infinix or tecno or wiko etc

ankit3390

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Time to move on for me.... Windows phone losing the basic apps and no pokemon go

I Love Windows phones. Its such a great OS. It looks so nice, It is amazingly smooth, had the best hardware(till nokia was there in the game). But now its not even having the basic apps I need like Amazon, Here maps(This was the trigger point when I decided I need to go for Android), Paypal. It's not just that we did not have the apps ever.... the problem is that we have started to loose some of the most useful apps.
Don't even get me started on the gaming front. I had no issues with not having a lot of games but it will be so great to have those apps which everyone else has been playing around us.... It feels like I am from 1900s. I can handle not having the apps because we have some good apps. But I am done being mocked by the people for not having so many apps and games and that I have to always compromise.

Microsoft says that they are not leaving us windows phone users but it looks like everyone else is. I have been loyal to windows phone(because I liked it) from the starting but now its a lot of compromises. So I am now moving to Android as my primary device. And Windows phone as secondary unless we get the apps that are a daily driver for me.

Check this out how people have started to mock us(One of my friends tagged me directly :D :D)
windowsphoneisajoke.jpg

What do you guys say... Are you compromising on the things Windows phone is lacking because you love windows phone/Mobile 10?

hatie123

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Time to move on for me.... Windows phone losing the basic apps and no pokemon go

I am about at my breaking point as well. I have loved Windows Phone is OS 6 & right now I have the 640 XL with Windows 10 preview. The app issue wasn't such a big deal in the past but now it's like everywhere you turn there is an cool app you hear about but Windows is still left in the dark. Microsoft said they would make the app gap smaller but I think it's only getting larger. The other big problem is being in the Insider Fast program. I keep running out of internal storage to even download the updates. Everything I possibly can is on the microsd card. But I have to delete basic apps just to complete an update. Who in the world thought 8GB of internal storage was enough for a large smartphone was crazy! Sure, I could have forked out a lot more money for the Lumia 950XL (ATT never carried the model) but it's not worth it. Really looking into the Galaxy Note 7 when it comes out & keeping the Lumia 640XL as a second phone.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: Time to move on for me.... Windows phone losing the basic apps and no pokemon go

But I am done being mocked by the people for not having so many apps and games and that I have to always compromise.

I mean this in the most polite way possible:
If you're being 'mocked' and it's affecting you, it's more of a problem with who you choose to associate with, than the phone you're using.

Grow some thicker skin, too. The same people dissing you for not having the latest fad app probably paid 3-4x what you did for your Windows Phone. (and maybe they only bought it so they could be 'cool' like the rest of their friends...) :smile:

I've encountered a few people who are always late and behind on their bills walking around with the latest iphones as soon as they come out. Some peoples' priorities in life are just out of whack.

GeterOnityD7

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
I am leaving Windows Phone and Smartphones

I am on windows phone for around 2 years my first windows phone was lumia 630 duos,and my curent phone is lumia 640 xl,everything turned to worse since windows 10 mobile for me,i loved windows 8.1 but windows 10 dissapointed me rly bad,i will give some facts which in my opinion is the main reason i give up on smartphones in general,First of all windows 10 mobile are really bad and i will tell you exactly all the apps that fail to me,Microsoft edge:keyboard takes 10 s to load,you click on search and you have to click again till keyboard show up,when i click a link on edge it zooms in,and if i click again it zooms out,i have to zoom in and click link properly,sometimes it even hangs when trying to type,Photos app:I zoom in a picture then zoom out,then try to got to next one and it acts like i am still zoomed in same pic,Music app:When i have locked screen and try to change song it shows next song like i skip two times then it starts,Takes more time to boot then windows 8.1 (i dont have tha many apps.) I wont start with the app gap cause before i bought windows phone i know it doesnt have everything (and i mean for games cause u can find every app android has but with diff name) I paid for a product that works properly instead i ended up with this beta OS,i convinced familly members and friends to buy Windows Phones,and now i am leaving smartphones,android or iOS are not alternative option for me,i will go for a simple phone that makes only calls,i think Microsoft didnt put the effort she got to,and she promised things she couldnt do,All i want to say is that dont hope for something you paid for,you paid and you should get it perfect from the first moment,Windows 10 for pc are very good,but if you really mind the money you gave you will see my point of view,i dont hate microsoft or windows phones,as i said i dont believe there will be better phones as windows phones for what specs they offer with such price but thats not enough.

pradha91

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 mobile good or bad?

I am a windows mobile user since 2008.
1) When HTC launched touch viva 2, I bought it and I liked it. compact and good and i could boast myself using Office apps on a phone like that with a stylus etc and HTC's design was the best (and its still the best). I hate them for not producing such WM phones these days.

2) Then when 6.5 was launched I bought HD2 again from HTC shelling out more money this time and it did not get upgrade to 7 though i managed some unofficial port and enjoyed for sometime.

3) Then in 2012 December I bought the L820 finally, one of the 2 phones launched with WP8. That is my primary device till now. I am completely ok with WP and now im on insider slow build using WM10 and probably getting the anniversary update today or tomorrow. However I feel MS is taking things too too slow and its assuming many things by itself. I am a user of WM for the past 8 years and i see not much development in the category.

4)I strongly believe it will develop ( i am still a hardcore fan of Windows mobile. I also own a Surface Pro 3 and a HP ENVY DV6 and a customized desktop with 4 TB HDD, 32 gigs of ram and a NVIDIA GTX 960). I am loving all those but the mobile category seems to be a downfall. You pay a premium rate but get under par service.

A CHANGE:
5)I have ordered the One Plus 3 device today to change for sometime and may be will shift back once the Surface Phone is launched. I do not want to shell money on 950 or 950XL, i am sure they wont be future proof when surface is launched with some new technology.

Just sharing my ideas. Please drop your comments. and no harsh feelings please. We all are WP lovers :) :)

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I really don't want to use any android device, regardless of how cheap it is or how highly specd it is. I even doubt that model or company is available in my country. :cool:
The equivalent of cheap high specd phones do exist here such infinix or tecno or wiko etc

Since you don't prefer any android, I guess you have to stay with windows phone if you feel this is the platform for you. There is no right or wrong answers to this.

There are others (in this forum) who feel that windows phone just cannot satisfy their daily needs, including myself. From social to banking apps, to even the latest Pokemon Go (whether you playing that or not is another matter), etc etc, every single app on windows phone cannot compete with the quality and availability of the same apps on Android / iOS platforms. I tried the latest Facebook Messenger for windows phone on my 640XL, and gosh! Slow startup, lags when going in and out of conversations, every single tap action seems to have certain kind of delays. :angry::angry: Fortunately, when I'm back to my XiaoMi Note 3, everything is happening so quickly and buttery smooth.

I'm not sure about you, but my relationship with windows phone is a period. It's an atrocious platform! I know it's kind of harsh, but that's my view of this pathetic platform.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Thinking of Leaving | Switching platforms...comment here!

It's not that it's harsh, it's completely biased and uncalled for. The platform is in Beta, plain and simple. The fact many of the whiners cant seem to grasp that SIMPLE notion is beyond me. The "buggy" apps are few and far between in my 950xl. I love reviews where the hardware is old, yet it's the OS causing the issue. Go follow the fan-droid forum. Criticism is allowed, but cmon you obviously hate the platform and can't be critical. I would LOVE for my 950xl to never have an app crash, but it does. As it does on iOS and Android. The major difference is the refinement and polish on those. I had an iPhone at the very beginning, in my opinion, Windows 10m surpasses it at the same place in time. 10 is not an UPDATE to 8.1, it is a ground up rebuild. Get that straight. And what they have done in this amount of time is amazing. Look up how long iOS was in development....

Sonu K

May 29, 2014
Visit site
the question is - are those Xiaomi phones really good for quality? After sales service? Or potential for updates? And how do they manufacture at such low prices?

Yes. Also I think it depends on which model you are buying. In Android, always select a popular model. If something goes wrong, company will be forced to take action because of huge number of complaints.. Ha ha.. I did not have to go to a service center yet... Xiaomi has their own UI design called MIUI. So, you'll never know which version of Android you are using unless you check on the settings section. MIUI has some unique features which other android phones don't have. My redmi note3 runs on MIUI 7.3 now. They are launching MIUI 8 next month. And unlike Microsoft who love to reduce their consumer base with every update, they are updating all devices. Almost every company can manufacture mobile phones for a cheap price. It's just that they(Including Microsoft) are looting us by choosing the wrong business model. Xiaomi don't have any physical stores in my country. They sell the phones exclusively through their website and two e-commercial sites. And did flash sales initially. That increased the exclusiveness. Also they didn't launch a flagship first. They tested the waters with cheap but reliable value for money phones. Then launched their flagship which is called MI5. That is one business model which works. Microsoft has anyway announced that they are no more interested in my country's market. Don't get me wrong, I loved windows phone. It's Microsoft who knowingly put every single nail on its coffin. I'll never ever recommend anyone to use any MS product. Because I'll never know when they'll shoot on their own foot. Microsoft should have remembered something, there is a whole new generation growing up who don't have to touch a Microsoft product to access the Internet. They forgot the basics.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Skynet

Last edited:

Sonu K

May 29, 2014
Visit site
hardware is getting cheaper but have we thought why? The rare earth metals used in the manufacture have a finite supply and some of that comes from regions with conflicts. Environmental effects - do mining companies deal with properly or cut corners? Factory safety and adequate worker compensation - is that strictly followed?

What's the difference between chips made on the road side and in a restaurant? The road side chips could be made in unhygienic conditions, using overused oil, suspect potatoes etc. You might not get sick the first time or the next but eventually something will happen (I'm speaking from experience as I got jaundice from a roadside chips seller)

That "eventually something might happen" sounds like how I use to wait for Windows phone updates and new devices which was always 'coming soon'. I'm not going to use a phone for more than 3 years. So if something happens I'll buy a new phone. I'm sure then also many Microsoft features will be still in coming soon stage for W10. Jokes apart, it's really sad to see a company who had potential killing is own product.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Also I think it depends on which model you are buying. In Android, always select a popular model. If something goes wrong, company will be forced to take action because of huge number of complaints.. Ha ha.. I did not have to go to a service center yet... Xiaomi has their own UI design called MIUI. So, you'll never know which version of Android you are using unless you check on the settings section. MIUI has some unique features which other android phones don't have. My redmi note3 runs on MIUI 7.3 now. They are launching MIUI 8 next month. And unlike Microsoft who love to reduce their consumer base with every update, they are updating all devices. Almost every company can manufacture mobile phones for a cheap price. It's just that they(Including Microsoft) are looting us by choosing the wrong business model. Xiaomi don't have any physical stores in my country. They sell the phones exclusively through their website and two e-commercial sites. And did flash sales initially. That increased the exclusiveness. Also they didn't launch a flagship first. They tested the waters with cheap but reliable value for money phones. Then launched their flagship which is called MI5. That is one business model which works. Microsoft has anyway announced that they are no more interested in my country's market. Don't get me wrong, I loved windows phone. It's Microsoft who knowingly put every single nail on its coffin. I'll never ever recommend anyone to use any MS product. Because I'll never know when they'll shoot on their own foot. Microsoft should have remembered something, there is a whole new generation growing up who don't have to touch a Microsoft product to access the Internet. They forgot the basics.

I think Xiaomi has put in so much more efforts on their MIUI as compared to Microsoft doing with their Windows 10 Mobile. :evil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um9fqcmHfXg

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Since you don't prefer any android, I guess you have to stay with windows phone if you feel this is the platform for you. There is no right or wrong answers to this.

There are others (in this forum) who feel that windows phone just cannot satisfy their daily needs, including myself. From social to banking apps, to even the latest Pokemon Go (whether you playing that or not is another matter), etc etc, every single app on windows phone cannot compete with the quality and availability of the same apps on Android / iOS platforms. I tried the latest Facebook Messenger for windows phone on my 640XL, and gosh! Slow startup, lags when going in and out of conversations, every single tap action seems to have certain kind of delays. :angry::angry: Fortunately, when I'm back to my XiaoMi Note 3, everything is happening so quickly and buttery smooth.

I'm not sure about you, but my relationship with windows phone is a period. It's an atrocious platform! I know it's kind of harsh, but that's my view of this pathetic platform.

I'm still going with windows mobile, I see a future there. :smile:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 mobile good or bad?

Heya so welcome to the forums and goodbye? :winktongue:

Kidding, but do hope you enjoy that 1+. Don't think the 950 series will be abandoned by MS when the SPhone is launched.

To answer your question; yes, windows 10 mobile is good, for me anyways

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

I keep running out of internal storage to even download the updates. Everything I possibly can is on the microsd card. But I have to delete basic apps just to complete an update. Who in the world thought 8GB of internal storage was enough for a large smartphone was crazy!

Yep, 8GB is ridiculous. This is where it'd be nice if WP had the feature that Android does of formatting the SD card as a part of the actual phone storage. You could easily bump an 8GB phone to 40GB by adding a 32GB card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers