Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

resle

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Done with Windows Mobile, moving to Android

I was a DOS guy in the early 90s when Mac users laughed at me, an early adopter of all Windows versions (Win XP 64 bit included (!)) - and someone who chose a Windows Server based infrastructure for his own company in spite of equally attractive free alternatives.
I suppose all of the above makes me quite a Microsoft/Windows loyalist.

So of course, I had a Windows CE phone, a Windows Phone 7, a couple Windows 8.1 phones, and in the end a Lumia Icon running Windows Mobile 10. And when it comes to smartphones, even when I briefly slipped into the iPhone territory, the home screen was enough to contain all the apps I needed. Yes, I need that few. The so called "App gap" has never existed for me on Windows Phone.

Except...
..except I expected those few apps, those few, few "mainstream" apps that one could find on Windows Phone, to be regularly maintained and updated.

But that didn't happen. Quality slipped, versions lagged badly behind, and even Microsoft's own apps deteriorated or were treated at 2nd class compared to their equivalents on iOS ad Android.

And the phones...
The 920 was a brick twice as thick as other similarly equipped Android phones, not to mention the iPhone. The Icon, as beautiful as it is, it's another thick and rough thing. Later phones just looked hideous and even cheaper in build, lacking physical buttons, sporting unbelievably slow cameras, etc.

I live in China: I bought this nondescript Xiaomi android phone just for a test ride. It was all but my intention, to actually end up using it as my main phone. In a week I found out that Whatsapp and Alipay (a local payment app) had 10 times the features of their Windows counterpart. And they just worked. No crashes! No freezing! Also, the battery didn't drain in half a day. The phone remained cool all the time and, uhm, it was a piece of paper compared to my Icon. And the camera.... I forgot one could just point and shoot with a smartphone. And there are apps that allow me to browse my Windows LAN like I was on a pc... which my Windows Phone never allowed me to do properly. And... and... and.... ..... and all of this costed me less than half the Icon.

So I decided to tolerate that Android looks like an inconsistent mess of UI elements, and pick it over Windows Mobile.
After all I did it for 25 years on desktop Windows, and to those who pushed me to MacOS because "all looked so consistent", I offered the same perspective that today drives me to Android: right, it looks crappy, but - you know - it lets me do all I want, the way I want it.

I hope things will change at some point. The potential is definitely there.

r.

ps: someone please tell me why MS spent 26 billions on Linkedin rather than invest in the makers of the top rated IOS and Android apps out there to port and maintain a UWP version ...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Done with Windows Mobile, moving to Android

Your story is very similar to many people. Lots of us get to a point with Windows and then hit that wall and stops us. Mine happened two years ago, actually a bit earlier, but I haven't used Windows since then.

I stay on this site (just so people know) because I'm still interested in Windows. I own two laptops and a SP3 so I'm not out of the ecosystem. When it comes to phones/apps and so on I'm waiting for things to sort themselves out and then maybe I'll be back but that still looks many years away at the moment.

I don't mind Android, might be because I used Symbian and Android reminds me of it a bit. I like being able to customise when I feel like and of course all those things you mentioned are the reasons I stick with Android. I do hope at some point Windows Mobile gets there.

As for your last question. There's a big difference between giving cash to developers and buying a company. The main reason for MS to buy LinkedIn should be obvious, data. Lots of money in that data as well. Also because MS is enterprise focused, LinkedIn being a professional social network, it sort of fits.

At the worst, MS can always right off LinkedIn. They can't do that with paying a developer. They also can't keep paying a developer to update their app either. MS has created a means for app developers to port apps, it's up to them to decide if it's a viable idea.

The unfortunate part in all the is that third party apps supposedly better than the main stream app doesn't register your usage as a Windows user in some cases. So there's no way for a company to know that Windows users may be interested. Hence the issue with developers is a mess.

But I digress...

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

Too bad.
IMO Win10 (including mobile) is the best OS one can desire (especially me). It works great, does everything I want it to, and even way way more. I just don't see myself switching ever (unless they screw it up somehow).
I just hope all of these people who are constantly changing platforms and roasting them all the time find an OS (and a device) that feels like home, and be at peace, atleast for a moment. Because that's where I am right now, and it feels great.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site

I have a similar story too. And feel the same way. Android is a chaotic, messy UI but I had to move on, as much as I prefer Windows Mobile for phones. I still have a 950xl so I can keep up with it's evolution and Continuum but I can't use it as a daily driver until I see it bounce back.

owensdj

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

Just because you disagree with their reasoning doesn't mean it's not legitimate.

Also, last time I checked, this website is for Windows, not specific to Windows Mobile. Enjoy!

It doesn't matter if the reasoning is legitimate. I don't see the point in creating a new thread telling other people why you personally want to switch. Also, this is the Windows 10 Mobile-specific section of the forums. Even if it wasn't, it's certainly not the Android section.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It doesn't matter if the reasoning is legitimate. I don't see the point in creating a new thread telling other people why you personally want to switch. Also, this is the Windows 10 Mobile-specific section of the forums. Even if it wasn't, it's certainly not the Android section.

Actually the thread has been moved to the appropriate place now. Sometimes people aren't sure where to post.

In any case. People like to rant. What else is new? This is the internet after all.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Too bad.
IMO Win10 (including mobile) is the best OS one can desire (especially me). It works great, does everything I want it to, and even way way more. I just don't see myself switching ever (unless they screw it up somehow).
I just hope all of these people who are constantly changing platforms and roasting them all the time find an OS (and a device) that feels like home, and be at peace, atleast for a moment. Because that's where I am right now, and it feels great.

It's hard. At the point I am, there's nothing to roast about any of the platforms but I switch a lot. I just want my happy OS place. I never thought that I would be trying a 950 but here I am. I never thought that I would be because I lasted 3 days tops with my 640 on Windows 10 Mobile.

amit12131

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Good decision, using a single platform for a long time is boring. We should change the platform after some time.
You can buy a brand new phone or another option is refurbished or box opened phone. Before buy a refurbished phone you should check the seller platform. It should be trust worthy. Some websites like Togofogo is providing refurbished or box opened mobile phones at very affordable price.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Not leaving Windows Phone... but I am taking a break from it.

View attachment 127179

Looks like I'm hopping back on the Windows Phone train after two months of chilling with my Passport. I'm going to hold onto the Passport until BlackBerry finally releases BB 10.3.3. (assuming they ever release it). Don't get me wrong, the device works great. Two years post release and the Passport is still fast and fluid. The current OS is stable and I didn't have any problems in day to day use. But in many ways the phone never felt modern either. There are plenty of minor annoyances that begun to grate on me.

For example, one industry standard is swiping down from the top to access settings and notifications. And in most cases, you can access that panel no matter what app you're currently in. Not true for BB10. Swiping down with one finger doesn't work if you have an app open. That even includes default apps like the web browser or music app. Swiping down with one finger brings up additional settings for that particular app (assuming there are any). Instead you have to swipe down with two fingers. The Passport is a stubby little device. I can easily swipe down from the top with one finger. But no, I'm forced to use two fingers. And considering how often I changed various settings, it did become a pain after a while.

While I like the LED notification light, I don't think it's better than glance screen. I had two main problems with Blackberry's implementation of the LED notification system. One is that the LED would stop blinking after a set amount of time, meaning I still had to turn the screen on to check notifications. The other problem are the intervals at which the light blinked. Once the light blinks, it takes like two seconds for it to blink again. So often I found myself staring at the light waiting to see if it did blink or not. Which isn't that uncommon as any light reflecting off the screen might make you think the LED went off. In comparison to glance, I could very easily see if I had any notifications and where those notifications came from. Sure there is an app that let you adjust the LED settings, but the app that I saw was two bucks and poorly rated. No thanks.

The "Connect to OneDrive" app was essentially pointless. I could access my OneDrive files from the File application but it took forever for them to load.

Another issue, what seemed like it should be minor but got increasingly annoying was that I couldn't change the default text color on my emails. Composing a new email defaulted to black text but all email replies were blue. Each time I had to change the color back to black.

Plus, I was really annoyed any time I had to forward a text message. It would add "fwd" at the front.

And there were many other things that felt kind of dated. I also remembered that I'm simply not a fan of static icons. It actually limited my willingness to engage with the platform. Windows Phone, for all its limitations, is still a far more interactive OS.

It wasn't all bad though. There are certain parts to BB10 that will miss, like the ability to use the hardware buttons to play/pause both music and Youtube videos. I'll miss the keyboard, of course. That was one of the more frustrating things about returning to a virtual keyboard, mistyping a word. Going back and then mistyping it again, lol. Still, it was a fun ride and I'll play around with it again once 10.3.3. hits.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Looks like I'm hopping back on the Windows Phone train after two months of chilling with my Passport. I'm going to hold onto the Passport until BlackBerry finally releases BB 10.3.3. (assuming they ever release it). Don't get me wrong, the device works great. Two years post release and the Passport is still fast and fluid. The current OS is stable and I didn't have any problems in day to day use. But in many ways the phone never felt modern either. There are plenty of minor annoyances that begun to grate on me.

For example, one industry standard is swiping down from the top to access settings and notifications. And in most cases, you can access that panel no matter what app you're currently in. Not true for BB10. Swiping down with one finger doesn't work if you have an app open. That even includes default apps like the web browser or music app. Swiping down with one finger brings up additional settings for that particular app (assuming there are any). Instead you have to swipe down with two fingers. The Passport is a stubby little device. I can easily swipe down from the top with one finger. But no, I'm forced to use two fingers. And considering how often I changed various settings, it did become a pain after a while.

While I like the LED notification light, I don't think it's better than glance screen. I had two main problems with Blackberry's implementation of the LED notification system. One is that the LED would stop blinking after a set amount of time, meaning I still had to turn the screen on to check notifications. The other problem are the intervals at which the light blinked. Once the light blinks, it takes like two seconds for it to blink again. So often I found myself staring at the light waiting to see if it did blink or not. Which isn't that uncommon as any light reflecting off the screen might make you think the LED went off. In comparison to glance, I could very easily see if I had any notifications and where those notifications came from. Sure there is an app that let you adjust the LED settings, but the app that I saw was two bucks and poorly rated. No thanks.

The "Connect to OneDrive" app was essentially pointless. I could access my OneDrive files from the File application but it took forever for them to load.

Another issue, what seemed like it should be minor but got increasingly annoying was that I couldn't change the default text color on my emails. Composing a new email defaulted to black text but all email replies were blue. Each time I had to change the color back to black.

Plus, I was really annoyed any time I had to forward a text message. It would add "fwd" at the front.

And there were many other things that felt kind of dated. I also remembered that I'm simply not a fan of static icons. It actually limited my willingness to engage with the platform. Windows Phone, for all its limitations, is still a far more interactive OS.

It wasn't all bad though. There are certain parts to BB10 that will miss, like the ability to use the hardware buttons to play/pause both music and Youtube videos. I'll miss the keyboard, of course. That was one of the more frustrating things about returning to a virtual keyboard, mistyping a word. Going back and then mistyping it again, lol. Still, it was a fun ride and I'll play around with it again once 10.3.3. hits.

Whoa, you lasted 2 months :eek: That's impressive! Interesting observations, thanks for the updates. It's been very interesting to read. What Windows Phone are you going back to? The 1520 or will you take a chance on the 950XL or even the smaller one?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Whoa, you lasted 2 months :eek: That's impressive! Interesting observations, thanks for the updates. It's been very interesting to read. What Windows Phone are you going back to? The 1520 or will you take a chance on the 950XL or even the smaller one?

I went back to my 1520. The price for the 950 XL is right but Windows Hello and a better camera isn't enough to make me drop $450 on it.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I went back to my 1520. The price for the 950 XL is right but Windows Hello and a better camera isn't enough to make me drop $450 on it.
I'm seriously thinking about buying another 1520. I'm kinda worried about such an old battery in those phones, though. How is yours holding up?

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
If you're too worried about the battery not holding up too well for you, you can get the 1520 for me Science. I promise I'll never worry about the battery holding up. Ever. And in return. I can be that beautiful human being who takes that 920 off your hands. And viola! Everyone comes out of it real happy! ^_^ :D

-- W

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm seriously thinking about buying another 1520. I'm kinda worried about such an old battery in those phones, though. How is yours holding up?

I'm coming up on about two years old. I've always been a light user, 30-40 texts a day (with some days being way worse than others). About an hour split between music and video everyday. Some light web browsing and 10-15 emails. I can make it through a full work day with no problem. I usually put it on the charger around 10. By then I'm usually around 50-60%. I don't charge overnight, only before and after work.

Paul Stoner

May 23, 2015
Visit site
What Is The Breaking Point? When Is Enough Enough?

I love my Lumia 950. There, now that I have that out there, there are a series of things that are lighting a fire under my *** that make me want to jump ship...

Here is why I feel the way I feel...

1) Yes, Microsoft owes us nothing - a majority of us helped them build Windows 10 / Windows 10 Mobile to what it is today, and the world got it completely free for a year. I completely and 100% agree with this statement. However, being locked into a carrier and not getting firmware for almost 1 1/2 months, not getting the Anniversary update on time - ok, can't complain, free, but still slightly irritating.

2) Developers Retiring Apps With No Sign Of Coming Back - The past month it's been like watching rats escaping a sinking ship.

3) UWP Not Bringing In Devs Like Microsoft Hoped - There are some seriously sweet mobile gaming titles that devs simply won't allow to go to the Windows 10 Mobile Platform / UWP. For example, Epic Games, Niantic, Square Enix, and hundreds of other devs that have made top-notch games for iPhone and Android that have nothing to lose except a short amount of work it requires to convert their titles to UWP - but they simply won't do it - I mean all they stand to do is make money, and Microsoft has made it so easy, they STILL won't take advantage of it!

Windows 10 Mobile is unique, UWP is unique, the tools are there, but no one will touch them. I fear that Microsoft's past with mobile has left a stigma that devs won't touch with a 10 meter cattle-prod.

I use my mobile device for everything, including mobile gaming, not just productivity and everyday communication. And to be honest...the gaming aspect is making me want to get up and go. When all my buddies are playing games that I have no access to, I am left out of the fun...

So, might be selfish reasons, but I am teetering on flopping over to an Android Phone...just trying to hang on a little longer...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: What Is The Breaking Point? When Is Enough Enough?

Breaking point varies for every individual.

Many are enjoying what they consider the best mobile OS, many are no longer with them. (and those in between)

You aren't married to your phone so do what you think is best. (Nexus phones are nice, definitely worth trying.)

Could always buy used, sell your current phone, do a trade or if you're lucky enough get a loaner from someone or something.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Breaking point varies for every individual.

Many are enjoying what they consider the best mobile OS, many are no longer with them. (and those in between)

You aren't married to your phone so do what you think is best. (Nexus phones are nice, definitely worth trying.)

Could always buy used, sell your current phone, do a trade or if you're lucky enough get a loaner from someone or something.

Well said.

For me, the breaking point was losing the MLB At Bat app. MSN Sports is a poor substitute for it. ESPN is good for it. I learned this now, finally. It is slightly delayed but good.

Paul Stoner

May 23, 2015
Visit site

Well, I think 'married' to my 950 is a bit extreme, but I think what is keeping me on my 950 is the smooth and natural functionality that I feel using Windows 10 Mobile. When it comes to everyday communication and productivity, it is phenomenal - a feel that Android and iPhone simply do not have. Be nice to just take every developer in the world who has scoffed at Windows 10 Mobile and UWP and one by one bring them into a room and smack the heck out of em...NEXT!!!

Tasha Jaiswal

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site

I think Paul has a valid argument. I am feeling the exact same thing for Windows Phone. The fluidity of the OS is what I love the most but developers turning away hurts. Also it seems that Microsoft is not even serious about WindowsMobile. Recently my Lumia 640 stopped functioning abruptly. Now I'm planning to get a new phone but I want something cheap and good. There are only 550 and 650 available. 640 is out of stock everywhere. The point is, there are not even many Windows phones available in the market.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Well I enjoyed the smooth and natural functionality of Windows Phone 8, Blackberry 10 and webOS, but all three are pretty much gone. You may be able to tune Android to what you like.

Also Tasha, the 650 replaced the 640 so...

(Also, buying used may be worth it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea