Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
But yeah, the integration clearly isn't there... but that doesn't really matter when there are no apps for Windows Phone.

I agree, and that's why I jumped to Android, but I realize now how much I relied on Cortana's integration.

Take, for example, how Cortana worked with Bluetooth in my truck. On my Windows phone, I could say "call Cortana". When she "answered" I could say "text john doe". She'd ask me my message, I'd say the first sentence. She'd read it back and ask me if I wanted to add more, try again or send. Sometimes I got impatient when sending a long text with multiple sentences, but I've come to realize I really liked the way it worked.

Google Now doesn't ever read it back to me and I always want to know how it (mis)interpreted what I said before sending. I haven't determined yet if I can use the voice commands in my truck (not Google Now directly) to create & send a message, and I need to test that, but I found it so easy to use Cortana for that. I definitely still have learning to do on the Android side of things.

When I was using my Windows phone, I hated the fact that while listening to music and having it give me directions it would dial Cortana, read me my next direction, hang up and the music would resume. On my Android, it'll read the directions over the music and I wish Windows would do it that way. Always dialing Cortana isn't the best way - it just depends on the situation.

But, the apps.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I agree, and that's why I jumped to Android, but I realize now how much I relied on Cortana's integration.

Take, for example, how Cortana worked with Bluetooth in my truck. On my Windows phone, I could say "call Cortana". When she "answered" I could say "text john doe". She'd ask me my message, I'd say the first sentence. She'd read it back and ask me if I wanted to add more, try again or send. Sometimes I got impatient when sending a long text with multiple sentences, but I've come to realize I really liked the way it worked.

Google Now doesn't ever read it back to me and I always want to know how it (mis)interpreted what I said before sending. I haven't determined yet if I can use the voice commands in my truck (not Google Now directly) to create & send a message, and I need to test that, but I found it so easy to use Cortana for that. I definitely still have learning to do on the Android side of things.

When I was using my Windows phone, I hated the fact that while listening to music and having it give me directions it would dial Cortana, read me my next direction, hang up and the music would resume. On my Android, it'll read the directions over the music and I wish Windows would do it that way. Always dialing Cortana isn't the best way - it just depends on the situation.

But, the apps.

I would hate it if Cortana gave directions over the top of the music.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I would hate it if Cortana gave directions over the top of the music.

I prefer it over the music if it lowers the volume of the music. Ideally, it would be nice if it didn't have to dial Cortana to silence the music: just pause the music and output the directions over the music. I was never sure if the phone actually paused the music or it kept playing while Cortana "called" me with the directions. The "calling" and "hanging up" takes way too much time. Just pause the music, read my directions and resume...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

To use voice commands with Google Now you need to set it up under Language and Input and enable under Google voice typing. (if that's not there you need Google Keyboard) OK Google detection. Make sure Speech Output is on. Also ensure Hands Free is setup for Bluetooth.

My wife typically talks her text messages now when at home. She finds it easier than using the keyboard for long texts.

I have my phone set up to detect OK Google from any screen, including lockscreen. It only recognises my voice so it's secure.

Here's a list of things you can say with OK Google - OK Google

Some people think having a list like that is silly but I thought it was brilliant. But it does show how far we have to go before things are more natural.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I prefer it over the music if it lowers the volume of the music. Ideally, it would be nice if it didn't have to dial Cortana to silence the music: just pause the music and output the directions over the music. I was never sure if the phone actually paused the music or it kept playing while Cortana "called" me with the directions. The "calling" and "hanging up" takes way too much time. Just pause the music, read my directions and resume...

I'm not sure what you mean by "dialing" and "hanging up". When I use maps it just pauses the music, gives me the next direction and then the music is back. It is a fraction of a second between each. Pause the music, read my directions and resume is all mine does. What phone are you using and what setup for audio?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm really on the fence about this 950.

Overall, it's pretty cool. However, the battery life is a disappointment. It isn't the worst, but daily charging is not something I really want to do and yet, I have to. Considering that I'm not a heavy user, I don't get this. The anniversary update I was waiting on brings a lot, and also takes some with it, like alarm volume which feels like deja vu to me. I had a similar issue with the Nextbit Robin I had. The sound was super loud, so I found myself adjusting the volume a lot in one day. That really does get tiring, ugh. I'm not sure if it is really worth it to deal with that again, on a daily driver.

So I switched back to my SE for now. As for if I'll keep the 950 anyway, I'll have to think hard about that. Going to sit and wait for those Honor reviews though.

IgorVysoky

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
So it came. I already left. I was thinking for few weeks. My lumia 535 (520 beforehand) was still working and still does work. I gave it to my girlfriend who lost her phone. I switched to Android, Lenovo Vibe P1m specifically. For great price I got great package. 2gb ram, 16gb memory, 4000mAh battery, 5000mAh power bank for 160?. for that price i got my first lumia 520 3 years ago. We'll see how it'll work out.

Reasons why I did it:
App gap: not that i missed any, but the delivered quality was poor and not up-to-date.
Microsoft's promises not being delivered and fulfilled.
I was always waiting for "something that will change the game". Nothing came.

I am trying android. Not saying I will never come back. I will still watch MS's steps use its services, cause they make good job on my laptop and desktop PC. It's just that I don't want to use Titanic of mobile operating systems.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I decided to return the 950, because I'm a worrywart and aesthetics.

People can tell me not to worry about burn in but that doesn't stop me from always remembering to hide the navigation bar. There have been many times this week when I have been into my book for at least half of a chapter and then I realize that I didn't hide the bar.

The dark theme is cool AND necessary for AMOLED. I am one who loves the light theme and IPS lets me have it. I missed my light theme. Actually glad that my 640 isn't on AU, lol. Having the battery icon gone from Glance screen, along with a silent ringer icon isn't a nice touch.

I'm coming for that Honor 8!

Last edited:

dellaster

May 31, 2014
Visit site
I decided to return the 950, because I'm a worrywart and aesthetics.

People can tell me not to worry about burn in but that doesn't stop me from always remembering to hide the navigation bar. There have been many times this week when I have been into my book for at least half of a chapter and then I realize that I didn't hide the bar.

The dark theme is cool AND necessary for AMOLED. I am one who loves the light theme and IPS lets me have it. I missed my light theme. Actually glad that my 640 isn't on AU, lol. Having the battery icon gone from Glance screen, along with a silent ringer icon isn't a nice touch.

I'm coming for that Honor 8!

Burn in is a real problem for those of us who don't get a new phone every year or so. The refurbished Lumia Icon I received (and returned) had horrible burn in on its AMOLED screen. This is one reason I switched to iPhone, for its excellent IPS LCD. I dislike using a dark theme for reading content (ebooks, web articles, et al).

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm really on the fence about this 950.

Overall, it's pretty cool. However, the battery life is a disappointment. It isn't the worst, but daily charging is not something I really want to do and yet, I have to. Considering that I'm not a heavy user, I don't get this. The anniversary update I was waiting on brings a lot, and also takes some with it, like alarm volume which feels like deja vu to me. I had a similar issue with the Nextbit Robin I had. The sound was super loud, so I found myself adjusting the volume a lot in one day. That really does get tiring, ugh. I'm not sure if it is really worth it to deal with that again, on a daily driver.

So I switched back to my SE for now. As for if I'll keep the 950 anyway, I'll have to think hard about that. Going to sit and wait for those Honor reviews though.

About the battery life: Welcome to W10M...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Actually glad that my 640 isn't on AU, lol. Having the battery icon gone from Glance screen, along with a silent ringer icon isn't a nice touch.

Battery by Arthur Semenov displays just fine on Lock and Glance under AU.

Can't answer about silent ringer as I never use it. Quiet Hours user here. It's even on my Quick Toggle list in Notification Center + automatic at night and when my calendar says I'm busy.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Battery by Arthur Semenov displays just fine on Lock and Glance under AU.

Can't answer about silent ringer as I never use it. Quiet Hours user here. It's even on my Quick Toggle list in Notification Center + automatic at night and when my calendar says I'm busy.

Nicee! I will try it on my 640. The silent ringer icon is important for me at work and church so it's very helpful for those 6 days of the week. Sometimes I forget to change it. I hope that will make its way back here.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nicee! I will try it on my 640. The silent ringer icon is important for me at work and church so it's very helpful for those 6 days of the week. Sometimes I forget to change it. I hope that will make its way back here.

I just double checked, Quiet Hours does not show on Glance, but you do see it on Lock. It appears next to connections in the left hand side of the status bar even on Lock.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
To use voice commands with Google Now you need to set it up under Language and Input and enable under Google voice typing. (if that's not there you need Google Keyboard) OK Google detection. Make sure Speech Output is on. Also ensure Hands Free is setup for Bluetooth.

Some people think having a list like that is silly but I thought it was brilliant. But it does show how far we have to go before things are more natural.

I've definitely set it up and I use it for texting when I'm at home (by myself, otherwise it's never quiet enough or I am probably annoying others). It's just that when driving I liked the way that Cortana would read back to me what I just said and ask me if I want to add more, try again or send. Unless I missed it, Google Now doesn't do that.

As for the OK Google commands, I use some of them. I just miss the fact that a developer for a Windows app can register their app with Cortana. I could just say "Hey Cortana: Pandora play station Dream Theater'" and it'll automatically launch Pandora and start that station. My third party alarm app that I used, Realarm, had several commands registered. As I understand it, any developer can register their app with Cortana allowing deeper app integration than what I see Google Now as being able to do unless I'm missing something.

And that list is handy - I've looked up items on a similar one.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean by "dialing" and "hanging up". When I use maps it just pauses the music, gives me the next direction and then the music is back. It is a fraction of a second between each. Pause the music, read my directions and resume is all mine does. What phone are you using and what setup for audio?

When I used Cortana in my truck, anytime she'd read directions, my screen would briefly flash "calling" before Cortana kicked in. It seemed clunky.

I was using a 950XL but have moved onto an HTC 10.

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
It's just that when driving I liked the way that Cortana would read back to me what I just said and ask me if I want to add more, try again or send. Unless I missed it, Google Now doesn't do that.

Actually, Google Now does do that. After you dictate your text, and she asks, "do you want to send it or change it," say "read back" or "read it".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb