Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I used to like phones only in black, then I got a blue Lumia 900. That was followed by a red 920. I went back to blue for the 2013 Moto X and the 2015 Moto X Pure Edition.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
When I used Cortana in my truck, anytime she'd read directions, my screen would briefly flash "calling" before Cortana kicked in. It seemed clunky.

I was using a 950XL but have moved onto an HTC 10.

That is so weird! My 640XL has never done that. It always stays on the current screen (usually Maps and occasionally Podcasts). I wonder why the 950XL does that??

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Well Microsoft has finally beat me into submission. The new CEO's utter indifference to consumers will have me switching to Android today.

While there were many things that led to this - Not having basic apps i need, lack of VR support, exiting the consumer space, having better MS apps on competing platforms
, etc., losing the Amazon app was the straw that broke the camels back.

Sure, the Amazon app sucked but it was much more convenient than the mobile website for placing a quick order. The fact Microsoft created an environment where this was even an option for Amazon demonstrates how bad things really are.

Anyway, going to trade in the 950XL for a Note 7.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Well Microsoft has finally beat me into submission. The new CEO's utter indifference to consumers will have me switching to Android today.

While there were many things that led to this - Not having basic apps i need, lack of VR support, exiting the consumer space, having better MS apps on competing platforms
, etc., losing the Amazon app was the straw that broke the camels back.

Sure, the Amazon app sucked but it was much more convenient than the mobile website for placing a quick order. The fact Microsoft created an environment where this was even an option for Amazon demonstrates how bad things really are.

What do you mean lack of VR? There are compatible VR headsets and VR apps and games in the store.

Galway 77

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: I switched and I'm not disappointed.

I've been using my new gently used Nexus 5X for a week while on vacation. I have it running Android N Beta Preview 2. I have never owned an Android device and gave this model a try for a couple of reasons. First, my 950 on the latest Windows 10 Insider Fast Build was and is still buggy. Way buggy. Two, Android is finally starting to do some things with the OS that we're used to in Windows and I wanted to see if the grass is greener on the other side. It is and I'm happy. I could list all the reasons but they're numerous so here are the top two: the rear finger print reader and the speed. I'm happy to give more details and I still will be using my 950, but it might have seen the last of its full days use from me.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Are you still on Android or did you switch back?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
That is so weird! My 640XL has never done that. It always stays on the current screen (usually Maps and occasionally Podcasts). I wonder why the 950XL does that??

Sorry...wasn't clear. It is the screen on my truck, not phone screen. And it wasn't awful...it probably didn't take ad long is I remember.

Paul Stoner

May 23, 2015
Visit site
The Parting of Ways...

Well Everyone, it has been one heck of a ride with ups, downs, and complete and utter disappointment...

It started with my Lumia 1520, then 'upgraded' to the Lumia 950. Since then it has been all downhill. Empty promises from Microsoft, hardly any worthwhile developers standing up and taking advantage of UWP, apps disappearing left and right, while Android and Apple hold the market without so much as a scratch. The only thing my Lumia 950 is doing right now, is putting a monthly dent in my wallet.

I will still be using Windows 10 on my 2-in-1, but no longer for mobile...trading it in tomorrow for a better phone so I can actually do my job and enjoy all the apps and games that everyone else enjoys. Just sick of playing the waiting game for 3 years and getting nothing out of it...

Good Luck to You All. I hope someday Microsoft figures it out with mobile. Maybe things might change...who knows? But for now, time to fly...

Last edited:

halflifecrysis

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I made the switch back to Android after nearly a 3 year absence.

I was using a Lumia 1520 10586.545, now a Nexus 6 Marshmallow 6.0.1 (not 6P) and I have to say I'm happy. 1.5/ 2 day day battery life which I find acceptable and it is true that all the MS apps feel and even look better on Android the W10. All of sudden I'm watching HBO at lunch, playing with Periscope (which I love), chatting with friends on snap chat and the ONLY thing I miss is the double tap wake but there is a way to get the N6 to do it from what I've read with a root. On the other hand I like the Marshmallow feature of not asking for my lock screen pin code based on approved locations i.e. home and work.

The phone itself feels better in my hand and it even weighs less. I thought I'd miss my camera on the 1520 which has more MP, but the truth of the matter is the 1520 takes too long to focus and the camera software has been buggy since leaving 8.1. Lastly I thought I'd miss removable storage... I don't. It's like insurance that you never cash in on. I have so much online storage for free that I just don't care as much about it any more (take or leave it). The N6 is available in 32/64/128gb I believe.

I appreciate what MS is trying to do and I sacrificed a lot of good years trying to support the cause, but this transition was long over due.

I wish everyone luck on their W10 journey.

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
On the other hand I like the Marshmallow feature of not asking for my lock screen pin code based on approved locations i.e. home and work.

And the lack of this kind of simple but innovative thinking when it comes to their mobile OS is what will always make Microsoft an also ran in mobile.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
And the lack of this kind of simple but innovative thinking when it comes to their mobile OS is what will always make Microsoft an also ran in mobile.

I hardly think it's a lack of innovative thinking. I'm sure they have tons of great ideas that they can't implement because they are so busy stabilizing the platform and trying to improve battery life. That's the problem when you rewrite your mobile platform three times (7, 8 and 10): you spend so much time creating a stable base that new features can't be implemented. Of course, that's just a guess: I have no real idea what's on their product road map.

Microsoft has a number of things that I think are simple, and yet innovative. Things such as when I turn wireless off, the ability to say "turn off, but turn back on in one hour". I really miss that on my Android. I could live without the auto-unlocking of my phone, esp. since I have a fingerprint reader on my HTC 10 that is fast.

The real problem making them an also ran? Apps. It's what makes a platform tick and with such low market share it's hard to convince developers to build apps for the platform because there's no return on investment. They came to the game too late and were never able to make a real play at it. They started to get some momentum and then lost it through a series of missteps: rewriting the platform, lack of new hardware. But mostly they weren't able to get developers to make apps.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
For now, I'm switching to Android. My 822 is just plain old and there's nothing really in the pipeline from either a hardware or OS perspective. The "final straw" was when someone gave my wife their old Galaxy 3 last week, so she could run MFP. The Galaxy 3 was like an insane speed demon. I know I'm going to miss the simplicity of MS but I can't go without smartphone-ish features while waiting for MS to get it together. I'll keep my eyes open on what MS does down the road. I've been very pleased with my Surface Pro 3 and really even with my RT, so no MS beef here.

halflifecrysis

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
The apps are mostly what caused me to switch. I got really peeved when they pulled down the Chase app (because I deposit a lot of checks and now have to drive to the bank to do it) and then I started seeing that there were all kinds of cool tech out there to be controlled by phone and I was skipping on it because my phone could not get the app. This all leads to making me (a reasonably tech forward guy) miss out because I wanted to carry the cross for MS in hopes it would succeed in mobile. Apps from the main stream manufactures of garage door openers, baby monitors, home theater receivers, blu-ray players/tv, home automation and lighting, security, automobile integration etc. and the list goes on.

I'll continue to support W10PC and Xbox 110% but the good news I can support those things just as good on Android as Windows mobile.

UPDATE: And... the Amazon app getting pulled was yet another factor!

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So after returning the 950 earlier this week, I went back to my iPhone. Then I read a post about someone having great battery life on the 640xl on W10M, and had the idea of switching to my 640 to test that battery life thing and it's actually accurate on my end too. Somehow the battery life on the 640 is better than the 950 I had.

Those 2.5 lacking apps are slowly getting to me though, so I'm looking forward to having the Honor 8 in my hands next week. The .5 is for Instagram stories, I'm missing them so I have been turning on my iPhone to watch them before they expire. Aside from that, it's not so bad to dabble in W10M...but I'm refusing to install the AU still. I'll probably install it after I have the Honor for a bit, but I'll rather not install it on my DD.

iwanbo

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
losing the Amazon app was the straw that broke the camels back.

I went from a 950 to a Note 7. Couldn't be happier. I've been loyal to WinPhone since WP7, but just couldn't take it anymore. Just like you, Amazon dropping support was the final straw. The day I got that email, is the same day I went down to my carrier and didn't care what it costed me to get rid of my 950. I was done.

I was never active on these forums, but I always read the site for WP news & rumors, but I'm done with it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss