Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(9668900)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
So I got the honor yesterday and it's pretty cool. Getting used to EMUI is interesting. I'm liking it. It's too early to say about battery life. Liking how it performs even though it has some quirks, such as suggesting that I should stop some apps because they are power intensive.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
That's the kind of thing I'm not fond of... Many of these UIs would rather clean the RAM of apps rather than optimise usage. But people seem to be in general OK with it.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
That's the kind of thing I'm not fond of... Many of these UIs would rather clean the RAM of apps rather than optimise usage. But people seem to be in general OK with it.

Yeah, I can understand why. It can be helpful though. I like that there's options to not allow certain apps to run when the screen is off.

anon(9668900)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I can understand why. It can be helpful though. I like that there's options to not allow certain apps to run when the screen is off.
I used to install an app called clean master to do just that (not that it did work too greatly) while using a budget Ice-cream sandwich device many years ago. Android was so **** then Look at where they are now!

melhiore

May 5, 2015
Visit site
I used to install an app called clean master to do just that (not that it did work too greatly) while using a budget Ice-cream sandwich device many years ago. Android was so **** then Look at where they are now!

Well, Android is still pile of poo but they do have impressive market share....

melhiore

May 5, 2015
Visit site
In the words of Pauline Hanson - Please explain?

Not sure if I can explain in the way that will make you happy. Let me try.

Android happened to be the tool to collect massive amount of the data related to the users. Very often way to much data. Not that other system don't do that but Google is famous of collecting mountains of data. As Android is more and more popular platform (like Windows OS at some point) there is more and more active malware for Android. OS and security updates are crap. Permission system does not allow you to manipulate to much - is there but not very user friendly. In MY PERSONAL opinion interface is dull and boring. Multitasking is not great and system require more and more resources to work well giving you very limited amount of choice when is coming to picking up the device. List goes on...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if I can explain in the way that will make you happy. Let me try.

Android happened to be the tool to collect massive amount of the data related to the users. Very often way to much data. Not that other system don't do that but Google is famous of collecting mountains of data. As Android is more and more popular platform (like Windows OS at some point) there is more and more active malware for Android. OS and security updates are crap. Permission system does not allow you to manipulate to much - is there but not very user friendly. In MY PERSONAL opinion interface is dull and boring. Multitasking is not great and system require more and more resources to work well giving you very limited amount of choice when is coming to picking up the device. List goes on...

As the saying goes, to each their own.

I could point out a few things regarding your concerns over security but I can't be bothered as you're not really interested. As for data, all the companies do it, including MS. There's always points about what data is collected but that's entirely up to the user at the end of the day. If you don't like it, don't accept the EULA and don't use the apps/services.

I personally have no issues with Android. Interface or otherwise. Sure anything and everything can be improved upon but that's what updates are for or launcher if you're so inclined. Who knows where we're heading? Interface is a personal thing anyway.

I use Android for phone, I've used WP, I use Windows 10 on my laptop. I've loved technology from a fairly early age and I'm not that young anymore, I'm always open to new things. I don't closet myself into any one way of thinking.

melhiore

May 5, 2015
Visit site
As the saying goes, to each their own.

You are correct.

I've loved technology from a fairly early age and I'm not that young anymore, I'm always open to new things. I don't closet myself into any one way of thinking.

I think we are in the same boat. I am not that young and I am open to new things. I was using Android since HTC One. I am working in the security/cybersecurity related stuff. And as for today Android is no longer the product I would use any more...

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I can get that. I think Android is pretty good too now. Doze is an improvement but should be improved some more.

rinosaur

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
As for data, all the companies do it, including MS. There's always points about what data is collected but that's entirely up to the user at the end of the day. If you don't like it, don't accept the EULA and don't use the apps/services.

But the issue that some of us don't like is that Google is the largest advertisement company in the world and Apple and MS are nothing in comparison. Apple/MS could still use your data to some benefit of their own but it is nothing like what Google has a motive to do. Yes, I heard this "restrict permissions" stuff but then the OS and the core apps don't really function well. For me the switch was to iOS partly due to this reason.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
So, what seems to be a good deal showed up for me - going to check out a black Xperia Z3 Compact tomorrow. If its condition is as good as in the ad and as the seller said, I'll grab it.
Unfortunately it's not going to get Android 7 officially, but the smaller size drew me to it (among other things). If I do buy it I'll post my impressions.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So, what seems to be a good deal showed up for me - going to check out a black Xperia Z3 Compact tomorrow. If its condition is as good as in the ad and as the seller said, I'll grab it.
Unfortunately it's not going to get Android 7 officially, but the smaller size drew me to it (among other things). If I do buy it I'll post my impressions.

Ooh please do. I always wanted to try that.

Srikanth Chilivery

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: Why all hate microsoft windows phone?

I am a user of Windows phone and very much liked the simplicity of the UI. But due to lack of essential apps i am now thinking of having the google experience.
Also even microsoft is not interested it seems.
Ex. I use Lumia 720, Through outlook app we cant send files(except images and videos) as attachments. There are many workarounds but this is not the way a smart phone should be.

everton2004

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
So, after 13 years or so of being a WM user (including a short defection to Android), I'm finally calling it a day as far as WIndows Mobile is concerned. Just placed an order for a Moto X Play to replace my Lumia 1020 and 1520 (both running WM10).

I started back in the early days of WM2003 with an Orange SPV E200 (HTC Tanager) then upgraded every year or so (handsets such as the Motorola MPX200 and MPX220, HTC HD2, Samsung Omnia, T-Mobile MDAs, Sony Xperia X1 to name but many!). Been from Windows SP2002 to SP2003, WM5, WM6, WM8, WM8,1 and now WM10. Had various levels of enjoyment from using the various handsets and OS's.

Having given WM10 some time to show and improvement, the future still looks a bit hazy. We still have the "app gap" to certain extents although some of the major apps are now starting to filter through (Facebook being one). I have a 1520 which needs repairing due to a failed earpiece (still works fine over speakerphone/bluetooth) so had to revert back to my old 1020.

Now performance has always been a bit hit and miss with WM10 on the 1020 - hence why MS omitted it from the upgrade list. However, over the last week or so it has been eating it's battery from 100% to 0% in a matter of hours. The OS says Edge was eating it so turned off background for Edge. No change, now apparently Facebook is doing the same.....you can see where this is going! I think this was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak. I have used, supported and defended Windows Phone/Mobile in all it's guises but I don't think I can do it any longer. While WM10 is a great OS, I just think MS left it way too late by tinkering with WM5/6 for far too long. By the time they had come up with a competitor for Android/iOS they were just too far behind. Now we have the annoying issues of apps being available from the Google/Apple app stores but no sign on the Windows store.

I think I've given MS plenty of time to get things right, but I think now they kind of have gotten it right they are just too far behind. Developers are just not making the apps. So it's bye to WM for now - I still have my 1520 to tinker with and see how it matures. I am still also running W10 on the desktop and use O365/Outlook.com etc so not exactly deserting MS!

Maybe in the future I may return to the WM fold, but for now I'm defecting to the dark side (Android - not that dark side!).

ramyZgHR

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

I have Z3c in black. If you like "smaller" phones like me, it will be great for you! Android works great, and the battery life is exceptional! Drawbacks are that in some cases after upgrading to MM there are chances that top of the screen won't work and you will be unable to pull notification area. Happened to me and as I read it's common fault. Mine still has warranty so Sony repaired it for free, new screen. So, be shure before you buy anything that it has warranty.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I have Z3c in black. If you like "smaller" phones like me, it will be great for you! Android works great, and the battery life is exceptional! Drawbacks are that in some cases after upgrading to MM there are chances that top of the screen won't work and you will be unable to pull notification area. Happened to me and as I read it's common fault. Mine still has warranty so Sony repaired it for free, new screen. So, be shure before you buy anything that it has warranty.

I ended up getting the phone. It came with Android 6 and the screen works fine - good thing you still had warranty! This one has too, until November I guess. I've been using it since yesterday and I'll post my thoughts soon.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I ended up getting the phone. It came with Android 6 and the screen works fine - good thing you still had warranty! This one has too, until November I guess. I've been using it since yesterday and I'll post my thoughts soon.

I'm so looking forward to them!

So after almost a week, I think I might be at a crossroads for the first time in my phone trials (or madness, take your pick). With the Honor 8, I finally have a phone that has great battery life (and no, not just great for an Android phone), it has sometimes exceeded my iPhone SE. I'm liking the cameras, and I'm pretty sure that it is the smallest 5.2" phone that I have ever owned. I'm at a crossroads because of the size (in this case, just the length only).

I went to a baseball game yesterday and I found that I didn't feel comfortable with it in my jeans pocket because what if I jumped around (which I did do a lot of) and it just hopped out of my pocket? It stayed in my purse, which was kind of annoying because having to take it out of my purse to take a picture is an extra thing (I have a smartphone pocket).

The Honor has great battery life + simplicity + customization, my top things for any phone of mine to have. Should I give that up for the X Compact, which will probably be over what I would want to pay for a phone ever, just because it is smaller? It's been proven in several reviews that the iPhone SE is better than the Z5 Compact, so that's not even an option for me. Or should I give up on wanting customization and just stick with the iPhone SE for size reasons?

It feels weird to be at a crossroads for once LOL. The Honor is not perfect, but it's issues are: fickle notifications(notifications are not working correctly with some apps), auto-brightness is random, the glass back is slippery (it is very prone to sliding off of surfaces). Those are valid issues, but out of those, the notification one is the most annoying but not as annoying as some other things I have dealt with on other phones. This phone can actually Doze correctly. It doesn't wake in my purse or pocket (there's a setting for that, and it works like a charm).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium