Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
the glass back is slippery (it is very prone to sliding off of surfaces)

I had this problem with the Nexus 4. I solved it by installing a screen protector on the back. It took care of the slipperiness, plus extra protection on any glass surface is a good thing!

anon(9668900)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I had this problem with the Nexus 4. I solved it by installing a screen protector on the back. It took care of the slipperiness, plus extra protection on any glass surface is a good thing!
I got a lovely Spigen for my OnePlus 3. The metal on the back was quite slippery (although it is really great in the hand, I must admit) and now it's alright.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Nicee.
That's good to know. My pre-order came with a case but that is backordered. Ugh. I'll see if I can find some on Amazon.

I got a lovely Spigen for my OnePlus 3. The metal on the back was quite slippery (although it is really great in the hand, I must admit) and now it's alright.

That's awesome. Sounds like it was worth it for sure.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thought about it, and weighing everything, I'm going to keep the Honor 8. It's a very cool phone and I could see myself with it for the rest of this year possibly. Personally, I would have liked a super compact phone, but this is probably one of the smallest, if not the smallest 5.2" phone around. It's actually thinner and less wider than the Lumia 640 is. Sony is very hit or miss these days, and they are kind of risky to bank on.

Ordered a new case which will be coming on Friday, thankfully. At some point, I will get the back glass replaced as well so I can have a scratch free phone. If the backordered case is available though, that would be a surprising shock. lol.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm so looking forward to them!

So after almost a week, I think I might be at a crossroads for the first time in my phone trials (or madness, take your pick). With the Honor 8, I finally have a phone that has great battery life (and no, not just great for an Android phone), it has sometimes exceeded my iPhone SE. I'm liking the cameras, and I'm pretty sure that it is the smallest 5.2" phone that I have ever owned. I'm at a crossroads because of the size (in this case, just the length only).

I went to a baseball game yesterday and I found that I didn't feel comfortable with it in my jeans pocket because what if I jumped around (which I did do a lot of) and it just hopped out of my pocket? It stayed in my purse, which was kind of annoying because having to take it out of my purse to take a picture is an extra thing (I have a smartphone pocket).

The Honor has great battery life + simplicity + customization, my top things for any phone of mine to have. Should I give that up for the X Compact, which will probably be over what I would want to pay for a phone ever, just because it is smaller? It's been proven in several reviews that the iPhone SE is better than the Z5 Compact, so that's not even an option for me. Or should I give up on wanting customization and just stick with the iPhone SE for size reasons?

It feels weird to be at a crossroads for once LOL. The Honor is not perfect, but it's issues are: fickle notifications(notifications are not working correctly with some apps), auto-brightness is random, the glass back is slippery (it is very prone to sliding off of surfaces). Those are valid issues, but out of those, the notification one is the most annoying but not as annoying as some other things I have dealt with on other phones. This phone can actually Doze correctly. It doesn't wake in my purse or pocket (there's a setting for that, and it works like a charm).

I had to search about this Honor since they are not sold in my country (not surprised lol). It has a great design for me, although big. Obviously I can't say anything about user experience. I saw that you already made your mind up and decided to keep it, which is nice! I bet it's kind of a shock to use it coming from an iPhone SE, but if it does what you need, why not? Also, we must keep in mind that there's no such thing as perfect phone. There will always be something to complain about but unless it's too much for one to handle, it's fine.

About Sony, they are just crazy. They release some of the best and most beautiful phones out there, but they are overpriced and replaced by a new model just 6 months later. Surprisingly, they seem to be getting some profit now (at least from what I read). Not much, but at least not losing tons of cash. So far they haven't shown any sign of throwing the towel and have insisted that they are not leaving the mobile business, which is nice... as long as it remains true lol. I can say that I'm happy that I ended up going for the Z3C as a compact choice instead of an iPhone. I see now that I'd miss all the customization waaay to much. It's a matter of using what fits your needs in the end. Hope you enjoy the Honor!

Btw, do you know where I could post those impressions of mine? Right here, in this thread? It's a bit long :winktongue:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I had to search about this Honor since they are not sold in my country (not surprised lol). It has a great design for me, although big. Obviously I can't say anything about user experience. I saw that you already made your mind up and decided to keep it, which is nice! I bet it's kind of a shock to use it coming from an iPhone SE, but if it does what you need, why not? Also, we must keep in mind that there's no such thing as perfect phone. There will always be something to complain about but unless it's too much for one to handle, it's fine.

About Sony, they are just crazy. They release some of the best and most beautiful phones out there, but they are overpriced and replaced by a new model just 6 months later. Surprisingly, they seem to be getting some profit now (at least from what I read). Not much, but at least not losing tons of cash. So far they haven't shown any sign of throwing the towel and have insisted that they are not leaving the mobile business, which is nice... as long as it remains true lol. I can say that I'm happy that I ended up going for the Z3C as a compact choice instead of an iPhone. I see now that I'd miss all the customization waaay to much. It's a matter of using what fits your needs in the end. Hope you enjoy the Honor!

Btw, do you know where I could post those impressions of mine? Right here, in this thread? It's a bit long :winktongue:
Yes you should post it here! It can help someone and I'm very curious. As you can probably see, there have been some long posts in here, mine included.

I do agree with you. Sony is really crazy. I wanted the XA since I first heard about it but then reading and hearing about the awful battery life, that dream was killed.
Haha yeah, the difference is serious but I'm really liking it. The Honor seems huge, even though it is, in comparison to a 4" phone lol, but it is on the smaller side for a 5.2" phone. It's shorter than pretty much most of the other 5.2" phones (Idol 4s, Blackberry DTEK50, Lumia 950, Nexus 5x, I can go on. Fun fact: the Sony Xperia Z3 is 0.03 wider, and 0.02 taller) You're so right about the perfect phone thing, even though we do aim for close to it though. At a point, I thought it was the SE, but after a month, I was missing customization SO much.

Anyways, please share?

Last edited:

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Finally, moving on from windows and bidding a farewell to my 730.

I have bought a new Samsung galaxy, which i will be replacing with my lumia 730 as the primary and daily driver for me. I had stuck with windows phone since 2012 with the launch of lumia 520>Lumia 730 and these 4 years just have been truly awesome.the major push for me towards windows phone were the butter smooth navigation and being virus proof, I had been rational all this time that sooner or later the app gap will fill up and be par with the android but it just doesn't seem to happen.

It just happened that i found myself going through Samsung devices at a store and was amazed by the response and the UI of it. So after doing my research about the current state of android and the marshmallow update i decided to buy samsung galaxy j5 which is a low end smartphone with a quad core snapdragon 410 processor clocked at 1.2ghz , 5" super amoled display, and 2gb of ram,with adrenno 306, it was a significant upgrade form my lumia 730 which had a SD 400 processor and adreno 305 GPU. I didnt wanted to invest a lot and was satisfied with the specs ,to get this device at 11K roughly 160$.

After initial boot up, it was already running android marshmallow v 6.0.1 with a security level patch of 1 june 2016. Soon after connecting to the WIFI i was notified about software updates pending of approx 50MB. the update downloaded and installed , during installation i just realized what have i been missing so long. the Animation was so sweet and colorful in comparison to lumia devices. The update installed quickly and everything was up and running again. i faced a few difficulties moving my contacts and data from lumia but eventually got through it and installed all the necessary apps.

I am not sure whether i will in coming future return to windows phone ecosystem because android has swallowed me whole and i am just loving it. for me this move from lumia to an android device was like upgrading from a Black&White Television to a Colored one. I have now realised that windows devices are seriously made for proffesiona;ls and serious productivity in sight. windows phone lacks that fun part where you can play all over the home screen.

Now i can enjoy clash of clans, which honestly i haven't laid my hands on yet ( xD my inner self is so embarrassed) , next will be gangster Vegas by Game loft (which is a new launch) + many other beautiful apps.
:smile::cool:

PS: lumia 730 will tug along as far it is supported by Microsoft over windows 10 updates, and i ill be testing preview builds on it from now on , cheers!!

Last edited:

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Finally, moving on from windows and bidding a farewell to my 730.

I ended up going with a Galaxy S5 also and my experience was similar to abhishek's. As a contrast, I only use my device for professional use. I was able to use Android's native Exchange support to sync my contacts and calendar with outlook.com like I did on WP. I don't use the Google services at all. The S5 even has the blinking message light that I've missed since the days of my HTC Touch Pro. All of my MS apps (Outlook, OneNote, OneDrive) were available on Android. OneDrive even syncs my camera roll just like it did on WP. And lets not even compare Cortana to Google Now, lest we sully the MS name. Even with an older device like the S5, it was jaw dropping how much I had been missing, largely due to improvements in Android over the last couple of major revisions. Oh, and lets not forget, now I go to Android Central to read up on news, so that isn't much change either and it's still "in the family".

Vikram Singh Antaal

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I also have Lumia 925 nice piece of hardware but if this is not gonna get the Windows 10 updat I think we have to really think hard before purchasing any Windows device now. Windows 7 and windows 7.5 were not updated to Windows 8 and more most of Windows 8 and windows 8.1 are not updated to Windows 10. Where as all other operating systems are automatically updated to next version may it be android,bb or apple 🍎 this is the legacy of Windows now throw the product in the market and leave it. Improve yourself you are already left behind if this continued windows phone will soon b extinct.
I am leaving cos I am fed up of microsoft attitude if not updating own devices and will never own a window phone in future.

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Thinking of Leaving | Switching platforms...comment here!

I have two Windows phones 521 and 730 still. Have not use both in over a year. I current switch between Galaxy S6 and iPhone 6S+. Plan on purchasing a matte black iPhone 7+ 256GB when the sims free version is release. I was hoping that Microsoft would use Android Apps in Windows Mobile but that does not seem to be happening. I think Microsoft just did not get it with smartphones and left the opening to Google and Apple for two years before Microsoft started again competing in the marketplace but did it slowly and made some serious mistakes like depending on U.S. carriers to sell their a windows mobile phones and not outright buy or fund critical apps for windows.

Both Apple and Android have made advancements to there mobile software that Microsoft cannot go especially in the area of "apps". 1% of the marketplace is a joke! Apple may have 25% of the smartphone market but makes 83% of the total smartphone profit! Microsoft should of went upscale and made even more expensive phones then Apple to gain status and become a luxury item instead of trying gain market share with cheap phones!

Last edited:

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I also have Lumia 925 nice piece of hardware but if this is not gonna get the Windows 10 updat I think we have to really think hard before purchasing any Windows device now. Windows 7 and windows 7.5 were not updated to Windows 8 and more most of Windows 8 and windows 8.1 are not updated to Windows 10. Where as all other operating systems are automatically updated to next version may it be android,bb or apple �� this is the legacy of Windows now throw the product in the market and leave it. Improve yourself you are already left behind if this continued windows phone will soon b extinct.
I am leaving cos I am fed up of microsoft attitude if not updating own devices and will never own a window phone in future.

While I understand your frustration, what you are saying is not actually accurate.

Not all iPhones get updated to the newest iOS version, Most Android phones never see updates and BB phones wont get updates anymore because the new BB phones are Android now so all the old phones were left in the dust.

Plus, you can update your 925 with a quick registry hack if you really wanted W10 on it.

anon(9668900)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
There's something very interesting I noticed. The Grove app on Android, designed to look like a UWA, feels and works better than the Groove UWA. The Groove Android app passed through Astoria would be the perfect Groove, in terms of design, feel, and fluidity.

This is just an example. Perhaps it's because I'm using a phone with SD820, but Windows Phone and the Microsoft apps on it are nothing in comparison to Android in terms of functionality and fluidity.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 Mobile build 14915 Discussion (Redstone 2; Fast Ring)

The app gap has finally got me. I haven't done it yet, but I am looking to pick up a Galaxy s6 as soon as I find a used one in good condition. I do love the interface on Win10M, and I much prefer it to the alternatives, but with Microsoft focusing on business users now, and me using the L950 as a regular consumer/user, I'm just not getting access to the things I want. Even Dominos are removing their pizza app (in the UK at least). I've stuck with Windows phones ever since the Lumia 710 i.e. many years now, but for non-business users, it's not really moving forward, the apps aren't coming despite Microsoft's best efforts with conversion tools and UWP. For business I can see the case for Continuum and I like that, I think it's a good idea, but I'll probably never use it myself.

As I said, not gone yet, but probably going in the near future.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

The app gap has finally got me. I haven't done it yet, but I am looking to pick up a Galaxy s6 as soon as I find a used one in good condition. I do love the interface on Win10M, and I much prefer it to the alternatives, but with Microsoft focusing on business users now, and me using the L950 as a regular consumer/user, I'm just not getting access to the things I want. Even Dominos are removing their pizza app (in the UK at least). I've stuck with Windows phones ever since the Lumia 710 i.e. many years now, but for non-business users, it's not really moving forward, the apps aren't coming despite Microsoft's best efforts with conversion tools and UWP. For business I can see the case for Continuum and I like that, I think it's a good idea, but I'll probably never use it myself.

Sure would be a shame to lose a good man.

If you do decide to try to another route, I believe you are going about it the right way, by buying a used inexpensive model - just in case things turn around for W10M. With R2; the introduction of more OEM suppliers (hopefully); maybe we can get a little attention from the developers in the future, and if you go...your departure will be for just a short time?

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

Don't feel bad, Speccy. I bought a Galaxy Note 7 from Verizon because I desperately wanted a Phablet and I couldn't get the 950 XL from Verizon.

So what I plan is to move the sim to my ICON every now and then, get the Insider Update see how its doin drive it for a week or so and then jump back on my Note 7. I have no way of forecasting whether I'll ever come back to Windows and STAY or just abandon my Little Jewel ICON and leave it a fond memory. :cry:

Peace. Alan
ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 2, 14915.1000.] :winktongue:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
You are correct @KSGx12. There is usually a difference.

So iOS 10 comes out today, and I have been waiting for it for a little while now, especially for "deleting" the stock apps I don't care for. I just learned that I can hide apps with my Honor 8, which is pretty much the same thing since once you hide them, you can't find them in search. I think I'm still going to update my SE, but I think I don't care as much now because of this feature?

Finally getting a case fixed the slip part.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site

Unfortunately I'll be using the proceeds of the sale of my Lumia 950 to put towards the s6. I won't rule out coming back to Windows phones at some point in the future, my wife has a Lumia 930 with the latest Redstone build, so I'll continue to keep one eye on whats going on in the Windows mobile world. I already know I'm gonna hate the interface, but I'm hoping that having the apps I want will make up for it. The reason for choosing the Galaxy s6 is that it seems it has a decent camera, I wouldn't want to compromise too much in this area as I've been able to take some great pics with the 950, and would sorely miss a half decent shooter.

One thing I will miss is the forums. Because there a relatively few WP users, the forums really do have a sense of community, I'm sure this spirit won't be quite the same on an Android forum where there will be massively more users, but we'll see I guess. I'll keep posting here until the time comes though.

Thanks to everyone for all the help over the last year or so. I may have been able to help the odd person myself from time to time :eek:)

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site

Has anyone ever made a "Mind the app gap" sign in the style of the London subway signs? Then we could post it whenever a new Windows 10 Mobile user came aboard.

Another one I wish I had the talent to do is the SpaceX rocket explosion with a Galaxy Note 7 photoshopped in place of the rocket.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Thanks to everyone for all the help over the last year or so. I may have been able to help the odd person myself from time to time :eek:)
Ah too bad, you'll be missed. I remember hitting 'like' on quite a few of your posts. Hope Android treats you well. BTW, among the reasons for choosing an S6 should be "..and it doesn't explode". :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6