Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
You are correct @KSGx12. There is usually a difference.

So iOS 10 comes out today, and I have been waiting for it for a little while now, especially for "deleting" the stock apps I don't care for. I just learned that I can hide apps with my Honor 8, which is pretty much the same thing since once you hide them, you can't find them in search. I think I'm still going to update my SE, but I think I don't care as much now because of this feature?

Finally getting a case fixed the slip part.
Hey, libra89. Just out of curiosity, are you having any issues with notifications on the Huawei phone? I've always had issues with that, regardless of what I change in the settings. Thanks.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Hey, libra89. Just out of curiosity, are you having any issues with notifications on the Huawei phone? I've always had issues with that, regardless of what I change in the settings. Thanks.
It depends on the app. Most apps do notify me most of the time after adding it to the protected list. Tapatalk notifies me 90% of the time. I think that is the only app that comes to mind for me. I get all of the notifications for the other ones.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 Mobile build 14915 Discussion (Redstone 2; Fast Ring)

Unfortunately I'll be using the proceeds of the sale of my Lumia 950 to put towards the s6. I won't rule out coming back to Windows phones at some point in the future, my wife has a Lumia 930 with the latest Redstone build, so I'll continue to keep one eye on whats going on in the Windows mobile world. I already know I'm gonna hate the interface, but I'm hoping that having the apps I want will make up for it. The reason for choosing the Galaxy s6 is that it seems it has a decent camera, I wouldn't want to compromise too much in this area as I've been able to take some great pics with the 950, and would sorely miss a half decent shooter.

One thing I will miss is the forums. Because there a relatively few WP users, the forums really do have a sense of community, I'm sure this spirit won't be quite the same on an Android forum where there will be massively more users, but we'll see I guess. I'll keep posting here until the time comes though.

Thanks to everyone for all the help over the last year or so. I may have been able to help the odd person myself from time to time :eek:)
Don't be a stranger! A lot of people here on Windows Central are on Android Central too, and Android Central has a great community as well.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 Mobile build 14915 Discussion (Redstone 2; Fast Ring)

Unfortunately I'll be using the proceeds of the sale of my Lumia 950 to put towards the s6. I won't rule out coming back to Windows phones at some point in the future, my wife has a Lumia 930 with the latest Redstone build, so I'll continue to keep one eye on whats going on in the Windows mobile world. I already know I'm gonna hate the interface, but I'm hoping that having the apps I want will make up for it. The reason for choosing the Galaxy s6 is that it seems it has a decent camera, I wouldn't want to compromise too much in this area as I've been able to take some great pics with the 950, and would sorely miss a half decent shooter.

One thing I will miss is the forums. Because there a relatively few WP users, the forums really do have a sense of community, I'm sure this spirit won't be quite the same on an Android forum where there will be massively more users, but we'll see I guess. I'll keep posting here until the time comes though.

Thanks to everyone for all the help over the last year or so. I may have been able to help the odd person myself from time to time :eek:)
You got THAT right partner! :cry:

But for now until my recall replacement is shipped, I'm the Happy Dog !!!

Peace. Alan
ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 2, 14915.1000.] :winktongue:

paul87russell

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Love my 1520, but then the screen acted up and had ghost touches which i couldn't bear. And the market doesn't have a new phone that will cater to what i want. So i bought a Note 7, i miss the keyboard of windows and cortana, since my note 7 has minor lags in their keyboard which i don't understand why it is happening since the specs are good, and now there's an issue about their batteries. So now i'm contemplating on taking the Iphone 7 Plus because of their dual cameras....

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So now i'm contemplating on taking the Iphone 7 Plus because of their dual cameras....
Hope you don't need a 3.5mm headphone port, or if you do, hope you don't mind using an adapter. That's definitely keeping me away from the iPhone 7. The iPhone 6S versions dropped $100 in price though, so there's always that.

svgtom

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to give Windows one more go and will probably get the 650 shortly. I can see myself ditching it though within 6 - 8 months depending what MS eventually announces (if they do announce something), if there are no decent mid-range phones on the horizon, and/or if the app situation continues to get worse.

lowiii

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
That's it then! After years of support and love for the Windows Mobile family, I'm about the leave the ecosystem for my personal use.can imagine - as such all my work is also Microsoft-focused - but for the daily-personal-phone-use I'm switching to Android.

It's the little things together. Quality of regional/national apps is going down rapidly or retreating entirely. Missing apps from all kinds of services are bugging me more and more. Also stability of the OS and apps is not what it is anymore. And Microsoft pulling plugs publicly also doesn't help.

Don't get me wrong - I will continue to use all other Microsoft products, including but not limited to the MS Band, Xbox, Surface, and all software you

While I still love the OS and really believe it's the best of current 3 out there, on personal use I have to pull back. I will continue to use my 950XL in business though - showing off Continuum and the ecosystem as a whole still beats it.

But I feel I can finally play around again. Having the VR stuff (and not just 1 or 2 apps and a crappy holder), and all major decent apps, will feel as a relieve. Gain info and control on the car by mobile phone. Watch TV and other previously DRM-blocked content, actually working biometric security and all, on my new S7 Edge. I'm curious. Ofcourse it'll have cons as well, and the least I 'trust' is Google/Android, but I'm curious what it'll bring me.

While keeping the 950XL for business purposes on the side, I'll keep my interest and see what happens next. but for some reason, all recent reports really got to me. Am I really loosing faith in Microsoft on this part?

anon(5376293)

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Finally jumping ship to Android; how do the Galaxy S7 specs compare?

With the recent slew of discontinued Windows Mobile apps; after multiple Windows 10 updates completely wrecking my WiFi connectivity; after seeing Microsoft apps function better on Android; I'm going to jump ship to an Android phone.

My first thought immediately went to the Galaxy S7 Edge. It's a sexy phone. But when I went to compare the technical specs, I was surprised to find they actually seem very similar to the Lumia Icon. Considering the >2 year difference in age between them, I was wondering if anyone could point out something I might be obviously missing.

What specs on the Galaxy S7 make it appreciably better than my current Lumia Icon? I'm admittedly looking for some justification on my planned purchase, before pulling the trigger. I don't want to "upgrade" my phone horizontally; I'd actually like to see an improvement in performance and features.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Finally jumping ship to Android; how do the Galaxy S7 specs compare?

Specs are relatively unimportant. What matters is the overall experience. Specs have not increased appreciably that last while, as it has somewhat plateaued.

The important difference between the Icon and the S7 is WP vs Android. Make sure you're ready to do that. And if you do get and Android, you won't find much better specs than the S7 anyway.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
That's it then! After years of support and love for the Windows Mobile family, I'm about the leave the ecosystem for my personal use.can imagine - as such all my work is also Microsoft-focused - but for the daily-personal-phone-use I'm switching to Android.

It's the little things together. Quality of regional/national apps is going down rapidly or retreating entirely. Missing apps from all kinds of services are bugging me more and more. Also stability of the OS and apps is not what it is anymore. And Microsoft pulling plugs publicly also doesn't help.

Don't get me wrong - I will continue to use all other Microsoft products, including but not limited to the MS Band, Xbox, Surface, and all software you

While I still love the OS and really believe it's the best of current 3 out there, on personal use I have to pull back. I will continue to use my 950XL in business though - showing off Continuum and the ecosystem as a whole still beats it.

But I feel I can finally play around again. Having the VR stuff (and not just 1 or 2 apps and a crappy holder), and all major decent apps, will feel as a relieve. Gain info and control on the car by mobile phone. Watch TV and other previously DRM-blocked content, actually working biometric security and all, on my new S7 Edge. I'm curious. Ofcourse it'll have cons as well, and the least I 'trust' is Google/Android, but I'm curious what it'll bring me.

While keeping the 950XL for business purposes on the side, I'll keep my interest and see what happens next. but for some reason, all recent reports really got to me. Am I really loosing faith in Microsoft on this part?
Sad, but I'm with ya. I got a Note 7 and am very pleased - but it's not the beauty of MS W10M. I'll just be switching my sim back and forth between the Note 7 and my ICON so I can keep up with Insider Updates and keep my head in the MS game.

Bad part is there's just so much Google and Verizon on that Note 7. You gotta jump through hoops to turn it off.

Peace. Alan
ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 2, 14915.1000.] :winktongue: for now.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

Honestly i would give it another few weeks. Google's new phone is going to be announced soon and ship early Oct. That's what I'm waiting for.

anon(5376293)

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

My life is currently top-to-bottom embedded in the Microsoft ecosystem. I use Outlook.com for email calendar and contacts. I use OneDrive for photo and video uploads. I use Cortana for reminders and OneNote for note-taking.

Does anything jump out as not being compatible on Android? My understanding is that everything should still be supported. I wonder about text messages, which are currently backed up and restored on my Windows Phone. Is there a way to migrate those to android? Does Android back them up as well?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

My life is currently top-to-bottom embedded in the Microsoft ecosystem. I use Outlook.com for email calendar and contacts. I use OneDrive for photo and video uploads. I use Cortana for reminders and OneNote for note-taking.

Most Microsoft services work just as well, if not better, on Android and iOS than on Windows Phone. The one glaring exception is Cortana. Google Now can replace Cortana, but it seems that many users who move from WP are hesitant to use Google's services any more than necessary, which cripples Google Now's usefulness. The other thing to remember is that it will take some work to set up Microsoft's services, since they're not built in or native. Once they're set up and configured, you're good to go.

There are many solutions for backing up and restoring text messages on Android. Take your pick. The only thing I'm not sure about is if you want to transfer them from your Windows Phone and import them to Android.

anon(5376293)

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

I was under the impression that Cortana for Android was capable of replacing Google Now on Android phones. What are the major shortcomings you are aware of?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I was under the impression that Cortana for Android was capable of replacing Google Now on Android phones. What are the major shortcomings you are aware of?

Cortana can replace Google Now on Android, but since it is not native it does not have the deep integration that it has on Windows Phone, or that Google Now has on Android. I haven't used Cortana on Android for awhile though, so it may have advanced since the last time I did. Cortana on Android could not open apps or toggle settings for example. Cortana on Android has some interaction with Windows 10 though, like it does on WP. You'd have to ask someone who is actually replacing Google Now with Cortana though for more specific examples. I primarily use Google Now .

But no matter each PA's capabilities, they cannot equal each other on a non-native platform. However, Google Now on Android is quite similar to Cortana on WP. Each has some capabilities that the other does not, but overall I would say they're roughly equal.

I'll highlight one advanatage for each:

Cortana - it has a personality. Google Now is (almost) all business. I enjoy asking Cortana to tell me a joke for example.

Google Now - I find it much more accurate and dependable than Cortana. For example, one complaint of Cortana is spotty package and flight tracking. Google Now is virtually flawless in that department. Yesterday my parents were flying, and on their way to the airport my mom emailed me their itinerary from American Airlines. Within a minute, their flights were on the Google Now widget on my home screen.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

Most Microsoft services work just as well, if not better, on Android and iOS than on Windows Phone. The one glaring exception is Cortana. Google Now can replace Cortana, but it seems that many users who move from WP are hesitant to use Google's services any more than necessary, which cripples Google Now's usefulness. The other thing to remember is that it will take some work to set up Microsoft's services, since they're not built in or native. Once they're set up and configured, you're good to go.

There are many solutions for backing up and restoring text messages on Android. Take your pick. The only thing I'm not sure about is if you want to transfer them from your Windows Phone and import them to Android.
Thank you for that. That makes me feel better. Le'me ask you this - how do I get my "People" listings from my ICON to my Note 7?
Thanks. :smile:

Peace. Alan
ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 2, 14915.1000.] :winktongue:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Le'me ask you this - how do I get my "People" listings from my ICON to my Note 7?

That I cannot help you with. I haven't used WP for a couple months now, before the recent iterations of W10M were released. That is, unless you're talking about contacts. If they're in your Microsoft account, you should be able to log in to it on Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes