Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Re: Finally jumping ship to Android; how do the Galaxy S7 specs compare?

That I cannot help you with. I haven't used WP for a couple months now, before the recent iterations of W10M were released. That is, unless you're talking about contacts. If they're in your Microsoft account, you should be able to log in to it on Android.
MS calls it People now not Contacts anymore. Ok, thanks. Gives me somethin' to trackdown.

Peace. Alan
ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 2, 14915.1000.] :winktongue:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

MS calls it People now not Contacts anymore. Ok, thanks. Gives me somethin' to trackdown.

Peace. Alan

In my experience, it works well when you add your microsoft account as an exchange account, and set up manually. Basically, follow this:

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/and...r-the-windows-guy-use-your-microsoft-accounts

As a chronic switcher between iOS and Android, I have no issues when doing this.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

In my experience, it works well when you add your microsoft account as an exchange account, and set up manually. Basically, follow this:

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/and...r-the-windows-guy-use-your-microsoft-accounts

As a chronic switcher between iOS and Android, I have no issues when doing this.
I seem to remember you from somewhere around here. THANKS! :grin:

Peace. Alan

Roger Stenson

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Surface Phone

Hi all
What with the band situation and all, Microsoft does test its faithful these days.
If the Surface phone, when it comes, won't sync my one drive from either memory or an SD card, allow me to run Any W10 pro App under continuum and allow me to pay in the UK, it will be Apple phones and watches for me in the new year
Roger Stenson

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Surface Phone

The software is distinct from the hardware - no mythical or real phone will solve the problems if the software isn't ready. So the real question is when those features will come - that's what the feedback hub is for :smile:

svgtom

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Argh, I keep flip flopping as to whether or not I want to stick with WM or switch to Android. I currently have the 635 running 8.1 and I'm considering the 650. I'm not a heavy phone user and pretty much have all the apps I need but with the lack of support and all the negative stuff going on, I just don't know if I should switch or not. I prefer WM over any other phone OS and I would hate to lose the integration but it feels like WM users are fighting a losing battle.

The one question I do have is how buggy is W10M? I keep reading conflicting things about how bad it is. How less stable is it than 8.1 and has there been significant improvement since its release?

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Surface Phone

The software is distinct from the hardware - no mythical or real phone will solve the problems if the software isn't ready. So the real question is when those features will come - that's what the feedback hub is for :smile:
... where a machine learning algorithm will overlook any truly interesting requests and only focus on the common denominator. /cynicism

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Argh, I keep flip flopping as to whether or not I want to stick with WM or switch to Android. I currently have the 635 running 8.1 and I'm considering the 650. I'm not a heavy phone user and pretty much have all the apps I need but with the lack of support and all the negative stuff going on, I just don't know if I should switch or not. I prefer WM over any other phone OS and I would hate to lose the integration but it feels like WM users are fighting a losing battle.

The one question I do have is how buggy is W10M? I keep reading conflicting things about how bad it is. How less stable is it than 8.1 and has there been significant improvement since its release?

Some people will tell you that W10m is rock-solid and perfect, while others will tell you it's the buggiest OS in existence, but those opinions may or may not align with your own assessments of the OS after using it. I remember back when 10586 was first released, there were people actually crowing about how "perfect" it was, and maybe for them, it was. When I tried it though, holy crap, it was BAD, just pure garbage. For me, it didn't start to get decent until .318. That being said, I personally feel that W10m/RS1 is now pretty stable to use on some phones, like the Lumia 640, but again, you should view personal assessments with some skepticism. If I were you, I would consider trialing the 650, and if you decide it's too buggy, simply return it.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Stick with WM

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Stick with WM

To me, when Nadella showed off his Iphone running Outlook, that was the beginning of the end.

Out of iOS, Android and WM10, I love Windows OS the best. Problem is, they have great devices and an outstanding OS, but without the access to the latest and best formed apps - it's a moot point. Samsung, Apple and LG now all have very respectable hardware; what they are lacking in OS enjoyment is more than compensated for by the quality of the apps.

On the other hand, MS offering great devices with an outstanding OS but no access to apps is like opening a movie theater with the best seats, best food, best projection equipment - then telling everyone that all they're going to show are interesting and eclectic Canadian films..no blockbusters. (hehe no offense to Canada).

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
On the other hand, MS offering great devices with an outstanding OS but no access to apps is like opening a movie theater with the best seats, best food, best projection equipment - then telling everyone that all they're going to show are interesting and eclectic Canadian films..no blockbusters. (hehe no offense to Canada).

Wow that is a powerful analogy!

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm 68 and have been in Telecom and IT LAN/WAN my whole life and have always thought of myself as a Windows "MS" guy.
I pretty much had no feelings about Apple, but I LOVED GOOGLE in the early days.
I always felt annoyed with those who felt obliged to hate all things to do with and about Microsoft.
Due to the nature of my jobs I embraced smartphones straightaway. The Palm Treos, the Blackberries, the myriad whatevers, then Androids THEN iPhones. I was always in a position to purchase any model any size memory I wanted, companies always payed. My first LOVE was the Palm Treo then my 2nd love was the HTC Thunderbolt (Android). But I never hated anything in particular. They all got the job done.
I didn't discover the Windows Phone until about a month before I retired. So I told my company I wanted the LUMIA ICON WP8 at the time, from Verizon. They said ok and that's the phone I carried into retirement with me.
WHY? Because I'd become absolutely enchanted with the concept of the Windows Ecosystem. Windows Laptops, Windows Tablets and Windows Phones.
Well my ICON is now [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 2, 14926.1000.] no longer WP8. And I love to drive it. Everything I need it has.

It also hit me that "I" was a hater now. I HATED all things Google, Android and Apple. AND I had hated them for quite a while. I didn't like finding that out about myself. MY 2nd LOVE was an ANDROID, REMEMBER?

Cool old people don't like to hate things pointlessly - and I'm kewl :cool: So I've decided to "embrace-it-all". I'm keeping my ICON AND I've bought the sexiest, hottest Android Phablet, the Samsung Galaxy Note 7. And it's SHWWEEEEEEET!!!:winktongue:

I'm retired so I can do what I want and I'll just keep on driving BOTH - switching back and forth whenever I feel like it. I STILL LOVE Windows 10 M, but I also now LOVE my Android.

Peace. Alan
ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 2, 14926.1000.] :winktongue:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
That weird moment when you are thinking about if you should update your Windows Mobile and your iPhone. I caved for the former, but I'm on the fence of the latter. Never thought that I would be here :grin:

iOS 10 has so much, but I really don't care for any of the messaging stuff. I'll probably update at some point though.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Why not do the iPhone now and wait for what the OEMs may come out with over the next year for Windows?

Peace. Alan

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Why not do the iPhone now and wait for what the OEMs may come out with over the next year for Windows?

Peace. Alan

Yeah, I'll see. I haven't used my iPhone as a phone in weeks now. Since my Honor 8 is my daily driver at the moment, I'm indifferent. I still have my Lumia 640, which I updated. I'm curious what will come next.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, I'll see. I haven't used my iPhone as a phone in weeks now. Since my Honor 8 is my daily driver at the moment, I'm indifferent. I still have my Lumia 640, which I updated. I'm curious what will come next.
Ain't we all!!! :smile:

Peace. Alan

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I never understood the device wars. I like them all iOS, Android and Windows Phone.

When I had my Sinclair Spectrum I didn't hate Commodore 64 owners. When I had my Commodore Amiga I didn't hate Atari owners and so on.

I may have a preference for a particular technology due to cost etc. but I enjoy all.

Having said that, I also know that each technology has it's day and you have to move on just as I had to when my Amiga become obsolete.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I never understood the device wars. I like them all iOS, Android and Windows Phone.

When I had my Sinclair Spectrum I didn't hate Commodore 64 owners. When I had my Commodore Amiga I didn't hate Atari owners and so on.

I may have a preference for a particular technology due to cost etc. but I enjoy all.

Having said that, I also know that each technology has it's day and you have to move on just as I had to when my Amiga become obsolete.
Don't know if it's a myth or not, but I heard that the Amiga continued on for a looooooooong time in Europe. I don't know really.

Peace. Alan

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Don't know if it's a myth or not, but I heard that the Amiga continued on for a looooooooong time in Europe. I don't know really.

Peace. Alan
Funny enough there are some parallels with Windows Phone, in that the Amiga was seen as being a superior machine having a lot of potential in it's day. Mismanagement by the company eventually caused it's demise. Where have we heard that before? As I've said before though, Microsoft is a much more diverse and wealthier company. It can afford to keep Windows Mobile going as a side project for some time. That doesn't mean it will of course as we've seen with other devices in its past.

tonyk79

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've just switched back to iOS with the iPhone 7 after having lumia 920, 1020, 930 & 950. Loved the camera on all those phones, it's just the app gap is far too large and it's only getting bigger. I think ms will go down the enterprise route with a surface phone and wave goodbye to the home consumer market. PayPal, dominos, amazon all left in the last month.

Oh and had an amiga 600 and then the Amiga 1200 back in the day. Workbench 3, sensible soccer and canon fodder, and syndicate,what days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo