Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Funny enough there are some parallels with Windows Phone, in that the Amiga was seen as being a superior machine having a lot of potential in it's day. Mismanagement by the company eventually caused it's demise. Where have we heard that before? As I've said before though, Microsoft is a much more diverse and wealthier company. It can afford to keep Windows Mobile going as a side project for some time. That doesn't mean it will of course as we've seen with other devices in its past.
I looked it up on Wikipedia. Cool history. It was a raging success; constantly developing under the then CEO - THE major shareholder had the CEO deposed in 1992, all development ceased and they filed bankruptcy in 1994. Now NOBODY but THAT MAJOR SHAREHOLDER and his cronies could have profited from that. Na' mean?

Peace. Alan
ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 2, 14926.1000.] :winktongue:

mpjones

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Taking A Break

I think its time for me to move on from mobile for a while, constantly telling myself it will get better only for Ms to change direction. I've been burnt by win phone 7, Surface rt and the band 1 (maybe even 2). I'm not investing any more until they show there hand.

I will continue to visit this site, but now as a by stander.

Truely gutted

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Taking A Break

I do understand where you are coming from, but I have to say Windows 10 is looking great on my XL, SP3 and desktop and with the promised Skype and WP integration, getting better for the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

hexafluoride

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I've been with Windows Phone since about 2013, and I started out with a Lumia 520 first. At its time, WP8 was amazing, Metro was amazing, the experience was consistent, smooth and it ran like a champ on what seemed like the lowest of the low. I loved every single aspect of it. The number of apps didn't matter for me, because I simply knew I couldn't get an experience like that unless I shelled out a fortune for an iPhone and even then iOS is inferior to 8/8.1 in terms of design.

Last year, I bought a Lumia 830, confident that Windows Phone would prosper and Windows 10 would be amazing. A few weeks after, the first preview was released. Hyped up, I immediately installed it. What I found was...disappointing, to say the least. It was nowhere as snappy as 8.1, the interface was inconsistent, Metro was gone, and overall it just looked like a hack. Attributing those problems to it being a preview, I didn't let my hope down. Until the Lumia 950 and 950 XL were released. At that point, I realized that those problems weren't because the software wasn't ready, it was because Microsoft didn't care. They simply didn't care. What they essentially meant by shipping Windows 10 was "this is production-ready software", when that obviously wasn't true, at least for me. My Lumia 830, which I remind was marketed as an "affordable flagship", lags and stutters more than my friends' old mid-range Android phones. Now, if Microsoft had preserved the consistent Metro language and made sure that their OS didn't lag on a mid-high end phone from the last generation, I would be happy with having less or older apps. But if my OS is worse both in experience and in app support, that's where I draw the line.

I'm switching to a Nexus 6P in 3 weeks, and I couldn't be happier. Sure, I'll miss Glance(there's Ambient Display but it seems it's nowhere as good). But even while writing this part, I had to wait for a second and think about what else I will miss. Nothing. I won't miss anything about this garbage buggy OS.

To stubborn Windows 10 users who claim that their <low-mid end device> runs smoothly: I hope that the problem is with me and you really are having a smooth experience. I know I'm not. Brand loyalty is pointless. Just let it go.

Goodbye, WP community. It's been a fun ride.

I've been using my Nexus 6P for about 6 months now, and I have to say that I don't regret switching one bit. Even if I disregard the quality of the hardware; it's snappier than my brother's 950, it has better app support(even from Microsoft!) and it's overall just an amazing experience. Material Design is simply beautiful and it looks much better than the Metro-Modern abomination that came with Windows 10. I recently got an e-mail from Amazon stating that their Windows Phone app was being abandoned, and that's when I knew that I had made the right choice.

I'm not even touching on the various hardware issues that plagued my 830. Bulging screen, anyone?

To anyone who's still on the fence, jump off the wreck before you sink with it.

PatrickDay

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
I'm done with Microsoft. so much promise, so little results. The only bright spot is Xbox. Now comes news that they fudged their edge browser tests. I just ordered an iPhone 7 Plus and will reap the rewards of a well thought out device, and an app ecosystem that is the best in the world, and will not regret it. Microsoft can shove all the apps they want at Android and iOS, I really don't care, all I'll use is Office. The phones are crap, which could have been avoided if they would have put more into WP 8/8.1 instead of rebooting the OS again. They have lost the battle for good this time, and will not recover, and anyone who says they will is being intellectually dishonest. I'm of the opinion that Satya Nadella really doesn't have the heart to put any resources behind WM because he knows its too much of an uphill climb. Time to take the horse behind the barn.

The Cincinnati Kid

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I'll be leaving Windows Phone in the next couple weeks or so. When I got the HTC 8x to replace my Android in 2012, there was so much promise with WP. At the time I was 16/17 and it had all of the apps I wanted. Even if there wasn't an app for something, it was just as easy to go to a website to do what I wanted. However, not much changed by the time I was due for a new phone in 2014. I was excited about the Icon, but it was on Verizon and a comparable plan was about $20 more per month. I was very close to getting an iPhone, but I noticed Verizon was offering a cheaper plan that was only about $5 more per month than my then current plan. I was still hesitant considering relative lack of progress in regards to apps, but I loved the idea of running Windows for everything and I still had hope about the future of WP. About that same time I read here that Verizon was no longer selling the Icon. That was a red flag considering it had only been out for about 7 months. (Did we ever find out why they stopped selling it so soon?) I forged ahead anyway and bought the Icon. I called five or six different Verizon stores and only one location had one available. Here we are two years later and things still have not changed much.

At this point, there's not really any reason for me to stay with Windows Phone aside from loyalty. The only question now is will I go with Apple or Android? I am thinking Android since the S7 still has a physical 3.5mm jack. I'd like to get the Moto Z because of the Moto Mods, but I've read that the camera isn't nearly as good. Yes, I know it doesn't have a 3.5mm jack either, but I've never been a huge fan of Apple to begin with.

I'm hoping this is just a long vacation from WP, though. If a Surface Phone ever hits the market, I think it has the potential to be a game changer. I'll gladly switch back if that is the case.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
At this point, there's not really any reason for me to stay with Windows Phone aside from loyalty. The only question now is will I go with Apple or Android? I am thinking Android since the S7 still has a physical 3.5mm jack. I'd like to get the Moto Z because of the Moto Mods, but I've read that the camera isn't nearly as good. Yes, I know it doesn't have a 3.5mm jack either, but I've never been a huge fan of Apple to begin with.

I'm hoping this is just a long vacation from WP, though. If a Surface Phone ever hits the market, I think it has the potential to be a game changer. I'll gladly switch back if that is the case.
How much do you care about customization? It sounds like you care about it to an extent, since you are interested in the Moto Mods. The S7 would be a good one to try. Speaking of try, how about the Moto Z Play? I am hearing that it is pretty solid and you get to keep the headphone jack. It is probably also less down too.

The Cincinnati Kid

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
How much do you care about customization? It sounds like you care about it to an extent, since you are interested in the Moto Mods. The S7 would be a good one to try. Speaking of try, how about the Moto Z Play? I am hearing that it is pretty solid and you get to keep the headphone jack. It is probably also less down too.

I wouldn't say I care too much. I like idea of the mods, but the biggest factor in deciding what phone to get is the camera. The camera mod is $279.99, which is too expensive in my opinion. There are some other cool mods like the JBL speaker and the battery mod, but if a Surface Phone comes out, I'll feel like I just wasted $500. I should probably just ditch WP for good, but I love it too much to completely give up hope! I did check out the Z Play, but the camera on that is even worse. I'm still able to get a phone the old way, so a regular S7 is only going to cost me $199. Otherwise, I may have just bought the Z Play and add the camera mod. So I guess I just answered which phone I'm going to get, haha.

Queen Kong1

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
I've just switched back to iOS with the iPhone 7 after having lumia 920, 1020, 930 & 950. Loved the camera on all those phones, it's just the app gap is far too large and it's only getting bigger. I think ms will go down the enterprise route with a surface phone and wave goodbye to the home consumer market. PayPal, dominos, amazon all left in the last month.

Oh and had an amiga 600 and then the Amiga 1200 back in the day. Workbench 3, sensible soccer and canon fodder, and syndicate,what days!

And Trivia Crack :( I play that daily..so i cant use WP

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Bought a Note 7, had it replaced with the not faulty one, but I'm still keeping my 1520 even though it has ghost touches. Love my 1520.

ME TOO !!! I bought a Note 7 but I'm keeping my ICON cause I still LOVE it. I plan to drive both of them whenever I feel like it. I'm retired so no business problems to deal with switching around like that.

The ONLY reason I bought the NOTE 7 is because a wanted a new, Hot, Sexy phablet and couldn't do the 950XL on Verizon. I'm in Rural America and Verizon is all that works for me.

Sooooooo..... still a Happy Dog here :winktongue:

Peace. Alan
ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 2, 14926.1000.] :winktongue:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The rumored price point kind of killed my interest. It has to be awesome for me to consider it for that amount. Even then, probably not.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The rumored price point kind of killed my interest. It has to be awesome for me to consider it for that amount. Even then, probably not.
Don't let rumors kill your interest. Even though it's rumored now (tm), it sounds like a pretty low credibility rumor. From AndroidPolice:

"We are giving this rumor a confidence rating of 6 out of 10. It loses a few points because, while we know and trust this source, no one else is able to corroborate the pricing at this time. Also, pricing can change at any point before release. Additionally, the source cannot provide us with any primary material to back up the claims."

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Don't let rumors kill your interest. Even though it's rumored now (tm), it sounds like a pretty low credibility rumor. From AndroidPolice:

"We are giving this rumor a confidence rating of 6 out of 10. It loses a few points because, while we know and trust this source, no one else is able to corroborate the pricing at this time. Also, pricing can change at any point before release. Additionally, the source cannot provide us with any primary material to back up the claims."
I was under the impression that the Nexus phones were originally subsidized by Google which was why they were so cheap originally and that Google is no longer going to do this with their new Google Phones.

Magikal

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Okay, I'm done with Windows and Lumia.
They served me well for the last couple of years. I've had only two devices - 520 and 640. Fantastic ones.
But I'm tired of Microsoft's broken promises. For example, few years ago they have promised they'll add bulgarian bds keyboard layout, which is the official government standard for our country. This layout is available in all other Windows versions. Never made it to mobile, despite Microsoft's promises and despite tons of requests.
I don't want to bash the MS team. Apps are not there. Ported apps, especially facebook ones do not work, they can't take advantage of the hardware, they are slow, incomplete and they are certainly not a match with their android/ios counterparts.

I bought a new device - Huawei P9 Lite today. My first impressions are WOW! No loading dots, no resuming screens, everything loads smoother and faster! Even the Microsoft own apps are better on Android. Before jumping off the Windows ship I have always had that feeling of being the fifth wheel. Now I'm absolutely sure about that - Microsoft treats it's users that way!

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Okay, I'm done with Windows and Lumia.
They served me well for the last couple of years. I've had only two devices - 520 and 640. Fantastic ones.
But I'm tired of Microsoft's broken promises. For example, few years ago they have promised they'll add bulgarian bds keyboard layout, which is the official government standard for our country. This layout is available in all other Windows versions. Never made it to mobile, despite Microsoft's promises and despite tons of requests.
I don't want to bash the MS team. Apps are not there. Ported apps, especially facebook ones do not work, they can't take advantage of the hardware, they are slow, incomplete and they are certainly not a match with their android/ios counterparts.

I bought a new device - Huawei P9 Lite today. My first impressions are WOW! No loading dots, no resuming screens, everything loads smoother and faster! Even the Microsoft own apps are better on Android. Before jumping off the Windows ship I have always had that feeling of being the fifth wheel. Now I'm absolutely sure about that - Microsoft treats it's users that way!
Happy Trails, Magikal.

Peace. Alan
ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 2, 14926.1000] :winktongue:
SS Galaxy Note 7 [Android, MM 6.1] :winktongue:

Martin Langsholt

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
I have over the years been a very happy owner of various Windows phones. But now Windows 10 has been with us for almost a hole year and I'm sorry to say that it looks like it's going nowhere. In that I mean nothing is happening. They have the same app gap and Windows 10 still is nowhere near the stability of 8 and 8.1. So I'm jumping ship. Bought a Nexus phone yesterday and it is great. Now if I want an app, I can just go and get it. Simple as that. Not wondering when, and if at all the app will come to Windows mobile. If Microsoft is going to stand a chance in the mobile world, the have to release the surface phone asap and do something about the app gap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12