Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
W10M is great for used or budget phones. If you want something high end then you should go elsewhere. Yes some of the Lumias still hold up now, but a few months down the line they will be low end bricks. Market share went from 3% to 1% and that was with the Lumias. Now that Lumia is being dropped, you can expect market share to drop to almost nothing as other manufacturers are releasing only mediocre phones for W10M.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
So I switched to my iPhone SE recently to try iOS 10.

Before doing that, I realized that I haven't used ANY phone this year for longer than 4 weeks by choice. Both the Honor 8 and the iPhone SE have been the only ones to pass the test. The many others failed because there was a big issue.
Decided to downgrade to iOS 9 because of T-Mobile signal issues, and also the battery seemed to go down faster. Not a good combo.

Wow that's too bad about your issues with the SE. I haven't noticed any obvious detriment in battery life on my 6s. Not to say it isn't there...but if it is it isn't drastic. Also no problems with T-Mobile signal.

I like the iOS 10 changes on my 6s. My favorite being the 'Raise to wake' feature.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Wow that's too bad about your issues with the SE. I haven't noticed any obvious detriment in battery life on my 6s. Not to say it isn't there...but if it is it isn't drastic. Also no problems with T-Mobile signal.

I like the iOS 10 changes on my 6s. My favorite being the 'Raise to wake' feature.

I'm glad that you are having better luck than I did! I feel like iOS 10 is much nicer with the 6s or 6s+ because of the 3d touch. It's weird that some people are still having issues with their signal and others are just fine. I hope that it'll be better soon...at least before I try again. lol

I agree about the Raise to Wake, I did like that because it kind of reminds me of Glance.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Both the Honor 8 and the iPhone SE have been the only ones to pass the test.

I'll stick with the honor 8 for a while.
I'm a fan of the 5.5 inch screen size, yet the honor at 5.2 is so good that I see myself hanging in with it for at least 6 months or longer.
As a hardware freakster I always need 2 phones active to feed my habitual swapping.

Hoping the upcoming honor 6X will be offered in the US.
From what I read it may be a celestial version of the venerable 5X.
Hope the 6X stays reasonable in price so I can fit one into the budget :)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'll stick with the honor 8 for a while.
I'm a fan of the 5.5 inch screen size, yet the honor at 5.2 is so good that I see myself hanging in with it for at least 6 months or longer.
As a hardware freakster I always need 2 phones active to feed my habitual swapping.

Hoping the upcoming honor 6X will be offered in the US.
From what I read it may be a celestial version of the venerable 5X.
Hope the 6X stays reasonable in price so I can fit one into the budget :)
Yes I agree with you about the honor 8.

Hopefully the 6x will be good too. Funny that you can relate to my switching. Since I downgraded, my SE isn't as interesting to me so I switched back.

Seriously, I found myself missing the Honor 8.

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm aware that there's no perfect phone but I'm still attempting to chase it with my chronic switching.

Glad I'm not alone in this pursuit. I've also been trying to find the perfect phone ever since MS dropped the ball on W10M, and I haven't found it yet. I'm on an iPhone SE right now (4th time trying an iPhone) and so far I like the smaller form factor + raise to wake (finally a suitable replacement for Glance).

Now if I could have an Xperia Compact running Windows with the iOS App Store slapped on, that might be close to perfect. :smile:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad that you are having better luck than I did! I feel like iOS 10 is much nicer with the 6s or 6s+ because of the 3d touch. It's weird that some people are still having issues with their signal and others are just fine. I hope that it'll be better soon...at least before I try again. lol

I agree about the Raise to Wake, I did like that because it kind of reminds me of Glance.
Raise to Wake seems very similar to Glance and Moto Display.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Raise to Wake seems very similar to Glance and Moto Display.

It is similar. Moto display (in my thinking) is closer to the Glance experience on a Lumia. The iPhone's Raise to wake feature is nice in that you just pick up the phone (or take it out of your pocket) and the lockscreen appears --- along with any new notifications that have been received. While in this state one can just touch the Home button (no need to physically press) to unlock (if you have fingerprint touch saved). It's really a nice feature in my opinion.
This feature isn't available on the first generation iPhone 6 and 6+. Just 6s/plus and later models.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Glad I'm not alone in this pursuit. I've also been trying to find the perfect phone ever since MS dropped the ball on W10M, and I haven't found it yet. I'm on an iPhone SE right now (4th time trying an iPhone) and so far I like the smaller form factor + raise to wake (finally a suitable replacement for Glance).

Now if I could have an Xperia Compact running Windows with the iOS App Store slapped on, that might be close to perfect. :smile:
Yes to everything you said. That would be the perfect combo in size and in general!

Yep, you're not alone, it's been 9 months of trying out different phones. Some people look forward to getting wasted and I have been here just ordering, trying, returning and selling phones. Some people think I'm crazy, my sister included. :grincry:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So I switched to my iPhone SE recently to try iOS 10...

...Decided to downgrade to iOS 9 because of T-Mobile signal issues, and also the battery seemed to go down faster. Not a good combo.

If you had issues locking to LTE that may have caused the battery drain. Inconsistent signal is a notorious battery thief.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
If you had issues locking to LTE that may have caused the battery drain. Inconsistent signal is a notorious battery thief.
I believe you could be right here.

The weird thing about this is that it changed at home but not at work. Apparently, I'm not the only person having these issues. Since downgrading, my signal is back to normal, as is my battery life when I had my sim in it. xd

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Love Android, best decision in years. There are all the apps I need and they are updated regularly. And the phone just simply works. No annoying bugs or whatever.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Well after being in the MSFT and Google camp for a couple of years I'm thinking of rejoining Apple last Apple product I used fully was the iBook G3 "Snow". So I'm thinking of buying an iPhone either the 7 or 6S and for the MacBook idk haha.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android (LG V10 or Nexus 5x)

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Joining Apple again after years of ridiculing them.

I understand choosing iOS over W10m... but IMHO there is not much incentive to switch Mac's over Windows. I tried to use a Mac to replace windows PC's some years ago and didn't work out at all.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think I'm phone restless. Might be that time again for me to reevaluate what I want/need in a phone again. Let's just say that a certain person here has been affected by me doing this (I am so sorry) :grincry:

The Honor 8 is awesome, but with all of these calendar events I am having to schedule in my phone, it's hard to deal with sync errors. The quick solution is to remove the account and then add again...to have the same thing happen over and over.

The lack of customization (check out MrMobile 's review on the iPhone 7), and the 2 looks in 3 sizes and now 5 colors of the iPhone is my only annoyance with it. Otherwise, Microsoft services are a dream.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
...are you house and car restless also? :shocked: ...... :grincry: ...

Haha xd Nope.

I just bought my car a few months ago and I have JUST recovered from that. I am looking to move sometime this year possibly but no later than next year. Kind of restless there but for a different reason from the phone stuff.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Joining Apple again after years of ridiculing them.

Get the iPhone 6S. It'll be cheaper and it has a battery life than the 7

Thanks for the suggestion, but I currently own an iPhone SE that I am pleased with and also has nice battery life. It's just hard to deal with the lack of customization internally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte