Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Joining Apple again after years of ridiculing them.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I currently own an iPhone SE that I am pleased with and also has nice battery life. It's just hard to deal with the lack of customization internally.
I understand what you're saying. I have Android devices that use stock Android, yet I still use Nova Launcher Prime and icon sets to customise my devices.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I understand what you're saying. I have Android devices that use stock Android, yet I still use Nova Launcher Prime and icon sets to customise my devices.

Yeah it's just nicer to have the choice.

I found out how to fix my calendar sync woes on Android and it works. I am so excited!

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Roddie Toney

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Bye

Sad to say I have to go to competitor. No one is carrying Windows Phone at a reasonable rate or in stock. Dog knocked my 640 off table and screen is cracked. Went to replace with another and discontinued with a similar replacement being over 100. I know I could order the 550 but that is less for more. Got a phone for 49.99 with 16 gb storage and marshmallow. Hopefully I will like it. Love Windows 10 on the 640 but sadly Microsoft is proud of there products and no one carries them. Seems like Microsoft wants to fail. Specs on new phone are similarly close so I will see. I know I will miss Windows Phone but doesn't seem Microsoft wants to succeed with phones.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Bye

Hi Roddie,

Just because you're switching to a different platform doesn't mean you have to leave.

Mobile Nations is a community of all mobile platforms. Your account here includes Passport, which gives you access to all of our sister sites. So if you're getting an Android, please check out Android Central, or if you're getting an iPhone, please check out iMore.

We want you to stay around, no matter what platform you choose, and we're friendly on all sites. Many of us are active on multiple sites, including some of the moderators such as me, since we use multiple platforms.

I hope this helps.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

Like Laura says...stick around. There are many people who have either gone to another OS or like myself, use 2 phones. I have an Android for work and a WP for personal use. Android Central, Windows Central and iMore are all part of Mobile Nations. Some contributors on this site don't even us a Windows Phone anymore but still post in various threads. It's all good. :).

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

I understand choosing iOS over W10m... but IMHO there is not much incentive to switch Mac's over Windows. I tried to use a Mac to replace windows PC's some years ago and didn't work out at all.

Yeah you're right about the Mac thing haha I'll a surface book then anyway I'll probably get a iPhone 6s then.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android (LG V10 or Nexus 5x)

Ryan Smith23

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site

I don't know where you're located, but if you're in the US, you can get an unlockable (instantly) AT&T GoPhone 640 for $65 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-64...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3573425

I'm the opposite, I went from a Samsung Galaxy Note 5 to a Lumia 640 (same one as in the link), and I've just ordered an HP Elite x3 (which should be here in like a week). I had a 1520 a few years ago too, and I regret getting rid of it. I'm back to WP10 for the forseeable future.

Good luck though, with whatever you end up sticking with.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting a Samsung S7, and keep my 950 as a spare phone to see if MS comes up with something cool later on. Has anyone here gone from Lumia 950/XL to the S7 ? How has that worked out for you? Happy with the choice?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting a Samsung S7, and keep my 950 as a spare phone to see if MS comes up with something cool later on. Has anyone here gone from Lumia 950/XL to the S7 ? How has that worked out for you? Happy with the choice?

I haven't done that myself, but if I can ask, why the s7? It's a nice phone but there are lots of other choices that are also nice as well, and you get more bang for your buck.

Roddie Toney

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site

Thanks. I didn't see this before I ordered the LG Phoenix 2 for 49.99. If this one doesn't work out then will order if available anymore the 640 as it is my favorite phone to date.

Roddie Toney

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site

Hi Roddie,

Just because you're switching to a different platform doesn't mean you have to leave.

Mobile Nations is a community of all mobile platforms. Your account here includes Passport, which gives you access to all of our sister sites. So if you're getting an Android, please check out Android Central, or if you're getting an iPhone, please check out iMore.

We want you to stay around, no matter what platform you choose, and we're friendly on all sites. Many of us are active on multiple sites, including some of the moderators such as me, since we use multiple platforms.

I hope this helps.

Will do. Probably have lots of questions until I get used to android.

Queen Kong1

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
I just want word flow keyboard on my android, bloody IOS get it that's cuz what' his name has one. Garage team need to pull finger out, and bring it to Android also as promised. It's all i want damn it.........It's the only reason i really went to wp anyhow. If i had it on android id be happy, personally i think the IOS Version is better anyhow than the 10 one. Why let that die with it?, it's good and well you can get loads of other msoft apps over at Googz

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I haven't done that myself, but if I can ask, why the s7? It's a nice phone but there are lots of other choices that are also nice as well, and you get more bang for your buck.

Actually went and got one yesterday. But I got the S7 Edge instead.
I wanted something that could compete with the camera on the 950. All the reviews say that the S7 had the best camera. So after a day with testing I can honestly say, no. The camera is not as good as the 950. But it's close. Sound quality(speaker and through aux/headsets) is also not as good as with the 950.

BUT, Android on Samsungs has come a long way since last time I tried it. It's really fast and nice, with an insanely amount of features. It's a real consumers paradise, compared to Windows 10 Mobile. The phone has also only used around 10% battery in the 5 hours I have been at work, where my 950 would have used probably at least 3 times as much.

So far I'm happy with it.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I wanted something that could compete with the camera on the 950. All the reviews say that the S7 had the best camera. So after a day with testing I can honestly say, no. The camera is not as good as the 950. But it's close. Sound quality(speaker and through aux/headsets) is also not as good as with the 950.

BUT, Android on Samsungs has come a long way since last time I tried it. It's really fast and nice, with an insanely amount of features. It's a real consumers paradise, compared to Windows 10 Mobile. The phone has also only used around 10% battery in the 5 hours I have been at work, where my 950 would have used probably at least 3 times as much.

Ooh okay, I see. You chose well. Enjoy! What color did you get?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

My wife has an S6 Edge. My personal opinion is that the Edge feature is a bit of a gimmick. It adds a few cool touches, but overall I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost. It could be for some people though. What I like about Edge is how it looks. Somehow it looks premium, for example when you scroll sideways, it appears that the screen is rolling around the edge of the phone. Pretty neat looking!

My wife uses a bumper case with a clear plastic back. It retains the premium appearance of the device while doing a fine job of protecting the edges. The back of the S6 Edge is glass, which makes it slippery. The case takes care of that problem too.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
My wife has an S6 Edge. My personal opinion is that the Edge feature is a bit of a gimmick. It adds a few cool touches, but overall I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost. It could be for some people though. What I like about Edge is how it looks. Somehow it looks premium, for example when you scroll sideways, it appears that the screen is rolling around the edge of the phone. Pretty neat looking!

My wife uses a bumper case with a clear plastic back. It retains the premium appearance of the device while doing a fine job of protecting the edges. The back of the S6 Edge is glass, which makes it slippery. The case takes care of that problem too.

It's absolutely a gimmick! I doubt I will use it much, but it looks sexy as hell with it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I just want word flow keyboard on my android, bloody IOS get it that's cuz what' his name has one. Garage team need to pull finger out, and bring it to Android also as promised. It's all i want damn it.........It's the only reason i really went to wp anyhow. If i had it on android id be happy, personally i think the IOS Version is better anyhow than the 10 one. Why let that die with it?, it's good and well you can get loads of other msoft apps over at Googz
Try SwiftKey. It's just as good on Android as WordFlow, and it's owned by Microsoft.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's absolutely a gimmick! I doubt I will use it much, but it looks sexy as hell with it.

Yup pretty much our conclusion! One thing my wife really likes about Edge though is that she can see the clock while it's on the nightstand basically at eye level. That is one non-gimmicky feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss