Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
So I'm back to WinPhone, at least temporarily. My LG G4 bricked. It's a known issue with a connector so LG is supposedly fixing my 16-month-old phone for free (we'll see if that's what comes to pass).

When I had to send my Android off, I took my SIM card, plugged it into the old HTC 8X, turned it on and.... it didn't accept the SIM. I shut it off, took the SIM out, rebooted, *then* plugged the SIM in and it is working okay now.

My transition to Android wasn't too rough. I like a lot of things about it- the flexible interface and the wealth of apps being among my favorite features.

But going back to WinPhone reminds me how much I like its interface. It is just so smooth and pretty. The default fonts are perfect: Easy to read by my ageing eyes. It seems like even when I choose a larger font on the Android, it doesn't propagate through all the apps. Some of the apps have small enough fonts that I have trouble reading them even with my glasses. I also like Live Tiles. My Android has similar icons, but they just don't update like WP did, so I think I have updated info from the icon indicator, but when I get into the app I find out the icon display was showing old data.

When I get my Android back I may try to find a skin/launcher that emulates WindowsPhone. They are out there apparently, but I can't tell how much I might like them until I get my phone back.

So when my phone is due for replacement in a year or so, what do I have to look forward to with Windows? Looking around the forums here, they seem to be talking about similar issues (delayed development, lack of apps) that I read about a year and a half ago. Is WP or Windows Mobile or whatever it's called, making any headway?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So when my phone is due for replacement in a year or so, what do I have to look forward to with Windows? Looking around the forums here, they seem to be talking about similar issues (delayed development, lack of apps) that I read about a year and a half ago. Is WP or Windows Mobile or whatever it's called, making any headway?

I think it is making headway with some apps, and general performance. The OS seems to be updated at least once a month.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I think it is making headway with some apps, and general performance. The OS seems to be updated at least once a month.

Wow. I think I got about 3 pushes in two years on my 8X. And after being shut off for over a year, there was no update available.

Wasn't there some talk about a common standard for apps between Windows and Android that would allow Windows phones to run Android apps?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Wow. I think I got about 3 pushes in two years on my 8X. And after being shut off for over a year, there was no update available.

Wasn't there some talk about a common standard for apps between Windows and Android that would allow Windows phones to run Android apps?
That was Project Astoria, which Microsoft killed.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Yeah, things have changed on that front. I like that. Never mind the Fast and Slow rings for Windows 10 Mobile. These updates just go for Windows 10 Mobile. The HTC 8X is not eligible for Windows 10 Mobile, so you are at the end there.

ravi.tandon

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I will miss Live Tiles and you!

More than any one, any place or setting, this is one place I feel I need to pour my heart out in a bittersweet good bye.

I am writing all of this as a customer and user of Windows Mobile since Windows Mobile 5.0.
It used to feel awesome more than 10 years ago that I could play Chess or Solitaire on a phone using Stylus.

Being able to use outlook on phone was awesome as I could stay up with work and those nicely integrated calendars that showed me exactly where I had to be for a meeting.

Over the years, I kept getting cheap or free Windows Phones of each iteration and was always looking forward to next iteration.
The best phone upgrade for me back in the day was Lumia 920. It had made me happy.

Last year, I was switching back from TMO to ATT due to service issues and Lumia 640XL felt like good device (temporarily) as I wanted to stay in WP and 950 series had not launched yet. Soon I realized how the 8GB memory is the worst configuration for a mobile in this day and age. Every time, I had to rock a new W10 build, I had to move around my apps to free up space despite having a high-end 64GB microSD.

All the world was celebrating/enjoying their devices. ATT only carried Lumia 950. I wanted to get Lumia 950 XL but the dying platform and early build challenges kept me off.

This year when I am eligible for an upgrade, I have nothing to upgrade to.
I did not care about other apps leaving as I could manage without or around them, but the app that disappointed me the most on leaving the store was Amazon.

I am a Amazon Prime customer and I love that service. Whom should I blame for how I feel not having the ability to scan an item from my phone and check its reviews on Amazon?

Whom should I blame that I still can't forget my wallet at home.

I started researching about different Android phones and IPhones, on what can I get that will give me live tiles back or fill the gaps I needed, while not breaking the bank.

While Android commands great market share, its pitiful to see each flagship line laced with their own issues, the Note 7 fiasco, LG boot loops, Google killing its own Nexus line and switching manufacturer 3rd time now. And each of these priced higher than what I would like to pay.

I don't want to praise the other platforms as each have their own good or bad things, what I am here to say is, I did not want to leave but have no option but to leave.

It has been nice being part of this community, Windows 10 has so much promise, but after 10 years of being here, I need a change, I owe myself an issue free/seamless experience, no matter how much it is going to cost me. I am going to try that and see if the grass is indeed greener on other side.

I am a medium to heavy phone user, and I thought to myself, if I am going to use my device for this long every day, it better be something that I cherish and not feel that I am adjusting with it.

I may come back, but that is all up to what comes next and how my experience on other side is.

Given that Windows Central app is on other platforms, I will keep checking in every now and then. Will miss the editors and writers here, but I believe your peers in other sections of Mobile Nations are equally good and it will good to follow them for a while.

Until our paths cross again.

Cheers
Ravi

PS: I specifically chose not to reveal what I am switching to.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: I will miss Live Tiles and you!

More than any one, any place or setting, this is one place I feel I need to pour my heart out in a bittersweet good bye.

I am writing all of this as a customer and user of Windows Mobile since Windows Mobile 5.0.
It used to feel awesome more than 10 years ago that I could play Chess or Solitaire on a phone using Stylus.

Being able to use outlook on phone was awesome as I could stay up with work and those nicely integrated calendars that showed me exactly where I had to be for a meeting.

Over the years, I kept getting cheap or free Windows Phones of each iteration and was always looking forward to next iteration.
The best phone upgrade for me back in the day was Lumia 920. It had made me happy.

Last year, I was switching back from TMO to ATT due to service issues and Lumia 640XL felt like good device (temporarily) as I wanted to stay in WP and 950 series had not launched yet. Soon I realized how the 8GB memory is the worst configuration for a mobile in this day and age. Every time, I had to rock a new W10 build, I had to move around my apps to free up space despite having a high-end 64GB microSD.

All the world was celebrating/enjoying their devices. ATT only carried Lumia 950. I wanted to get Lumia 950 XL but the dying platform and early build challenges kept me off.

This year when I am eligible for an upgrade, I have nothing to upgrade to.
I did not care about other apps leaving as I could manage without or around them, but the app that disappointed me the most on leaving the store was Amazon.

I am a Amazon Prime customer and I love that service. Whom should I blame for how I feel not having the ability to scan an item from my phone and check its reviews on Amazon?

Whom should I blame that I still can't forget my wallet at home.

I started researching about different Android phones and IPhones, on what can I get that will give me live tiles back or fill the gaps I needed, while not breaking the bank.

While Android commands great market share, its pitiful to see each flagship line laced with their own issues, the Note 7 fiasco, LG boot loops, Google killing its own Nexus line and switching manufacturer 3rd time now. And each of these priced higher than what I would like to pay.

I don't want to praise the other platforms as each have their own good or bad things, what I am here to say is, I did not want to leave but have no option but to leave.

It has been nice being part of this community, Windows 10 has so much promise, but after 10 years of being here, I need a change, I owe myself an issue free/seamless experience, no matter how much it is going to cost me. I am going to try that and see if the grass is indeed greener on other side.

I am a medium to heavy phone user, and I thought to myself, if I am going to use my device for this long every day, it better be something that I cherish and not feel that I am adjusting with it.

I may come back, but that is all up to what comes next and how my experience on other side is.

Given that Windows Central app is on other platforms, I will keep checking in every now and then. Will miss the editors and writers here, but I believe your peers in other sections of Mobile Nations are equally good and it will good to follow them for a while.

Until our paths cross again.

Cheers
Ravi

PS: I specifically chose not to reveal what I am switching to.
Good luck with your new device.

Since you are a member here, your Passport allows you to also be part of AndroidCentral and iMore. Please check out those communities. You'll recognize a lot of folks who are members there as well, including several mods.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I bought the 550, thanks to that super promo from B&H and I got it yesterday. I'm planning to have it replace my Lumia 640, because I am so tired of performance issues and dumb glitches that come with updates. I feel like you can't break in a new phone without a SIM, so I'll give it a day or two. I love the size of it, oh how I missed this size. We'll see how this goes.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
When I get my Android back I may try to find a skin/launcher that emulates WindowsPhone. They are out there apparently, but I can't tell how much I might like them until I get my phone back.

Check out "Square Home 2" in the Play Store. It's got so many options that you can make it almost an exact copy of your windows phone interface. Best 4.99 I have spent in a long time.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I bought the 550, thanks to that super promo from B&H and I got it yesterday.

I hesitated and then missed it. I would have gone for the 650 though. I wanted to try Microsoft Wallet. I am a huge tap-and-pay fan. That is why my next primary device will likely be a Samsung. (Relax everyone, I'm going for the non-exploding model!)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I hesitated and then missed it. I would have gone for the 650 though. I wanted to try Microsoft Wallet. I am a huge tap-and-pay fan. That is why my next primary device will likely be a Samsung. (Relax everyone, I'm going for the non-exploding model!)

Aw man, that sucks that you missed it.

I believe this, I heard a lot about Samsung Pay being awesome. (I know that my credit union does not support Microsoft Wallet though.)
Do you mean future devices, as in what's to come next year?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I believe this, I heard a lot about Samsung Pay being awesome.

My wife uses an S6 Edge, and she has lots of fun with it. She'll pull it out to pay, and the cashier is like "We don't take that h... Whoa, that's cool!"

Do you mean future devices, as in what's to come next year?

Not sure yet. Maybe the US factory unlocked S7 Edge, or the S8 equivalent if I wait that long.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Not sure yet. Maybe the US factory unlocked S7 Edge, or the S8 equivalent if I wait that long.

Please post somewhere when you choose something, I'm curious because I recall how much you love(d) that Nexus 6.

So there's a sale on a Huawei smartwatch (450 down to 190). Anyone have or use a smartwatch? I know it's mostly not there on Windows Mobile but I think it would be nice to try with my iPhone and Honor 8...which I am missing the connectivity of.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Please post somewhere when you choose something, I'm curious because I recall how much you love(d) that Nexus 6.

I still mourn the loss of that Nexus 6! I upgraded to the Nexus 6P, but after the fact I consider it a sidegrade at best. There are only 2 features of the 6P I like better: the fingerprint reader and voice unlocking. Looking back, I would probably keep the Nexus 6 until "the next big thing".

I found the 6P on Craigslist at a price I couldn't refuse. Even today, 5 months later, its equivalents are going for about $75 more than what I paid for it. At least I should get my money back when I upgrade.

So there's a sale on a Huawei smartwatch (450 down to 190). Anyone have or use a smartwatch?

I use an LG G Watch, which was the first Android Wear smartwatch to be released and shipped. It still works very well, but it is not getting the next major version upgrade. I'm planning to upgrade sometime this winter when I upgrade my phone. I've become so accustomed to a smartwatch that I would feel naked without it. I can't see myself going without one anytime soon!

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I too am switching from Windows to Android. I'm a Verizon user, grandfathered into their new system, so our bills are pretty cheap with five smartphone lines. With Microsoft focusing on business users with their smartphones, it's about time that I switch to Android. I'm amazed by the Pixel XL and plan on buying that (although I'm debating the white or the blue. Help me out!) Although that phone is 100% Google, I'm hoping some of the features can be disabled and replaced with Cortana, like Google Assistant. But that phone is beautiful, and I want it now. too bad I must wait until Black Friday :( but I will still keep checking out WCentral for news and the latest forum banter, else I'll miss it too much.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Just a footnote on this topic: B&H now has the 550 and 650 marked as Discontinued. So that explains the fire sale.
No way! Wow.

They are so random with what they discontinue. Glad I got it when I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss