Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Just watched a follow up video of a certain guy on YouTube who spent 2k for his Apple Experiment, and that video went viral, which was how I found him originally. Anyway, so he got the iPhone 7 and the comments are nuts. The strong loyalty that a good amount of people have towards one or the other is kind of disturbing since they are bashing his review, and the general platform with so much hate.

Why are some of us like this? It's one thing if it is a joke, but another to just completely bash like Google and/or Apple is paying you to bash the competition. I just don't get it. I was a hard core Windows loyalist, yes, but I can't recall if I was so mean about someone's choice to use a platform. All have pros and cons, it's just a matter of what the individual is OK with.
To be fair I have seen this kind of irrational loyalty with other companies. I have seen this behavior with T-Mobile for instance. I say this as a long time T-Mobile user who has been with them since they were Voicestream. I don't disparage someone who goes with Verizon etc. for instance. Everyone has their reasons. I think it's an innate tribal thing in that we are all guilty of it to some degree but as you say, it should never get to cult level.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
To be fair I have seen this kind of irrational loyalty with other companies. I have seen this behavior with T-Mobile for instance. I say this as a long time T-Mobile user who has been with them since they were Voicestream. I don't disparage someone who goes with Verizon etc. for instance. Everyone has their reasons. I think it's an innate tribal thing in that we are all guilty of it to some degree but as you say, it should never get to cult level.
It's called self-deception, and yes, we all do it to some degree. It's our way of trying to justify our decisions, thoughts, and actions.

I've tried all the major mobile platforms (and continue to switch around between them) and happen to be a fan of whichever one I'm using at the time. But I have never gone out of my way to bash other platforms or the people who use them.

I always say each platform has its own unique strengths and weaknesses. For each of us it comes down to which strengths we want and which weaknesses we are willing to live with.

Just get what you want and be happy. And it's okay to let others get what they want and be happy, even if they choose differently than you.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
It's called self-deception, and yes, we all do it to some degree. It's our way of trying to justify our decisions, thoughts, and actions.

I've tried all the major mobile platforms (and continue to switch around between them) and happen to be a fan of whichever one I'm using at the time. But I have never gone out of my way to bash other platforms or the people who use them.

I always say each platform has its own unique strengths and weaknesses. For each of us it comes down to which strengths we want and which weaknesses we are willing to live with.

Just get what you want and be happy. And it's okay to let others get what they want and be happy, even if they choose differently than you.

All this common sense comin' outta the walls here; I don't know if I can absorb it all. :amaze: Actually it does the heart good to be reassured once in a while that there's people like y'all.

Peace. Alan
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.01] Daily Driver :smile: Luxury Sedan Class
Lumia ICON [14955.1000] Daily Toy :winktongue: Austin Healey 3000 Class

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
I phone 📞 7 plus

Well I gone and done it upgraded from my Lumia 950xl after having Windows phones since the day's of Pda have I done the right thing don't know Will go back if there ever is a surface phone 📞 or something like bit of a sad 😢 day

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
...I've got an itch. I've diagnosed it as Pixel Rash and boy does it itch. I'm tempted to scratch it for relief but I'm not willing to part with the $$$ just yet. :winktongue:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
...I've got an itch. I've diagnosed it as Pixel Rash and boy does it itch. I'm tempted to scratch it for relief but I'm not willing to part with the $$$ just yet. :winktongue:
Haha yeah! All of these videos and articles about the Pixel being amazing, makes it so hard but as you said, that money though :confused:

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It's a nice phone, for sure. But I think it's a bit over-hyped like the iPhone.
Agreed. I keep having trouble remembering what was so great about it. Good camera, pure Android experience, and Project Fi compatible. And apps. I think that's it. Nothing to get too excited about compared to my 950XL. Well, those apps maybe.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I sold my Moto X Pure Edition to a coworker. His first (and only smartphone he's ever had) was the Lumia 925. He's had it for 3 years. The earpiece speaker went bad and when he was on the phone he had to use speaker phone.

He mentioned going Android but couldn't afford a high end one that he was interested in so I offered to let him test drive my Moto X. Long story short he loved the Moto X Pure so I sold it to him at an affordable price for him.

Now I'm hankering for another android device. That is the reason for my Pixel Rash itch ... but dang that's a lot of $$$. The other $$$ device I'm interested in is the LG V20.

However I'm just trying to resist these wants at the moment. Still happy with the remaining phones I have.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Now I'm hankering for another android device. That is the reason for my Pixel Rash itch ... but dang that's a lot of $$$. The other $$$ device I'm interested in is the LG V20.
The LG looks very good as well, but personally I can't bring myself to buy another 'skinned Android' phone after my Fire Phone (in my defense, it was effectively $80).

As for the Pixel, there's reason to believe that the next Pixel iteration will be a lot better since the current one seems to have been kind of rushed. But by the time that the next Pixel rolls around your Android itch might have turned terminal.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

Soooo much $$$$$$! I just have to figure out how to convince my company let me trade in my work Note 4 and have them purchase the Pixel for me... Fat chance.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
For me it would have to be the XL. Love my two big screen phones.

Yeah that makes sense since you have a note phone and the 950xl, right?

OMG, had a birthday thing tonight with friends and one of them had a Pixel. It's so nice looking in real life. He said that he liked it mostly.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah that makes sense since you have a note phone and the 950xl, right?

OMG, had a birthday thing tonight with friends and one of them had a Pixel. It's so nice looking in real life. He said that he liked it mostly.

I'm just a phone nut. I'd have a bunch of them if I had the money. They're both fun and useful. Can't say that about many things. Haven't tried iPhone though. Been using both WP and Android for about 5 years.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday I sold my Moto X Pure Edition to a coworker. His first (and only smartphone he's ever had) was the Lumia 925. He's had it for 3 years. The earpiece speaker went bad and when he was on the phone he had to use speaker phone.

He mentioned going Android but couldn't afford a high end one that he was interested in so I offered to let him test drive my Moto X. Long story short he loved the Moto X Pure so I sold it to him at an affordable price for him.

However I'm just trying to resist these wants at the moment. Still happy with the remaining phones I have.
Wait, do you still have the Z3?

And when you say your other phones, you mean all of them, right? I'm still wondering how you are adjusting to the size of the 950xl since it seems like most of your other phones have been smaller.

Plot twist: Even though the Pixel looks nice, I don't know how I feel about how "stock" it is. The Honor 8 has kind of ruined me...or at least it made me realize that stock Android is cool, but I also like small additions, like being able to change themes, hide apps, just small things. It looked very stock on my friend's phone tonight.

Because I'm fickle, it has me possibly looking at the Sony X compact, the same phone that I said is kind of pricey, just to try. I'll pass at $500 though but around and under 450 is kind of tempting. Seeing that it is on B&H now, ahh. Sony's variation appears to be not too bad. Maybe I will, maybe I won't.

Edit again: So a birdy on AC shared that it dropped to even lesser than that. Pulling that trigger in the morning most likely.

Last edited:

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
At work went from an LG G2 to an LG G3 to a Note 4 so gradually came to like the bigger screens. Had the 1520 for a bit and wound up firmly in the big screen love. Got a great deal on the 950 XL after using a 640. I still bring out the 640 from time to time. A little $30 gem. My favorites in WP are the my old Ativ S from Samsung, the 1520 and my current 950 XL. Was really disappointed about the Note 7. I actually like Samsung phones.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Ooh okay, I see. Yeah the 640 is a nice phone.

I love and prefer phones that can actually mostly fit lady pockets. My iPhone SE is great, aside from the lack of customization but let me be quiet about that :p

The Note 7 seemed like an awesome phone, it is a shame how that went down.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Ooh okay, I see. Yeah the 640 is a nice phone.

I love and prefer phones that can actually mostly fit lady pockets. My iPhone SE is great, aside from the lack of customization but let me be quiet about that :p

The Note 7 seemed like an awesome phone, it is a shame how that went down.

My supervisor at work just got the iPhone SE and loves it. Says everything "just works".

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I was at T-Mobile a few days ago and purchased an iPhone 7 for not even a whole 24 hrs under my current plan.
I'll say this about the iPhone. Very nice hardware and I actually liked using it. Very tactile responses on that device.

My only problem was getting my Apple ID straightened out as I could not purchase any apps. If it wasn't for that and the fact that the T-Mobile employees were not much help I would have probably stayed. Better experience than the androids I have used in the past.

In the end though I don't want to pay off devices anymore. Just buy them out right....unless of course we get the the Alcatel idol 4 but now that seems to be a question mark.
The 950 for me is more than enough phone and it serves it's purpose just fine.

In the end if I was to ever leave this platform I would definitely go with iPhone. As everyone has said who used/uses one. Everything " just works". After all isn't that what anyone expects from the devices they use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte