Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Wait, do you still have the Z3?.

Yes I still have the Z3 ... sitting in its box. The SIM card slot/contacts (or something else) is messed up. The cell signal will stop ... 'No Service' ... not nice to do that when I'm voice navigating or listening to streaming radio lol. I've removed the SIM, reset, plug in the SIM and all is well. Sometimes all day, sometimes for maybe an hour. I even got a brand new SIM but that didn't change anything. :eck:

I've adjusted somewhat to the larger display devices. I do a lot of reading/watching video on my devices. The 950XL is great for this! ... and so is the Moto X Pure (especially with those outstanding front facing speakers).

I prefer the smaller displays for portability/pocket. I'll usually use them during the workweek.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Yes I still have the Z3 ... sitting in its box. The SIM card slot/contacts (or something else) is messed up. The cell signal will stop ... 'No Service' ... not nice to do that when I'm voice navigating or listening to streaming radio lol. I've removed the SIM, reset, plug in the SIM and all is well. Sometimes all day, sometimes for maybe an hour. I even got a brand new SIM but that didn't change anything. :eck:

I've adjusted somewhat to the larger display devices. I do a lot of reading/watching video on my devices. The 950XL is great for this! ... and so is the Moto X Pure (especially with those outstanding front facing speakers).

I prefer the smaller displays for portability/pocket. I'll usually use them during the workweek.

Wow that sounds annoying to deal with. Sorry that you are dealing with that.

Ohh okay, cool. That's very cool. Glad to hear that you are liking that 950 XL!

Edit: So I ordered the X Compact and it is coming to me TODAY because I'm a bit impulsive...but really $10 for same day shipping isn't bad at all. It was either that or Friday (or next week, which I'm not doing). Not going to be able to play on Friday, and I just paid my credit card bill too. Oh well, happy November to me! Will share impressions even though my family will give me grief for ordering another phone, lol. Looking forward to having a phone with the apps AND the size I prefer together for me.

Last edited:

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
...I've got an itch. I've diagnosed it as Pixel Rash and boy does it itch. I'm tempted to scratch it for relief but I'm not willing to part with the $$$ just yet. :winktongue:
You got a trial period, I'm pretty sure, like 14 days or something, but then you'd suffer the restocking fee.

Peace. Alan
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.01] Daily Driver, Luxury Sedan Class
Lumia ICON [14955.1000] Weekly Toy, GT4 Class

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Wow that sounds annoying to deal with. Sorry that you are dealing with that.

Ohh okay, cool. That's very cool. Glad to hear that you are liking that 950 XL!

Edit: So I ordered the X Compact and it is coming to me TODAY because I'm a bit impulsive...but really $10 for same day shipping isn't bad at all. It was either that or Friday (or next week, which I'm not doing). Not going to be able to play on Friday, and I just paid my credit card bill too. Oh well, happy November to me! Will share impressions even though my family will give me grief for ordering another phone, lol. Looking forward to having a phone with the apps AND the size I prefer together for me.

HOLY HANNAH !!! ANOTHER PHONE ?!?! :winktongue:

Peace. Alan

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
HOLY HANNAH !!! ANOTHER PHONE ?!?! :winktongue:

Peace. Alan

Lol!

It turned out to be cheaper than the Pixel though by hundreds, even with my slight implusiveness, thanks to that $100 price drop! :winktongue: If I end up liking it, I will sell a phone, or two. I wouldn't just keep them all.

Last edited:

digitaldd

May 16, 2016
Visit site
For me another problem is that I can't stop Cortana from yelling reminders at me in Android. MS have it set up such that reminders are spoken out loud, and no option to disable that afaik. At least that's how it works on my Fire Phone (don't laugh) if the media volume is not at zero. That could be embarrassing in meetings..

So I need to get a FirePhone to actually get reminders from Cortana on Android?

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So I need to get a FirePhone to actually get reminders from Cortana on Android?
Want to buy mine? ;) For me they definitely work, on a Fire Phone with the Play Store sideloaded and Cortana installed via the Play Store. But I uninstalled because it was too creepy to have my backup phone start chatting to me out of the blue. So weird that there's no option to disable voice-based reminders.

fpena911

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I installed the Play Store on mine too in the little bit I had it. It actually turned it into a half decent Android device. I flashed it back to stock though before selling it.

The only thing it will not do it read the message automatically. But I can say, "OK Google, read my last text message(s)." It will say who it's from, and ask me if I want to hear it or skip it (the options vary based on whether I ask for "last message" or "last messages"). If I ask to hear it, Google Now will read it, and then ask if I want to reply, repeat, or go on to the next one. Again, the options vary based on if any are in the queue. Everything is 100% hands free.

If I reply, after the text is created it asks if I want to send it or change it. It does not ask for an audio preview. However, I can say "hear it" and it will read it to me.

Another cool thing is you can ask to hear the last text message, or the last text messages. You can also ask for the last text message from a specific contact. I can say, "Read the last text message from my wife's contact name." Or I can say my wife, even though her contact name is her real name. It will say when it was received, and then read it.

This is helpful as maybe my concerns are not so much lack of functionality on the Android side but just the fact that it works a little bit differently than it does on WP.

I have configured the "ReadItToMe" app so that is pretty much mimics what the WP phone does but I just hate having to use an app to provide functionality that used to be native on my 950.

Still using the Moto G4 and so far so good. Certain things I still prefer on the 950 like the UI and some small features like managing contacts. But the fact that I have access to such a vast library of utilities and apps makes up for it. I just wish the 950 had some decent push and marketing behind it so that it could shine.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have configured the "ReadItToMe" app so that is pretty much mimics what the WP phone does but I just hate having to use an app to provide functionality that used to be native on my 950.

I think using apps is part of the difference between WP and Android. WP does not have apps, so functionality must be built into the OS. Maybe it is more accurate to say that the WP OS would not allow apps to do things like this. Android has apps for everything, so native functionality is not necessary.

Also, deep app integration is possible in Android, making so apps can do pretty much anything. Only on Android can you install Tasker, and make your phone useless by telling Tasker to turn off the screen when it turns on. :grin:

But yes, I think you are correct in saying that the difference in text by voice is more a difference in how they work. I primarily use Android, but I would be the first to say that WP has Android beat in that regard.

The Moto X does texts almost exactly like WP. It is native to the device, but it is a Motorola added feature, not native Android. You might consider paying a little extra for the Moto X over the G4 if that feature alone is worth it to you.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If I read correctly ... T-mobile's running a deal. I can buy a new Pixel, enter the promo code 'PIXEL' on their site, show my proof of purchase within 30 days ... then I'll get a bill credit of $13.55 a month for 24 months ($325).
...the itch intensifies :sweaty:

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
If I read correctly ... T-mobile's running a deal. I can buy a new Pixel, enter the promo code 'PIXEL' on their site, show my proof of purchase within 30 days ... then I'll get a bill credit of $13.55 a month for 24 months ($325).
Link to the deal? Because that is beginning to sound attractive. Apart from that old-fashioned two year contract of course..

Edit: nvm, here it is: t-mobile.com/offer/google-pixel-phone-offer.html

Not that great for me. It requires a T-Mobile One plan (edit: or simple choice unlimited), which is "Unlimited everything for just $70/line per month when using AutoPay". Add $15 in taxes where I live, and it gets a little crazy. I'm OK with my $49 3GB GoPhone plan, including taxes.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Early first X Compact impressions:
-The size is excellent!
-Seems to be pretty snappy.
-Sony has so many apps, including Facebook, SwiftKey, and Spotify, preinstalled (bummer that it can't be removed for Facebook or the other 2 really).
-It seems pretty stock, which I don't know about.
-My Honor 8 feels huge when I pick it up now. lol.
-The superior auto mode in low light is disappointing. I need better lighting but comparing it to the Honor 8 and iPhone SE, it is clearly the loser.
-Manual is better though.

I have a weird feeling of interest and also wanting to not bother together, which doesn't make sense but I don't know how else to describe how I feel. I'll see how work goes with it tomorrow.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Its called Apathy Libra. And in more extreme cases, Melancholy. My lady friend.

--W
I guess so. It is the physical of what I would really want, but I'll see if it lives up to it. We'll find out. I was also super tired yesterday so I don't know if that had a hand in it too.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Link to the deal? Because that is beginning to sound attractive. Apart from that old-fashioned two year contract of course..

Edit: nvm, here it is: t-mobile.com/offer/google-pixel-phone-offer.html

Not that great for me. It requires a T-Mobile One plan (edit: or simple choice unlimited), which is "Unlimited everything for just $70/line per month when using AutoPay". Add $15 in taxes where I live, and it gets a little crazy. I'm OK with my $49 3GB GoPhone plan, including taxes.

Check this out: T-Mobile's 50% off Pixel promo now available for Simple Choice Unlimited customers

It's opened to Simple Choice customers too.

Sorry for the double post, but this is a different post from my previous one.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Check this out: T-Mobile's 50% off Pixel promo now available for Simple Choice Unlimited customers

It's opened to Simple Choice customers too.

Sorry for the double post, but this is a different post from my previous one.
Minor detail, it's open to "Simple Choice unlimited" customers. That third word tells me that's not going to be a cheap plan either. Basically they're willing to subsidize your phone, if you're willing to get locked into an expensive plan. Sounds familiar somehow. :)

Edit: Simple Choice unlimited has been discontinued, so it's only for keeping existing SCU customers, since new sign ups are not available.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm a Simple Choice Unlimited customer ... however, upon reading closely the offer is for the 32GB Pixel only ... I was eying the 128GB Pixel XL :eck:

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
14 day or more trial period.... pittance of a restocking fee if returned....:devil:
and 32 gigs with all the cloud you want ....:devil:

Peace. Alan
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14955.1000] Toy, GT4 Class

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Wow, how silly. o_o I see.

Speaking of silly, this Sony has been the most annoying Android EVER in syncing my Outlook contacts. Thinking of sending it back. I do all of the Android phones I have tried the same way that I always link to people who ask, without any issues but yet this has it. In 26 hours, it has gained and "lost" my contacts many times.

It might sound silly but what's a phone without contacts?

Edit: Decided to send it back after all. It's a nice phone, but not better than my other 2 phones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte