Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Wow, how silly. o_o I see.

Speaking of silly, this Sony has been the most annoying Android EVER in syncing my Outlook contacts. Thinking of sending it back. I do all of the Android phones I have tried the same way that I always link to people who ask, without any issues but yet this has it. In 26 hours, it has gained and "lost" my contacts many times.

It might sound silly but what's a phone without contacts?

Edit: Decided to send it back after all. It's a nice phone, but not better than my other 2 phones.

The easiest way I got my android phone to work with Outlook contacts is by moving them over to Gmail. You can export them as and import them fairly easily via the web.

I had issues with my current Sony Z3 but I assumed it was more to do with MS than with the actual phone as Sony is almost vanilla Android.

I'm still thinking about getting the Sony ZX but I'm still waiting to see what else crops up. The Pixel is not something I want but I wouldn't mind seeing one in person before I say absolutely no. I still think it's over priced for what it is.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The easiest way I got my android phone to work with Outlook contacts is by moving them over to Gmail. You can export them as and import them fairly easily via the web.

I had issues with my current Sony Z3 but I assumed it was more to do with MS than with the actual phone as Sony is almost vanilla Android.

I'm still thinking about getting the Sony ZX but I'm still waiting to see what else crops up. The Pixel is not something I want but I wouldn't mind seeing one in person before I say absolutely no. I still think it's over priced for what it is.

Ooh okay, I see. I saw that as a solution and I figured that would work but I can't do that because I manage an email list that is ever changing. I would just have to do the same thing every time someone is added to the list and that's a big hassle for me.

I thought it was Android too, but all of the other Android phones I have tried (so many, including the Honor 8), I just use Exchange to host them and I never run into issues.

The XZ looks like a nice phone, and since you are familiar with Sony, it could be a nice "upgrade" (quotes are for if you if you think it is, or if it is more of a sidegrade). Haha, it's funny that you say that. The Pixel is the only choice I have left in the small phone arena (not interested in the Galaxy S7, and the Huawei Nova seems like it isn't coming out statewise). Because of pricing, I will try that when there's a price drop (like at least 250 usd off) in the second hand market.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Ooh okay, I see. I saw that as a solution and I figured that would work but I can't do that because I manage an email list that is ever changing. I would just have to do the same thing every time someone is added to the list and that's a big hassle for me.

I thought it was Android too, but all of the other Android phones I have tried (so many, including the Honor 8), I just use Exchange to host them and I never run into issues.

The XZ looks like a nice phone, and since you are familiar with Sony, it could be a nice "upgrade" (quotes are for if you if you think it is, or if it is more of a sidegrade). Haha, it's funny that you say that. The Pixel is the only choice I have left in the small phone arena (not interested in the Galaxy S7, and the Huawei Nova seems like it isn't coming out statewise). Because of pricing, I will try that when there's a price drop (like at least 250 usd off) in the second hand market.

I have to admit my phone use is somewhat basic with contacts and email and I don't do overly fancy things with it. I've never used Exchange so no idea what issues there would be.

The XZ is an upgrade of the Z3 and I do like the way it looks. I'm just not sure about the camera and some other bits. I know the camera is good but sounds like the software is a bit meh. I've yet to see it in person as well so can't say much. At least it's got an SD card slot and IP68 rating which I like.

As for the Pixel I don't like the way it looks really and it's lacking a few things other flagships have, like IP68. The SD card I guess can be debatable but I find internal storage is always too small and phones cost too much for too little. 32MB is becoming the new entry level but I thought we'd be further along by now. But that's my personal opinion.

So I'm in a wait and see kind of thing at the moment. I think the price of flagships is a bit over the top at the moment. The prices were dropping but now all of them seemed to have jumped up again for what appears to be for little innovation.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The XZ is an upgrade of the Z3 and I do like the way it looks. I'm just not sure about the camera and some other bits. I know the camera is good but sounds like the software is a bit meh. I've yet to see it in person as well so can't say much. At least it's got an SD card slot and IP68 rating which I like.

As for the Pixel I don't like the way it looks really and it's lacking a few things other flagships have, like IP68. The SD card I guess can be debatable but I find internal storage is always too small and phones cost too much for too little. 32MB is becoming the new entry level but I thought we'd be further along by now. But that's my personal opinion.

So I'm in a wait and see kind of thing at the moment. I think the price of flagships is a bit over the top at the moment. The prices were dropping but now all of them seemed to have jumped up again for what appears to be for little innovation.
Hmm, I see. Hopefully as time goes on, you'll hear more about the XZ. I think it's going to get Nougat soon? Sony keeps releasing phones so if you aren't pleased, there's another rumored round around winter/spring?

I agree about flagship pricing even though I don't really buy them. At least not at launch lol. I think the Pixel is my only one that I want to try though. For the moment, I'll hang tight to my phones (the ones I'm claiming: Honor 8, iPhone SE, and Lumia 550) because I really like them a lot, even though I wish that I can combine what I really like about them together.

Not going to lie though, part of me is considering trying the Z5 compact so that I can say that I have tried everything LOL.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Pulled the trigger on a Z5 Compact since I just got that refund. I am just one of those people who wants to feel like I explored my options and that I chose the best one possible (a Libra trait! Half joking...). At the time, the Honor 8 seemed to be the best. Now that there's a Pixel in the mix now, it's either that or I try this out, which I wanted to try since earlier this year, but the price was nuts.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Pulled the trigger on a Z5 Compact since I just got that refund. I am just one of those people who wants to feel like I explored my options and that I chose the best one possible (a Libra trait! Half joking...). At the time, the Honor 8 seemed to be the best. Now that there's a Pixel in the mix now, it's either that or I try this out, which I wanted to try since earlier this year, but the price was nuts.
Are we allowed to put in a personal request for the next phone you can try? :grin:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Are we allowed to put in a personal request for the next phone you can try? :grin:
Lol! No :winktongue:
Small phones only, with at least midrange specs and not more than $400 and has Band 12. After this phone, I'm done with buying new ones for the rest of the year. Then it's on to the Pixel eventually, unless Sony or someone else comes out with a small phone with decent specs.

Tired of the 5.5" trend.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Lol! No :winktongue:
Small phones only, with at least midrange specs and not more than $400 and has Band 12. After this phone, I'm done with buying new ones for the rest of the year. Then it's on to the Pixel eventually, unless Sony or someone else comes out with a small phone with decent specs.

Tired of the 5.5" trend.
I've seen some 7 inch phablets which, to me, are already impractical. I can still remember when phones were going the other way, my tiny SE T610 being the smallest I ever had :winktongue:

Of course it wasn't a smartphone so didn't need a big screen.

JM_Thomas

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Much as I didn't want to, I went and got the LG V20. I am on VZW and since they are not going to get a Windows based phone anytime in the near future, just decided to go back to Android.

Not what I wanted, but no other options. AT&T and T-Mobile are NOT options in my area. VZW is it for acceptable coverage.

My Samsung ATIV SE was getting tired, though it runs amazingly on Win10M, but will keep it as a backup for any family member that needs an emergency phone.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I've seen some 7 inch phablets which, to me, are already impractical. I can still remember when phones were going the other way, my tiny SE T610 being the smallest I ever had :winktongue:

Of course it wasn't a smartphone so didn't need a big screen.
Wow. Not sure how to move around 7". lol
Much as I didn't want to, I went and got the LG V20. I am on VZW and since they are not going to get a Windows based phone anytime in the near future, just decided to go back to Android.

Not what I wanted, but no other options. AT&T and T-Mobile are NOT options in my area. VZW is it for acceptable coverage.

My Samsung ATIV SE was getting tired, though it runs amazingly on Win10M, but will keep it as a backup for any family member that needs an emergency phone.
I hope you like your V20.
I noticed that you said no other options. Why not a Google Pixel (XL), since it is available on Verizon?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Sure, that is easy to say this time of year! Good thing for you it is November and not January! :wink:

Lol, you're so nice to me. xd To be fair, you are right though. :grincry: I just know that B&H will send me a catalog again this month or next, haha.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
da680c63fd210f3c5f35c849919d7b69.jpg

Just hooked this cool little dude up. Really liking it so far. There are a few functions that are oddly missing....like being able to make reminders. Have no idea what that's all about. Hoping for an update, soon.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I will. Been playing with since last night.
Likes so far: 6 month Youtube Music trial (Really like just saying, "Play some Smashing Pumpkins" and off it goes), the mic is outstanding, it has understood everything I've said to it, more to come.
Dislikes so far: No Google Keep interaction (yet???). I could really use this functionality. It's really my only complaint so far. I'm sure I'll have more, though. Need more time with it.

Sent from mTalk

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I will. Been playing with since last night.
Likes so far: 6 month Youtube Music trial (Really like just saying, "Play some Smashing Pumpkins" and off it goes), the mic is outstanding, it has understood everything I've said to it, more to come.
Dislikes so far: No Google Keep interaction (yet???). I could really use this functionality. It's really my only complaint so far. I'm sure I'll have more, though. Need more time with it.

Sent from mTalk
For those interested, there's an in-depth review on Ars Technica:
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/11/google-home-review-a-step-forward-for-hotwords-a-step-backward-in-capability/

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Arrggggghhhhh!
So, every time the Google Pixel commercial comes on the tube, and the guy asks Google to locate Korean BBQ restaurants, my Google Home answers and starts telling me all of the restaurants around me that serve K-BBQ. Ha ha It is very, very sensitive to voice commands. :D

Sent from mTalk

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Arrggggghhhhh!
So, every time the Google Pixel commercial comes on the tube, and the guy asks Google to locate Korean BBQ restaurants, my Google Home answers and starts telling me all of the restaurants around me that serve K-BBQ. Ha ha It is very, very sensitive to voice commands. :D

Sent from mTalk
Well that sucks... LOL!

Thought it would have done voice training of some sort to prevent that.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
My wife has the Z5 compact and a guy at work does too.

The camera is better than the Z3, it's too small for me though.

The guy at work just had a problem with his. Some update caused it to go into a boot loop so had to reinstall the firmware.

My suggestion, though not sure if it's required, I'd probably do a reinstall of the firmware prior to using it. Just like all phones, sometimes the firmware ships corrupted.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, I see. Hopefully as time goes on, you'll hear more about the XZ. I think it's going to get Nougat soon? Sony keeps releasing phones so if you aren't pleased, there's another rumored round around winter/spring?

I agree about flagship pricing even though I don't really buy them. At least not at launch lol. I think the Pixel is my only one that I want to try though. For the moment, I'll hang tight to my phones (the ones I'm claiming: Honor 8, iPhone SE, and Lumia 550) because I really like them a lot, even though I wish that I can combine what I really like about them together.

Not going to lie though, part of me is considering trying the Z5 compact so that I can say that I have tried everything LOL.
I don't necessarily want a Sony but I don't see anything else I like currently.

Yes the Z5 and up are getting Nougat. Sony isn't the quickest at updates but you will get updated.

Apparently Z3 doesn't meet the specs for Nougat set by Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss