Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tboling

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Sadly leaving Windows Mobile

I'm on AT&T and the Alcatel isn't available. Plus, when I contacted Microsoft support about my phone doing random reboots and getting hot, they said they need to escalate the issue and they would call me back. It's been over a week, and no call back. Microsoft does not seem to even care to provide good customer service. They even outsourced their customer service for mobile to 3rd party. I could barely understand what they were saying. They never called me back. I just don't feel Microsoft cares about our business.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

Hi, with the problems with your Lumia 950, have you tried checking for firmware updates using the Windows Device Recovery Tool?
Or even a hard reset?

tboling

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site

I have done all of the above. I even petitioned AT&T to allow me to unlock my phone so that I could get the most current firmware updates, which they did. I have read that this problem seems to be pretty common. Some claim it is a battery issue, while others claim there is no true fix.

fpena911

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
SquareHome2 (with key) gives you Windows 10 and waaayyyyyy more already. see it at the Play Store. YOU WON'T BELIEVE IT !!!!!!!!

Peace. Alan
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.01] Daily Driver, Luxury Sedan Class
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14959.1000] Toy, GT4 Sport Class

Thank you for this recommendation, I love it!

Moved to the Android phone about 2-3 weeks ago for good. Still have my 950 and use it at home when I want to just read the news or play around on the OS. I still feel it is superior to Android in terms of the UI but as others have mentioned I love the flexibility and availability of everything on the platform. This tool you recommended makes me feel like I'm almost using the Windows phone!

It's still not as crisp and "professional" looking as the Windows 10 UI but it'll do. Thank you!!!

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for this recommendation, I love it!

Moved to the Android phone about 2-3 weeks ago for good. Still have my 950 and use it at home when I want to just read the news or play around on the OS. I still feel it is superior to Android in terms of the UI but as others have mentioned I love the flexibility and availability of everything on the platform. This tool you recommended makes me feel like I'm almost using the Windows phone!

It's still not as crisp and "professional" looking as the Windows 10 UI but it'll do. Thank you!!!
You are quite welcome there fpena911. BTW I think you've got the right approach too by still having your Win10M 950 to console you while you heal :winktongue:

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Daily Driver
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14965.1001] Hobby

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

Since I use Office, Skype Preview, Groove, and other Microsoft apps, which OS would you guys recommend? Or, should I abandon the Microsoft ecosystem all together?
You'll find MS makes their apps for OFFICE, OneNote and OneDrive and the others even BETTER for the Android and iOS. It hurts, but you'll heal.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Nolan Wood

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Absoutely in same boat and leaning iOS. Agree they have essentially abandoned the platform. No official announcements, no new devices. Very disappointed.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Absoutely in same boat and leaning iOS. Agree they have essentially abandoned the platform. No official announcements, no new devices. Very disappointed.
Nolan, you are in a v e r y L A R G E BOAT !!! Windows Mobile Phone has let ALL of us down.

Do it. And Happy Trails.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

anon(9057135)

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

You'll find MS makes their apps for OFFICE, OneNote and OneDrive and the others even BETTER for the Android and iOS. It hurts, but you'll heal.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.
I don't know lol OneNote on Android is pretty bad compared to OneNote on iOS :)

svknet

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
My Windows phone history consists of versions WP7.5 (2010) > WP7.8 > WP8 > WP8.1 > W10M (2016) which included handsets Samsung Omnia W, Lumia 620 and Lumia 830.

Moved (sort of) from Windows Mobile to Android. I mentioned sort of because I still continue to use my Lumia 830 as daily driver, but its just like feature phone only for calling and SMS. I have removed all Social apps, E-commerce, etc apps. Only kept few games for idle time.

Got Moto Z Play as alternate phone for internet related activity like Emails, FB, Twitter, Insta, Uber, Amazon, Maps, etc.
Android is too good with apps!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
This is probably a far shot, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Anyone around here have or tried Project Fi? i am considering trying it with a 5x possibly to see how that goes for me, coverage wise. Not going to give up my main line though, as I already know how I am with my phone switching. :winktongue:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
This is probably a far shot, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Anyone around here have or tried Project Fi? i am considering trying it with a 5x possibly to see how that goes for me, coverage wise. Not going to give up my main line though, as I already know how I am with my phone switching. :winktongue:

I did. I first signed up about a year ago, also with a Nexus 5X. Where I live, Verizon and AT&T are the strong carriers, with T-Mobile and Sprint being spotty at best. However, I did find that between the two of them, I had pretty good coverage with Project Fi. It does a good job of switching between the two.

A friend from church uses Project Fi, and his only complaint is that it seems to prefer T-Mobile. Where he lives, Sprint's service is stronger than T-Mobile's. He says it will use T-Mobile on a weaker signal even if Sprint has a better signal.

Where Project Fi shone for me was when I was traveling international. In December 2015 I went to Haiti. When I landed in Port-au-Prince, I immediately had coverage. Signal for calls and SMS was very good. Data was too when I wasn't too far out of the city or along well traveled roads, but I lost data when I got too far out in the country, which is understandable.

In May 2016 I went to India. I also had great coverage there, as well as during my lengthy layover in Dubai, UAE. I didn't make any phone calls, but data was charged at $10.00/GB, the same as in the US.

You can actually use Project Fi on pretty much any GSM phone (and possibly even T-Mobile locked devices) from what I've heard, but of course it will not use Sprint's service.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I did. I first signed up about a year ago, also with a Nexus 5X. Where I live, Verizon and AT&T are the strong carriers, with T-Mobile and Sprint being spotty at best. However, I did find that between the two of them, I had pretty good coverage with Project Fi. It does a good job of switching between the two.

A friend from church uses Project Fi, and his only complaint is that it seems to prefer T-Mobile. Where he lives, Sprint's service is stronger than T-Mobile's. He says it will use T-Mobile on a weaker signal even if Sprint has a better signal.

Where Project Fi shone for me was when I was traveling international. In December 2015 I went to Haiti. When I landed in Port-au-Prince, I immediately had coverage. Signal for calls and SMS was very good. Data was too when I wasn't too far out of the city or along well traveled roads, but I lost data when I got too far out in the country, which is understandable.

In May 2016 I went to India. I also had great coverage there, as well as during my lengthy layover in Dubai, UAE. I didn't make any phone calls, but data was charged at $10.00/GB, the same as in the US.

You can actually use Project Fi on pretty much any GSM phone (and possibly even T-Mobile locked devices) from what I've heard, but of course it will not use Sprint's service.

Hmm, this is really helpful, thank you! It's really interesting that it seems to prefer T-Mo. I have T-Mobile normally (which works for me, but it is fantastic in some areas I frequent), so I was just wondering if I would/could see a difference in coverage. In my metro area, all of the carriers work but of course, some are better than others. I know people on Sprint and it seems to be fine for them aside from speed differences.

Good to know that about Project Fi.

Woodchuck3400

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site

...My phone is now having the random reboot issues, and I'm due for an upgrade... Since Microsoft has openly abandoned us, I feel I have no other option but to go with Android or iOS. I. Leaning more towards iOS.

Since I use Office, Skype Preview, Groove, and other Microsoft apps, which OS would you guys recommend? Or, should I abandon the Microsoft ecosystem all together?

Out of curiosity, are you using a MircoSD card? I have the same problem with the random reboots and I figured out it was the card not the phone. LMK. I'm very curious.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

I don't know lol OneNote on Android is pretty bad compared to OneNote on iOS :)
I can't speak to iOS recently but I'll believe you on that because even the media points out that MS puts more dev into their iOS apps than they do their Android versions. BUT at the same time the general topic is always how MS puts more dev into their Android and iOS versions than they do the Windows Phone version.
My general point is you don't have to abandon a MS ecosystem just because you abandon their own Windows phone app versions

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14965.1001] Hobby.

Nolan Wood

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
My first windows based smartphone was the Moto Q on Verizon. This was 2006. It's been 10 years of promise and hope and next year.....and now even the promises have stopped. In my mind, the questions each individual has to answer for themselves are "Is the app gap an issue for me?" and "how important is it to me to know I'll have the opportunity to purchase a new flagship device each year?". The current OS works, and some people like being different, others like being different only until they feel entirely unsupported...fwiw.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
My first windows based smartphone was the Moto Q on Verizon. This was 2006. It's been 10 years of promise and hope and next year.....and now even the promises have stopped. In my mind, the questions each individual has to answer for themselves are "Is the app gap an issue for me?" and "how important is it to me to know I'll have the opportunity to purchase a new flagship device each year?". The current OS works, and some people like being different, others like being different only until they feel entirely unsupported...fwiw.
Everyone loves that new car smell but getting a flagship every year is not economically feasible for many. I think it's more important to select the best available device rather than cycle through everything out there until something sticks. As for the app gap, I think its safe to say that those of us who've stuck it out prioritize form and function over apps. At least I hope so, otherwise seek professional help for those masochistic tendencies . As you mentioned, the current OS works. Not perfect, but it gets the job done better than at any other point. The UI has taken a hit in the vain attempt to lure iOS and Android users with something familiar, but that ought to tell you how good it was in the first place.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
As for the app gap, I think its safe to say that those of us who've stuck it out prioritize form and function over apps.

True, but even that is opinion. Personally, I prefer the looks of WP's UI, but I don't like to use it. I think it is less efficient than the others. So, you might say I like the form, but not the function.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
True, but even that is opinion. Personally, I prefer the looks of WP's UI, but I don't like to use it. I think it is less efficient than the others. So, you might say I like the form, but not the function.
Would you mind sharing some things that are less efficient on WP? I'm curious because just the other day I thought to myself 'man, I just love how everything works'.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Would you mind sharing some things that are less efficient on WP? I'm curious because just the other day I thought to myself 'man, I just love how everything works'.

The biggest problem to me is that everything is too large, requiring a lot of scrolling. For example, the app shortcuts in the app drawer use the entire width of the screen. This means that most of the space is wasted. With the "grid of icons" on iOS and Android, more shortcuts are showing at once. On my Nexus 6P with default resolution, it shows 4 across and 6 down, which means I can view 24 app shortcuts without scrolling. The "grid of icons" on iOS and Android aren't the prettiest, but they sure work well on small screens. On Windows Phone I just find myself doing a lot of scrolling and tapping compared to iOS and Android.

Also, when I tap a Live Tile showing whatever I want to open, it just opens the app. It does not go directly to whatever was showing on the tile. I'm spoiled by Android's widgets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb