Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The biggest problem to me is that everything is too large, requiring a lot of scrolling.

Also, when I tap a Live Tile showing whatever I want to open, it just opens the app. It does not go directly to whatever was showing on the tile. I'm spoiled by Android's widgets.
Makes sense. Personally I have stuffed all my favorite apps in a mosaic of tiles (as opposed to grid of icons) on the start screen, which is still very compact, and with more visual cues to see where you are (tile sizes, shapes, etc). For the occasional hunt and peck for a non-pinned tile I use the tappable letters of the alphabet for quick navigation, but to each their own.

As for getting to right section after hitting a tile, this is called "chaseable tiles" right? I think this is coming soon(TM).

What I really appreciate over at least iOS is the ease of getting to wifi settings from the action center (long press), and the ease of changing media and app sounds (vol up, chevron down). So to me at least sometimes WP10 feels very efficient while iOS feels cumbersome. Maybe if I used iOS more I would find similar shortcuts there though.

That reminds me. I do miss two iOS tricks. One: tap the top of the screen to scroll to the top. Indispensable! And two: long-press reload in safari offers a 'reload as desktop' option. So handy..

anon(9668900)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
The biggest problem to me is that everything is too large, requiring a lot of scrolling. For example, the app shortcuts in the app drawer use the entire width of the screen. This means that most of the space is wasted. With the "grid of icons" on iOS and Android, more shortcuts are showing at once. On my Nexus 6P with default resolution, it shows 4 across and 6 down, which means I can view 24 app shortcuts without scrolling. The "grid of icons" on iOS and Android aren't the prettiest, but they sure work well on small screens. On Windows Phone I just find myself doing a lot of scrolling and tapping compared to iOS and Android.

Also, when I tap a Live Tile showing whatever I want to open, it just opens the app. It does not go directly to whatever was showing on the tile. I'm spoiled by Android's widgets.
I hate the grid of icons. There are too many of them showing up at once, and no real way of jumping to the right app. The jump list is something that I really want in Android, if ever there release a launcher with it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
A grid of icons is what we've had on desktop for 20 years. It's what we still have on desktop. Do you hate that?
I guess some people, myself included, prefer a clean home screen and would rather navigate straight to a desired prog instead of being bombarded with a "grid of icons" whenever they wake their phone or PC. I mean, that is the purpose of the Start button right? Besides, too many icons on the desktop saps RAM.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I guess some people, myself included, prefer a clean home screen and would rather navigate straight to a desired prog instead of being bombarded with a "grid of icons" whenever they wake their phone or PC. I mean, that is the purpose of the Start button right? Besides, too many icons on the desktop saps RAM.
Why not get cozy with Cortana?

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Daily Driver
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14965.1001] Hobby

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Tell Cortana what to open, close, what you wanna know, where you wanna go, where to eat, etc Peace. Alan Even when I lose, I win. Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Daily Driver Lumia ICON [Win10M 14965.1001] Hobby
Cortana is great for phones because we're usually on the go. But on desktop? By the time she figures out what I want, I've already opened it without error. I have yet to use Cortana on a non-phone. I have it turned on to get notifications and such, but I think it's useless for voice control. That's just me, no need to start a flame war over this.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Cortana is great for phones because we're usually on the go. But on desktop? By the time she figures out what I want, I've already opened it without error. I have yet to use Cortana on a non-phone. I have it turned on to get notifications and such, but I think it's useless for voice control. That's just me, no need to start a flame war over this.
What prompted the flame comment? What did I say to prompt THAT?

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
What prompted the flame comment? What did I say to prompt THAT? Peace. Alan Even when I lose, I win. Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Daily Driver Lumia ICON [Win10M 14965.1001] Hobby
Nothing, but it's been my experience that whenever anybody says something derogatory about a Windows feature, the sensitivity police come out sirens blazing. It's a self-preservation act, nothing more.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think the honeymoon period is over for my 550. I still love the size of it but when I used it, I felt like I was making too many compromises for various reasons. I hard reset it last night and removed it from my Microsoft account. I know that I should be done with buying phones, but I really feel like I should have a Windows phone with some power.

Also owning an iPhone SE and Honor 8 has me spoiled for camera and speed together (let's not talk about the apps, okay?) and having the 550 (and to an extent, the 640 on W10M) really feels like I compromised in both and that kind of sucks. Debating if I should try unlocked 650 from Cricket (really need Band 12 for my data needs at work). Multi platform fan problems...

Last edited:

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Nothing, but it's been my experience that whenever anybody says something derogatory about a Windows feature, the sensitivity police come out sirens blazing. It's a self-preservation act, nothing more.
Well that's a hell off a way to talk to someone, Just assume they may be looking for a fight with you. NO worries - you won't get any responses from me again, "fatclue".

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Well that's a hell off a way to talk to someone, Just assume they may be looking for a fight with you. NO worries - you won't get any responses from me again, "fatclue".

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Alan, I believe you took it the wrong way.

When it comes to certain things around these parts (an example is what fatclue said), the feelings that some have take the statement as a personal insult, rather than a platform reality/opinion.

One example is something I recently saw in comments about Continuum. Some say that it is a gimmick, I say that it is something I do not care for, and then others emerge saying that the person who said it is a gimmick is starting a war and they say that I'm not a true fan because I didn't care for it.

In my example, it went from having an opinion to someone feeling attacked so they attacked me and the other person. To avoid those kind of situations, it's easier to also state a disclaimer (i.e. this is just how I feel about x thing personally).

Kacchan

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site

I don't see it as self preservation :) it's really no different from the election drama tbh. You have a group of people who are tired of following leaders who don't seem to appeal to them (google and apple aka Hilary and trump in this case ) and don't want someone telling them why they shouldn't think/support what they do.

It's not self preservation as this really has nothing to do with surv ival. It's human nature

Kacchan

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
I am so torn. I have been living with iOS. I love the apple ecosystem but the operating system leaves a lot desired.

Android is nowhere the level of optimization or even quality of iOS and I feel annoyed utilizing it.

With the idol 4s, I am loving the Os but I miss a few apps.

I feel like I'm crazy for carrying both but in reality I'm not going to settle for one or the other. I want the best Os and I want the apps lol. My iPhone 7 is now officially an expensive iPod touch

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I am so torn. I have been living with iOS. I love the apple ecosystem but the operating system leaves a lot desired.

Android is nowhere the level of optimization or even quality of iOS and I feel annoyed utilizing it.

With the idol 4s, I am loving the Os but I miss a few apps.

I feel like I'm crazy for carrying both but in reality I'm not going to settle for one or the other. I want the best Os and I want the apps lol. My iPhone 7 is now officially an expensive iPod touch

Nah, you're not crazy. It's hard, and I can relate to you a bit. iOS works pretty well with Microsoft services for me and I enjoy that quite a bit since I can add and remove contacts and have that reflected in my Outlook contacts too.

With Android, you really have to choose well. The right phone has nice optimization. We all have our own ways. For me, I can't see myself without a Windows Phone but at the same time, I can't see it as my daily driver for long either. Lately, I have been finding myself using either my SE or my Honor 8 as the main phone but I do have a random day when I feel like using my Windows Phone (as a phone) and I do.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Good idea! The apps I miss the most are a working Waze or Google Nav. I wonder if I could keep an old iPhone in my car, tether it to my Lumia 950XL, and use it for navigation. :)

Kacchan

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
Good idea! The apps I miss the most are a working Waze or Google Nav. I wonder if I could keep an old iPhone in my car, tether it to my Lumia 950XL, and use it for navigation. :)
I don't see why you couldn't lol. I honestly think being platform agnostic is better because even though I carry two phones daily, I'm not feeling as I'm settling.

Kacchan

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
Nah, you're not crazy. It's hard, and I can relate to you a bit. iOS works pretty well with Microsoft services for me and I enjoy that quite a bit since I can add and remove contacts and have that reflected in my Outlook contacts too.

With Android, you really have to choose well. The right phone has nice optimization. We all have our own ways. For me, I can't see myself without a Windows Phone but at the same time, I can't see it as my daily driver for long either. Lately, I have been finding myself using either my SE or my Honor 8 as the main phone but I do have a random day when I feel like using my Windows Phone (as a phone) and I do.

It's not even a good or bad choice so much as I just literally can't with android. My mother's new moto g play actually looks really nice. The android hardware is enviable even if I am often repulsed by it's software.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Well that's a hell off a way to talk to someone, Just assume they may be looking for a fight with you. NO worries - you won't get any responses from me again, "fatclue". Peace. Alan Even when I lose, I win. Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Daily Driver Lumia ICON [Win10M 14965.1001] Hobby
Your Honor, the defense rests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786