Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The problem with "choosing well" with Android is you don’t know how deeply involved the OEM skin is unless you go the Nexus/Pixel route. It could have the latest CPU and the best GPU and 50 gigs of RAM but you won't know until you've used it for a couple of weeks. The bottleneck usually rears its ugly head a few weeks in and by that time you're out of any grace period for returns. Resource management has always been the Achilles Heel of Android and there’s no way around it. Is it better than just a few versions ago? Absolutely. But that's like saying Barium preps are much better now than before. They still turn you inside out, you just don't barf as much.
Fair point, but I think for some phones, that isn't as much of a thing. I have had my Honor for almost 3 months and it runs the same as the first day, even after 3 small updates.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The problem with "choosing well" with Android is you don’t know how deeply involved the OEM skin is unless you go the Nexus/Pixel route. It could have the latest CPU and the best GPU and 50 gigs of RAM but you won't know until you've used it for a couple of weeks. The bottleneck usually rears its ugly head a few weeks in and by that time you're out of any grace period for returns. Resource management has always been the Achilles Heel of Android and there’s no way around it. Is it better than just a few versions ago? Absolutely. But that's like saying Barium preps are much better now than before. They still turn you inside out, you just don't barf as much.
Another option would be Android devices by BlackBerry or Moto. Those don't have heavy skins (basically stock Android with a few features from BlackBerry or Moto).

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Another option would be Android devices by BlackBerry or Moto. Those don't have heavy skins (basically stock Android with a few features from BlackBerry or Moto).
I haven't used a newer Moto in some time so I'll defer to your personal experience. I have however, owned a Priv and I can say that the DTEK suite bogs the system from first use. Boot up time alone hearkens back to the BlackBerry OS7 days. Disabling some of the features helps but then you have just another Android. To make the BB features work as they do on OS10 must be very resource-intensive because the Priv can get very hot doing basic chores. I know the SD808 runs hot on some devices but that may be a product of software optimization rather than a bad chip. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Moto Pure runs on this silicon and I'm not aware of any heating issues with it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
After sticking with windows through the good old 6.5.3 days then 7 & 8 and finally 10... probably 11years in total a number of issues bubbled to the surface.

1) Amazon removed their app.
2) ebay removed their app.
3) my bank still didn't have an app.
4) my stock broker didn't have an app.
5) I wanted a multiroom speak system.... no apps.
6) strava has no app.
7) Gumtree has no app.
8) my company wouldn't support good for enterprise on windows. Due to some security issue.

Ebay was the straw that broke the camels back though.... I need that app! Lol

So I'm now on an S5 and tbh.... it's fine l. Sure the os is not as polished, the keyboard is not as good and the settings and general app layout is a disaster. But that said... I now have apps! I can check my bank balance, race friends on strava, configure my multiroom speaker system, trade stocks, buy and sell on ebay and Gumtree. No crashing, no sluggishness. .. it just works. The only thing that doesn't work in fact, is groove, which is an abomination! So I now need to move to Spotify or something! Hey ho, household subscription should do fine... something else I couldn't do on ms platform.

How do ms fix this? They stick it out, they innovate and hope and pray that the devs come.

If they don't, MS are in big trouble here. Make no bones about it, the next generation of kids are growing up using IOS and android, there's a chance ms could lose the OS battle completely.

M
I so feel your pain. I know I'm in the minority but BBM is my biggest loss. Being on Windows means finding a workaround. Amazon, eBay, PayPal and banks can be accessed via browser but there's no such solution for BBM. Gee, I wonder why I still carry my Passport during the week?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I know the SD808 runs hot on some devices but that may be a product of software optimization rather than a bad chip. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Moto Pure runs on this silicon and I'm not aware of any heating issues with it.
I had heating issues with the original Moto X Pure that I bought, but it was a defective device. The replacement I got runs ~20? cooler than the original.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Got the unlocked Cricket 650 today and whoa it is light! Nice looking though and yeah it is actually unlocked! Has Band 12 too so I plan to use that for data!

0f054640ed76e9ec8bb7d207e5dc50d2.jpg

If I like it and it works out, I'll need a back cover to not have the Cricket stamp anymore. I really hope it works out though since I'm out of Windows options unless I decide to get a 950 again.

sidtek50

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
I really, really needed to print an email today from my L950. After reading around, it turns out that I cant. Every day now I'm discovering more and more I can't do with the device. If it wasn't for my current circumstances I'd be looking for an alternative I'm afraid.

Kacchan

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
Re: [Real Users] My Alcatel Idol 4S Detailed Review

My honeymoon period with my official return to Windows is over. While I like it better than ios, certain refinements it lacks in comparison are annoying the crap out of me ha

Kacchan

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
Re: [Real Users] My Alcatel Idol 4S Detailed Review

Curious...what?

1. I noticed small things like rotation. On my iPhone it rotates instantly where as my idol 4s, has a second or two delay.

2. When someone sends me a picture when the message comes in or whenever you want to view the pic from the message its a jerky/choppy animation.

In general the animations on Windows 10 mobile don't feel laggy as android but they are just sort of choppy

Add in random error messages where my camera pops up with and closes.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
How do ms fix this? They stick it out, they innovate and hope and pray that the devs come.

If they don't, MS are in big trouble here. Make no bones about it, the next generation of kids are growing up using IOS and android, there's a chance ms could lose the OS battle completely.

M

I think the messages being sent out indicate that MS have largely lost interest in the platform, at this point in time, they recognise that they've lost and can't compete. I suspect that they still have a team working on it so as not to throw existing users under a bus, and primarily to keep the platform on standby in the hope that they may want to start it up again.

Nadella was interviewed recently and was asked about mobile.

If anything will come out, it won't be any time soon, so there's absolutely no point holding out for anything new at this time. I'm quite sure that there is no new features, or phones from MS being currently planned for the next year or two. Supporting the platform with their own apps is even starting to look tentative.

I strongly suspect that the bad news this year and market failure of W10M, has prompted a significant change in strategy. I can't imagine what innovation would pull MS out of their torpor, but it will have to be significant, so much so, that I really have my doubts that anything will come. For starters, we know that it can't be a 'killer app' since, no one will use it on W10M if it's exclusive, and MS will support it on all platforms anyway, giving users no reason to switch.

teiva

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Moving on for the moment

I love my 950XL and I love Win 10 Mobile. It is by far the best mobile OS in the market with integration amongst multiple hardware streams being it's most outstanding feature. I'm quite disillusioned with Microsoft themselves. For the moment they have abandoned the consumer market period. Support will continue for W10M. It is not dead and will continue to be developed. I was ok with lack of certain apps in the beginning . I understand it takes time to entice developers over, given the tiny market (relative to the other 2 main players). I believe the biggest obstacle to be overcome is Microsofts mindset. They are large enough to take a hit on W10M whilst developing for all their products. Unfortunately this is done at the expense of those faithful (like myself). I have quite a few products now dumped by Microsoft at a whim. It's frustrating for us. We are the ones that convinced our friends and family to come across to the OS only to see those very people abandon the platform basically because of the lack of apps. To cut a long story short, I'm back on Android as my main mobile driver. Do I like it, well yes and no. I do enjoy the apps again and it was something I sacrificed when I came across to W10M. Do I believe it's better then W10M, absolutely not. Integration is the one thing that neither IOS or Android have and I do miss it. I will at some stage revisit W10M. For the moment I'm back on the Android train for my mobile needs. PS. Kudos to MS for developing kick arse apps for android. That's the sort of effort they need to put in to their W10W apps.

jazen

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
Re: Moving on for the moment

To cut a long story short, I'm back on Android as my main mobile driver. Do I like it, well yes and no. I do enjoy the apps again and it was something I sacrificed when I came across to W10M.

I know how you feel. It is a shame when I first switched to Windows Phone, I already had a limited set of apps I actually used. Now that number is reduced to 5 remaining supported non-MS apps (facebook, gasbuddy, NextGen Reader, RideWithGPS, and ebay). Quite frankly, I have stuck to Windows Phone 8.1 because I am still bitter about the UI changes made to w10m and general quirkiness. While I understand the decision why they moved things around due to Universal Apps, there's no rhyme or reason for some things (the actual phone app for example with buttons at the top and bottom of the screen, despite not being on windows 10 desktop or tablet interfaces). It feels like android with launcher8 will be sufficient if I want sloppy button placement.

That being said, I have just purchased a Lumia 950 xl + Lumia 950 since my roommate wants the XL (upgrading from a 635), and I figure I would give the 950 a go.

What android phone did you end up with, if you don't mind me asking?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site

I used a few Android phones. The Note 4, Note 5 and a few of the Nexus models. I finally decided to use the Nexus 6 for the longest period of time. I soon ran out of love for Android and am now using an iPhone 6s Plus. Love it so far.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

I used a few Android phones. The Note 4, Note 5 and a few of the Nexus models. I finally decided to use the Nexus 6 for the longest period of time. I soon ran out of love for Android and am now using an iPhone 6s Plus. Love it so far.

**yaaawn** borrriiing LOL iPhone is so boring! android is a little more fun

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

I installed 14956 on my ICON via wifi on night #1, updated any apps, but then powered it off and tossed it on the shelf because I didn't have any service on it. I'd disco'd it when I got my S7 edge upgrade. I just ASSumed I shouldn't keep the service on the ICON cause of the cost.
So, yesterday, I figured I'd call VZW, ya know it bein' Black Friday and all - 46 minutes on hold BUT got VZW service on the ICON yesterday with 2 bonus gigs for life on my same account only $20/mo for service.
Anyway been driving it since yesterday and everything runs smooth as silk. She's sweet - I'll give her that. :love:

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Full Dresser :cool:
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14965.1001] Sportster :winktongue:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members