Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Moving on for the moment

Depends on your likes and dis-likes. I do have a Lumia 650 as backup. LOL
I would agree with this. Everyone is different.

At this point in time, I can't imagine not having one of each (I know I sound nuts :grin:). I might be a chronic switcher but I LOVE having the choice. Choosing well for Android has opened my eyes. I really enjoy my Honor 8. It's great that it feels like a middle ground to an extent for me. In fact, my smart band is still paired to it even though I have my sim in the 650 at the moment. At the same time though, I could also just fall into habit and just use my iPhone SE without a second thought. I have done that before.

Basically, I cycle and have texts all over all of my phones. I use the iPhone SE without thinking but then I "wake up" and I miss having a unique look to my phone so I switch. The Honor 8 is great still, but I do wish it was smaller (mainly shorter) and I have moments when that bothers me so I switch. Whatever Windows Phone I have (the verdict is not out yet for which one is meant to be the main phone) makes me feel like I have what I want together (smaller phone, unique look) but then I itch for not being able to read my books in an app because the app sucks here so I switch.

Oops that's longer than I intended.

I installed 14956 on my ICON via wifi on night #1, updated any apps, but then powered it off and tossed it on the shelf because I didn't have any service on it. I'd disco'd it when I got my S7 edge upgrade. I just ASSumed I shouldn't keep the service on the ICON cause of the cost.
So, yesterday, I figured I'd call VZW, ya know it bein' Black Friday and all - 46 minutes on hold BUT got VZW service on the ICON yesterday with 2 bonus gigs for life on my same account only $20/mo for service.
Anyway been driving it since yesterday and everything runs smooth as silk. She's sweet - I'll give her that. :love:

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Full Dresser :cool:
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14965.1001] Sportster :winktongue:
Nice Alan! That sounds pretty good.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

At this point in time, I can't imagine not having one of each (I know I sound nuts :grin:). I might be a chronic switcher but I LOVE having the choice. Choosing well for Android has opened my eyes. I really enjoy my Honor 8. It's great that it feels like a middle ground to an extent for me. In fact, my smart band is still paired to it even though I have my sim in the 650 at the moment. At the same time though, I could also just fall into habit and just use my iPhone SE without a second thought. I have done that before.

Basically, I cycle and have texts all over all of my phones. I use the iPhone SE without thinking but then I "wake up" and I miss having a unique look to my phone so I switch. The Honor 8 is great still, but I do wish it was smaller (mainly shorter) and I have moments when that bothers me so I switch. Whatever Windows Phone I have (the verdict is not out yet for which one is meant to be the main phone) makes me feel like I have what I want together (smaller phone, unique look) but then I itch for not being able to read my books in an app because the app sucks here so I switch.

I have always bought my ebooks from Amazon and Kindle is always one of the first apps I install on a setup. But I gotta say my ONLY way to read is with the Kindle on my iPad. Back before I retired, if a book had such a grip on me that I'd read it on my phone I'd just call in sick. Longest I ever called in sick for a book was 3 days lol. It helps that I'm a champion at sounding sick when I call in :winktongue:

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Full Dresser
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14965.1001] Sportster :love:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm a chronic switcher myself and message backup is one of those features that WM has had nailed for some time now. I wish I could use iOS on a regular basis but their jailhouse rules aren't conducive to productivity. A quick example is not having Miracast available. Continuum still needs work to be an everyday tool (overheats CPUs) so a quick connection via HDMI is enough for a quickie doc presentation. I can get that from a $30 L640!!!

I'm trying really hard to let go of my Passport but........

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I rarely buy ebooks, but I use Amazon Kindle to read library ebooks that I borrow.
My hardback library just got out of control. I found myself continuing to buy them just for "pride-of-ownership". And MAN loaning one out was absolutely painful knowing that the odds of getting it back was 50% at best. So I fought it but I think it was just a couple years after the Kindle came out and the apps soon followed - I switched over. But ya know if a book is positively dear to my soul I'll get the hardback AND the ebook :angel:
Also I find the iPad just as comfortable in my lap, in the La-Z-Boy as the physical book itself. I've got to have a few hundred ebooks now. And THEN theres the Gutenberg Library totally free!!!

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14965.1001] Sportster

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

I'm a chronic switcher myself and message backup is one of those features that WM has had nailed for some time now. I wish I could use iOS on a regular basis but their jailhouse rules aren't conducive to productivity. A quick example is not having Miracast available. Continuum still needs work to be an everyday tool (overheats CPUs) so a quick connection via HDMI is enough for a quickie doc presentation. I can get that from a $30 L640!!!

I'm on Verizon and if I'm not mistaken with their Messaging+ app you can have texts sms and mms hit all your VZW phones

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm on Verizon and if I'm not mistaken with their Messaging+ app you can have texts sms and mms hit all your VZW phones

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

I believe that's correct Alan but I'm on T-Mobile, where cellular users go to die.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My hardback library just got out of control. I found myself continuing to buy them just for "pride-of-ownership". And MAN loaning one out was absolutely painful knowing that the odds of getting it back was 50% at best. So I fought it but I think it was just a couple years after the Kindle came out and the apps soon followed - I switched over. But ya know if a book is positively dear to my soul I'll get the hardback AND the ebook :angel:
Also I find the iPad just as comfortable in my lap, in the La-Z-Boy as the physical book itself. I've got to have a few hundred ebooks now. And THEN theres the Gutenberg Library totally free!!!

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.
I just never bought many books even physical books, since I have always gone to the library and even worked at a library as my first job when I was 16. However, don't even about my vinyl and CDs; I have loads of those.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I just never bought many books even physical books, since I have always gone to the library and even worked at a library as my first job when I was 16. However, don't even about my vinyl and CDs; I have loads of those.
Boxes and Boxes of vinyl and about 400 cds. Nothing but mp3&4s now. I know I won't live long enough to see it but one day these info libraries of books and music and/or wifi will be built into our bodies. Then we can all do 'small houses'.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I have always bought my ebooks from Amazon and Kindle is always one of the first apps I install on a setup. But I gotta say my ONLY way to read is with the Kindle on my iPad. Back before I retired, if a book had such a grip on me that I'd read it on my phone I'd just call in sick. Longest I ever called in sick for a book was 3 days lol. It helps that I'm a champion at sounding sick when I call in :winktongue:

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14965.1001] Sportster :love:

That's awesome that you did that! Whoa! I think the Kindle app on WP has either stopped working or has been pulled and you can't even read in the browser either. Bummer.

I rarely buy ebooks, but I use Amazon Kindle to read library ebooks that I borrow.

I am the same as you! OverDrive is where it's at for me though. Too bad that the app on this platform is horrible, so I use Edge to read.

Well said. I am a big fan that I can hard reset my phone and still have my old texts populate here. That's true about iOS though, too.

I believe that's correct Alan but I'm on T-Mobile, where cellular users go to die.

LOL, also on T-Mobile too. Hence the whole wondering what phone that text is on or asking someone if they can send me an address again because "it's on my other phone".
Apologies for the double quoting lol

Nice! Do you remember what you did when you worked there? The library is a cool place for books and such, I appreciate working in one, it seems to be the only thing I am good at (haha)

Side note, I'm really pleased that you all are also into books. Just made my night.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Nice! Do you remember what you did when you worked there? The library is a cool place for books and such, I appreciate working in one, it seems to be the only thing I am good at (haha)

Side note, I'm really pleased that you all are also into books. Just made my night!
I worked as a page and a clerk.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Boxes and Boxes of vinyl and about 400 cds. Nothing but mp3&4s now. I know I won't live long enough to see it but one day these info libraries of books and music and/or wifi will be built into our bodies. Then we can all do 'small houses'.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.
I've digitised many of my CDs so I can listen to my albums on my mobile devices, but I rip them to FLAC rather than MP3 so the digital albums sound as good as the CDs.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

Side note, I'm really pleased that you all are also into books. Just made my night.

I'll bet if you'd been asked, out of the blue, if we were readers, you'd have thought about it and said yes.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I've digitised many of my CDs so I can listen to my albums on my mobile devices, but I rip them to FLAC rather than MP3 so the digital albums sound as good as the CDs.
Digitizing vinyl is straight up sacrilege. If Peter Frampton or Carlos Santana ever show up in Cleveland you must beg for their forgiveness. :cool:

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Did you know that Neil Young was the driving force behind getting FLACs off the ground and runnin'?

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Digitizing vinyl is straight up sacrilege. If Peter Frampton or Carlos Santana ever show up in Cleveland you must beg for their forgiveness. :cool:
Sort of related, but I use a DAC when listening to CDs. They change the digital cd output back to analog and pass it to the amp. I use it on all my CDs.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

I kept the final version of WinAmp Pro because it rips to FLAC. And it runs on Win10!!!

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077