Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Sort of related, but I use a DAC when listening to CDs. They change the digital cd output back to analog and pass it to the amp. I use it on all my CDs.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Full Dresser
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14965.1001] Sportster

My biggest gripe with digital music is the lack of depth in recordings. I grew up in the 70s listening to the best R&B and rock music ever recorded. I'm sure you remember, as I do, listening to Quadraphonic stereo back in the day. Nothing even comes close.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
My biggest gripe with digital music is the lack of depth in recordings. I grew up in the 70s listening to the best R&B and rock music ever recorded. I'm sure you remember, as I do, listening to Quadraphonic stereo back in the day. Nothing even comes close.
Man, I'm tellin' ya. Get a DAC - anywhere from $100 to $4000.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Welp ! Time to curl up with a ebook and that 97lb Black Lab.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Sort of related, but I use a DAC when listening to CDs. They change the digital cd output back to analog and pass it to the amp. I use it on all my CDs.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.
So do I. I have a FiiO Q1.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I like 70s music too, which anyone probably can tell by my avatar.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Moving on for the moment

**yaaawn** borrriiing LOL iPhone is so boring! android is a little more fun
I've heard this about iPhone and even some people have said the same about android.

What makes something boring?

At my age and seeing how things developed and how tech companies go out of their way to make the most money possible from their tech by slowing down development on purpose, I have a hard time not calling anything boring.

Thing is, at the end of the day, today's tech is about doing things with it. iPhone, android and even WP accomplish this. So you might as well say all tech is boring because they all do the same thing.

Nolan Wood

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Somebody may find this helpful. My short time with iOS has revealed something hugely disappointing - Microsoft's apps are far better here than on their own OS! Ugh, really? They even treated their own apps like step children.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Somebody may find this helpful. My short time with iOS has revealed something hugely disappointing - Microsoft's apps are far better here than on their own OS! Ugh, really? They even treated their own apps like step children.
Ya' know I've heard that a LOT. So I took my ICON and S7edge (not iOS, I know) both for rides on Outlook, OneNote, OneDrive which are the only MS apps I really rely on and though there's differences I have no complaints. BUT I CAN'T speak to Word, Excel, Power Point, admittedly because I've never had a need other than to 'read' them on a phone.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I've heard this about iPhone and even some people have said the same about android.

What makes something boring?

At my age and seeing how things developed and how tech companies go out of their way to make the most money possible from their tech by slowing down development on purpose, I have a hard time not calling anything boring.

Thing is, at the end of the day, today's tech is about doing things with it. iPhone, android and even WP accomplish this. So you might as well say all tech is boring because they all do the same thing.
You have a great point.

For me, it's boring because you can't change much. You can only change your wallpapers and ringtones, and of course, put the apps you don't want in a never ending folder. (I know that in iOS 10, you can "delete" some apple apps, but I'm speaking generally)
Android is more interesting because you can change as much as you want and even hide apps with some phones and launchers. Additionally, depending on the phone, you don't have to have all of your apps in your face either.

When it comes to hardware, there are only 3 sizes, and 5 color choices for the iPhone. Android has many choices. Everyone can say that they have Android on their phone and yet, none of them have the same phone and they don't even look the same on the home screen(s).
A point that drives this home for me is something that happens quite a bit when I use my iPhone SE while with friends. My SE is rose gold and has a white front, and one of my friends has one too, also white front but gold. She always wonders if it is my phone or hers when mine lays on a chair or table.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

You have a great point.

For me, it's boring because you can't change much. You can only change your wallpapers and ringtones, and of course, put the apps you don't want in a never ending folder. (I know that in iOS 10, you can "delete" some apple apps, but I'm speaking generally)
Android is more interesting because you can change as much as you want and even hide apps with some phones and launchers. Additionally, depending on the phone, you don't have to have all of your apps in your face either.

When it comes to hardware, there are only 3 sizes, and 5 color choices for the iPhone. Android has many choices. Everyone can say that they have Android on their phone and yet, none of them have the same phone and they don't even look the same on the home screen(s).
A point that drives this home for me is something that happens quite a bit when I use my iPhone SE while with friends. My SE is rose gold and has a white front, and one of my friends has one too, also white front but gold. She always wonders if it is my phone or hers when mine lays on a chair or table.

I have nothing against customisation but I've often wondered why people make such a big fuss over it. But I know it has to do with the idea of 'ownership'.

If I look at it from a user perspective. You look at your lock screen maybe for 1 - 2 seconds. You look at your wallpaper for all of 2 - 3 seconds before tapping the notification or app you want.

As for bloatware, yes I agree that having that on there is really annoying and I can appreciate why people want to delete it, which is why I pointed out my issue with slow development and Apple is a big culprit in this one. Though there are others.

The key thing in all this is interface to me. What's easy to use and can you set it up to use the way you want? That's what's important.

I've never used an Apple device so I have no idea of it's interface. Both WP and Android offer ways for you to use the phone the way you want. Which I like. I should point out that live tiles was never a big draw for me.

So for me as a user, what's important to me is how easy is it to do the things I want to do? Which is why I pointed out that technology is about doing things these days. When you get down to it, all mobile devices now are just rectangular shaped slabs, just slightly different. There's little innovation there. What's important is how it's used and what you can use it for. That is the key thing.

That's ignoring the camera side of things, which is a whole other conversation.

Last edited:

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: An honest Lumia 920 review: Why I'm returning to an iPhone 5

So do I. I have a FiiO Q1.

For those interested, there is a (somewhat quiet) thread on using a DAC on WP here. If you have a second, please share your experience in that thread.

Nolan Wood

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Fair. Some of it may be design related, therefore, subjective. I will say that connecting to my exchange server while once quick, simple, ez on windows phone began experiencing frequent failures and difficulties - No such problem on iPhone. There is a fluidity here that wasn't there in windows 10 mobile, where everything from excel to sway were occasionally cumbersome. That said, Siri is the dunce of the class compared to Cortana, and I don't think iOS is better in and of itself than Windows. I'm only 5 days in with iOS, but so far I would say that my initial thoughts are accurate - the only real deal breaker is the eco-system or oft mentioned "app-gap". Certainly windows 10 mobile is slightly buggier, particularly in how it relates to peripherals and web, but it is every bit as capable or more so in the areas I use most.

Kacchan

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
Today I discovered that I'll have to stick with iOS even if I don't want to. I'm getting a raise at work lol. And there's an app they use and it isn't on windows 10. Which I wasn't surprised about.

I wouldn't be too bothered because it still emails you but the problem is with windows 10 is that the email randomly doesn't work and doesn't always push instantly.

So I'm stuck using an iPhone I can't really stand as my main device lmao and the idol is my new secondary line for good.

I really do hate the fact apps are limiting my choice of what os I want to use.

Bright side is that I'm not whining about a lack of ridiculous apps like Snapchat or Pok?mon go.

So not really switching as it is still my daily driver as I still need it for my side business work. I Just use it 30/70

jkhill74

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I find myself realizing that my experience with Windows phone will soon end. I think Windows Mobile has such great possibilities and I think it's an OS that people can come to love over iOS or Android. I think Microsoft could make better inroads into the market share but it seems they just aren't in to it at present.

If they are serious about being a contender in the phone market they must resolve the lag or non-existence in apps. There a ton of frivolous apps out there but also a lot of useful apps. Anytime I see an app mentioned as part of a product or service that I can use, its only available for iOS or Android.

On the other hand, the Microsoft apps that I use on a regular basis are available on iOS and Android. It seems I have nothing to lose and everything to gain by making a change. Microsoft also seems to be actively working to make all their apps available on other OSs.

I tend to conclude that Microsoft has no current general interest in the phone market. I see where Microsoft can now run Windows 10 on an ARM cpu using an x86 emulation. Its a shame they cant emulate Android on Windows 10 Mobile to make all the existing apps available. Im the first to admit I have no clue what that would entail and its probably not realistic but Microsoft seems hard at work to make their stuff run on different OSs but they dont lift a finger to either develop or invest in developers to make stuff run on their own OS. Would it be worth Microsofts effort to invest in development of those apps that will run on Windows Mobile and thereby make it an OS that people will consider?

Well thats about it. I just had to present a little frustration here. I like Microsoft Windows Mobile and I like using my Band but presently I see no future. Microsoft doesnt seem willing to at least throw us a bone. Everything is rumor and a couple years away. Perhaps there is no bone to throw. So, I will make a change and hope some time down the road there will be a Windows Mobile/hardware path I can return to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb