Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: To Buy or not to buy?

Threw mine in the bin yesterday

Feels better don't it?

Never mind that someone in your life could have used it. Forget about a WiFi connected MP3 and video player that would do in car navigation without data via HERE Maps.

Forget the environment and recycling.

Hope you broke it first so nobody could get any value out of it.

Sorry you didn't get the memo that all you had to do was install the Windows Upgrade Advisor App to get on W10M. Welcome to the forum.

Tejas Javery

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
For windows, i started with 610. Then went to 720. Then 535. Then 640xl. Then lumia 830. From there, the question arose for most people, whether they should change the platform or not. Well, not for me though. I simply saved for any year and half, got lumia 950xl. Next aim? HP elite x3 now. I want that phone bad. But well, no money. I am a student. And that phone can help me like crazy in my studies. So yeah. Waiting for that. If unfortunately, i am never able to get it, i shall wait for the surface phone. Pretty sure it will take me years to afford one, but then i only want windows.
There was a time when ios was considered exclusive and uncommon. ( in asia at least.) now windows is in that stage.
It has the best UI. Lack of app supports? I do not care. All that i need, is in here. So yeah. Windows all the way! ;)

scott miller10

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site

Really, show me where and how and I'll happily remove or update my comment.

Because last time I checked my build 8.10.15148.160 was NOT eligible for an upgrade to windows 10.

A quote from Windows Central:

"If your 640 handset is on Windows Phone 8.1 and has an OS version greater than 8.10.15116.125, you will not be able to upgrade to Windows 10 Technical Preview currently."

"I know this news is disappointing. This is a temporary, not permanent, situation. Without going into great technical detail, I will summarize and say that if you are on a build greater than the one noted above and update to Windows 10 Technical Preview, your device would not be able to recover back to Windows Phone 8.1 if you were to encounter any device troubles or decide the Preview wasn't to your liking."

scott miller10

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site

It felt great actually, flinging it in a recycling bin.

Why would I intentionally give something rubbish and almost unusable to anyone I know, plus what I do with my property is my business.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Show me where and prove that my build would be eligible?

If so then I may try it out on my son's 640 LTE
You have to download an app called Upgrade Advisor to get the update. Open it and run it. If it says you're eligible, just go to phone update to download it.

mgalvin

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Been thinking about how MS can turn this ship around.... for me the answer is continium and the recently announced Intel on ARM project. Stick that together with the old Astoria project and things begin to look interesting. A true pc in your pocket, that you can use at home and at work... running any app. I'd buy that... for sure.

Update on my move to android on the S5... well, things are starting to go slooooow. The Phone is not enjoyable to use right now, compared to windows it's a pain. I've decided I'm going to blast a custom ROM on the device to try and improve things... so I'm back to the good old windows mobile 6.5 days! Lol

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It's funny how each platform has their annoyances. I'm not going to get into all of them, but there is one that annoys me for iOS. MMS settings are annoying.

As a chronic switcher, I have used iOS, Windows Mobile, and Android all in a week timespan. iOS is the only one that makes me reset my network settings in order to receive MMS. Putting my sim into my Honor 8 and whatever Windows Phone requires no work. Why is this? I don't get it. Sometimes I don't feel like switching to iOS because having to reconnect securely to my work network is annoying.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's funny how each platform has their annoyances. I'm not going to get into all of them, but there is one that annoys me for iOS. MMS settings are annoying.

As a chronic switcher, I have used iOS, Windows Mobile, and Android all in a week timespan. iOS is the only one that makes me reset my network settings in order to receive MMS. Putting my sim into my Honor 8 and whatever Windows Phone requires no work. Why is this? I don't get it. Sometimes I don't feel like switching to iOS because having to reconnect securely to my work network is annoying.
I haven't used iOS so far, but that would be a pain to me. I've swapped SIM in Windows Mobile and Android, and I never had to do anything to get MMS to work, even on an unlocked Android device. My Windows Mobile device is carrier branded.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

What kind of iPhone do you have? I've never had that problem before. Are you on a prepaid?

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
What kind of iPhone do you have? I've never had that problem before. Are you on a prepaid?

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk
Nope.
iPhone SE, SIM-free from the Apple Store. Before, I didn't have this issue, but I guess since I switch so much, the MMS doesn't populate as it should? My WiFi, and cellular data are just fine when I do my switching, it's always the MMS that breaks.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Nope.
iPhone SE, SIM-free from the Apple Store. Before, I didn't have this issue, but I guess since I switch so much, the MMS doesn't populate as it should? My WiFi, and cellular data are just fine when I do my switching, it's always the MMS that breaks.

Too much switching. Your SIM card's probably just dizzy. I'm switching tomorrow for a few myself. I can never stay away from this Pre 3 for very long. But I do need to let my thumbnails grow a little. Typing on this tiny keyboard can be a little trying at times.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Too much switching. Your SIM card's probably just dizzy. I'm switching tomorrow for a few myself. I can never stay away from this Pre 3 for very long. But I do need to let my thumbnails grow a little. Typing on this tiny keyboard can be a little trying at times.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

I love that you're responding with one! So cool!

I'm sure you're right, but I'm not going to stop. I try not to change multiple times in a week but sometimes I really can be over dealing with something or I want to play with something new, like a new Windows 10 Mobile update. :grincry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos