Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Re: Why Did I Switch to Android? – The Lost Opinion of a Windows Mobile Fan

Hello Beloved Windows Central Community :smile:,
I switched to Android and I would like to share my opinion from fair software experience comparison from both Windows Mobile 10 and Android 6 Marshmallow, along with its pros and cons of each operating system in my opinion.

**Before get started, I would like to layout a solid foundation to keep everyone in their sane mental state. I am not defending Windows Phone, Android, nor iOS in any matter. I am simply laying out my experience and opinions between both mobile phone operating systems.

I would also like to note that I have and during the period have only been using Windows Phones ever since 2011. Yup – 6 Years (boy does time fly). From Windows Phone 7.0 to Windows Mobile 10 (Developers Preview), you name it.

I have had various low, mid, and high end Windows Phones across my 6-year journey Including: Samsung Omnia W, Nokia Lumia 1520, Nokia Lumia 520, Nokia Lumia 525, Nokia Lumia 635, & finally Microsoft Lumia 640. This will be about software experience, for now we will keep hardware performances out of the software discussion as I would like to focus solely on the software experience.

I was there for Microsoft then and I still am supportive for Microsoft today.

Let’s get started….

Why did I switch?
1.Great Deal on unlocked phone & I needed a change.
I found a great deal on a Sony Xperia X Unlocked Phone. I also I think I have been using Windows Phone for a long time so I think mentally it was time for a change.
2.Windows Mobile 10 is ughhh & App Unreliability
Yes, yes, I know what your thinking, “it works well on my phone”, “seems faster”, “I have never had any issues”. If you are saying these in my opinion you are unfairly being blinded by your personal Windows Phone Attachment. I personally think Windows Mobile 10 had great potential but is a failure software wise. There is no good built in integration, and the app reliability and performance is mediocre. How many times must we see this “resuming” screen. I believe Windows 7 Mango was the best, everything was perfect, integration, speed, multi-tasking. I forever support windows phone but Windows Mobile 10 has had various flaws. I still think even the official release should be a beta and not official.
3.App Gap.
Yes, yes, “Windows Phone has a third-party version app…”, “Snapchat is for losers…”, “We don’t need all these apps”. Well that is not the point… The point is that every individual with a mobile phone utilizes various apps for various reasons. In my case useful apps such as American Airlines, Lyft, Amazon, Gmail, YouTube are very useful. These apps are either not reliable on windows phone due to lack of support or updates, or do not exist.

Android 6 OS Experience?
Overall I can say that I am having great experience with Android OS.
Pros?
-Amazing multi-tasking fluidity, smooth OS, various apps with amazing app support. You can be sure to always get the latest updates asap for a long time. Because apps are being more supported you can expect similar apps that have innovative features that are not available on the Windows Mobile 10 platform at all. Look at Messenger(Android) vs Messenger (Windows Mobile 10). Honestly, it’s a joke…. I was even shocked to realize what I have been missing. Amazon even….
-Better software to battery management features.
-Did I mention that Microsoft Services and Apps, are better on Android? ******************

Cons?
-Too many apps to download even. I surprisingly had a little overwhelm with the vast number of android apps available to download.
-Rare App Crashes (very minor).
Windows Mobile 10 Software Experience?
Pros?
-Amazing Live Tiles, and Start Menu Design.
-Great Lock screen interface and icon designs.
Cons?
-Overall stability and un reliability tarnishes the live tile and start menu design.
-Low App Support
- “Resuming” Screen
-Not many OEM Phone Options…

What Surprised me the most…………….
All Microsoft Services & apps are 100000x better on Android than Windows Mobile 10, in terms of features, performance, looks, and UI. This is seriously unacceptable on Microsoft’s part. Let me list a few….
Outlook, Cortana, Bing, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, LinkedIn, Skype, Skype for Business, Groove Music (use as my music player from expandable microSD)! Honestly if you are a Microsoft fan, I do not see any reason why you do not switch to Android. Microsoft applications are light years ahead on Android (I’m sure the same goes for iOS).
OH, remember HERE MAPS? That is also available on Android with Offline Maps available. I used this app many times throughout my windows phone journey.
What do I as a Dedicated Windows Phone Fan think about the future or Windows Phone?
Windows Phone as a long way to go in the consumer aspect. Although I love their UI, Microsoft needs to be able to improve their app responsiveness, and their own apps on their platform to make it marketable. There are many signs that Microsoft in my opinion has given up on the consumer market.
Hint**
-low to almost nonexistent app support
-Not much support for other OEM vendors anymore.
-Nokia HMD is supportive of ANDROID now.

Expectation of Surface Phone?

Dead for the consumer market. Possible Success in the enterprise business market.
Will I wait on surface phone…? Maybe. I am excited to see what Microsoft should offer with the Surface Phone. Although the surface phone has promising chip set and hardware potential, that does not necessarily mean developers will go producing Windows Universal Apps for Windows 10 Mobile. In fact I predict that the Surface Phone will only be useful in business/enterprise level like the HP Elite 3 with the dock station support.

Feel free to ask me any questions. Please excuse typos It is 2:05AM :asleep:
Thanks, and have a nice day.

I agree to most of your comments. I used android for a while and while everything works well as you said, I find the android UI so boring like ios. So despite the w10m issues, I recently bought a Lumia 950 and enjoying it. It's a lot better now than a year ago and the camera is just fantastic. Im not a big app user so that gap isn't a deal breaker for me.

What surprises me is the fact that Microsoft should be able to get the developers to get all their own applications to work well in Windows similar to android and ios. Plus it shouldn't be that hard for them to get major apps such as Instagram, all major banking and airlines apps to work on windows. If they could do these simple things Windows os will attract a lot more users.

Sent from mTalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Instagram is actually updated frequently and generally has most of the features of it's Android/iOS versions. It is missing 2 things really, which is progress considering how things are for other official apps.

I agree with the post, aside from the Nokia point. It's not logical to try something for one OS, get burned doing so, and somehow aim for the same OS again. Why would they not try the other side to see how that goes for them?

Techno04335

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site

I agree to most of your comments. I used android for a while and while everything works well as you said, I find the android UI so boring like ios. So despite the w10m issues, I recently bought a Lumia 950 and enjoying it. It's a lot better now than a year ago and the camera is just fantastic. Im not a big app user so that gap isn't a deal breaker for me.

What surprises me is the fact that Microsoft should be able to get the developers to get all their own applications to work well in Windows similar to android and ios. Plus it shouldn't be that hard for them to get major apps such as Instagram, all major banking and airlines apps to work on windows. If they could do these simple things Windows os will attract a lot more users.

Sent from mTalk
I agree, but I think this is done on purpose. Microsoft is really good at business, I am sure they are utilizing most of their resources outside of Windows Mobile as the demand for Microsoft Apps are much higher toward Android and iOS platform than the latter. I think that Microsoft will allow an open canvas/sandbox per say allowing developers to develop on the Windows Mobile 10 platform eventually(allowing more developers to port apps). However in the end, just because this canvas is opened does not mean developers will move to Microsoft, especially if there is no promising mobile market share.

I on the other hand will still follow along Microsoft with my Lumia 640 through the Developers Preview. I am curious to see what Microsoft as to offer in this trending mobile environment.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm back. Sent my Pixel phone back yesterday. I have a new 950 so hopefully I won't have the issues that plague me the first time.

Sent from mTalk

I've been tempted so many times to return to Windows Phone. It's not like Android is the worst thing in the world but I can't escape that blah feeling. The only thing that's stopping me is Microsoft. I can't overlook that they have basically stopped development of new exciting features. For a platform that's already lacking, it would be nice if MS provided something genuinely new to the platform. It's been a while since I've seen a must have feature.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I've been tempted so many times to return to Windows Phone. It's not like Android is the worst thing in the world but I can't escape that blah feeling. The only thing that's stopping me is Microsoft. I can't overlook that they have basically stopped development of new exciting features. For a platform that's already lacking, it would be nice if MS provided something genuinely new to the platform. It's been a while since I've seen a must have feature.
Great point. I have liked the little things, yes but it would be cool if there was something new.

Who am I kidding? If a smaller phone with decent specs came out, I would try it in a heartbeat :grin: Maybe that's not the best word, but it would dominate my phone thoughts unless it was priced high for a phone in general.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I did the same. After trying multiple android phones including the pixel sold all of them and bought a new Lumia 950 on holiday super sale. While pixel and dtek60 are nice phones I cant get used to android..

Why did you return your pixel?

Sent from mTalk
My thoughts on the pixel can be found here. I wrote a full review of my experience. http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=5634388

Sent from mTalk

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site

Hello Beloved Windows Central Community :smile:,
I switched to Android and I would like to share my opinion from fair software experience comparison from both Windows Mobile 10 and Android 6 Marshmallow, along with its pros and cons of each operating system in my opinion.

**Before get started, I would like to layout a solid foundation to keep everyone in their sane mental state. I am not defending Windows Phone, Android, nor iOS in any matter. I am simply laying out my experience and opinions between both mobile phone operating systems.

I would also like to note that I have and during the period have only been using Windows Phones ever since 2011. Yup – 6 Years (boy does time fly). From Windows Phone 7.0 to Windows Mobile 10 (Developers Preview), you name it.

I have had various low, mid, and high end Windows Phones across my 6-year journey Including: Samsung Omnia W, Nokia Lumia 1520, Nokia Lumia 520, Nokia Lumia 525, Nokia Lumia 635, & finally Microsoft Lumia 640. This will be about software experience, for now we will keep hardware performances out of the software discussion as I would like to focus solely on the software experience.

I was there for Microsoft then and I still am supportive for Microsoft today.

Let’s get started….

Why did I switch?
1.Great Deal on unlocked phone & I needed a change.
I found a great deal on a Sony Xperia X Unlocked Phone. I also I think I have been using Windows Phone for a long time so I think mentally it was time for a change.
2.Windows Mobile 10 is ughhh & App Unreliability
Yes, yes, I know what your thinking, “it works well on my phone”, “seems faster”, “I have never had any issues”. If you are saying these in my opinion you are unfairly being blinded by your personal Windows Phone Attachment. I personally think Windows Mobile 10 had great potential but is a failure software wise. There is no good built in integration, and the app reliability and performance is mediocre. How many times must we see this “resuming” screen. I believe Windows 7 Mango was the best, everything was perfect, integration, speed, multi-tasking. I forever support windows phone but Windows Mobile 10 has had various flaws. I still think even the official release should be a beta and not official.
3.App Gap.
Yes, yes, “Windows Phone has a third-party version app…”, “Snapchat is for losers…”, “We don’t need all these apps”. Well that is not the point… The point is that every individual with a mobile phone utilizes various apps for various reasons. In my case useful apps such as American Airlines, Lyft, Amazon, Gmail, YouTube are very useful. These apps are either not reliable on windows phone due to lack of support or updates, or do not exist.

Android 6 OS Experience?
Overall I can say that I am having great experience with Android OS.
Pros?
-Amazing multi-tasking fluidity, smooth OS, various apps with amazing app support. You can be sure to always get the latest updates asap for a long time. Because apps are being more supported you can expect similar apps that have innovative features that are not available on the Windows Mobile 10 platform at all. Look at Messenger(Android) vs Messenger (Windows Mobile 10). Honestly, it’s a joke…. I was even shocked to realize what I have been missing. Amazon even….
-Better software to battery management features.
-Did I mention that Microsoft Services and Apps, are better on Android? ******************

Cons?
-Too many apps to download even. I surprisingly had a little overwhelm with the vast number of android apps available to download.
Windows Mobile 10 Software Experience?
Pros?
-Amazing Live Tiles, and Start Menu Design.
-Great Lock screen interface and icon designs.
Cons?
-Overall stability and un reliability tarnishes the live tile and start menu design.
-Low App Support
- “Resuming” Screen
-Not many OEM Phone Options…

What Surprised me the most…………….
All Microsoft Services & apps are 100000x better on Android than Windows Mobile 10, in terms of features, performance, looks, and UI. This is seriously unacceptable on Microsoft’s part. Let me list a few….
Outlook, Cortana, Bing, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, LinkedIn, Skype, Skype for Business, Groove Music (use as my music player from expandable microSD)! Honestly if you are a Microsoft fan, I do not see any reason why you do not switch to Android. Microsoft applications are light years ahead on Android (I’m sure the same goes for iOS).
OH, remember HERE MAPS? That is also available on Android with Offline Maps available. I used this app many times throughout my windows phone journey.
What do I as a Dedicated Windows Phone Fan think about the future or Windows Phone?
Windows Phone as a long way to go in the consumer aspect. Although I love their UI, Microsoft needs to be able to improve their app responsiveness, and their own apps on their platform to make it marketable. There are many signs that Microsoft in my opinion has given up on the consumer market.
Hint**
-low to almost nonexistent app support
-Not much support for other OEM vendors anymore.
-Nokia HMD is supportive of ANDROID now.

Expectation of Surface Phone?

Dead for the consumer market. Possible Success in the enterprise business market.
Will I wait on surface phone…? Maybe. I am excited to see what Microsoft should offer with the Surface Phone. Although the surface phone has promising chip set and hardware potential, that does not necessarily mean developers will go producing Windows Universal Apps for Windows 10 Mobile. In fact I predict that the Surface Phone will only be useful in business/enterprise level like the HP Elite 3 with the dock station support.

Feel free to ask me any questions. Please excuse typos It is 2:05AM :asleep:
Thanks, and have a nice day.
I thought Microsoft apps were better until I used Cortana and Microsoft's keyboard. I have no idea why they made Cortana so bad on android and the keyboard has to be from Windows 8 or something. I don't even understand why it has almost no current features.

Sent from mTalk

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
My thoughts on the pixel can be found here. I wrote a full review of my experience. I just bought my first Android phone. Here's what I think. - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Sent from mTalk

Your thread has convinced me to leave my Android phone in the bag while I'm on vacation next week. I'll just throw my SIM into my 1520 instead. I'm not anti Android, and I don't think I'll come back to WP any time soon, but man it has been a pain to get my Idol 3 to play nice with my Microsoft services.

It all started with, which should be the simplest of tasks, syncing my contacts. The first time I tried, it would not sync my Outlook contacts. Then I finally got it to sync and it duplicated contacts. Then once I got that sorted, it wouldn't save contact pictures. Oh boy! I solved the problem by importing all my contacts to my new (forcefully created) gmail account. I would later say f-it and returned to my Outlook contacts because I'm defiant like that.

I understand not everyone has the same problem. I'm sure there are plenty of Android users that synced their Outlook contacts without an issue. It's unfortunate that I wasn't one of them. But it's not just that, I also prefer Outlook, OneDrive, Groove, and (bizarrely enough) Edge on WP. It really makes me lament that Microsoft has put WP on the back burner until Windows on ARM comes later this year. And when that happens, who even knows what WP will look like by then.

To me, Google is like Nintendo right now. They're not a bad company, they make some great stuff, but I find it hard to get interested in their products. Despite owning an Android phones, I don't regularly read Android blogs. I don't have any desire to revamp my entire device ecosystem around Google/Android. I just wish Microsoft on Android was better than what it is.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Your thread has convinced me to leave my Android phone in the bag while I'm on vacation next week. I'll just throw my SIM into my 1520 instead. I'm not anti Android, and I don't think I'll come back to WP any time soon, but man it has been a pain to get my Idol 3 to play nice with my Microsoft services.

It all started with, which should be the simplest of tasks, syncing my contacts. The first time I tried, it would not sync my Outlook contacts. Then I finally got it to sync and it duplicated contacts. Then once I got that sorted, it wouldn't save contact pictures. Oh boy! I solved the problem by importing all my contacts to my new (forcefully created) gmail account. I would later say f-it and returned to my Outlook contacts because I'm defiant like that.

I understand not everyone has the same problem. I'm sure there are plenty of Android users that synced their Outlook contacts without an issue. It's unfortunate that I wasn't one of them. But it's not just that, I also prefer Outlook, OneDrive, Groove, and (bizarrely enough) Edge on WP. It really makes me lament that Microsoft has put WP on the back burner until Windows on ARM comes later this year. And when that happens, who even knows what WP will look like by then.

To me, Google is like Nintendo right now. They're not a bad company, they make some great stuff, but I find it hard to get interested in their products. Despite owning an Android phones, I don't regularly read Android blogs. I don't have any desire to revamp my entire device ecosystem around Google/Android. I just wish Microsoft on Android was better than what it is.

It's not just you at all. I have noticed that some Android phones play differently when it comes to the whole contacts from Outlook thing. I normally do the Exchange way so that I can read and add. That generally works but not with Sony phones on MM.

Anyway, I get you on this and I deal with the same thing on my Honor 8. It somehow made my outlook have three accounts: Outlook, Exchange and Corporate. So adding any contacts is just confusing and I don't add when I am using that phone. I just add on my iphone and sync or online and sync. Stupid yes, but it works and my events and contacts don't get lost.

I hate to be one of those that say it just works on iOS but it really does when it comes to this. I never have any issues and Outlook accounts are added as exchange accounts by default.

Techno04335

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site

I thought Microsoft apps were better until I used Cortana and Microsoft's keyboard. I have no idea why they made Cortana so bad on android and the keyboard has to be from Windows 8 or something. I don't even understand why it has almost no current features.

Sent from mTalk

Not sure about the keyboard. I have not downloaded that on my android phone yet. But I will say Microsoft is constantly pushing updated to their android apps, and little to no updates with their app equivalents on Windows Phone. It is quite disappointing. I suggest you try the latest Microsoft apps I have listed on android for a test run (word, power point, outlook) you will be surprised. I plan to make a video soon comparing the Microsoft Software differences on Windows Phone and Android to demonstration, via my Lumia 640 VS Sony Xperia X. Cheers C:

Techno04335

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
It's not just you at all. I have noticed that some Android phones play differently when it comes to the whole contacts from Outlook thing. I normally do the Exchange way so that I can read and add. That generally works but not with Sony phones on MM.

Anyway, I get you on this and I deal with the same thing on my Honor 8. It somehow made my outlook have three accounts: Outlook, Exchange and Corporate. So adding any contacts is just confusing and I don't add when I am using that phone. I just add on my iphone and sync or online and sync. Stupid yes, but it works and my events and contacts don't get lost.

I hate to be one of those that say it just works on iOS but it really does when it comes to this. I never have any issues and Outlook accounts are added as exchange accounts by default.

I understand your frustration. But in fact I think when you switch mobile environments you are in a sense forced to make a environment account (live,gmail,apple id) and then integrate other environment contacts with it. I will say Android is kind of difficult to compare account/contact sync services as diffrent OEMs have unique/different sync features from others. etc (Samsung Galaxy S7 marshmallow vs Sony Xperia X marshmallow).

I will + windows phone for having a simple contact and integration system! It seemed to be always simple.

Techno04335

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
Instagram is actually updated frequently and generally has most of the features of it's Android/iOS versions. It is missing 2 things really, which is progress considering how things are for other official apps.

I agree with the post, aside from the Nokia point. It's not logical to try something for one OS, get burned doing so, and somehow aim for the same OS again. Why would they not try the other side to see how that goes for them?

You make a valid point. Because of the low market share, I think it difficult for larger OEMS and software vendors to support Windows Phone, regardless of how open their environment is in terms of app portability and even the upcoming x86 ARM support

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Not sure about the keyboard. I have not downloaded that on my android phone yet. But I will say Microsoft is constantly pushing updated to their android apps, and little to no updates with their app equivalents on Windows Phone. It is quite disappointing. I suggest you try the latest Microsoft apps I have listed on android for a test run (word, power point, outlook) you will be surprised. I plan to make a video soon comparing the Microsoft Software differences on Windows Phone and Android to demonstration, via my Lumia 640 VS Sony Xperia X. Cheers C:
I previously used SwiftKey, which is Microsoft's Android keyboard. However, I've since found that Gboard works better for me.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed that some Android phones play differently when it comes to the whole contacts from Outlook thing.
The biggest problem for Android since day 1 - fragmentation. I can honestly say the only 2 Androids I've ever had which gave me 0 fits with contact setup were my G5 and Priv. The G5 required only 1 step to clean up dupes and that was in settings. The Priv - perfect.

I've had Notes 1-4, S series, a smattering of Blu throwaways, HTCs and all kinds of LGs. The worst were definitely the TouchWiz Samsungs. Let's not even talk about duplicate calendar events.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I understand your frustration. But in fact I think when you switch mobile environments you are in a sense forced to make a environment account (live,gmail,apple id) and then integrate other environment contacts with it. I will say Android is kind of difficult to compare account/contact sync services as diffrent OEMs have unique/different sync features from others. etc (Samsung Galaxy S7 marshmallow vs Sony Xperia X marshmallow).

I will + windows phone for having a simple contact and integration system! It seemed to be always simple.

I agree, I have tried a good amount last year, which includes Sony, Google (Nexus), Nextbit, HTC, and Honor of course.

In my experience, outside of WP, Apple makes it easy. Sometimes I get tired of thinking of what I can't do. I already over think a lot, don't need another thing to add to it.

The biggest problem for Android since day 1 - fragmentation. I can honestly say the only 2 Androids I've ever had which gave me 0 fits with contact setup were my G5 and Priv. The G5 required only 1 step to clean up dupes and that was in settings. The Priv - perfect.

I've had Notes 1-4, S series, a smattering of Blu throwaways, HTCs and all kinds of LGs. The worst were definitely the TouchWiz Samsungs. Let's not even talk about duplicate calendar events.

Wow, jealous of your Priv experience. That's awesome. Didn't know that experience was possible. Ahh the double calendar events suck!

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

Not surprised to see the Priv getting it right. My Passport did it perfectly as well. Must be a BlackBerry thing. :grin:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Not surprised to see the Priv getting it right. My Passport did it perfectly as well. Must be a BlackBerry thing. :grin:
What gets me is that Matias Duarte, the father of webOS, had been in charge of software development since Honeycomb and ICS. You would think that the mastery of Palm's Synergy would have found its way into Android. Even today my Touchpad has my contacts and calendars on the money. Contact pics and all including Skype contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb