Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Your thread has convinced me to leave my Android phone in the bag while I'm on vacation next week. I'll just throw my SIM into my 1520 instead. I'm not anti Android, and I don't think I'll come back to WP any time soon, but man it has been a pain to get my Idol 3 to play nice with my Microsoft services.

It all started with, which should be the simplest of tasks, syncing my contacts. The first time I tried, it would not sync my Outlook contacts. Then I finally got it to sync and it duplicated contacts. Then once I got that sorted, it wouldn't save contact pictures. Oh boy! I solved the problem by importing all my contacts to my new (forcefully created) gmail account. I would later say f-it and returned to my Outlook contacts because I'm defiant like that.

I understand not everyone has the same problem. I'm sure there are plenty of Android users that synced their Outlook contacts without an issue. It's unfortunate that I wasn't one of them. But it's not just that, I also prefer Outlook, OneDrive, Groove, and (bizarrely enough) Edge on WP. It really makes me lament that Microsoft has put WP on the back burner until Windows on ARM comes later this year. And when that happens, who even knows what WP will look like by then.

To me, Google is like Nintendo right now. They're not a bad company, they make some great stuff, but I find it hard to get interested in their products. Despite owning an Android phones, I don't regularly read Android blogs. I don't have any desire to revamp my entire device ecosystem around Google/Android. I just wish Microsoft on Android was better than what it is.

My only Android experience is with the PIxel. It was able to import all my contacts with no problem but it did give me a warning that it was a one way sync so no contacts added from the Pixel would show up in outlook later. I actually kind of like this better because I've had countless issues with updating contacts in outlook only to find that the phone contact overwrote the info I put in on my desktop.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: Why Did I Switch to Android? – The Lost Opinion of a Windows Mobile Fan

Not sure about the keyboard. I have not downloaded that on my android phone yet. But I will say Microsoft is constantly pushing updated to their android apps, and little to no updates with their app equivalents on Windows Phone. It is quite disappointing. I suggest you try the latest Microsoft apps I have listed on android for a test run (word, power point, outlook) you will be surprised. I plan to make a video soon comparing the Microsoft Software differences on Windows Phone and Android to demonstration, via my Lumia 640 VS Sony Xperia X. Cheers C:

I have tried them and I do indeed think they are nice with the exception of the calendar in outlook. I never got it to once display month view. Weirdest missing feature.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I see a lot of complaints about setup and compatibility here. I can say I had none of these issues with the Pixel. Everything was straight forward to setup and go. I really just wish google assistant wasn't so painfully bad.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I see a lot of complaints about setup and compatibility here. I can say I had none of these issues with the Pixel. Everything was straight forward to setup and go. I really just wish google assistant wasn't so painfully bad.

It depends how you set it up. It sounds like you set up your contacts to be read only. From what I hear, the foolproof way is to export contacts from Outlook and import into Google.

It is really phone dependent though, my own experience is a testimony (lol), and I think that sucks. The Google phones weren't so bad.

Techno04335

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
The biggest problem for Android since day 1 - fragmentation. I can honestly say the only 2 Androids I've ever had which gave me 0 fits with contact setup were my G5 and Priv. The G5 required only 1 step to clean up dupes and that was in settings. The Priv - perfect.

I've had Notes 1-4, S series, a smattering of Blu throwaways, HTCs and all kinds of LGs. The worst were definitely the TouchWiz Samsungs. Let's not even talk about duplicate calendar events.

This perfectly concludes what I mentioned: "I will say Android is kind of difficult to compare account/contact sync services as diffrent OEMs have unique/different sync features from others. etc (Samsung Galaxy S7 marshmallow vs Sony Xperia X marshmallow)." C:

Techno04335

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
It depends how you set it up. It sounds like you set up your contacts to be read only. From what I hear, the foolproof way is to export contacts from Outlook and import into Google.

It is really phone dependent though, my own experience is a testimony (lol), and I think that sucks. The Google phones weren't so bad.

This is what I ended up doing to get my Windows Phone Contacts to my Sony Xperia X. It's a little bit technical. I doubt the average joe would want to put all that effort.

Techno04335

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
Overall I'm still curious how Microsoft will do with the Surface Phone. Although it will have x86 support I assume the phone will utilize the Universal Apps. I can see it having a lot potential being able to run basically a full fledged version of Windows 10. My main interests for the Surface Phone include:
-UI Design and Integration. Especially with upcoming Neon UI
-Marketing for more App support
-Hardware and Cost
-Will it be targeting Enterprise or Consumer?

With x86 Support, I don't see this as a primary selling point for consumers, when you can simply use Apps on other Mobile Operating Systems. I think it will boost the use case for the Continuum.

I think Microsoft always has good ideas in Mobile hardware and software, but either fails to market the device, or enters the device to late into the market.

Remember Zune? I remember the Zune when it first came out. I had the Zune 4GB, and still have the Zune HD. It was way ahead of Apples iPhone with Wireless Sync, HD FM Radio integration, OLED screens, and more. But I think we can conclude if you cannot market your products features properly or at the right time most no one will be convinced unfortunately.

It's like what I always say: Even if you were the most knowledgeable person in the world, if you cannot explain to anyone that you are knowledgeable, they won't think you are knowledgeable.

But any-who we will see. I'm excited to see what Microsoft will bring to the table C:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
This is what I ended up doing to get my Windows Phone Contacts to my Sony Xperia X. It's a little bit technical. I doubt the average joe would want to put all that effort.
It's so weird that you mentioned that you did that for that particular phone because a part of me wants to consider doing that for the smaller version of it, even though I have never done that before.

Sounds silly but I'm seriously considering that as a possibility, but no moves until the month ends.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

Groove Music (use as my music player from expandable microSD)!

Does Groove on Android recognize music on the SD card? I know there's not a setting to tell it where to download music so it'll default to phone (unless I missed that setting), but does it see music on the SD card if you have it there?

Techno04335

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site

Does Groove on Android recognize music on the SD card? I know there's not a setting to tell it where to download music so it'll default to phone (unless I missed that setting), but does it see music on the SD card if you have it there?

Hello jdballard, I should have mentiond that this can be dependent on if the mobile devices OEM sprinkled Android Phone OS supports app transfer to the SD Card. I have read online that some devices are picky with this feature and even if you port Groove to the SD Card it may not detect the the music content in the storage. I did this on my Xperia X and it works perfectly. If you cannot do that, I recommend using Pulsar Music Player. It is another great music player on Android.

MrA2Z

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Samsung Omnia 7 ---> Lumia 920 ---> Lumia 950 (after three years wait). It was a huge mistake to spend hard earned cash on Lumia 950. MS is simply not interested in their own platform. Mr Nadella has killed Windows Mobile/Phone. I am not fan of Apple nor Android but now off to Androif in couple of months. We supported MS but they never.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

I have an Alcatel Idol OneTouch 3 and Groove does not recognize the music on my SD card.

Techno04335

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
I have an Alcatel Idol OneTouch 3 and Groove does not recognize the music on my SD card.

Could be the special case as I mentioned. Try Pulsar. It is very similar.

Samsung Omnia 7 ---> Lumia 920 ---> Lumia 950 (after three years wait). It was a huge mistake to spend hard earned cash on Lumia 950. MS is simply not interested in their own platform. Mr Nadella has killed Windows Mobile/Phone. I am not fan of Apple nor Android but now off to Androif in couple of months. We supported MS but they never.

I felt that way through my years of experience on Windows Phone. But alas it is a business decision. If only Microsoft had more market share on the mobile platform, then we would be getting great features.. :C

Last edited by a moderator:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I felt that way through my years of experience on Windows Phone. But alas it is a business decision. If only Microsoft had more market share on the mobile platform, then we would be getting great features.. :C
Chicken or the egg dude. If there were more apps, the market share would be higher.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I've been using the included JBL app. It's no Groove but it gets the job done.

I like HibyMusic and Poweramp for my own music from my collection. HibyMusic supports FLAC files using a DAC and USB OTG adapter.

Techno04335

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
Chicken or the egg dude. If there were more apps, the market share would be higher.

But that brings us back to the first problem. If companies like Snap-chat, Facebook, Instagram, American Airlines, or Amazon, see that there is too low of a market share to update or in some cases even create an app on Windows phone they will not even bother to support it. On the other hand if Microsoft struggles to market their phones and windows phone OS to consumers, It also does not help.

It is a chain reaction. Microsoft has to make their phones competitive/innovate not only in hardware and software reliability (we all know Windows Mobile 10 release was horrible, which did not make a great impression.), but also in being able to market the hardware and innovation properly.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It's so weird that you mentioned that you did that for that particular phone because a part of me wants to consider doing that for the smaller version of it, even though I have never done that before.

Sounds silly but I'm seriously considering that as a possibility, but no moves until the month ends.
I take this back, I don't want to do this. I don't think it would be worth it. With iOS being plug and play, I'm not sure if this is worth it.

My reasons for doing this was because of customization and having something "unique" looking. It's not worth the trouble for an inferior camera when it comes to low light performance.

On that note, I used my Honor 8 for a second tonight and I hate the Android-Outlook contact struggle. Not going to do anything nuts, but iOS is looking better right now since aside from Windows 10 Mobile, it's the only one where I don't have to do more work to make my contacts work. Also considering trying a skin on my SE. Decisions, decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)