Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Not me. I still check these boards but I don't see myself ever going back to WP in the future.

You have any idea how many times I've read the same exact post you just wrote? It's cool though, if Windows doesn't fill you up that's why there's choices. Just remember how important it is to have choices. I'm not on Windows Mobile right now either. I don't feel like carrying 2 phones so I'm having to make do with an iPhone 6S Plus. First it was 1 app for work but now it's 3 that have been dropped from the Store. One week with this rig and I'm already looking into web-based options so I can return. Regardless of what others say, the Outlook experience on WM skunks the others. Especially for Office365 accounts like I have. My VP was drooling when he saw what my departed Idol's Outlook and Calendars were like. Unfortunately, ComputerEase, FieldEase and SmartSheets are history and we live and die by them.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Careful what you wish for, you might just get it. These boards are littered with people who leave and keep coming back knowing full well there's no apps and even fewer phones.

This is so true. It's hard.

When I first tried both Android and iOS for the first time last year, I thought that maybe iOS is my best choice to still have the missing apps on WP. I was good for almost 6 weeks (I think) but then the lack of customization got to me so I tried lots of Androids. Found my favorite one so far that I used for 6 weeks too. Then I had little quirks that annoyed me mainly with Outlook and Android together, and also the lack of a good smaller phone.

Currently using iOS, which is fine for now, thanks to my dBrand skin. To make this not too long, I can't be without a Windows Phone. I still have a Windows Phone and I always will, I hope. It just isn't used as a phone but that doesn't mean that I would give it away. I have iMessage turned off in hopes that I'll have something to switch to.

Last edited:

thebluenile

May 25, 2012
Visit site
A die hard - windows phone fan boy has finally given up!

I have been a massive windows phone fan boy since day 1. I started with the Motorola MPX220 and went on to have every single windows phone operating system and mobile phone finishing off with a Nokia Lumia 830 and windows mobile 10. I still remember the excitement when I saw the red Lumia 920 for the first time. I thought it was the most beautiful phone ever made. I put up for many years with my friends teasing me because I didn't have Snapchat and few other hundred thousand applications. I was never bother because I had a great device that was giving me lots of productivity. I always thought, who cares about Snapchat and the other hundred thousands applications; I have the ones that matters: amazon, eBay, HSBC for banking, PayPal... mostly I have OneDrive, Outlook and Office applications and I have wireless charging and the best camera. Anything else I can deal with using the websites. Then, one by one all the important applications started to disappear, including the HSBC one and now it takes me 10 minutes to do simple things on the HSBC mobile website. Furthermore, Nokia "abandoned" the ship and the camera became better on the iPhone and Samsung. I recently moved to Australia and I can't find a single useful application. Vodafone doesn't have one and I have to check my credit on a very clunky website but I could leave with it. Mostly, my new employer has dozens of applications including payroll and salary packaging services. Nothing, zero, niente, nada for windows 10 and they are "forcing" me to buy an iPhone to being able to do my job properly. To make it worse, Microsoft is making every single app for Android and iPhone and they are better than the ones on windows 10 (e.g. OneDrive, Office, Mobile). What frustrates me the most is that despite numerous updates, windows 10 still feels far from being finished and has lots of issues. It's a really sad day, having to give up something that has been part of my life for the last 15 years but why do I have to care when Microsoft is doing nothing to keep Windows Mobile alive?
Goodbye buy Microsoft, welcome Apple.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: A die hard - windows phone fan boy has finally given up!

you should send them copy of this, you claim to be die hard windows phone fan, I doubt it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: A die hard - windows phone fan boy has finally given up!

I have been a massive windows phone fan boy since day 1. I started with the Motorola MPX220 and went on to have every single windows phone operating system and mobile phone finishing off with a Nokia Lumia 830 and windows mobile 10. I still remember the excitement when I saw the red Lumia 920 for the first time. I thought it was the most beautiful phone ever made. I put up for many years with my friends teasing me because I didn't have Snapchat and few other hundred thousand applications. I was never bother because I had a great device that was giving me lots of productivity. I always thought, who cares about Snapchat and the other hundred thousands applications; I have the ones that matters: amazon, eBay, HSBC for banking, PayPal... mostly I have OneDrive, Outlook and Office applications and I have wireless charging and the best camera. Anything else I can deal with using the websites. Then, one by one all the important applications started to disappear, including the HSBC one and now it takes me 10 minutes to do simple things on the HSBC mobile website. Furthermore, Nokia "abandoned" the ship and the camera became better on the iPhone and Samsung. I recently moved to Australia and I can't find a single useful application. Vodafone doesn't have one and I have to check my credit on a very clunky website but I could leave with it. Mostly, my new employer has dozens of applications including payroll and salary packaging services. Nothing, zero, niente, nada for windows 10 and they are "forcing" me to buy an iPhone to being able to do my job properly. To make it worse, Microsoft is making every single app for Android and iPhone and they are better than the ones on windows 10 (e.g. OneDrive, Office, Mobile). What frustrates me the most is that despite numerous updates, windows 10 still feels far from being finished and has lots of issues. It's a really sad day, having to give up something that has been part of my life for the last 15 years but why do I have to care when Microsoft is doing nothing to keep Windows Mobile alive?
Goodbye buy Microsoft, welcome Apple.

I feel your pain. I too have had to get a 6S Plus for the same work-related reasons you mentioned. I work remotely and I'm constantly pulling reports, generating POs, tracking billing, etc. However, Outlook and Sharepoint on iOS are nowhere near as effective as on Windows Mobile. Smartsheets is a task manager we use for PMs and VPs in our company and while the app is no longer available for WP, the notifications are (through Office 365) while on iOS it requires the app. Crazy right? The same goes for our payroll app - gone from the Store. They are both accessible via the web and there's no difference between it and the app interface. I see a used L1520 in my future again to test. I'll be able to check whether 8.1 or 10 is the better fit since I won't have that option on any of the newer Windows 10 phones. Keeping fingers crossed 🤞

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Back once more. So I got a free iPhone from my friend and I figured I'd try it out. Big mistake! Just straight trash! The Google Pixel was light-years ahead. I mean how can people enjoy a phone with so many missing features? It's the same iPhone it was when I left the platform for a 1520 [like 4 years ago lol]. Just so bad in so many areas. There's a 100% chance I'm selling it and I'm already back with my 950. The worst part is that was only after a few hours with it smh. No good keyboards. Keyboards were terrible! Even the third party keyboards had limitations the android ones didn't have. Siri can't be typed to, she can't track packages or flights or do people reminders. No back button. Why do I have to go to the top left or right corner just to get back to the previous screen? No quick charge. Want to customize control center so that you can turn off data from it? Nope. Want to turn on battery saver mode real quick? Nope. And many other missing features. For sure if I go to any platform that's not Windows Mobile it will not be Apple 's.

Sent from mTalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Back once more. So I got a free iPhone from my friend and I figured I'd try it out. Big mistake! Just straight trash! The Google Pixel was light-years ahead. I mean how can people enjoy a phone with so many missing features? It's the same iPhone it was when I left the platform for a 1520 [like 4 years ago lol]. Just so bad in so many areas. There's a 100% chance I'm selling it and I'm already back with my 950. The worst part is that was only after a few hours with it smh. No good keyboards. Keyboards were terrible! Even the third party keyboards had limitations the android ones didn't have. Siri can't be typed to, she can't track packages or flights or do people reminders. No back button. Why do I have to go to the top left or right corner just to get back to the previous screen? No quick charge. Want to customize control center so that you can turn off data from it? Nope. Want to turn on battery saver mode real quick? Nope. And many other missing features. For sure if I go to any platform that's not Windows Mobile it will not be Apple 's.

Sent from mTalk
You forgot to drop the mic. Excellent post.

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site

Sent from mTalk
Yeah, third party keyboards has been my biggest gripe with ios. Keeps me coming back to L950.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Sent from mTalk

I agree with most of what you said though for many people ios does what they need. Remember, it has been purposely simplified. You're not going to find a lot of customization.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree with most of what you said though for many people ios does what they need. Remember, it has been purposely simplified...

When I used iOS I felt like it was assuming I'm simple. That really rubbed me the wrong way. Here is a really expensive device and costly ecosphere that condescends to you and tries to make you feel like a child. I felt like I was given a crayon and a piece of paper and told to sit in the corner while the Apple adults did all the thinking for me. I just couldn't not feel insulted somehow by the enforced simplicity.

It reminded me of operating one of these...

il_fullxfull.619582120_ezlw.jpg

amywaco30

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
If migrating to Android, you can mimic some of the features of WM10:

Get a launcher. Need this to customize the home screen. MS makes one (Arrow). I like Evie Launcher.
Download transparent or white icon packs. (Need the launcher to use these.) This allows you to mimic the transparent tiles of WM10.
Download some transparent widgets.
If you enjoy CAS Preview homescreen on WM10, Musei is a similar app. I actually like Musei better.

With the above changes, I'm comfortable with my new Android life. And lots of apps. Lots and lots of apps.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I agree with most of what you said though for many people ios does what they need. Remember, it has been purposely simplified. You're not going to find a lot of customization.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

I didn't think WP had a lot of customizations until I seen what IOS10 offered. I mean geez Apple, can a brotha get a little room to set anything at all? I mean, even setting the keyboard to a different keyboard involve jumping through hoops. I'll pass on all Apple iToys.

Mohd Fadil A

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I am gonna stick with windows 10 mobile platform itself. It has all essential apps which is required for me or can say productive apps which actually we use in daily life. And also of this reason too, support windows mobile platform as much possible as can

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I am gonna stick with windows 10 mobile platform itself. It has all essential apps which is required for me or can say productive apps which actually we use in daily life. And also of this reason too, support windows mobile platform as much possible as can
I dunno if I'm going to just support Windows Mobile as much as possible. I like Windows but not that much lol. I'm definitely watching the smart phone market for the next phone I want to get. If the Surface Phone show up that would be cool but I take everything Windows central post with a large helping of salt. This is the same website that told us the 950 was years worth of waiting and a game changer and I've attempted to part with it already only after a few months. I'm with Microsoft for now but I'm definitely not anchored here. They still need to earn my business.

Sent from mTalk

johnskrilla01

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I dunno if I'm going to just support Windows Mobile as much as possible. I like Windows but not that much lol. I'm definitely watching the smart phone market for the next phone I want to get. If the Surface Phone show up that would be cool but I take everything Windows central post with a large helping of salt. This is the same website that told us the 950 was years worth of waiting and a game changer and I've attempted to part with it already only after a few months. I'm with Microsoft for now but I'm definitely not anchored here. They still need to earn my business.

Sent from mTalk

They need to earn back a lot of people's business or should I say "respect" and by looking at the market share in terms of mobile phones it is less than 2% in the world last I checked. Ppl here can say WP is better than Android or Apple all they want because of bias and also this is a Windows forum but the truth hurts and the numbers don't lie. If it was so good then why is it getting demolished and dominanted so badly by its competitors?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Sent from mTalk

They need to earn back a lot of people's business or should I say "respect" and by looking at the market share in terms of mobile phones it is less than 2% in the world last I checked.

The thing that people forget (it doesn't seem like the two of you did, but this is just a general statement) is that every individual has to do what works for THEM and their life. Be loyal to what works for you! Nothing more or less. It's not worth it to inconvenience your life in the name of being loyal.

johnskrilla01

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
The thing that people forget (it doesn't seem like the two of you did, but this is just a general statement) is that every individual has to do what works for THEM and their life. Be loyal to what works for you! Nothing more or less. It's not worth it to inconvenience your life in the name of being loyal.

Being loyal to phones is like being loyal to video game consoles and it brings out the fanboyism in people. That irks me. Just because you own something doesn't mean that it's better than the next device the next person owns. Loyalty to tech is not the same as being loyal to your partner or family members. When it comes to phones if you want the best don't be loyal to any cause phones change over time but sadly I just don't see WP catching up over time, getting ppl's attention anytime soon or grabbing the market share by surprise. Sad to say this but WP is on life support.

I want to see WP succeed but let's face it they are down and out and for the 1 billionth time the lack of apps are a big reason. Ppl who say it isn't are lying or being undenial. I got tricked and fooled into buying a Lumia 925 and I'm not going to make that mistake again. Ppl on here were calling it a flagship phone and how great it was. The lie detector determined that was a lie cause there wasn't anything about it that felt like a flagship phone.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Being loyal to phones is like being loyal to video game consoles and it brings out the fanboyism in people. That irks me. Just because you own something doesn't mean that it's better than the next device the next person owns. Loyalty to tech is not the same as being loyal to your partner or family members. When it comes to phones if you want the best don't be loyal to any cause phones change over time but sadly I just don't see WP catching up over time, getting ppl's attention anytime soon or grabbing the market share by surprise. Sad to say this but WP is on life support.

I want to see WP succeed but let's face it they are down and out and for the 1 billionth time the lack of apps are a big reason. Ppl who say it isn't are lying or being undenial. I got tricked and fooled into buying a Lumia 925 and I'm not going to make that mistake again. Ppl on here were calling it a flagship phone and how great it was. The lie detector determined that was a lie cause there wasn't anything about it that felt like a flagship phone.

A flagship today is tomorrow's has been. It seems like a new chipset is released on a daily basis and it immediately makes the previous one obsolete even though it may have been made public a few weeks ago. Buying with expectations is a risky proposition. If it doesn't do it for you today, chances are it won't tomorrow.

Just because there are only a handful of phones available doesn't equate to WM being dead. Updates have been rather steady and improvements are within tolerable levels. Apps as we know them are not happening, let's get this clear. We'll have to wait for the next phase of Microsoft's plan to see if it fits the bill. That being said, if you're still on the platform and not satisfied with the way things are progressing, maybe it's time to take inventory of what you want your phone to do for you.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just because you own something doesn't mean that it's better than the next device the next person owns.

In my case it's better for me. I'm not naive. I make occasional forays into other Operating Systems... They just don't work for how I work. It's not blind loyalty, it's earned loyalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720