Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
In my case it's better for me. I'm not naive. I make occasional forays into other Operating Systems... They just don't work for how I work. It's not blind loyalty, it's earned loyalty.

I'm like you. In the last couple years I've used several Blackberry 10 devices, several from Android, an iPhone 6, and several Windows devices. I choose Windows because it works best for me, not because I'm a fan boy. Just sold 3 devices I don't need anymore because I found one that fits my needs best.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

Mohd Fadil A

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 950 hardware consists of pretty good hardware except the plastic body. As a phone purely on hardware basis i will say its a great windows phone. I believe lacks of apps prompted you to take the decision to switch to other platforms

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
In my case it's better for me. I'm not naive. I make occasional forays into other Operating Systems... They just don't work for how I work. It's not blind loyalty, it's earned loyalty.

I'm like you. In the last couple years I've used several Blackberry 10 devices, several from Android, an iPhone 6, and several Windows devices. I choose Windows because it works best for me, not because I'm a fan boy. Just sold 3 devices I don't need anymore because I found one that fits my needs best.

Both of you hit an important point here. It's so important to try the other sides. Both of you tried it and you found that it didn't work as well for you as Windows Mobile/Phone.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm at the last day of my challenge of using one phone for a whole month, and I'm glad that I have arrived here. It has been hard, I think I have a problem haha.

Really though, I think I have become like @aximtreo with his iPhone and a Windows Phone, at least for the moment. I still like my Honor 8 a lot but I think that it comes down to the fact that I dislike the Android-Outlook battle. I don't want to deal with it, and I find it easier to choose the platforms where it works just fine, i.e. WM and iOS.

I will be switching to a 950 soon (thanks to a cool dude here :) ) but I'll continue to resume switching.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
had to step away from my 950 before it went though a window

So I got a replacement 950 from my 1 year old 950's demise of a broken screen. The replacement I got kept shutting off. Went to attend to get a new sim card because of the new replacement phone, month later still shutting off. Went to the device support Center and had it diagnosed and there was on problems. Relieved new replacement phone...no start screen, only had app list, WTF! Using a spare s7 for now cause I use my phone for work and have the phone turning off during a call, not to mention it eats battery when it reboots. This is really testing my limits for someone using a windows phone since 2011.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Lumia L950 SOLD, Good price, Truly unique experience this has been.

So My L950 sold today and I threw in a £30 HD10 wireless dock too to let go of my W10M device.
The experience has been interesting and an eye opener.
The device was excellent in so many ways and impressed me initially but small issues all added up and forced my hand.
Back to Android,
I was delighted to use my old apps that make my life a little easier.
Also. This forum has been an excellent place to have a moan and cross swords with so many folks on different opinions.
I hope my contributions have helped in some way, its been a pleasure.
I hope the NEXT MS device is good and exciting but I feel the OS will need to be very polished and of a much higher standard than W10M.
Its no big deal letting go of something that is not working for you, I am glad I took the risk to jump ship to W10M, I like to take risks and this was an exciting experience, the novelty wore off for me and I need more stability and my apps.
Crossed swords with a few MODS on here too and there are no hard feelings, I think my posts have been informative at least.
I shall keep tabs on current developments etc, and glad to be a part of this forum. :winktongue:

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia L950 SOLD, Good price, Truly unique experience this has been.

So My L950 sold today and I threw in a £30 HD10 wireless dock too to let go of my W10M device.
The device was excellent in so many ways and impressed me initially but small issues all added up and forced my hand.
Back to Android,
Also. This forum has been an excellent place to have a moan and cross swords with so many folks on different opinions.
I hope the NEXT MS device is good and exciting but I feel the OS will need to be very polished and of a much higher standard than W10M.
Its no big deal letting go of something that is not working for you, I am glad I took the risk to jump ship to W10M, I like to take risks and this was an exciting experience, the novelty wore off for me and I need more stability and my apps.
Crossed swords with a few MODS on here too and there are no hard feelings, I think my posts have been informative at least.
I shall keep tabs on current developments etc, and glad to be a part of this forum. :winktongue:

At least you gave it an honest try, nothing wrong with that. Better than badmouthing a device you've never used, like some people do.
Best of luck with Android, and if you wish to stay active here I know you will be welcomed.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Back to Android,

Better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all. You gave it your best shot, can't hang your head over that. There's a few people here, mods included, that are not on the platform so it's ok to hang out. I'm a perennial switcher myself but this place is more level-headed than most and it's because of the excellent mod staff that I was proud to have been a part of. Trolls and trouble makers are persona non grata here. I don't know how I haven't gotten the boot yet tbh.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Back to Android,
Good luck with your Android device. What did you get?

By all means you are welcome here. Your Passport from Mobile Nations also allows you to post on our sister site Android Central, and many of us who are here are also on Android Central. So please check out. 😊

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site

Back to Android,

I just ditched my 950 for an iPhone too. I also just ordered the Sony XZ so I am feeling out which OS suits me best going forward. Still keeping the 950 though with hopes it becomes stable by 2018.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site

Good luck with your Android device. What did you get?
??????
Using my backup device currently @Laura, Alcatel Pixi 3.5, but considering an S6 or S7, I hear the S8 will have a continuum type feature but wont be waiting for it. The chap that bought my device was a True Windows mobile type guy, he said he had been with WM from day one, he had a Lumia device with a cracked screen, it was the device with the 40mp-camera, He was the first person to enquire and he bought it. Also he said he hired a photographer for his wedding at huge cost! and that he and his family agreed that the Lumia 1020 pictures were of a better overall quality than the "professional" pictures, his main reason for the device was the camera.

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site

Using my backup device currently @Laura, Alcatel Pixi 3.5, but considering an S6 or S7, I hear the S8 will have a continuum type feature but wont be waiting for it. The chap that bought my device was a True Windows mobile type guy, he said he had been with WM from day one, he had a Lumia device with a cracked screen, it was the device with the 40mp-camera, He was the first person to enquire and he bought it. Also he said he hired a photographer for his wedding at huge cost! and that he and his family agreed that the Lumia 1020 pictures were of a better overall quality than the "professional" pictures, his main reason for the device was the camera.
It has an amazing camera, no doubt about that.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I second what everyone else said. I wish you the best. Are you going to continue to use Microsoft services?

I just ditched my 950 for an iPhone too. I also just ordered the Sony XZ so I am feeling out which OS suits me best going forward. Still keeping the 950 though with hopes it becomes stable by 2018.
Ooh I'm curious how this will go with you. Can you share updates/impressions to which one you prefer and/or just works better for you? I started a similar process about a year ago (whoa...) so I'm curious to how it will go for you.

I kind of did the flip. After using my iPhone for a month, I switched to the 950 for now. I'm missing better battery life so far (so I'm trying battery saver for a day) but I like being here.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
My wife's 1520 went to rest, so I gave her my 1520.3 and took ownership of a Galaxy S7. I love the more readily choices of apps, but I miss MS Maps, Windows Mobile in general and other features I've grown spoiled with. Don't get me wrong I love the S7, My only gripe with MS was the lack of apps. I still use my Office suite on the phone. I can't wait for the S8 Plus\Pro or whatever they will call it. The screen size is a pain to deal with. The wife was looking at the iPhone 7Plus, but didn't think the cost was justified. So she is waiting to see the S8 Plus first. Whenever I complain about something I miss on the 1520, she reminds me with a smirk that she doesn't have that issue.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site

I second what everyone else said. I wish you the best. Are you going to continue to use Microsoft services?
All my laptops are W10 but I wont be using any W10M services, if the Surface phone is good I might come back but I would not want another Lumia, an Alcatel or HPx3 even if those devices were going for a total bargain, I am fully finished with W10M, and thanks for wishing me all the best.

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site

Ooh I'm curious how this will go with you. Can you share updates/impressions to which one you prefer and/or just works better for you? I started a similar process about a year ago (whoa...) so I'm curious to how it will go for you.

I kind of did the flip. After using my iPhone for a month, I switched to the 950 for now. I'm missing better battery life so far (so I'm trying battery saver for a day) but I like being here.
Will do. I am pretty familiar with iOS already because I always keep an ipod touch around for music in my car and travel. I am really curious to give Android a try.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

All my laptops are W10 but I wont be using any W10M services, if the Surface phone is good I might come back but I would not want another Lumia, an Alcatel or HPx3 even if those devices were going for a total bargain, I am fully finished with W10M, and thanks for wishing me all the best.
Good luck with whatever device you get next. 😊

I'd like to see your impressions of whatever you get, since I might be looking for something new this year.

blueydroid

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm thinking of switching from android to windows (for tablets). I want to keep the experience more universal rather than using two OS'

cheers

IzaacJ

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Semi-leaving for Android, and some thoughts about the future.

Hello.
A little background about me. Been using Windows Mobile since 2005, and had quite a few WinMo devices, mainly HTC. Even built myself a reputation over at XDA Developers by building some WinMo 6.5 and WP7 apps/ROMs in the beginning.
My relationship with WP7 however, had quite a rocky start due to the restrictions, cause I loved WinMo 6.5 due to the possibilities for ROM building and other development/customization. But as soon as the HTC HD7 came, I imported one and has stayed since then, and have had 920 & 1520, both since release, since then.
Currently I have a 950XL, since release, which I really LOVE! But, there's always a but somewhere, some apps that I really need aren't available, sadly, and I feel like the quality of the apps in Store has decreased significantly over the past year. Mostly because of outdated apps written for WP8, with no interest from the developers to update.
So, I've now ordered myself a cheap Android device to see how well it fares in comparison, and if I can feel satisfied with it as main OS.
I will most probably carry my 950XL with me at all times for the camera and some other things, but it'll mostly be used as a development device since I do some UWP development myself.

I can't see myself leaving for good, or even fully leave at all, hence semi-leaving, but until there's a bit more support from app developers I need to switch, or rather degrade myself to an Android device.

Hopefully things will change soon, or MS has to seriously reconsider Project Astoria and the possibility to run Android apps on WM10. I do NOT think that full W10 on ARM could be anything close to a feature that'll win people over. Most people wouldn't even care about it. If the apps ain't there, they won't be either. X86 won't do any good there.
Offering Android developers the possibility to publish Android apps in store, while they get quality support from MS to develop an UWP version of the app is the way to go I think. That however, won't stop the developers from abandoning the app once they're done with it thou.
But I think that MS really has to step up their game regarding UWP, and get the big apps (Snapchat, Kik, banking, commute and other state/gov services) to store through some collaboration/promotion program.

Well, that's about everything I just needed to get out of my system.
Anyway, wish me luck with the godforsaken Android device, please, I'll need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)