Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Semi-leaving for Android, and some thoughts about the future.

I ordered a cheap Android device a year ago as a test phone. It was the Blu phone from Amazon. I never used it as a real phone, just as one to test with. 6 months in and the news came out about the firmware having spyware and sent all call and text information to China. It's times like that when I was suddenly thankful that I hadn't switched to it. I think buying an expensive Android phone from a mainstream company (Google/Samsung) is likely the safest way to switch to Android. And even then, be careful what apps you install and make sure they are all mainstream too!

It's kind of sad really. I was pleasantly surprised with the performance of the budget phone, but I'm still enjoying my 950xl and while there are a million Android apps, do I truly need them? Not really. I think an iPhone would be my platform of choice to switch to, purely for the security. It is probably second to Windows with Android very definitely in last place. For me security is important given my phone goes everywhere with me and has access to all my data... but my 950xl still works great for now. And the app temptation is being managed with chocolate treats as needed to appease me.

Anyways, good luck and lets hope Microsoft creates some new phone [likely a true pocket PC] that can excite you back sometime.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site

What phone are you going for? I'm considering the same thing as well the Facebook apps are a huge reason I'm considering it. just plan on grabbin one around 200 and keeping my idol 4s.

App support and OS development is the death of this os. I was considering driving for uber and they would have to give me a iPhone or android because Windows doesn't have the drive app.

There's no more Chase bank app for my bank. I just had to hard reset my phone because it was constantly freezing, heating draining battery.

I'll just have 2 phones and switch back and forth between the 2

Sent from Idol 4s

IzaacJ

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

Okey :O I ordered the Moto G3 cause it was cheap as hell atm, and I had a discount code for it too. Got it for less than $100 USD. Its old, but should be sufficient for my usage. Groove, some Xbox companion apps, especially Quinyx to log work time and Förskoleappen so I can follow my kids progress in preschool/kindergarten or whatever its called. Since I only see them 5 days every 2 weeks that is extremely important to me, even more so when their mother is a bit of a hassle to communicate with. And I'll get a lot of information from the staff through the app as well.
And on top of that, apps for the different government services and for the commutes. They dropped the WP app a few months ago. And they even got complaints from a lot of the busdrivers, cause quite a few of them use Lumias xD
Hopefully it'll go well, but I'm really sceptic about everything Android. If I ever would make a permanent drop from WM it would be an iPhone, but I'm far from ready to drop that amount of cash on something hopefully temporarily.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if I'm delusional or if it's old habits, but I think I like the 950 more this time around so far. Battery life is the only true bummer, but it's better with battery saver on all the time. The downfall with the battery life is that if I make a call, it takes a hit. Yesterday, I finished charging at 8:50am and I had to put it back on the charger at 8:20pm (at 39%, I always do this) but I was also reading heavily on my phone.

That and having issues with playing streaming music from work. It seems like there's a hiccup with that, but I plan to test something today to see if that would work for me.

Edit: I forgot to relate this to the thread. I'm missing the size of my SE a lot. Not the sameness but the size. The 950 is my "biggest" phone and that has been an adjustment but has kind of sucked in social situations so far. As for if I will continue to use it as a phone, I probably will until I get annoyed, as I usually do.

As for the apps, they are fine, but Spotify Premium makes it easier to use this platform as a phone. I used to try to use myTube and metrotube to play playlists in the background but they always fail on that one song.

Last edited:

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Another one bites the dust.. I just ordered a user iPhone 6S plus. Argh!

I found that I was spending wayyy too much of my attention to wishing WP10 was more reliable, getting annoyed at my 950XL letting me down at the most inopportune times, dealing with the bad battery life throughout many updates, and of course, dealing with missing (quality) apps.

Why iPhone 6S plus? I want a first party phone (more secure) with a large screen (iPhone 6S plus or 7 plus, Nexus 6P, or Pixel XL). I need 64+ GB storage, but I don't want to pay $900.. So no new Pixel XL or new iPhone 7 plus. I want a headphone jack so no used iPhone 7 plus. Used Pixel XL's are still crazy expensive. So that leaves either a new or used iPhone 6S, or a used Nexus 6P. Google's support of older devices is suspect, and Android seems to be more susceptible to rogue apps. So by process of elimination: iPhone 6S Plus.

Got a used one to save some money, because I'm already preparing for my next financial mistake: getting the Surface Phone. :)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Another one bites the dust.. I just ordered a user iPhone 6S plus. Argh!

I found that I was spending wayyy too much of my attention to wishing WP10 was more reliable, getting annoyed at my 950XL letting me down at the most inopportune times, dealing with the bad battery life throughout many updates, and of course, dealing with missing (quality) apps.

Why iPhone 6S plus? I want a first party phone (more secure) with a large screen (iPhone 6S plus or 7 plus, Nexus 6P, or Pixel XL). I need 64+ GB storage, but I don't want to pay $900.. So no new Pixel XL or new iPhone 7 plus. I want a headphone jack so no used iPhone 7 plus. Used Pixel XL's are still crazy expensive. So that leaves either a new or used iPhone 6S, or a used Nexus 6P. Google's support of older devices is suspect, and Android seems to be more susceptible to rogue apps. So by process of elimination: iPhone 6S Plus.

Got a used one to save some money, because I'm already preparing for my next financial mistake: getting the Surface Phone. :)

I wish you the best of luck with your 6s+. MS services work pretty well on there. Check out iPhone for the Windows Guy series to possibly help you out:

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/ios/63337/iphone-for-the-windows-guy-getting-started
https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/ios/63362/iphone-for-the-windows-guy-use-your-microsoft-accounts

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I wish you the best of luck with your 6s+. MS services work pretty well on there. Check out iPhone for the Windows Guy series to possibly help you out:
Thanks! Expect a never ending series of posts on Windows Central where I whine about how iOS is not as good as WP. :)

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lumia L950 SOLD, Good price, Truly unique experience this has been.

I kind of did the flip. After using my iPhone for a month, I switched to the 950 for now. I'm missing better battery life so far (so I'm trying battery saver for a day) but I like being here.
Now I'm kind of curious what made you switch to iPhone, and back to WP. I tried to scroll back through your recent post, but after an hour of scrolling and only covering two days worth of posts, I gave up. :)

Edit: remembered that I can search this thread, so that made it easier. Looks like you enjoyed the appability and reliability of iOS and the compact size of the iPhone SE, but appreciate the manageable customizability, personality, and pinnability of WP10 phones. Fair enough!

For me the switch has been a long time coming. I kept making 'note to self' posts listing why I shouldn't switch, and even made a thread discussing what's so good about WP10, but turns out I could only take so much. :)

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Now I'm kind of curious what made you switch to iPhone, and back to WP. I tried to scroll back through your recent post, but after an hour of scrolling and only covering two days worth of posts, I gave up. :)

Edit: remembered that I can search this thread, so that made it easier. Looks like you enjoyed the appability and reliability of iOS and the compact size of the iPhone SE, but appreciate the manageable customizability, personality, and pinnability of WP10 phones. Fair enough!

For me the switch has been a long time coming. I kept making 'note to self' posts listing why I shouldn't switch, and even made a thread discussing what's so good about WP10, but turns out I could only take so much. :)

Props to your digging! Sorry to make you do that, as I have a hard time with short answers. :grincry:

Yep, you nailed it. That's it for me in a nutshell. I loved my Honor 8 but iOS is just better with contact syncing in my experience. It's hard for me. My compromise to use an iPhone is to use it with a skin, which works and I would recommend, if you care about missing customization.

You did and they have been interesting reads but trying it for yourself will really be your best bet. I'm not going to lie, using the 950 has me missing not having some quirks with apps and Windows Mobile/Phone. To try to make this short, it's the little things basically, like not being able to see who left what reaction on Slack. I more than likely will switch back to iOS, as it is something that has crossed my mind lately.

Not having to think about my phone and just use it IS great for an overthinker like me, but I wanna be a special snowflake so I'm not fully content.

See, that was long again >.> Anyway, I am looking forward to your impressions, experience and thoughts. What color is your new 6S+?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
For reasons unknown, my Alcatel Idol 3 decided to stop listing the music located in the Music folder. The music still plays fine, but when connected to the computer, it doesn't show any music in any of the folders. I was able to verify that the music was still there by going into Storage on the phone and checking the Music folder from there. So I said screw it and deleted all the music from Storage.

I then went to my computer and created a Groove playlist with almost all my songs on it (the limit for a Groove playlist is 1,000 songs and I had 1,039). Then I went to the Groove app and set the playlist as Available Offline, thus forcing the songs onto my SD card. The remaining songs I went through one-by-one and made them available offline.

Ta-da now I have music on Groove again.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Props to your digging! Sorry to make you do that, as I have a hard time with short answers. :grincry:.
[..snip..]
See, that was long again >.> Anyway, I am looking forward to your impressions, experience and thoughts. What color is your new 6S+?
I got the boring gray one because i like dark bezels. I'll probably use a case because the 6S Plus has that killer combo of being super thin, pretty slippery, and surprisingly dense. Perfect for dropping with max damage. I'll let you know how it feels being gray sludge as opposed to white snowflake.

As an aside, it seems only fitting that i can't use Package Tracker to track the iPhone shipment. :D

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I got the boring gray one because i like dark bezels. I'll probably use a case because the 6S Plus has that killer combo of being super thin, pretty slippery, and surprisingly dense. Perfect for dropping with max damage. I'll let you know how it feels being gray sludge as opposed to white snowflake.

As an aside, it seems only fitting that i can't use Package Tracker to track the iPhone shipment. :D

Use Cortana to track your shipments.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

For reasons unknown, my Alcatel Idol 3 decided to stop listing the music located in the Music folder. The music still plays fine, but when connected to the computer, it doesn't show any music in any of the folders. I was able to verify that the music was still there by going into Storage on the phone and checking the Music folder from there. So I said screw it and deleted all the music from Storage.

I then went to my computer and created a Groove playlist with almost all my songs on it (the limit for a Groove playlist is 1,000 songs and I had 1,039). Then I went to the Groove app and set the playlist as Available Offline, thus forcing the songs onto my SD card. The remaining songs I went through one-by-one and made them available offline.

Ta-da now I have music on Groove again.

Sweet! Glad that you got it working.

It somehow feels wrong to have Cortana track the delivery of Siri. "Honey, can you let me know when my new girl gets here?" :)

Ooh I forgot to tell you that Word Flow (by MS) is pretty great too.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I still cannot even understand how someone could enjoy iPhone. It's such a bad series of phone. I just don't get it.

Sent from mTalk

Fortunately, everyone sees phones differently and different things are important to them, which will shape how they view a platform to an extent.

Funny that you mentioned this, as I switched back to my iPhone after a week of using a 950. The OS seems to have improved a lot since I first tried a 950. Basically, I chose pocketability and battery life over having something different with personality. In day to day usage, I can use any of them but I find it easier to use my iPhone SE in social situations as I don't have to think about where to put my phone since it can totally fit most of my pockets.

I recall you missing certain functions of Cortana that you use on a regular basis and how poorly that did not work on iOS so that probably has shaped your viewpoint. For you, that's important, which is fine. For me, contact and calendar sync/integration is important to me, along with battery life and a simplistic/minimal UI. For others, the lack of a file manager makes iOS a no go for them, which is fine.

I have an Android phone that meets everything but the integration with my Outlook contacts and calendar. I noticed that this is generally an Android thing that only a select few can totally do right, like Blackberry. For my life, read-only contacts/calendar is not enough for me, I need to be able to read AND edit. iOS does this without a hitch, just like Windows Mobile, but of course with the "apps". I could care less for phone only stuff. As a chronic switcher, that does nothing for me, I need to be able to create a contact and/or calendar event in my phone and have that reflect on the server so that no matter what phone I decide to use, my updated calendar and contacts are with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss