Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Traveling with the iPhone 6S+ this weekend, but I'm bringing my 950XL along just in case. I already hate the iPhone camera app.. It cannot do 16:9 pics, how crazy is that! Low light performance also seems pretty pathetic compared to the Lumia.

So yeah, I've decided to go all-in on iOS for a bit, but as expected, it's definitely not all for the better! I'll be keeping an eye on WP builds as well.

Ooh didn't know that you got it already. Yeah you'll need a third party camera app to access such things. Check out Microsoft Pix, it's pretty cool but I forget if it has those functions or not. Will be looking forward to your experience/thoughts/impressions.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Ooh didn't know that you got it already. Yeah you'll need a third party camera app to access such things. Check out Microsoft Pix, it's pretty cool but I forget if it has those functions or not. Will be looking forward to your experience/thoughts/impressions.
Yup, just got it, and I already have a giant text file with comments. BTW MS Pix didn't offer 16:9 either, I did give it a shot. I also just had to scour Google to work around a bug (synced albums not showing in photos app). I find the iOS photos app annoyingly insistent on showing things organized by date/place. Turns out I actually DID like the WP photos app after all.. who knew! :D

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Something surprising to me: I instantly remembered my dislike of the clicky home button on iOS (iPhone 6S is the last model to have a mechanical button), but it turns out Apple half-copied the Win8/10 'swipe from left' task switcher: on the 6S+ you can 'force press' the left screen edge and then swipe right to show the task switcher. Nice. I much prefer the WP approach of having a back button with long-press option for the task switcher, but it's better than nothing. (sorry Libra, no force-touch on the SE)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Yup, just got it, and I already have a giant text file with comments. BTW MS Pix didn't offer 16:9 either, I did give it a shot. I also just had to scour Google to work around a bug (synced albums not showing in photos app). I find the iOS photos app annoyingly insistent on showing things organized by date/place. Turns out I actually DID like the WP photos app after all.. who knew! :D
Haha.
Something surprising to me: I instantly remembered my dislike of the clicky home button on iOS (iPhone 6S is the last model to have a mechanical button), but it turns out Apple half-copied the Win8/10 'swipe from left' task switcher: on the 6S+ you can 'force press' the left screen edge and then swipe right to show the task switcher. Nice. I much prefer the WP approach of having a back button with long-press option for the task switcher, but it's better than nothing. (sorry Libra, no force-touch on the SE)
That's pretty neat! It's fine, I wouldn't trade my SE for a bigger iPhone to have that.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

The only real use I have for force touch is to reply or delete a notification on the lock screen. I too hate the locked down camera app but at least the picture quality is good on my 6S+. Not anywhere near my 1520 but it's very good.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The only real use I have for force touch is to reply or delete a notification on the lock screen. I too hate the locked down camera app but at least the picture quality is good on my 6S+. Not anywhere near my 1520 but it's very good.
Plus force touch on the Cortana icon offers option to start listening, maybe two tenths of a second faster than opening the app and hitting 'listen'.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think I'm broken. I miss having the sim in my 950 after like 3 days, but I'm really liking the battery life of my SE. On the other hand, my Honor 8 is getting 7.0 any day now so I'll love to play with that.

Or maybe I'm just a chronic switcher at heart :grincry: I'm sure that there are some head shakes here for me, or maybe you all are just used to my "tendencies"...

Mess096

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Goodbye 1520; Hello 3t

Goodbye 1520; Hello 3t

My microphone died and I am not fixing it. Three years as my daily driver has taken its toll. The back button no longer lights, the Windows button flickers, and the microphone is intermittent. The L950 XL is a downgrade and I love my 1520 dearly but I am not buying a 3y/o phone. I am currently using a L640 LTE until my just ordered a Oneplus 3t 128 GB arrives in 2 weeks.
The L640 LTE is not a great experience after using L1520. I have really enjoyed Windows 10 mobile and will keep my L1520 updated and in use at home.
The Oneplus will be my first non-Nokia phone and I hope it goes well.
My first cellular phone was back in 1998, a Nokia 5110. Since then I have had a 3330 (2001), 6820 (2004), N82 (2009), N8 (2011), L1520 (2014) and L640 LTE (2017).
The 6820 was a blast to use and the N82 was the most versatile until the L1520. The L1520 was the best phone I have ever owned to this point.
So in a few weeks I will start a new chapter with a Oneplus 3t and Android.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think I'm broken. I miss having the sim in my 950 after like 3 days, but I'm really liking the battery life of my SE. On the other hand, my Honor 8 is getting 7.0 any day now so I'll love to play with that.

Or maybe I'm just a chronic switcher at heart :grincry: I'm sure that there are some head shakes here for me, or maybe you all are just used to my "tendencies"...

If there are head shakes for you then they need their heads on a swivel for me.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm beginning to see why people say that Android slows down over time. My Idol 3 doesn't seem as smooth as when I first got it. The keyboard lags, apps stutter during shutdown or when choosing them from the multitask window, significant lag when launching Google search from the home screen (to be fair, it has always been like that), and just random moments of inconsistency that I don't remember being there when I first setup the phone. It's strange because I've only installed like two programs since December, Lyft and the Cricket Visual Voicemail app. All the force stops and restarts in the world hasn't made the phone feel any faster.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm beginning to see why people say that Android slows down over time. My Idol 3 doesn't seem as smooth as when I first got it. The keyboard lags, apps stutter during shutdown or when choosing them from the multitask window, significant lag when launching Google search from the home screen (to be fair, it has always been like that), and just random moments of inconsistency that I don't remember being there when I first setup the phone. It's strange because I've only installed like two programs since December, Lyft and the Cricket Visual Voicemail app. All the force stops and restarts in the world hasn't made the phone feel any faster.

Can't say I've experienced same, my G4 (15 mo) and GS7 (10 mo) have been going strong without any noticeable different from when we first got them. They have their moments from time to time but that's been far and few between for me. Even my Android tablets have stayed on an even keel. Like everything I own we do periodic maintenance by cleaning and clearing caches, browsing history etc. And can only relate the word "inconsistency" to W10M as that is where it has been the most prevalent, will admit it is slowly getting better yet still has a ways to go.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

I was a chronic switcher for quite a few years. Then I got help. Feeling so much better now. 😉

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I was a chronic switcher for quite a few years. Then I got help. Feeling so much better now.

My late brother got a Harley as a mid-life crisis toy. My best friend, and best man at my wedding, got a Corvette. I'm limited to phones and computers by penalty of castration. See how easy that is? No exorbitant therapist fees, no medication.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My wife doesn't bother me about my phone habit and I don't bug her about her purse habit... She likes Coach and Dooney & Bourke so that should put it into perspective.

It's all about finding equivalencies. :winktongue:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
If there are head shakes for you then they need their heads on a swivel for me.
LOL, this is true! The things we do.

I was a chronic switcher for quite a few years. Then I got help. Feeling so much better now.

Define help. (no don't do it, I'm just saying)
My excuse is that I want to have the "perfect" phone and I am indecisive together.

I already know that I'm an oddball. I actually got Spotify premium just because I care for this platform so much even though there are free alternatives on the other two.

Groove lacks a lot so that was not an option for me. Not sure how many people will be willing to do the same. The life of a chronic switcher...

Ah as for the other comments, I can't relate but I understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)