Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

falevics

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: I'm having to tap out. First Android phone

This week I did opposite. Switched from S7 edge to Lumia 950 xl )) same thing - all apps I found in MS store. Except they work not so smooth as on S7. Like Facebook and Taxify.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

You can switch that phone out for a Pixel or DTEK60 if you want those prompt updates and security updates respectively.

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

Yes Pixel is an option but you are even further on board with Google tracking (and spammers buying their info from Google to send you more stuff). Worse, Pixel only promises 2 years of updates. I seem to recall that when MS dropped updates for older devices people were frustrated. You'd be surprised how fast 2 years can go by and then you are probably back in the buy a new device or don't get updates club again.

Don't get me wrong. I know the options on VZ are nil, I'm in the same boat and if the Lumia dies I have the same choice. But the only advantage Pixel has over Samsung is updates and even those are for a pretty short space of time for such an expensive device. It is a tradeoff I see either side of, but not sure Pixel is the cure all.

I'm not shocked at the discovery that "having" the apps didn't make you much more interested in using them. People spend a lot of money before they find out just how few apps they use. Doesn't mean that one or two can't make a difference. It does. But anyway, doesn't matter because if you want to stay on VZ's network, despite the promise 18 months ago that the 950 and XL "could be made to run on VZ" they never did. There are Win 10 tablets that run on VZ and the Icon does as did the 735, so it's not that there is no option. But it never happened. Didn't happen with HP either, so its a rough ground to choose.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Yes Pixel is an option but you are even further on board with Google tracking (and spammers buying their info from Google to send you more stuff). Worse, Pixel only promises 2 years of updates. I seem to recall that when MS dropped updates for older devices people were frustrated. You'd be surprised how fast 2 years can go by and then you are probably back in the buy a new device or don't get updates club again.

Still no worse than the S7 Edge you have though as far as that Google tracking and such. You still have to have Google Play Services, etc. And again, the update situation is clear in Google's case which is better than Samsung's. Of course, you *could* get an iPhone which blows those out of the water in the privacy and update category.

Don't get me wrong. I know the options on VZ are nil, I'm in the same boat and if the Lumia dies I have the same choice. But the only advantage Pixel has over Samsung is updates and even those are for a pretty short space of time for such an expensive device. It is a tradeoff I see either side of, but not sure Pixel is the cure all.

Well, with the Pixel you don't have to futz with Samsung's extra junk, etc. You'll still get another year of security updates after those two years too I believe.

I'm not shocked at the discovery that "having" the apps didn't make you much more interested in using them. People spend a lot of money before they find out just how few apps they use. Doesn't mean that one or two can't make a difference. It does. But anyway, doesn't matter because if you want to stay on VZ's network, despite the promise 18 months ago that the 950 and XL "could be made to run on VZ" they never did. There are Win 10 tablets that run on VZ and the Icon does as did the 735, so it's not that there is no option. But it never happened. Didn't happen with HP either, so its a rough ground to choose.

My input in Bold above.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

I just can't get on with Samsung's bloatware and lack of updates, compared to other manufacturers. I also find the whole Android UI clunky and disorganized and the notifications are a mess too. iOS isn't much better either. People seem to be happy as long as they have the apps they need, and don't look at the actual phone and the problems it has. After all, who needs problems when you have apps?

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
You can drop Verizon. Switch to a month to month plan on one of the other GSM carriers and later, you can easily switch again to another GSM carrier if you wish. Don't get locked in to one carrier and don't believe Verizon's marketing claims. Test the GSM carriers like ATT, T-Mobile and the others.

Support Windows mobile phones, if you like them, or be part of the problem.

Last edited:

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The good thing is iPhones tend to hold their value, so you could probably sell the one you have and use the funds towards the new one.
I've owned this 6S+ for just under two weeks, and I'm already thinking of selling it. Sounds about right! :D

Edit: just realized: with a bit of luck they will remove the headphone port this time around. That way I'll easily hold off. :)

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site

I received a review copy of the 950xl with the display dock and I am on Verizon. I did pop a Verizon SIM into it and yes, didn't work but it did recognize it as a Verizon SIM and for one brief moment, I got bars and could make a call and use data. Not sure what caused it but for 5 minutes one day, it did work. But now, no more...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I received a review copy of the 950xl with the display dock and I am on Verizon. I did pop a Verizon SIM into it and yes, didn't work but it did recognize it as a Verizon SIM and for one brief moment, I got bars and could make a call and use data. Not sure what caused it but for 5 minutes one day, it did work. But now, no more...
Verizon still uses CDMA for voice so it's possible, slimly possible, that you were out of range of their towers and MAYBE your 950 latched on to a roaming network or were briefly on VZW's VoLTE band. I'm not aware of the 950 supporting Band 13 but strange is a Windows fortè.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Tried to roll back my Honor 8 but it didn't take. I didn't do something correctly but wow I regret updating. I will try again tomorrow, as my head isn't up to it right now.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Tried to roll back my Honor 8 but it didn't take. I didn't do something correctly but wow I regret updating. I will try again tomorrow, as my head isn't up to it right now.

I thought about it for a while and ended up not going back since the phone is all set again.
Not real excited about the EMUI update either like others have been.

docsp1

May 27, 2016
Visit site
When you use Webapps instead of Phoneapps you have more Controll over your Security / private Data. Combine this with WM10 mobiles regular Updates and you have a secure OS with a perfect UI.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So I just learned that Nine app on Android allows you to have calendars that sync with outlook unlike the MS app.
I'm debating if it's worth it for me to pay for Nine ($9.99) to use it, which could change how I view Android or not since I'm a chronic switcher.

Edit: I was wondering the above thought but I think I broke something so I hard reset my Honor 8. Unfortunately for some reason, it isn't allowing me to set up the phone without a sim inside so I'll leave it. Makes me miss the easiness of Windows 10 Mobile when it comes to stuff like this.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So remember when I was debating buying Nine? I'm not anymore. In fact, I'm soured on Android altogether.

My Honor 8 is broken and I can't do anything about it. I doubt that the warranty will help me out here but I'll look into that when I'm more calm.

Basically, the sim wasn't the problem. The problem is that I only have a voice keyboard, even after hard resets and cleaning the cache partition.

The fact that this happened is really disappointing. I can't imagine this happening on the other two (iOS, WM).

$300 paperweight :/ I think this error has to do with trying to roll back but I will share the deal when I'm more calm on AC. Don't want my annoyance to color my words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos