Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
So remember when I was debating buying Nine? I'm not anymore. In fact, I'm soured on Android altogether.

My Honor 8 is broken and I can't do anything about it. I doubt that the warranty will help me out here but I'll look into that when I'm more calm.

Basically, the sim wasn't the problem. The problem is that I only have a voice keyboard, even after hard resets and cleaning the cache partition.

The fact that this happened is really disappointing. I can't imagine this happening on the other two (iOS, WM).

$300 paperweight :/ I think this error has to do with trying to roll back but I will share the deal when I'm more calm on AC. Don't want my annoyance to color my words.
I'm sorry to hear that. 😞 I hope you'll be able to get it fixed.

I've always been reluctant to try devices from companies that are either rather new or new to the US market.

I'll most likely get a Nexus or another Moto next time around.

J Dubbs

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
So remember when I was debating buying Nine? I'm not anymore. In fact, I'm soured on Android altogether.

My Honor 8 is broken and I can't do anything about it. I doubt that the warranty will help me out here but I'll look into that when I'm more calm.

Basically, the sim wasn't the problem. The problem is that I only have a voice keyboard, even after hard resets and cleaning the cache partition.

The fact that this happened is really disappointing. I can't imagine this happening on the other two (iOS, WM).

$300 paperweight :/ I think this error has to do with trying to roll back but I will share the deal when I'm more calm on AC. Don't want my annoyance to color my words.
Android comes broken out of the box. I came back to it after several years away, and it's become an overcomplicated, unreliable, easily broken high maintenance mess.

After I'm through with my current Android phone I think I'm going to give iPhone a try.... I've heard that's the phone to get if you don't like to have to babysit the damn thing all the time to keep it working 😤

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that. ?????? I hope you'll be able to get it fixed.

I've always been reluctant to try devices from companies that are either rather new or new to the US market.

I'll most likely get a Nexus or another Moto next time around.
Thank you, I'll see if I can get it sent in for repair or something because I'm out of options. It was an excellent phone, I just wish that I said no to 7.0 originally. I wish that I watched more videos to see if I would actually like it or not before actually taking the leap myself. It was great on MM though.

Android comes broken out of the box. I came back to it after several years away, and it's become an overcomplicated, unreliable, easily broken high maintenance mess.

After I'm through with my current Android phone I think I'm going to give iPhone a try.... I've heard that's the phone to get if you don't like to have to babysit the damn thing all the time to keep it working ??????
Fair point. I can only imagine how you feel returning to it.

Yep, you heard correctly. You don't need to do much. At most, I might need to clear ram because apps are being slow or odd but that doesn't happen as much. The thing I like about iPhones is that it takes a lot to break it. Even people who are jailbroken, all they have to do to get out of that is to update or restore.

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I just wish that I said no to 7.0 originally. I wish that I watched more videos to see if I would actually like it or not before actually taking the leap myself. It was great on MM though.

I am sorry you had trouble updating ,especially since my Moto G4 Plus is better on 7.0 than it was on MM.
Won't a phone reset fix your problem ?
I have hard reset Android (Lenovo A6000 on Lollipop) without a sim before and did not have any problem.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I am sorry you had trouble updating ,especially since my Moto G4 Plus is better on 7.0 than it was on MM.
Won't a phone reset fix your problem ?
I have hard reset Android (Lenovo A6000 on Lollipop) without a sim before and did not have any problem.

Thanks.
I have done a lot of them (phone resets) and unfortunately the issue remains. :( I have tried other Android phones, and I haven't had issues after doing resets. Normally, I just set up and we are done.

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks.
I have done a lot of them (phone resets) and unfortunately the issue remains. :( I have tried other Android phones, and I haven't had issues after doing resets. Normally, I just set up and we are done.

It was very unfortunate that you had a major problem while updating and something which can't be fixed by a reset either.I really hope you can get your phone fixed with minimum difficulty.
P.S I missed your earlier post (#3922) where you had mentioned that you had reset and cleared cache partition.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It was very unfortunate that you had a major problem while updating and something which can't be fixed by a reset either.I really hope you can get your phone fixed with minimum difficulty.
P.S I missed your earlier post (#3922) where you had mentioned that you had reset and cleared cache partition.

It's fine that you missed the post. In this case, the update itself was fine but I had issues trying to rollback using the official materials from Honor to do so. There's a kind of long post on AC sharing what happened.

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
It's fine that you missed the post. In this case, the update itself was fine but I had issues trying to rollback using the official materials from Honor to do so. There's a kind of long post on AC sharing what happened.

AC is different from WC in that each phone is different so discussions go on in different phone forums.
Is there anything similar to WDRT we have for Windows phones in Android ?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
AC is different from WC in that each phone is different so discussions go on in different phone forums.
Is there anything similar to WDRT we have for Windows phones in Android ?

Not really, this depends on the phone manufacturer. Some have programs that help you with this, and others have downloadables to help you restore. It's mixed.

I have an O365 enterprise account and my S7 syncs my calendar just fine. Not sure about the hotmail though.

Even after getting Android 7.0?

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Not really, this depends on the phone manufacturer. Some have programs that help you with this, and others have downloadables to help you restore. It's mixed.

Even after getting Android 7.0?

Thanks !
I wonder if Motorola/Lenovo has anything like it.
WDRT comes in handy to solve extreme problems with Windows Phone

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
That's something I really like in Windows, same OS everywhere.

Sent from mTalk

Also that Windows Phones get updates at the same time .
In Android the same phones get updates at different times in different countries.My Moto G4 Plus got the Nougat update end of December in India but the update has not rolled out in other countries.

Last edited:

Woodchuck3400

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
So I've been using my S7 for about 5 months now.

I have to say, I'm still enjoying the apps. Banking and LastPass continue to make life much easier. The Samsung Pay is awesome. I love when clerks say we don't have Apple Pay so it won't work right when the reader beeps and says card accepted.

All this being said, the biggest difference for me is still Cortana. I don't know who does these Siri vs. OK Google (Google App? I don't know what they call it) vs. Cortana test, but Cortana is hands down the best. My kids all have iPhones and Siri is way behind even OK Google, but I still miss Cortana on my Windows Phone. The reminders from the Google App barely remind you of anything. Beeps once, shows up in notifications and that's it. Easy to miss. Cortana, even on Android, punches up the whole screen when you unlock the phone and forces you to say you're done or snooze.

The Google App also doesn't understand my voice as well as Cortana did. Cortana on Android just isn't enough of a solution. It's not integrated enough with the OS. You can use "Hey Cortana" when the phone is unlocked, but you need to hit a button on the lock screen when it's locked. Not good for a hands free experience in the car. I'm still hoping MS just makes their own launcher (not Arrow Launcher) with integrated Cortana.

If you read my previous posts, you saw I said that the MS apps work better on Android. That still holds true for me except that I've seen people complaining about the calendar not syncing. Mine does sync but only my enterprise O365, which is fine for me because its my main calendar. The other issue is that you cannot sync contacts and contacts can only be sorted by first name. Really? I mean that's fine if you have 15 family members or friends, but it doesn't work for business.

Really hoping the WP make a big comeback. Still have my 950 sititing on my desk. But everytime I don't have to go to a bank, or I log onto that website without having to type in a username/password, spy on my kids snaps or pay for everything off of my phone, it's hard to think about switching back. And I always said the app gap was meaningless.

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site

I read your post on AC Honor 8 forum, I too use the Outlook Calendar on my Android so I can understand you wanting it to work for you. I think it is easier to solve something on a Windows phone than on Android ( Of course I may be wrong).There being so many OEMs producing different versions of the Android OS that it is quite confusing.Since most of the utility apps in my country are not available for and do not work properly on Windows Phones nowadays I had to switch to Android.
I hope they get your phone working normally again as soon as possible.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I read your post on AC Honor 8 forum, I too use the Outlook Calendar on my Android so I can understand you wanting it to work for you. I think it is easier to solve something on a Windows phone than on Android ( Of course I may be wrong).There being so many OEMs producing different versions of the Android OS that it is quite confusing.Since most of the utility apps in my country are not available for and do not work properly on Windows Phones nowadays I had to switch to Android.
I hope they get your phone working normally again as soon as possible.
Thanks for reading the long post, and a general thanks. I hope so too, we'll find out. Thankfully it's not my main phone and all of my texts are backed up.

I think it's easier too on this side as well.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't Microsoft Wallet do the same thing on phones with NFC?

No. Besides using NFC, Samsung Pay also includes MST technology, which basically emulates a credit card by using a magnetic field. With a few exceptions, Samsung Pay can be used anywhere a credit card is accepted.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Ooh the BlackBerry KEYone has been announced today at Mobile World Congress. Mercury sounded like a nicer name but the name fits. After seeing it and hearing the specs, I am still fascinated. Even though I think I'm mostly done with Android for now, I would love to try that.

I wish that it wasn't $549 but I get the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb