Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaldd

May 16, 2016
Visit site
The trick with Android if you are cheap is to find a cheap one that gets actual security updates. I think the MotoG is like the only one that fits that bill.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The trick with Android if you are cheap is to find a cheap one that gets actual security updates. I think the MotoG is like the only one that fits that bill.

In that case you should get a 'DroidBerry. The Priv is under $300 and so is the DTEK50. BlackBerry has been phenomenal about pushing security updates since they entered the Android world. Just today they pushed the March security update - only 2 days behind the Pixel.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Outstanding point. A lot of the majors are falling back to ignoring updates even after they were embarrassed heavily by the US government and Google in 2016 over this issue.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Back again, just wanted to mention that Google assistant can finally read text messages as of this week. That was one of the biggest reasons I returned my Pixel. It still can't read them in real time as they happen but you can at least ask it to read the messages you have, which is a start.

Sent from mTalk

Rick Thewlis

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
Another one of those threads... (moving on from 820)

Right, going to try and keep this as succinct as possible to help narrow the options;

Things I love about the 820 -
Wireless charging
SD card
Here Drive (esp. Offline Nav when in abroad)
Shutter button/quick-launch camera
Tiles (not just the live ones)
Voice-to-text sms's

Things I like about the 820 -
Removable battery
Switchable covers (if you drop it)
Here maps

Things I hate about the 820 -
Edge (and having to use Surfy browser to pay for eBay items through PayPal)

Don't use Cortana. Don't use my phone for media or music (after MixRadio was canned)

Is there any point getting a WP10 phone?
As I understand, I'll lose Here Drive, and there still won't be any app support for all the websites that either don't work, or keep trying to direct me to a download page for Android and iTunes apps

Do I suffer in silence with the 820 for another year, or are there any other phones out there WindowsPhone users can transition to ?

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Another one of those threads... (moving on from 820)

Honestly, check out another OS, and if you want, keep an eye out on Windows 10 Mobile to see if it's ever a viable option in the future to come back to. Until then, check out Android and iOS.

Good luck!

Rick Thewlis

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site

It's the checking out that's driving me crazy...

We really were spoiled with WindowsPhone, things I consider basic/essential on the Lumia other manufacturers don't seem to offer

Sony are the only other people that put camera buttons on their phones. WTF!?

The direct comparison Xperias don't seem to have Qi charging

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

It's the checking out that's driving me crazy...

We really were spoiled with WindowsPhone, things I consider basic/essential on the Lumia other manufacturers don't seem to offer

Sony are the only other people that put camera buttons on their phones. WTF!?

The direct comparison Xperias don't seem to have Qi charging

The only thing you can do is find a Windows Phone that meets your criteria and give it a go, you'll never know otherwise. Other than that I side with Zulfigar "check out another OS".

Oh yeah "Here" apps of any kind are no longer supported on W10M.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

The only thing you can do is find a Windows Phone that meets your criteria and give it a go, you'll never know otherwise. Other than that I side with Zulfigar "check out another OS".

Oh yeah "Here" apps of any kind are no longer supported on W10M.
True, Here is no longer on W10M per se, but the same functionality is still present. You can download offline maps to your phone or SD card via Settings>System>Offline Maps.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

xmethodx

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
Reasons why I gave W10 Mobile a go, and reasons why I will be ditching it never to return

Hi all,

Just thought I would share my experience in using W10 Mobile on my Lumia 950. There were several reasons why I decided to pre-order this phone prior to release. Spec wise at the time, it appeared to be on par or slightly better than the rest of the phones on the market. The camera looked fantastic, as did the display and promising removable battery and OS.

With well over one year of ownership, I have decided to give MS the flick for good. I have used iPhones, Samsungs, Sony (Z1 which was my fav - best batt life, best camera app, quickest to use) and HTC prior to owning the Lumia. I chose the 950 as the size of it worked better for me than the size of the XL.

I really liked the idea of having good integration between the Lumia and my Surface Pro 3 (which I absolutely love) but I am sure I will have missed many more reasons for the change which I will list below.

(I have been on the Insider fast ring since Jan 2016 from memory)

- Adding words to the dictionary doesn't seem to be possible anymore. This is really annoying when you want to add a word and the option to add it doesn't exist, yet type a word that you don't want to add, that doesn't exist and it lets you add it.

- There has never been an option to restart the phone, you have to power off, wait, then power back on or use a hard reset which is really annoying when you just want to restart the phone and be done with it.

- The phone can never be charged without it turning on

- Looking for a phone number that isn't recently dialed requires so many screen touches making it frustrating to search for a name/number and on top of that, you have to click the people icon, then tap again on the alphabet to scroll to a position in the list and then tap and tap again to dial. Why not make it the same as Apple and Android have? It works and it works well, be different if you wish but don't be annoying and ugly!

- There is still no way to close all apps at once

- The most frustrating issue is that you can't adjust the alarm volume, if your alarm goes off, it wakes everyone in the house if you aren't there to shut it off. This has been brought up on the feedback hub since the phone was released, yet stupid bugs and fixes that no one gives a crap about are always added/closed and the important issues with the most upvotes get ignored.

- Navigation disappears if you switch to another app or back to the home screen. You're lucky if you get the message "tap to resume navigation". It should display in the notification list to resume but it does not. You have to go back to the home screen and click on Maps again to resume.

- Bluetooth volume is intermittent, sometimes it's there to adjust, other times it isn't (issue was there with my Bose and now Jabra headset)

- Photos take FOREVER to process. When you want to take a photo and send it, you have to wait before it can be sent. If you take 4 or 5 photos at once, it takes even longer and you are given a screen that says "loading...." for a long time.

- Live tiles don't refresh, you still have to re-size the news tile for it to start updating. This has been an issue since day one and upvoted many times yet it is ignored.

- Searching the settings list doesn't actually search all of the settings, for example if you search for "volume" you get no results which is ridiculous

- Windows mail is a very poor app, it is slow and it never downloads the full message regardless of your settings. You have to click "download message and pictures" multiple times before it actually works.

- Using google mail through edge is about 10 times quicker than using the mail app regardless of your type of connection

- Resizing attachments is not an option. This is another issue that MS ignores all of the time. Even iphones can resize and also send videos > 8 seconds regardless of the resolution.

- MASSIVE MASSIVE lack of app support. Banking apps here in .au hardly support the OS. They are outdated, don't have support for NFC, are never ever updated etc

- There is no way to quickly scroll through pages, you can't grab the scroll bar and move it quickly you have to swipe 50 times to navigate through a large document etc

- Cortana is hopeless at the best of times, even with full reception on 4G, a simple command like "call dad" gives the result "Try again in a few" or "I had a hiccup, try again in a little bit"

- Using Cortana again, if you give the command "call dad" and it works, it displays "call dad" in the text box correctly and then says "Sorry I didn't get that"

- When you have many apps open or have been using the camera, the camera app then gives you the "resuming.... loading....." and the camera app is useless, or anything you wanted to take a photo of is a miss

I am on the latest update and all of the above issues have always been there and are still issues, feel free to flame but I did give MS a good go with the phone and I don't think I will ever return to using W10 Mobile after the lack of apps, support and development.

So much potential yet so little effort on listening to real life user experiences.

Meth.

Robert Kukulak

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Absolute windows phone fan boy. Running 640 w10 and feel it can be the perfect phone if it could run smoother, as in it feels slugish.
I daily run my 640 but I did buy a Google pixel as my back up...

I feel big things will change for windows phone users and older devices like the 640 and below will be useless some then later. Considering ARM is coming at us.

My pixel should be a good enough back up.

Rusty James

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I loved the Windows phone platform but we all know it's over. No apps. No one is making apps for it.

How sad. Good try Microsoft. But you lost the cellular game.

Rusty James

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: I loved the Windows phone platform but we all know it's over. No apps. No one is making apps for

The saddest thing ever was the article about the best golf games for windows phone which has no golf games(only mini putt). What editor let that article through?

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: I loved the Windows phone platform but we all know it's over. No apps. No one is making apps for

I've been using my 950 & 950xl since launch. They do everything I need and more. The only things they haven't done is PokémonGo and Snapchat, both apps that are interesting but I can definitely love without. There is an app gap but android and ios have a larger problem, fractured infrastructure. Android is horrible, mossy of their devices never get updated. IOS is much better however they don't currently have a path linking the phone to a larger experience. I think MS is playing the long game and far ahead of the others. I try ios and android about every 6 months and always come back to Windows Phone.

Rusty James

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

The only things are Pokémon and Snapchat. Ha. Wrong. Nice try. Face it. Windows Phones are dead. Anything beyond calls,emails,and texts is not possible. App gap. It's all about the apps.

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I haven't missed anything else. I'm a Marketing professional and use my phone for business everyday. I use Skype and Skype for business. I use continuum while out of the office. As far as what I use Snapchat and PokémonGo are the only apps I can think of I've tried to out even wanted to use that were not available. I've used them on my android tablet and honestly can live without their uselessness. The only thing that's annoyed me about Windows Phone 10 in the last three months is the map app was having some issues before the latest fast ring update. What are you missing?

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site

All I can say about android is meh and as for ios well there cripple your device after so many updates to there one phone and force you to buy a new iPhone within 4 years cause of the lag from not so optimized update for old iPhone. As for Windows mobile. It's awesome even with out tons of apps.

Don't like it then go to another platform. Complaining here about it won't change how WM10 is and apps isn't everything that makes a phone awesome its for people like me and many others find enjoyment and pleasuring of being on WM10

Rusty James

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

Ship sinking. I'll throw you a life preserver. Sad because I like the 950. The world hates it.

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site

Hey downer rusty. Chin up WM10 isnt dead as it's still getting updates and it works great. Pretty sure only your ship has sinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb