Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: I loved the Windows phone platform but we all know it's over. No apps. No one is making apps for

to each their own...I do believe @fulnix is closer to the truth: "I think MS is playing the long game and far ahead of the others", and I think iOS and Android will be playing catch-up soon enough:)

Rusty James

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: I loved the Windows phone platform but we all know it's over. No apps. No one is making apps for

The downer is that all the cool new products leave out windows phones. I am sick of " compatible with apple and android". You have all seen that. Wake up. You guys can be the Captains and go down with the ship. Hopefully things change. I do love my 950. Loved my 920. It's just a shame that the app gap and compatible problems are so severe.

Renglal Joute

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site

If only project astoria is continued then the app-gap wont have to be far away from ios and android

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

There are some cool apps, I learned about MyerList recently and I'm starting to really enjoy what it offers compared to what I want from a todo/check list.

Workinghours is a new one that I think I have a lot of use for, need to give it a longer shot to see if can help with tracking my workflow of multiple clients and billing. I tend to short change myself a lot because I'm not tracking it very well.
@Rusty James, go ahead and chase those nice shiny things. No ones stopping you.

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site

Yeah really wish Astoria was still going.... that was probably the biggest thing Windows 10 was going to offer. I've heard that you can still sideload though someway....

fpena911

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

I use my 950 at home now to surf the web and access the news. But a few months ago I had to give it up as my daily driver.

A lot of you say the apps are not a concern and I used to think the same too. But there are so many conveniences that are built around apps that you're really missing out on some of the advantages of a smartphone by not using them. Yes you technically can access most functionality by logging into the mobile site of a company but I've found that Edge isn't always compatible with them and I end up with a less than optimal experience.

I look at my 950 compared to my Android and the UI is beautiful, the keyboard feels very comfortable to me, and I love the Cortana integration. But since I've moved to the Android I can be much more productive with my smartphone. Nope still not using Snapchat or Pokemon Go but many, many productivity tools are not available on W10M that I can use on my Android device.

I made my Android look like W10M because I'm a fan of the interface, it's still not the same but a compromise I've made because now my phone is that much more useful to me. I'm angry at MS for letting this platform die when there was so much potential. I'd love to go back to W10M full-time but there's no advantage in it for me. I end up having to jump through hoops for very little benefit.

Hope it changes but I couldn't stick around to wait.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

How sad. Good try Microsoft. But you lost the cellular game.

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this post.
I recently purchased an Alcatel Idol4s. Better than any Android phone I've had. Can do anything I need. The OS is still being developed and updated. The Surface line is writing the book on mobile devices so I am excited to see what the future brings. Trying to make people feel as bad as you is, well, sad. If you're not happy there are other platforms. Try something different. Have fun, but don't rain on other peoples parade please.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site

If there's something I hate more than people complaining it's people hinting that third party apps are somehow inferior or just for fun, compared to what the phone offers out of the box.
Look, people may need apps for reasons that doesn't apply to you. If you don't like this thread then don't read it. The title should give you a hint of what it's about.

I don't care about snapchat, and I have yet to find a phone game that I really like (not that I've been looking that much).

If you want to take the train here where I live you have to either buy the ticket from a machine before boarding the train, or buy the ticket in an app (not for W10). There's no way to buy a ticket on board, or from a web browser. There's a 110 USD fine for not having a ticket.

This is a major inconvenience, I have a phone that would be fully capable to do this, if it had the app. All my friends can just board the train but I can't.

Another example is my bank, there's no app for it.

Windows Mobile may not be dead, but its app market is slowly dying. Maybe MS will turn things around at some point and make developers come back, but that won't help me now, or the coming two+ years, with my current phone.

All this has nothing to do with whether I like W10M or not. I really like this OS.

Rusty James

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

It's no fun when maybe 1 in a hundred new products make them compatible with windows phone. It's probably 1 in a thousand or worse. The Windows app store has about 20 apps and games that people use. The rest of the store is garbage. Total garbage so they can claim a big number. Maybe you have noticed that most articles are about apps leaving windows.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't chose my phone based on the latest fad, but on what I need.
I understand some people need a certain app for work or convenience. Nothing wrong with that and there are other platforms that may fit your needs better.
That doesn't mean this platform is dead. Its not Android or ios, but that's why I like it. Competition is a good thing - don't wish for less platforms or we all lose.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Ok. Where is that darn dual boot phone we have been waiting for.
Boot to W10M for daily driver. Boot to Android once in a blue moon for the banking apps.

... !!

Some Gadget Geek

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
For me its mostly about getting the apps I want. Many apps I used in the past have dropped support for windows phone due to lack of usage. It all depends on how hard I want to die for not getting what I want, but hey, Nokia's got a good egg.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

It's no fun when maybe 1 in a hundred new products make them compatible with windows phone. It's probably 1 in a thousand or worse. The Windows app store has about 20 apps and games that people use. The rest of the store is garbage. Total garbage so they can claim a big number. Maybe you have noticed that most articles are about apps leaving windows.

I'm going out on a limb here but it seems as though you don't like Windows.

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Oh I don't mind being moved, I know I'm complaining and I really don't see a reason for having these kind of posts spread out all over the forum.

I think the word dead means two different things here.

1 - What Windows Central is talking about in their articles. Will MS stop developing Windows 10 Mobile? Short answer is probably no.

2 - What many users are talking about. Is Windows 10 Mobile good enough to be useful in everyday life, with needed apps available? Will it change for the better anytime soon?

Even if 1 is true, it doesn't really help concerned users in 2 .

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site

I would argue that all the app stores are like that; they're proliferated with shovelware and garbage apps.

I think one thing MS can certainly do is app store optimisation. They really should put some significant effort into targeting apps to users, even the free stuff. Basically do things like other digital stores, steam being one example, in order to get people to check things out, and just get in the habit of trying and using apps.

I was initially sceptical about the app store in windows 10, but after using a few, especially on my surface, but desktop pc as well, it's a lot more convenient. I only found out recently that the arduino IDE is available in the app store. That's a great thing for me, but obviously not for everyone.

This is something which they can't leave as 'good enough' it needs to be the best. It needs to make 3rd party developers feel confident that releasing a good app will be rewarding for them, only then will we start to see better attention to the platform.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
When a new product you want makes you go buy an iPhone, android,or ipad because they won't make an app for windows phone you guys will get it.

I get it right now. I don't let marketing run my life. That's the purpose of marketing, making the public think they "need" something. How did we ever get by before that product existed?
I'm not saying its not nice or fun to have an app or product related to something you like, but think about how many things you were convinced you needed and now never use. If that's what you want, Android and iPhone are right there for the taking. Take a big bite and enjoy. I would rather have a product that fits my needs and wants, not a marketers, and be comfortable with what I choose. So yes, I get it, more than you realize.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I get it right now. I don't let marketing run my life. That's the purpose of marketing, making the public think they "need" something. How did we ever get by before that product existed?
I'm not saying its not nice or fun to have an app or product related to something you like, but think about how many things you were convinced you needed and now never use. If that's what you want, Android and iPhone are right there for the taking. Take a big bite and enjoy. I would rather have a product that fits my needs and wants, not a marketers, and be comfortable with what I choose. So yes, I get it, more than you realize.

Ah... it's not just marketing there is alot of analytics involved... either it's old school through customer surveys, user enagement through conversations or through the glory of the digital era - telemetry and click through data.

But the latter is well a double edged sword, it literally puts engineers into a bubble because people become statistics and that is when silly decisions happen.

One cannot quantify creativity, it's a well orchestrated environment of pretty much everything :winktongue:.

Anyway going back to the topic at hand...

Just to throw my personal experience into the mix as an additional perspective.

I too have dabbled with other ecosystems recently and I have to say my experience like with windows mobile 10 as has been less than stellar.

When people discuss platform they usually look at operating systems and that in my view is the incorrect way to look at it. It's the ecosystem as a whole that needs to be considered, the merits and disadvantages.

Simply does it work in practise, is it easily fixeable, sustainable and manageable be it through the allocation of time, resources and funds.

So use what works for you.

Soo I spent, the past while just rambling... and realised I've typed a 30 page novel on ios, android and windows mobile... oops :grincry:

TLDR.

Dabbled in ios, android and for me both have reached the precipice without a substantial overhaul. Windows Mobile has still potential especially with Windows on ARM. But that's in Microsoft's court as intentions and implementations are vastly too different things.

Thus sticking to WM10 for now, if I had to switch I'd be looking at Sailfish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium