Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I get it right now. I don't let marketing run my life. That's the purpose of marketing, making the public think they "need" something. How did we ever get by before that product existed?
I'm not saying its not nice or fun to have an app or product related to something you like, but think about how many things you were convinced you needed and now never use. If that's what you want, Android and iPhone are right there for the taking. Take a big bite and enjoy. I would rather have a product that fits my needs and wants, not a marketers, and be comfortable with what I choose. So yes, I get it, more than you realize.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Windows Mobile needs to cover a broader spectrum where it not only "fits your needs" but others as well. Don't see that as a wrong or unrealistic expectation especially in today's world. To me those who complain have the real passion for the platform by not being acceptant of its "as is" status, and rightfully so.

In all honesty, Windows phone marketing/hype back when (what there was) grabbed hold of me making it enticing enough to buy into, I'm sure that holds true for most then, and now. So you're not caught up in all the hype, good on you but not everyone works the same and suppose the reason for the designation "individuals"... Each with their own wants, needs and expectations.

I do question those that say "I don't need apps". Give me any phone and I’ll bet a non-native app or two will be present. Whether those apps are used lots or are needed doesn’t matter, if it enhances one’s phone functionality when asked upon, that is what counts, no? Last I heard apps are what make a smartphone, well, smart. The types of smarts are the differentiator since each user has a different app requirement for their needs.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Windows Mobile needs to cover a broader spectrum where it not only "fits your needs" but others as well. Don't see that as a wrong or unrealistic expectation especially in today's world. To me those who complain have the real passion for the platform by not being acceptant of its "as is" status, and rightfully so.

In all honesty, Windows phone marketing/hype back when (what there was) grabbed hold of me making it enticing enough to buy into, I'm sure that holds true for most then, and now. So you're not caught up in all the hype, good on you but not everyone works the same and suppose the reason for the designation "individuals"... Each with their own wants, needs and expectations.

I do question those that say "I don't need apps". Give me any phone and I’ll bet a non-native app or two will be present. Whether those apps are used lots or are needed doesn’t matter, if it enhances one’s phone functionality when asked upon, that is what counts, no? Last I heard apps are what make a smartphone, well, smart. The types of smarts are the differentiator since each user has a different app requirement for their needs.

But Windows mobile is not trying to be a consumer device, not trying to compete with Android and ios, right? It is developing its own niche market as many successful products do. Why do we need another app centric mobile device, we already have them?
This is the quandary I believe people get themselves into; they want Windows mobile to be what they want it to be and, when its not, declare it "dead". For some of us it does fit what we need in a mobile device. As the OS develops more people may realize this, but we will have to wait and see. I will repeat something I said earlier, competition is good and we don't need another copycat OS. I find this all very interesting though.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
But Windows mobile is not trying to be a consumer device, not trying to compete with Android and ios, right?

I'm not sure how WM can be classified as not "trying to compete". If you carry a WM device, you do not carry an iPhone or Android phone (generally speaking). If you did not have WM, you would have an iPhone or Android phone. How is that not competition?

If WM was truly not competition, everyone carrying one would also carry an iPhone or Android.

Why do we need another app centric mobile device, we already have them?

I don't know; ask the fans. Microsoft seems to think we don't need another one, but its fans do.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Re: I loved the Windows phone platform but we all know it's over. No apps. No one is making apps for

Yeah really wish Astoria was still going.... that was probably the biggest thing Windows 10 was going to offer. I've heard that you can still sideload though someway....

Was excited about Astoria and Islandwood...I was excited about Windows Phone...I was excited about Windows Media Center...excited about Zune...excited about Hololens. Not being a downer here but as a Microsoft enthusiast, I can't get excited about them at all anymore.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure how WM can be classified as not "trying to compete". If you carry a WM device, you do not carry an iPhone or Android phone (generally speaking). If you did not have WM, you would have an iPhone or Android phone. How is that not competition?
If WM was truly not competition, everyone carrying one would also carry an iPhone or Android.
I don't know; ask the fans. Microsoft seems to think we don't need another one, but its fans do.

Because not everyone needs the same things. If you want a pickup truck (which sell like hotcakes in the U.S.) because you need to carry around tools, you're not going to a BMW dealer. Yet BMW is doing OK.
The mobile market is not finished, as if it will never change. The "current" consumer market is set, but it won't last forever. To try to break into it now is suicide and irresponsible to shareholders. Design the next market. Create something fresh.
The current fans of Windows mobile will not determine where it goes because many of them want an app centric device like all the others. Innovation will drive where it goes which means some fans will leave, or already have, and new ones will join. In the mean time we have choices available to us so I don't quite understand the issue.

FYI: I enjoy talking about this and don't think I'm right or wrong, this is just my opinion. We all look at things differently and that's what makes talking about it fun.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Because not everyone needs the same things. If you want a pickup truck (which sell like hotcakes in the U.S.) because you need to carry around tools, you're not going to a BMW dealer. Yet BMW is doing OK.
The mobile market is not finished, as if it will never change. The "current" consumer market is set, but it won't last forever. To try to break into it now is suicide and irresponsible to shareholders. Design the next market. Create something fresh.
The current fans of Windows mobile will not determine where it goes because many of them want an app centric device like all the others. Innovation will drive where it goes which means some fans will leave, or already have, and new ones will join. In the mean time we have choices available to us so I don't quite understand the issue.

FYI: I enjoy talking about this and don't think I'm right or wrong, this is just my opinion. We all look at things differently and that's what makes talking about it fun.

I agree 110% with this post. But it does not address Microsoft competing or not competing with Apple and Google in mobile. No matter what Microsoft comes up with; WP, WM, WoA, if it is a compact pocketable device with LTE, it is trying to compete with iPhone and Android. Even if it is a new paradigm, it is trying to compete. If it is meant to use instead of iPhone and Android, it is trying to compete.

Microsoft is definitely trying to compete, but the thought is that they are not trying to go in and do the same thing. They are instead trying to create a new field that will displace the current paradigm. However, I'm not sure how much I buy that theory either. Either way, I think they have taken their foot off the proverbial accelerator and are coasting to a stop, with the deceleration maybe dragged out a bit in the wake of development on W10 desktop's overlap with W10M.

A non competing device would be something like the Surface tablet, where the use does not overlap, or very little at least. Nobody buys a Surface instead of an iPhone. A Surface is used along side a smartphone.

My FYI would mirror yours exactly. :grin:

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I agree 110% with this post. But it does not address Microsoft competing or not competing with Apple and Google in mobile. No matter what Microsoft comes up with; WP, WM, WoA, if it is a compact pocketable device with LTE, it is trying to compete with iPhone and Android. Even if it is a new paradigm, it is trying to compete. If it is meant to use instead of iPhone and Android, it is trying to compete.

Microsoft is definitely trying to compete, but the thought is that they are not trying to go in and do the same thing. They are instead trying to create a new field that will displace the current paradigm. However, I'm not sure how much I buy that theory either. Either way, I think they have taken their foot off the proverbial accelerator and are coasting to a stop, with the deceleration maybe dragged out a bit in the wake of development on W10 desktop's overlap with W10M.

A non competing device would be something like the Surface tablet, where the use does not overlap, or very little at least. Nobody buys a Surface instead of an iPhone. A Surface is used along side a smartphone.

My FYI would mirror yours exactly. :grin:

You're right, I may have been too simplistic in my description mostly because I'm not an expert but more of a hobbyist. It certainly is not 0% competition, but its not 100% either. There are areas of mutuality and some very different. I'm glad you brought up the Surface tablet because I believe that is the very path they are trying to take. Its success shows people are looking for different ways to communicate, work, and play. A similar pocketable device could bring a change to that particular market. I feel like while Androids and iPhone bring their own experience, it is only partially what we will expect in the future. If MS can lead that charge, people will follow even if only a small percentage.

BTW: Success is very subjective. I don't feel they have to match the others, as long as they find success in what they produce and enough people follow to create the revenue for it to continue.

mgalvin

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Well I'm now 6 months into my switch to android. I miss my windows phone I really do, but having access to the apps is no longer a "nice to have" for getting along in life, it's a must. My windows phone is now the house music phone with Spotify installed and I'm happy with the experience there, just albums pinned to the start, looks kinda kool! Anyway, Microsoft need to resurrect android apps on windows and fast. The experience will be compromised I'm sure.... but not half as compromised as it is without the apps.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just took some late evening outdoor pics with my 950XL and my iPhone 6S+. The quality of the 950XL is SO much better in low light, just way less noise. On the iPhone the beautiful dark blue night sky looks like a grainy mess. But: just when I needed to shoot something quickly, of course the camera button didn't launch the camera app (fast ring). And afterward I was not able to see the 950XL via USB, despite numerous phone and laptop restarts, and trying all different cable / port combinations. The iPhone makes the DCIM folder visible in about one second. Much better experience, aside from the crappy camera that is.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Well I'm now 6 months into my switch to android. I miss my windows phone I really do, but having access to the apps is no longer a "nice to have" for getting along in life, it's a must. My windows phone is now the house music phone with Spotify installed and I'm happy with the experience there, just albums pinned to the start, looks kinda kool! Anyway, Microsoft need to resurrect android apps on windows and fast. The experience will be compromised I'm sure.... but not half as compromised as it is without the apps.

I agree it's starting to become "a must", especially when you try the alternative such as through a web browser only to be greeted with "Unsupported Browser or Operating System Detected!". This happened with both my WD Cloud Drive and D-Link Wireless Cams. The "smart" in smartphone is slowly being sucked out of WM and that's the truth.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I agree. They made a huge mistake in trying to not compete with the IOS and Android and I think in the long run it will be the beginning of the end of MS as we know it. They simply had to be and stay a presence in mobile.

As far as why do we need another app centric device. For sales, period. There are millions of potential customers and every 1 of them has their 1 app they can't or simply aren't willing to do without. The problem is it's a different app for all of them. My father is the perfect example. He absolutely loves Windows Phone, loves the UI, loves pinning sites to the start page, loves everything about it. But there is 1 Comcast app he refuses to do without. So he has a Lumia 640 that I bought him that he plays with at the house, but uses a 7 year old iPhone for his daily driver. He wanted a Lumia 950 but he can't get the app he wants. No app, no purchase.

You have to be competing in the mobile space and you need to have apps if you want anyone to buy your phones. MS can't count on the PC market going forward, mobile is where it's at and MS is the only one who isn't there. Was a huge mistake and will lead to them eventually not being able to stay in the consumer side and become enterprise and cloud only at some point.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
To follow up on my previous comment four posts up, below are two cropped views from my 950XL and my iPhone 6S plus. Both pictures taken with the first-party / built in camera app, no post processing. I mean I like having iOS apps, but ...

lumia950xl_vs_iphone6splus.jpg

gentry33

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure where W10M is headed, especially with the 'enterprise device' mantra. The emphasis seems to be making what's there work as opposed to adding anything new. Just curious, besides live tiles and Continuum what would I really be giving up if I left?

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure where W10M is headed, especially with the 'enterprise device' mantra. The emphasis seems to be making what's there work as opposed to adding anything new. Just curious, besides live tiles and Continuum what would I really be giving up if I left?

Only you can answer that as we all use our devices differently.
To me its the overall experience that has me here. For you it may be different.

gentry33

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Let me rephrase, besides the start screen with the live tiles and Continuum what is unique to W10M that would no longer be available to me?

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Let me rephrase, besides the start screen with the live tiles and Continuum what is unique to W10M that would no longer be available to me?

To me its the UI and how it matches my laptop and SP4 so that everything works similarly, syncs together, and provides me with a fluid experience. Since I use MS programs like Word, OneNote, etc. I don't have to worry about compatibility. I prefer Cortana. I like Groove and how it syncs my music from OneDrive. These are a few things that make the experience pleasurable.

Again, you may be different so I can't answer for you. Best thing to do is try something different if you're inquisitive and see for yourself.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
To me its the UI and how it matches my laptop and SP4 so that everything works similarly, syncs together, and provides me with a fluid experience. Since I use MS programs like Word, OneNote, etc. I don't have to worry about compatibility. I prefer Cortana. I like Groove and how it syncs my music from OneDrive. These are a few things that make the experience pleasurable.

Again, you may be different so I can't answer for you. Best thing to do is try something different if you're inquisitive and see for yourself.

This!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how much you rely on emails but Outlook on W10M opens attachments sent as part of an email that was sent as an attachment. Only Outlook on PC does that. Even when using OWA you have to disable pop-up blocker for it to work.

It's not just Live Tiles and Continuum.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Your soul.

Seriously, as much as I love th UI on Windows Phone, I am so disgusted with MS that I would have left by now if it weren't for Apple and Google. I won't be caught dead using an Apple product for many reasons and I refuse to use any product made by a company that is essentially another branch of GOVT that thinks my life belongs to them. So there goes my 2 options. If I were forced, I would go Android and disable everything Google. But I just can't do it...yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12