Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Easy to explain: By putting the ticket on the phone they save print ticket stock, the hardware to print the ticket, the people necessary to print the tickets.

As I have stated on this site before, I work for the Arizona Diamondbacks in the ticket office selling tickets. We use the BallPark app for IOS and Android (sorry no windows app available). From there they can check in at the gate, upgrade to a higher priced section and even order their food seat side for delivery.

If they insist that we provide a hard copy ticket, (especially older folks and non tecky people), we charge them $3 per ticket to print and if they want to upgrade, we charge them a fee to upgrade plus the difference in price of the ticket. This is our third year of doing this. We got a lot of resistance at first but as people have caught on, they complain less.

We do provide live customer service people at the outside ticket booths and inside the stadium as well for those that can't seem to do what they want to do. All fee's still apply.

Long winded but my point is that all pro and college sports will be going with minimal live people as time goes by.
Hmm very interesting, thank you for explaining. I'm more of the kind of fan to buy via a computer and then print after buying.

I wouldn't have known that it goes down to all of that.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Easy to explain: By putting the ticket on the phone they save print ticket stock, the hardware to print the ticket, the people necessary to print the tickets.

As I have stated on this site before, I work for the Arizona Diamondbacks in the ticket office selling tickets. We use the BallPark app for IOS and Android (sorry no windows app available). From there they can check in at the gate, upgrade to a higher priced section and even order their food seat side for delivery.

If they insist that we provide a hard copy ticket, (especially older folks and non tecky people), we charge them $3 per ticket to print and if they want to upgrade, we charge them a fee to upgrade plus the difference in price of the ticket. This is our third year of doing this. We got a lot of resistance at first but as people have caught on, they complain less.

We do provide live customer service people at the outside ticket booths and inside the stadium as well for those that can't seem to do what they want to do. All fee's still apply.

Long winded but my point is that all pro and college sports will be going with minimal live people as time goes by.

That's more than reasonable since I buy online and print from home, just as I do with movie tix, etc. But they're not saving any payroll because you still need a body at the gate and now the added expense of scanners as well. C'est la vie.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
That's more than reasonable since I buy online and print from home, just as I do with movie tix, etc. But they're not saving any payroll because you still need a body at the gate and now the added expense of scanners as well. C'est la vie.
Of course it doesn't save them anything. They're obviously out to kill Windows phone. /s

I kid. There is an advantage somewhere, or they wouldn't do it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Of course it doesn't save them anything. They're obviously out to kill Windows phone. /s

I kid. There is an advantage somewhere, or they wouldn't do it.
This is not a political statement, just fact. Reducing payroll isn't just salary but the burden attached to it. Taxes, unemployment tax, worker's comp and healthcare are sometimes triple the actual salary. On Davis-Bacon jobs a $15/hr worker translates to $43 with burden. These are fed published figures so actual numbers are higher in some states. RIP George Carlin.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

Nitish_KSharma

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Should we start leaving Windows 10 Mobile now?

I have been wanting to ask this question here for a long time now. I am an old Windows Phone user. I have been using it since WP 7 and never technically have used any other phone as my primary phone except Symbian (when it was here and before Windows Phone). Right now I am on Lumia 830 on build 14393 of Windows 10 Mobile and my contract with my carrier expires in 2 months. Fido (Canada) is my carrier and like most of them it doesn't have any option in Windows Mobile now. So before I go for new phone, I want to discuss this here.

I started using Windows Phone a long time back. You can read my answer on "I keep coming back to Windows Phone" thread as well. Well, my answer there is why I stick to windows phone rather than coming back though. :p

Anyways, I am a ****** and even the idea of using an android or iPhone actually haunts me because well I don't like them. But before everything, I am a consumer. Microsoft has shown no love to our community in a long time now. They kept changing their strategies but we stayed with them. We stayed with the despite:
  • Random change in strategy for Windows Mobile/Phone
  • Lackluster updates for users
  • Better quality of their own apps on rival OS's
  • Back to back retraction of cool features
  • Delivering unfinished operating system
  • App Gap has widened

Now I wonder if it is smart to invest more money in this as I am a student and money is hard earned. There is no defining feature of Windows Mobile now. Sure, continuum is there but its still not as practical for masses like the once famous features were; such as Nokia MixRadio, Office apps, lenses only on Windows Phone etc. In fact the experience has worsened. The stability of OS is not as good as 7/8. Stability of native apps such as camera has also worsened. Quality of Cortana has been pathetic on 10. There used to be time when only Windows had a phone with 41 MP camera sensor or only Windows had offline maps or City Lens or something. Heck at least it was stable as a rock and fluid as water.

And of course the app gap. It has been bad lately. Even the giant software companies such as facebook or amazon do not treat Windows Mobile fairly. So if they don't have any trust in MS's mobile dreams, should we also start packing?

They haven't delivered anything substantial in years now. Even the last flagships they shipped, they were with unfinished operating system. If they have moved on to be "enterprise only", is it smart to stay here anymore? Once in while we see some wild feature that makes us a little hopeful or a job opening at MS for WM but at the end of the day we are still treated as second class citizen in Microsoft's own apps. We heard a lot a bout "mobile first cloud first" vision but what has it actually bought us? The worst part is there is still no clear message on the future of Windows 10 Mobile from Microsoft's side. Are you going to shut it? Is it explicitly enterprise only now? You have no love for us? Are you bringing any phone? If you want to shut it why not just say it; why keep us waiting? Or tell us that you will take some time now to consolidate things and come back with an earth shattering product.

So I actually want to know other people's views if we (hardcore Windows Phone fans who have stayed here for a long time now, not the people who jumped ships) should start considering other options now or should stay and why?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Should we start leaving Windows 10 Mobile now?

Well written and you make the usual good points.
With that said this is an ages old debate here at WC.

I see no reason to leave if the platform works for you today.
Microsoft's direction may be forcing quite a few off the wagon.

I don't think Microsoft Mobile will ever die as long as there is at least one fan out there.
All this debate gets past me frankly because MS business practices in the handheld market defy common sense.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site

I don't see a reason to. I'm not sure what your update pattern is with mobile devices but it seems most people upgrade our switch every couple of years. I'm willing to invest in this os for the next couple of years as it will still work just fine.

After that? Who knows what direction it may go but I don't see any issues in the immediate future.

If you enjoy the os then stay on it and keep enjoying it.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

The platform is not going to suddenly stop working tomorrow.
If you like it, there is no reason not to continue to use it.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

gjbcapital

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site

I have an iPhone SE also but I like the wm10 better. Its more adventurous :). I find no reason to abandon it unless they abandon the platform.

Nitish_KSharma

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I don't see a reason to. I'm not sure what your update pattern is with mobile devices but it seems most people upgrade our switch every couple of years. I'm willing to invest in this os for the next couple of years as it will still work just fine.

After that? Who knows what direction it may go but I don't see any issues in the immediate future.

If you enjoy the os then stay on it and keep enjoying it.

I update my device after a couple of years too. So far I've owned many Lumias (710, 2 720's, 625, 730, 920 and now 830) but I have never been more frustrated or unhappy with the state of Windows Mobile.

After writing this long comment I went on a walk. It was sunny day in Ottawa and I tried clicking random pics of the beautiful city. In the period of 45 minutes walk, my phone stopped all apps twice and thrice the phone turned off. Its odd actually because usually its not that bad. But with this new camera I've been facing problem ever since. Things like these have made me think this way. :/

Nitish_KSharma

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Well written and you make the usual good points.
With that said this is an ages old debate here at WC.

I see no reason to leave if the platform works for you today.
Microsoft's direction may be forcing quite a few off the wagon.

I don't think Microsoft Mobile will ever die as long as there is at least one fan out there.
All this debate gets past me frankly because MS business practices in the handheld market defy common sense.

Yeah I know its an old debate but I recently started thinking about it because now I will upgrade my device and quite honestly its about the money. I don't think Windows Mobile is offering quality worth my hard earned money. So, there has to be at least some ray of hope which sadly isn't. Heck its been deteriorating.

Nitish_KSharma

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
One more thing, how many of you here use just Windows Mobile device and no other complementary android or iPhone as secondary device. How has your experience been lately? and if the switch is made, which one do you think is more suited for someone like me who will change platform after probably 6 years of Windows Phone use.
P.S. I hate both of them as I am equally uncomfortable on both of them

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
One more thing, how many of you here use just Windows Mobile device and no other complementary android or iPhone as secondary device. How has your experience been lately? and if the switch is made, which one do you think is more suited for someone like me who will change platform after probably 6 years of Windows Phone use.

I do, and my experience has been great, but we're all different. Hard to say how it would be for others. I don't use a lot of apps, just twitter, flipboard, MS apps, etc. Email, texting, weather. For me the UI is the best and I won't settle for anything less.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I do, and my experience has been great, but we're all different. Hard to say how it would be for others. I don't use a lot of apps, just twitter, flipboard, MS apps, etc. Email, texting, weather. For me the UI is the best and I won't settle for anything less.

Totally agreed. The Windows Mobile UI is slick and professional and the other platforms don't come close in that respect.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

In the period of 45 minutes walk, my phone stopped all apps twice and thrice the phone turned off. Its odd actually because usually its not that bad. But with this new camera I've been facing problem ever since. Things like these have made me think this way. :/

I've used upgrade to W10M on Lumia 1520 and Lumia 640. I've also used built for W10M on Moly W5, Lumia 650 and Alcatel Idol 4S Windows. I cannot explain why, but built for W10M devices seem to run the OS better than upgrade to units.

After the 650, I tried an Android phone for about a month... Could not do it. Came back to the 650 and sold the Android (an Alcatel Idol 3). I don't keep any secondary device. I do still have a Nexus 7 (2013) tablet and I have not touched that for long months. I just have no need. There is no compelling app I just gotta use. I am reconfirmed that this platform is best for me and how I use a mobile device.

If you do have to switch, I would think Android offers better value and greater choice than iOS.

If you do stay... Lumia 650 actually has a great experience, IMHO and you an still get some BNIB deals if you hunt around. If you have a few more CAD to throw around, look at the Idol 4S. Your problem on Fido is going to be that Band 17 LTE unless they have interoperability for Band 12...

YMMV

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Totally agreed. The Windows Mobile UI is slick and professional and the other platforms don't come close in that respect.

I should add, I was a big BlackBerry user for a long time. Then I switched to Android for several years. I also used iPhone at the beginning (through the 3s) and did try the 6 but found it unusable. So its not as if I have no experience with the other OS's. Just wanted to point that out.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Nitish_KSharma

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I've used upgrade to W10M on Lumia 1520 and Lumia 640. I've also used built for W10M on Moly W5, Lumia 650 and Alcatel Idol 4S Windows. I cannot explain why, but built for W10M devices seem to run the OS better than upgrade to units.
That's very true that built for W10M devices work better but upgrade seems to do something weird about it. Doesn't MS know that? :/

I've used 650 as well. Its a good phone for its price. My brother uses it. We switched our devices once to have fun. But I don't like going back to 6xx after 830. 830 is a very solid device and beautiful as well. 650 is very generic. I'll keep on doing more research and hope they launch something or at least give us some good news

and don't say android :(, android sucks. Its very.......... static. I played around with Moto G4 plus recently. The device itself is very good. Their store serves ads before showing apps but apps are very superior on it undoubtedly. aaaah the life is tough for Windows Mobile fans.

Yeah idol 4s actually looks nice. I haven't tried the device as well. If I find a solid Windows device (preferably on contract) I can change carriers, that's not the biggest problem.

Microsoft should just make Windows Mobile better and take it seriously and make my life easier. :|

Nitish_KSharma

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

All that experience is on the basis of idol 4S or any other device? because I saw you said you have used bb, android and iOS as well and I've used none except Windows.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
All that experience is on the basis of idol 4S or any other device? because I saw you said you have used bb, android and iOS as well and I've used none except Windows.

As far as WM, I've had a 920 , an 830, a 640, a 950, and now the Idol4s.
I used to be a chronic switcher, switching frequently between both OS's and individual devices. I finally decided I wanted to settle on what I felt was the best one, overall, for me.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
As far as WM, I've had a 920 , an 830, a 640, a 950, and now the Idol4s.
I used to be a chronic switcher, switching frequently between both OS's and individual devices. I finally decided I wanted to settle on what I felt was the best one, overall, for me.

I'm not as much of a chronic switcher as I've been in the past because the Idol is everything I need from Windows 10 Mobile. I've shelved my Passport begrudgingly due to not having any way of syncing with my Band 2. It's a shame because it could do what my Idol and iPhone combined could do. Didn't need to carry 2 devices but I've gotten way too attached to my Band.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss