Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm not as much of a chronic switcher as I've been in the past because the Idol is everything I need from Windows 10 Mobile. I've shelved my Passport begrudgingly due to not having any way of syncing with my Band 2. It's a shame because it could do what my Idol and iPhone combined could do. Didn't need to carry 2 devices but I've gotten way too attached to my Band.

I have a band but don't use it, I just can't get into fitness watches/bands. I use them and then wonder why? The fact I know I took 9235 steps today doesn't do me any good. I walk/bike as much as I can. On the other hand, I enjoy wearing a nice watch because it does what it does (tells me the time) and is a fashion accessory. Plus I marvel at their mechanical design. Fitness bans are huge right now though and a lot of people love them.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Oh ... C'mon :)
You love to buy new stuff.
Don't slow down now ... what's next?

The x3 follow up. If it's significantly better than the Idol. With Apple dropping the mechanical home button and 3.5 audio jack with the 7, I see no reason to move on from my 6S+. Android is such a mess that I can't see myself getting anything for now. Oreo has to bring its A game because Nougat is an abortion that lived.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a band but don't use it, I just can't get into fitness watches/bands. I use them and then wonder why? The fact I know I took 9235 steps today doesn't do me any good. I walk/bike as much as I can. On the other hand, I enjoy wearing a nice watch because it does what it does (tells me the time) and is a fashion accessory. Plus I marvel at their mechanical design. Fitness bans are huge right now though and a lot of people love them.

It's about the notifications for me. It's too convenient to glance at my wrist to see who's calling, texting or emailing me. Being the chronic switcher that I am it's sweet that it supports all 3 platforms. Not many do.

Having had a heart attack 5 years ago, the heart rate monitor helps keep the Cuban temper in check. Sometimes, that still needs work.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok so I got an email that FB messenger app is going to be retired on windows phone 8.1 at the end of the month. Looks like the update earlier in the month was to sneak that in. This is an app I use quite a lot to keep in touch with people, and unfortunately, that's probably going to make me bite the bullet and move on.

I've been researching a lumia 950, but just can't see why I'd spend the money on one now, considering I have to source one on ebay, since they're not being sold by any store any more in Australia, so I'm probably going to go to android now. Really annoyed that they're pulling the plug rather than just let users keep going with at least some functionality.

Blackadder_100

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Ok so I got an email that FB messenger app is going to be retired on windows phone 8.1 at the end of the month. Looks like the update earlier in the month was to sneak that in. This is an app I use quite a lot to keep in touch with people, and unfortunately, that's probably going to make me bite the bullet and move on.

I've been researching a lumia 950, but just can't see why I'd spend the money on one now, considering I have to source one on ebay, since they're not being sold by any store any more in Australia, so I'm probably going to go to android now. Really annoyed that they're pulling the plug rather than just let users keep going with at least some functionality.
Yes I got that email as well...I've re-enabled the option to get notification emails from FB when a message comes in, which has a link to take you straight to Messenger on the mobile site...that will have to do as a workaround for now. No W10M handsets that appeal to me in my country. Looks like another nail in the coffin unfortunately.

Igor Balnozan

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site
Hi guys, i am very new Windows user and for now i am really satisfied how the system is working.
I know that i am going to ask very old and maybe little stupid question but does anyone have any idea will project Astoria ever come back.
My lumia 640 xl is fast, all apps that i am using are running fine, of course it could be better but after 9 years of Android i am really satisfied, i can just imagine how 950 works :)
I am following new about Windows every day and i hope that they will improve this system.
There is much work that they needs to be done, for exmpl: why i cannot see my phone in networks on my PC etc..
Anything about Astoria ?
TNX !!!! :)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
About Band 2...

It's about the notifications for me. It's too convenient to glance at my wrist to see who's calling, texting or emailing me. Being the chronic switcher that I am it's sweet that it supports all 3 platforms. Not many do.

Having had a heart attack 5 years ago, the heart rate monitor helps keep the Cuban temper in check. Sometimes, that still needs work.

And I'd add weather at a glance, step tracking and stairs, passive UV tracking and one of my favorites... Cortana on your wrist.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
About Band 2...

And I'd add weather at a glance, step tracking and stairs, passive UV tracking and one of my favorites... Cortana on your wrist.

Well, Cortana only works on Windows. It was never supported on iOS and Android dropped support earlier this year through an "update". Funny you mention the step counter and stairs. I freak at the end of the day when my step counter is over 10k and the stair count shows 20-25 floors climbed.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Well there's a new feature you should tell them about, temper checker!
Notifications are the one thing I thought these types of devices would be good at. I know my wife glances at text messages as they come in on her Fitbit whatever she wears.
Interestingly, I was reading an article where some companies were trying to combine classic watches with basic features like notifications. If they had decent battery life, or could be automatic winding, I might find that interesting.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If they had decent battery life, or could be automatic winding, I might find that interesting.

If they would make this smart, I'd be all over it. Of course, it is very smart in it's own way.

144C3.334K14_1400.jpg

I have the Winchester Plaza in black/black and I get compliments on it whenever I wear it. My favorite watch and a special gift. My not yet then wife asked me what I liked in a watch and I promptly replied a fully skeletonized hand wind... She'd never heard of fully skeletonized before, but promptly found the Winchester Plaza and gifted it to me.

333N.335554_1400.jpg

SatanWantYou

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: An honest Lumia 920 review: Why I'm returning to an iPhone 5

Hello guys,so..will messenger app will definitely stop working?I mean it will not get an update?I have an samsung ativ s,but if this happens i will be throwing it to the garbage and never buying a microsoft product ever again.A few months i was thinking of buying lumia 950,good that i didnt buyed that crappy phone it maybe good at hardware but the software its not,i heard it will work on windows 10 but still i dont care,its still a usseles os cause the only difference from 8.1 and 10 is the design.As a next phone i will Still waiting for the nokia 6 to appear to my country or i will wait for the price of a5 2017 to drop a little and buy it.

JetFixxxer

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Had a good run, wish it didn't have to end

After 3 years with my Icon I must now downgrade to Android. I had hope (still do) that MS (or another) would released new phone that would work with Verizon.

I could find another icon online or replace my battery, but its old hardware and apps that I could use are not available for the WP except for Tappd.

I hope to come back to the WP once and if MS(or another company) decides to release new hardware that will work on Verizon.

Last edited:

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Re: Had a good run, wish it didn't have to end

Lumina 735 works on Verizon and I understand they are still selling them (even though I got mine from MS). Works nice. But, if you want Android, have fun.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Re: Had a good run, wish it didn't have to end

After 3 years with my Icon i must now downgrade to Android. I had hope (still do) that MS (or another) would released new phone that would work with Verizon.

I could find another icon online or replace my battery, but its old hardware and apps that i could use are not available for the WP except for Tappd.

i hope to come back to the WP once and if MS(or another company) decides to release new hardware that will work on Verizon.

I would highly recommend a Moto Z Force Droid. It is pure Android, the battery life is the best I've experienced on an Android Phone, Camera rates an 87 on DxoMark and the mods are actually helpful.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Me and my big mouth. I showed my wife the Gatsby Plaza in rose gold/brown and she promptly found it on Overstock for 70% off. Plus a Delphi Chariot in stainless/black with blue accents on the dial for 86% off.

Good thing she doesn't pay retail for this kind of stuff. :winktongue:

I'm not into skeleton watches but I kinda like that Delphi!
Mine are mostly german made automatics. Sinn 856i, Stowa b2b, Archimede classic 39, etc. I had to cut back because it was getting out of hand.

xmethodx

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
Hi Laura,

Sorry for the late reply. I will be replacing it with either a Samsung or Sony. The new S8 just got released, it looks quite good but nothing really new feature wise. One other annoying thing about the Lumia 950 was the lack of a finger print scanner. Samsung is making the news on TV here today with the S8 iris scanner and as usual, no one here in .au even knows the Lumia 950 has had this for a long time. A cool feature at first but it got really annoying having to bring the phone up in front of my face when say sitting back on the couch etc. Finger print reader is so much more convenient. MS should have implemented both on this phone and after paying $1000 for it when it was released, even if it cost an extra $20 for the feature to be added I'm sure customers would have paid the difference.

A lot of fan boys seem to say that whining about the phone here wont change a thing, but if we can't whine here, where would MS get customer feedback from? The Feedback app certainly doesn't get looked at and as I mentioned, issues that have been on the phones software for over a year still remain issues. Maybe someone from MS will read this and work out why the phone division is failing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium